Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

My take on Saturday

It's only the league. Our two best years under Jim came when we were playing in Division Two. Derry were the best team in Division One last year right up to the Final.
    Derry were absolutely pish. Didn't help that they were missing the Slaughtneil contingent. We weren't missing too many.
    It was great to see the likes of Christy and Neil have big games. The hunger of our older players is key to a successful season.
    Paddy showed what he is capable of - I think he actually does better when he has less time to think or just goes for posts.
    It wasn't a great night for Ciaran McGinley and Hugh McFadden - I dunno was it the yellow cards or poor play in general that got them hooked.
    Has Marty O'Reilly improved that much or was he just having a good night against a poor team?
    Papa is still showing worrying signs of committing the sort of brain fart at kick outs that contributed to our All Ireland defeat.
    Derry were in on goal more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Would agree with that RSF.
    Other pluses from Saturday for me would be the showing from McElhinney when introduced and the fact such a strong team lined out. The attitude and application of the more senior players cannot but be a terrific example to the younger lads in the panel.
    Only negatives for me would be fact McGinley and McFadden didn't really perform. As you say tho RSF, it's only the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Not that one

I think Mc Brearty is probably hitting the peak for Sigerson football, when most County footballers are just growing developing into the season again.
    Jim Mc Guinness as a player, had several seasons where he seemed the best player in the county in February, so hopefully Mc Brearty can continue and develop this form when other players get a few months under their belt.
    Good display overall, with the goal a great example of the running game which is so good to watch once it is played at pace.
    Good to see the fitness levels so high, and no grat signs of sitting back and protecting a two/three point lead in the last few minutes either.

Well, there may be something in that, but Paddy won't be playing any more Sigerson this year after today's results.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Back to the grind against ye. Hopefully I get the bragging rights against my Letterkenny bord. Also have a bloody Antrim lad coming with me for his first Trip to match in Croker. I should be getting PEACE IV funds for this.

Anyway, as my "other" team I was buoyed by the result last week and the reports from it. Looking forward to a good one overall like the AISF last year.

• Advertisement

If Dublin go with the team that they selected last weekend (starting 15 and subs), then I will disappointed if we don't win - with Cluxton, Connolly, O'Sullivan, MDMA, Brogan and Flynn missing (and others) vs only Neil McGee for Donegal there can be no excuses!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    If Dublin go with the team that they selected last weekend (starting 15 and subs), then I will disappointed if we don't win - with Cluxton, Connolly, O'Sullivan, MDMA, Brogan and Flynn missing (and others) vs only Neil McGee for Donegal there can be no excuses!

Echo this. Said the same to the 'ould fella having read the dublin team.

We should win really. Be a big lift of we can. Or have we used up our wins over dublin quota following the August annihilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

Would expect nothing less than a donegal win, Jim Gavin has no intention of winning games but testing the grounds for the young players. that young team held it's own against cork for most of the game then he made further subs. They won't be out for revenge either as it's just a test game for them.

Dublin actually 4/9 to win. Our record against them in the League is pretty desperate. And I suppose after losing the first game, they need a home win. But, there's just too much talent missing. If Donegal are with it at all, we should manage it.

Team named

1 Durcan
    2 Doherty
    3 E McGee
    4 McGrath
    5 McGlynn
    6 Lacey
    7 Mark McHugh
    8 Gallagher
    9 Toye
    10 Ryan McHugh
    11 MacNiallais
    12 O'Reilly
    13 McBrearty
    14 Murphy
    15 Hugh McFadden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

overshoot wrote: »
    charlie also seems to have magiced up an extra 3 AI semis to sugar coat his reign.
    I dont think 1 AI semi appearance, 0 leinster titles was particularly successful, wouldnt say a failure either. it was a solid return with a solid team that just lacked a few all star level players to push further. I never remember them beating any team that were realistic AI contenders

in saying that, i wouldnt even wish that success on Armagh!

The qoute you are refering to is from Nib, not me, but from the header qoute source I can see why you would think it was from me.
    Other than that, nothing in your post I would disagree with.

Team named

1 Durcan
    2 Doherty
    3 E McGee
    4 McGrath
    5 McGlynn
    6 Lacey
    7 Mark McHugh
    8 Gallagher
    9 Toye
    10 Ryan McHugh
    11 MacNiallais
    12 O'Reilly
    13 McBrearty
    14 Murphy
    15 Hugh McFadden

Good team.

Funny that I always seem to treat playing our best team in the league with some suspicion.

What's his ploy, early points on the board and stay up wrapped up early? Heaven forbid he wants to win the thing!

I'd be worried about Karl, Big Neil and Christy for the summer if they continue to feature regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Good team.

Funny that I always seem to treat playing our best team in the league with some suspicion.

What's his ploy, early points on the board and stay up wrapped up early? Heaven forbid he wants to win the thing!

I'd be worried about Karl, Big Neil and Christy for the summer if they continue to feature regularly.

In the same boat, slightly worried about a good league. Although it's probably important for rory to start off well.

I guess there's no harm in the guys playing now if they're not carrying any injuries and then ramp up the training 6/8 weeks before the championship. Last year I thought we played our best league football in the first few games and slowly got worse in March and April.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Safe travels to all making the journey in the morning.
    Hopefully, we can cement our way into being an indestructible obstacle in the psyche of the capital's showmen by building on last year's duel.
    Bainigí sult as an chluiche.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Would expect nothing less than a donegal win, Jim Gavin has no intention of winning games but testing the grounds for the young players. that young team held it's own against cork for most of the game then he made further subs. They won't be out for revenge either as it's just a test game for them.

100% correct - Gavin has zero interest in winning the league - it's a testing ground for young players - the 4 late subs cost him the game here in Cork last week.

Having said all that - Dublin will still give a solid performance so Donegal will need to be at their best.

Dublin unchanged from cork.

We have to win tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Difference between last August and this weekend is the word "Hunger" and the roles are def reversed this time and I for that reason, see an easy Dub win...hope I am proved wrong but doubt it..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What's the matter wit Neil McGee?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭doc_17

Still getting fit after a foot injury meant he didn't train for a few months

*sigh*

Urgh. A horrible result. Amazing what Duin achieve when their half backs don't go wanderly wagon. :D

Hope this doesn't have an adverse affect on us mentally. Lads looked gutted coming off.

Though Deegan was poor but not an excuse.

• Advertisement

Well that was disappointing. Ref not an excuse. Dublin will take a lot from this win. I don't know what we can take from defeat. It's only the league etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭overshoot

ref was equally diabolical
    some positives, mcbrearty again looked good, increased willingness to deliver the quick kick pass in parts....
    dublin pulling more men back on a consistent basis, not that we will ever hear word of that
    some woeful shooting, decision making and passing at times. Big Neil had a few iffy moments, still have a feeling McNiallais may be needed in midfield this year.

given the team, disappointing result, but it is the league... we shipped a much bigger defeat in 2012, just double checked the score, 9pts in it, felt like more at the time!
    Much is made of having squad depth, Dublin have that in spades and we are trying to bring a few much needed bodies through, but sometimes there is no replacement for familiarity and knowing what the man next to you is going to do in a competitive environment.

Its the league and never much point in reading too far into it, to be honest im still trying to work out what McGuinness was trying during kickouts against Meath last year... or at least if there was sense to it! Look fitter than in 2013 at least

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭superbluedub

Safe travels to all making the journey in the morning.
    Hopefully, we can cement our way into being an indestructible obstacle in the psyche of the capital's showmen by building on last year's duel.
    Bainigí sult as an chluiche.

hope you enjoyed the game.

Two things really bothered me in the last two games:
    • Paul Durcan's short kick outs. We should have been punished by Derry, Dublin took advantage of his latest miscue. Boyle wasn't much better - he made a poor decision to kick short to Hugh McFadden in the first half when he was isolated and he ended up being turned over. Then, he was blown up for a short kick out and he may well have been blown up for another. We need to sort this out. Papa's problem is more serious, but the strategy also needs to be refined.
    • Mark McHugh giving out to Hugh McFadden against Derry and then having a go at Michael Boyle last night. This needs to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Especially given the terrible miscue McHugh himself had when he went for a stylish outside of the boot when a boring straight ahead shot was called for.

Jaysus lads are you all in Dubai aswell!?

No, what news have you?

Meanwhile, no rest for the wicked I see

http://donegalnews.com/2015/02/donegal-defeat-fermanagh-in-challenge-game/

No, what news have you?

Meanwhile, no rest for the wicked I see

http://donegalnews.com/2015/02/donegal-defeat-fermanagh-in-challenge-game/

Nothing bar the above although, was there a challenge against Derry last night? :confused:

Also, CJ Molloy's inclusion in there is laughable.

Anthony Thompson back in the squad for the Cork game according to Highland.

Good to see.

Eoin McHugh the only absentee now (assuming Leo is not coming back).

• Advertisement

Team named

1 Durcan
    2 Mc Grath
    3 E McGee
    4 Doherty
    5 McGlynn
    6 Lacey
    7 Mark McHugh
    8 Gallagher
    9 Toye