Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Massive jump in DOE test fees- RSA

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Commercials are tested very year and busses and Taxi's every six months. NCT, four years from new and two year intervals?

Every six months? Since when?

Commercials are tested very year and busses and Taxi's every six months. NCT, four years from new and two year intervals?

He meant the difference between how long it takes to do the test, as in hours and minutes......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

aaakev wrote: »
    Fair enough, i read it that you thought place that tests vehicles and also repairs them is going to be up to no good...

One will meet all kinds. Many moons ago my Hiace had a fail due to a bad bearing, the mechanic said "I can book you in immediately for €150 or slip me €80 and I'll fix it in the line" ~ he did.

Every six months? Since when?

I believe it's in the raft of changes since the first of this month.

Ardeehey wrote: »
    Price increases are unfortunate but job needs to be done, just ask the family of the poor schoolkid that was killed and the rest injured in Offaly a couple of years back...rear axle came off the bus!

No one is saying that vehicles dont need to be tested. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

To best of my knowledge you can only buy pads in sets for both sides. Total 4 pads.
    I have a feeling OP is mistaken only one pad was fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,158 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

visual wrote: »
    To best of my knowledge you can only buy pads in sets for both sides. Total 4 pads.
    I have a feeling OP is mistaken only one pad was fitted.

Yep, pads are sold in sets these days.

You should always change brake pads on both sides of an axle at the same time, but unfortunately there are still people out there who think they are saving money by only changing one side if they think they can get away with it.

Yep, pads are sold in sets these days.

You should always change brake pads on both sides of an axle at the same time, but unfortunately there are still people out there who think they are saving money by only changing one side if they think they can get away with it.

I'd say OP is just making a mistake.
    Otherwise mechanic is a loon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

I'd say OP is just making a mistake.
    Otherwise mechanic is a loon.

Yeah I said earlier that my knowledge of motoring terms is limited. He probably changed 2 brake pads so.

Can't see why he is an idiot. He saved me from having to pay approx €750.
    The van passed te doe and I drove it for another year. Does that make him an idiot?

As another poster mentioned maybe they gave me an estimate. Maybe. But if so it put me off.

Not entirely sure why I'm being attacked here. I'm posting a factual account of what happened about 3 years ago.

I've already stated clearly that I wasn't tarring all garages with the same brush. Quite clearly stated that in my second post as well as explaining my brake pad terminology in other posts!

Can't see why he is an idiot. He saved me from having to pay approx €750.
    The van passed te doe and I drove it for another year. Does that make him an idiot?

I know lots of mechanics that could save you money. They would be more than happy to let you drive your vehicle on nearly bald tyres and with uneven wear on your brake pads. But at least you saved money!
    As another poster mentioned maybe they gave me an estimate. Maybe. But if so it put me off.

Did you pay the garage and let them properly inspect your car?

• Advertisement

Any (independent) mechanic worth his salt should be able to give a reasonably accurate estimate based on a DOE fail sheet.

The only major hurdle would be if there is an emission fault.

I had one experience of a DOE centre when, just as I picked up the keys after a van failed the test, they had an estimate already conveniently prepared for me.

I got my own mechanic to do it for less than half the price.

The reason why is that a main dealer will supply main dealer original parts, eg, branded brake pads costing say, 80euros as opposed to OEM costing E25, along with around E60 per hour labour- they've got to pay for the big fancy glass forecourt.

The same goes for filters, bearings, track rod ends etc.

Develop a good relationship with a motor factors and a good mechanic and you will save big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

D.O.E Test? Lol. I buy a lot of vans, I take the DOE as being bull till proved otherwise. You can buy a doe, it'll cost a few bob more than the legit test, but it's there to be bought regardless. I now tend to buy not doe'd vans, as it saves me having to pay €1000 extra for a madey-uppey piece of paper. I DOE them myself, at a center I know and trust, for peace of mind. €98 versus €70 ish? Big deal. It's €30. It's not the end of the world.

Any (independent) mechanic worth his salt should be able to give a reasonably accurate estimate based on a DOE fail sheet.

The Alternator warning light is on the vehicle dash. What do you quote for on the estimate?

- Do you quote 5 minutes labour for a fuse?
    - Do you quote 2 hours labour checking for a wiring fault?
    - Do you include the price of a new alternator in case it is a fault with that?

You haven't even touched or seen the vehicle, what do you quote for? Remember now, if you didn't quote for the alternator and it turns out that the alternator is actually faulty well now you are a rip-off garage doing things that you never quoted for. So come on, whats in your estimate?

The problem with the original story is that one garage had to do an estimate sight unseen, while the second mechanic was given the car and told to try and fix it, and the OP is shocked that there might be a price difference between the two. Imagine that.

D.O.E Test? Lol. I buy a lot of vans, I take the DOE as being bull till proved otherwise. You can buy a doe, it'll cost a few bob more than the legit test, but it's there to be bought regardless. I now tend to buy not doe'd vans, as it saves me having to pay €1000 extra for a madey-uppey piece of paper. I DOE them myself, at a center I know and trust, for peace of mind. €98 versus €70 ish? Big deal. It's €30. It's not the end of the world.

For this reason, from this month, you're out.

The Alternator warning light is on the vehicle dash. What do you quote for on the estimate?

- Do you quote 5 minutes labour for a fuse?
    - Do you quote 2 hours labour checking for a wiring fault?
    - Do you include the price of a new alternator in case it is a fault with that?

You haven't even touched or seen the vehicle, what do you quote for? Remember now, if you didn't quote for the alternator and it turns out that the alternator is actually faulty well now you are a rip-off garage doing things that you never quoted for. So come on, whats in your estimate?

The problem with the original story is that one garage had to do an estimate sight unseen, while the second mechanic was given the car and told to try and fix it, and the OP is shocked that there might be a price difference between the two. Imagine that.

Wouldnt an alternator light would point to a faulty or wearing alternator or a bad earth?

A reconditioned/exchange alternator is in the region of E70. Not terribly big money either way and not difficult to replace either 2 or 3 bolts. If its an oldish vehicle might as well change it anyway, it wont last forever.

Replacing a blown fuse wont cure an alternator/battery light on dash problem.

Shorts blowing fuses on the other hand can take hours to trace admittedly.
    But I think from my reading this is not the case here.

Wouldnt an alternator light would point to a faulty or wearing alternator or a bad earth?

A reconditioned/exchange alternator is in the region of E70. Not terribly big money either way and not difficult to replace either 2 or 3 bolts. If its an oldish vehicle might as well change it anyway, it wont last forever.

Replacing a blown fuse wont cure an alternator/battery light on dash problem.

Shorts blowing fuses on the other hand can take hours to trace admittedly.
    But I think from my reading this is not the case here.

You don't need to tell me any of that. So what would you put on your sight unseen estimate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

For this reason, from this month, you're out.
    In as much as? I take them, replace the brakes, tyres, all bulbs, whatever needs doing and then get them actually tested as opposed to pretendey tested. I highly doubt i'm out, tbh. :)

You don't need to tell me any of that. So what would you put on your sight unseen estimate?

I wouldnt give nor expect to receive any accurate sight unseen estimate whether for plumbing or mechanical repair work, would you?

In as much as? I take them, replace the brakes, tyres, all bulbs, whatever needs doing and then get them actually tested as opposed to pretendey tested. I highly doubt i'm out, tbh. :)

My simple story, many moons ago, took van to test centre, failed, sold van, told buyer it failed, he came back to show me certificate, three years later told me it was the BEST van he ever had.

So anything goes. And I suppose, it still can.

Point not to missed though, in all [my] cases the vehicle was sound.

I wouldnt give nor expect to receive any accurate sight unseen estimate whether for plumbing or mechanical repair work, would you?

I have many times been asked to prepare an estimate based on nothing but a DOE failure list. Its part of the job, I do not have any choice in the matter. All I can do is work on a worst case scenario, and we are instructed to overestimate not underestimate as customers are rarely rational about the final invoice exceeding the estimated costs.

Clearly you yourself would not attempt an estimate based on nothing but the knowledge that the alternator light is on, which brings us back to the original story. He received a sight unseen estimate which obviously was based on the worst case scenario of service, replace alternator, replace brake pads and replace tyre.

Then on the internet this becomes another horrific tale of a nasty dealer trying to rip off the poor driver.

• Advertisement

I have many times been asked to prepare an estimate based on nothing but a DOE failure list. Its part of the job, I do not have any choice in the matter. All I can do is work on a worst case scenario, and we are instructed to overestimate not underestimate as customers are rarely rational about the final invoice exceeding the estimated costs.

Clearly you yourself would not attempt an estimate based on nothing but the knowledge that the alternator light is on, which brings us back to the original story. He received a sight unseen estimate which obviously was based on the worst case scenario of service, replace alternator, replace brake pads and replace tyre.

Then on the internet this becomes another horrific tale of a nasty dealer trying to rip off the poor driver.

He says he was quoted 850 plus vat.

A thousand euro for replacing a fuse or an alternator, brake pads and a tyre.............

No wonder he feels slightly screwed.

He says he was quoted 850 plus vat.

A thousand euro for replacing a fuse or an alternator, brake pads and a tyre.............

No wonder he feels slightly screwed.

See how the figures grow...

Even just you repeating the story have inflated everything to paint a picture. €850 isnt a thousand euro. It wasn't replacing a fuse. It wasn't one brake pad. There was also a service included which you decline to mention.

But thats besides the point. He isn't allowed to feel screwed by the first garage, it seems he never even let them see the van at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,720 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If it was cheap we would all test more often
    Fact that it's not cheap is reason people get it done for a 20.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Even just you repeating the story have inflated everything to paint a picture. €850 isnt a thousand euro. It wasn't replacing a fuse. It wasn't one brake pad. There was also a service included which you decline to mention.

But thats besides the point. He isn't allowed to feel screwed by the first garage, it seems he never even let them see the van at all.

Maybe then the problem is with communication.

I left my van in at 8am that morning. Some time after 12 I got a call to say it failed because of x, y and z.

As an average punter who just wanted to pass and go home without having to bring it back again I naturally asked how much it would cost to bring it to passing. about half an hour later I get a call with the bad news. At the time it never even entered my head that it may have been an estimate so naturally at that price I declined.

Communication issue? Maybe
    But to be so far off the mark. At no point was I told the possible lower end of the scale.

850 plus vat is how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Ardeehey wrote: »
    Price increases are unfortunate but job needs to be done, just ask the family of the poor schoolkid that was killed and the rest injured in Offaly a couple of years back...rear axle came off the bus!

IIRC this bus was 'tested', at least on paper. Charging Joe Soap more to test his Berliingo won't cure the issues around how this bus was tested IMO......bit of a bogus argument

850 plus vat is how much?

Apologies. In my industry everything is a figure without vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

put me van through the doe today,failed on rear brake imbalance,(2% off!!!!!)was'nt happy handing over €110,just to add insult to injury its €43 for a retest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Its really crazy the cost of this test now. I dont have a commercial but I can see its not fair. If you end up failing and needing re test, its the guts of €200 if counting alittle diesel cost also and thats every year.
    Who decided that this increase was a good idea? I believe its some form of levy that has been added to the cost. Whats it for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

mickdw wrote: »
    Its really crazy the cost of this test now. I dont have a commercial but I can see its not fair. If you end up failing and needing re test, its the guts of €200 if counting alittle diesel cost also and thats every year.
    Who decided that this increase was a good idea? I believe its some form of levy that has been added to the cost. Whats it for?

I was getting my focus test today and everyone was complaining about the price increase. It's apparently to cover new computers and equipment. It's very different in there now most stuff going in was failing while I was there very strict. Also the test is back dated. So if you van is 6 months out of test and it passes you only get a cert for 6 months. Where as before it was always a year from the day it was tested. Anyway I passed and I am getting the disc in the post next week it goes up on the window like an nct.

Advertisement