Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Respecting a belief because it is based on religion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

The mods are really oppressive and will ban anyone just because they have a different opinion to them, at least thats what they claim before they get banned after making insulting comments about everyone with 0 basis.

So what about GAA? yay or nay?

You might wish to re read my post where I mentioned Hurling (real hurling mind you, not the tippy tappy stuff that Clare play)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Atari private maternity hospital.
    You might wish to re read my post where I mentioned Hurling (real hurling mind you, not the tippy tappy stuff that Clare play)

Oh, what...the stuff that just won them the all Ireland? That tippy tappy stuff? You're definitely trolling now :mad::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

... I'd be a ...gee gees man.

You're a jockey? Because I don't think watching horse racing qualifies as a sport.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    You're a jockey? Because I don't think watching horse racing qualifies as a sport.

In fairness, there's not a lot of professional footballers either, but many, many misguided people who qualify it as a sport.

Obliq wrote: »
    Shows what you know about atheists - once you've met an atheist, you've met ONE atheist. Mind you, I got into cricket cos my London man has finally managed to explain it to me over the last few years, but hurling is the business and I've converted him to it too. Also not keen on foxes as I have hens (which I kill all by myself with my pretty little atheist hands). So bang goes your theory :D

Enjoy your stay...

You seem like a down to earth lady, although I am always a little wary of women who seem to expect a pat on the back for just being natural and not acting all 'poor little me girly'

• Advertisement

You seem like a down to earth lady, although I am always a little wary of women who seem to expect a pat on the back for just being natural and not acting all 'poor little me girly'

Bloody hell, I was proving you wrong, not looking for a pat on the back. Take it like a man, would ya?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

WTF?
    [...] 'poor little me girly'
    Dan, that's your first card. Your next breach of the forum charter will earn you a red card, and anything after that will earn you a ban.

Ah Robin, I think you should have banned him outright for what he said about Clare hurling :rolleyes: But I'll promise not to feed him anymore.

Ah Robin, I think you should have banned him outright for what he said about Clare hurling :rolleyes: But I'll promise not to feed him anymore.

Thanks Obliq, I'll say a prayer for you.

Thanks Obliq, I'll say a prayer for you.

Oh Christ. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

No.
    So... respecting beliefs just because they're based on religion, eh?

Arseholes to that, I say.

Does anyone know whose feastday it is today, I can't find my diary.

No.
    Freya, if my memory of Norse gods serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Does anyone know whose feastday it is today, I can't find my diary.

All of these, according to http://www.catholic.org/saints/f_day/oct.php

St. Kenneth
    St. Canice
    St. Gummarus
    St. Maria Soledad
    St. Agilbert
    St. Alexander Sauli
    St. Anastasius V
    St. AnsilloSt. Tharacus
    St. Sarmata
    St. Damien of Molokai
    St. Ethelburga of Barking
    St. Eufridus
    St. Firminus of Uzes
    St. Juliana of Pavilly
    St. Nectarius
    St. Peter Tuy
    St. Placidia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

St Gummarus? Patron of dentists, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

No, but I was born in a stable because there was no room in the inn.
    Banbh wrote: »

No, geriatric bj's I believe

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

kylith wrote: »
    All of these, according to http://www.catholic.org/saints/f_day/oct.php

St. Kenneth
    St. Canice
    St. Gummarus
    St. Maria Soledad
    St. Agilbert
    St. Alexander Sauli
    St. Anastasius V
    St. AnsilloSt. Tharacus
    St. Sarmata
    St. Damien of Molokai
    St. Ethelburga of Barking
    St. Eufridus
    St. Firminus of Uzes
    St. Juliana of Pavilly
    St. Nectarius
    St. Peter Tuy
    St. Placidia

Ah Good old St. Æthelburh of Barking -Benedictine abbess, virgin daughter of the king of the East Angles and sister of Sts. Eronwald, Etheldreda, Sexburga, and Withburga.*

According to The 9th century Old English Martyrology a nun from Barking ( *snort* ) recounted a vision where she saw Æthelburh being drawn up into heaven by golden chains. Which is interesting given that Æthelburh's grave in in Barking....wonder if anyone has checked if 'she' is still in there....

*Must go and have another read of Bead soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,185 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Oddly enough, we were never taught about Saint Sex Burger at school, wonder why...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

No.
    Mmm, sex burger...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

I assume Herr Ratzinger, once deified beatified will be allocated a day of the year as well? Hopefully it will turn out to be International Gay Pride Day or something similar.

• Advertisement

...tasty, but after ten minutes you'll feel like another one.

Edit: Damn you swampgas :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Oddly enough, we were never taught about Saint Sex Burger at school, wonder why...

Possibly because her daddy's name was Anna*...:eek:
    Feastday: July 6
    Died: 699

Sexburga was one of four daughters of the English king Anna honored as saints. During her twenty-four years of marriage to King Erconbert of Kent, Sexburga gave birth to four children, two of whom are likewise venerated as saints (her daughters Ercongota and Ermenilda). As queen, she was revered for her piety and humility. Following her husband’s death, Sexburga was able to satisfy her long-standing desire to consecrate her life completely to the service of God, entering a convent she had previously founded at Minster-in-Sheppey. Thereafter, Sexburga sought a yet more hidden life in order to focus her thoughts upon heaven. This prompted her to transfer to the convent founded by her sister Saint Etheldreda at Ely. Despite her hopes for a hidden existence, Sexburga was chosen to succeed her sister as Ely’s abbess. It was Sexburga who ordered the opening of Etheldreda’s tomb after sixteen years. A doctor waiting outside the tent erected over the tomb for the exhumation overheard Sexburga within the tent suddenly exclaim, “Glory to the name of the Lord!” Her sister’s body had been found to be totally incorrupt
    http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=5826

Bit of a family business going on back then m'thinks.

*seriously, you couldn't make this **** up!

swampgas wrote: »
    I assume Herr Ratzinger, once deified beatified will be allocated a day of the year as well? Hopefully it will turn out to be International Gay Pride Day or something similar.

Oh, that can be arranged, no matter what day they pick ;)

Banbh wrote: »

St Gummers aka Gumbert 717 - 774

Feastday: October 11

Patron of childless people, courtiers, cowherds, difficult marriages, glove makers, hernia sufferers, separated spouses, woodcutters

How can we not respect the saint of hernias, cowherds and difficult marriages?

Gummer's marriage to Guinimaria was a bit of a trail for him apparently. He pops off for 8 years to a war (a righteous one no doubt) only to find when he got back that she had lost the run of herself and moved all the furniture around and was refusing to give free beer to the harvesters....so he dumped her.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    ...Etheldreda,

I was married in a St Etheldreda's way back. :)

Such a beautiful, lilting name. It just flows off the tongue.

No.
    Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Gummer's marriage to Guinimaria was a bit of a trail for him apparently. He pops off for 8 years to a war (a righteous one no doubt) only to find when he got back that she had lost the run of herself and moved all the furniture around and was refusing to give free beer to the harvesters....so he dumped her.

I'm confused; You seem to be suggesting that the whole beatification process is, when you get right down to it, nothing more than a "Who's The Biggest C*nt" competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Don't pick this one.
    Sarky wrote: »
    I'm confused; You seem to be suggesting that the whole beatification process is, when you get right down to it, nothing more than a "Who's The Biggest C*nt" competition?

Cardinal Brady must be a shoe-in, then.

Sarky wrote: »

As if I would suggest a thing which is likely to cause offence to a substantial number of people. :eek:

Nooooes, I am simply relaying the relevant information and allowing people the opportunity to have offensive thoughts in the privacy of their own minds. While they still can....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Personally it wouldn't bother me if an atheist/agnostic did or did not respect my beliefs. I don't know too many of them anyway as in general they tend to be 1 nerdy loner types who have 2no interest in sport, 3 drink green tea, and are 4 vain in the extreme.

1 Ok you got me on nerdy (well kind of, I know lots nerdier), but lonely, nah, not a hope.

2 I love sport, I'm involved in the local GAA as both player and administrator, watch rugby and soccer a lot, love cycling, like cricket (wish it were back on C4 so I could watch it).

3 I'll have coffee, thank you very much. Though I never say no to tea if offered.

4 Me, vain? If you ever saw pictures of me you'd know that's not true.

I'll tell you one thing I'm not though, I don't denigrate whole groups of others based on imaginary traits I believe all the members of those groups have in common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

Oh, what...the stuff that just won them the all Ireland? That tippy tappy stuff? You're definitely trolling now :mad::pac:

Eh, best not worry about it. With a pseudonym like that, I'd wager he's from Tipp.

Tipp and Clare have a hurling rivalry, although I haven't heard anyone go on about it in a while.

Advertisement