Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

2 bad teams playing shite football for most of the afternoon in Newry. The noise of that fcking plane with the banner oiverhead didn't help the mood. Or parking in the Greenbank Estate - awful idea)

I was worried enough beforehand, but with Jason McGee's early goal, you felt a bit better. By half time however, it was clear enough we were there for the taking.

Yes, we are missing a few players. But that's still a very poor result.

None of the subs (aside from Gallen, who we kmow about) made any impact. Disappointing.

Not our fault, but the fact that we will play in the Sam Maguire while Down, who beat us in a Championshp match, will play in the Tailteann is a bit of a joke. (I don't see them beating Armagh).

Martin McHugh (who probably has his own agenda) moaning afterwards about the money being spent - stayed overnight in Roscommon (awful performance), stayed overnight in Newry (awful) and an expensive training camp at Carton House. Do other countries losing Champioship matches to Division 3 teams get treated as well?

Hard to see what the next 3 games will bring. At least one hammering on the cards I'd say.

Post edited by Redsoxfan on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭doc_17

Which GDM? The man in the post, or the man covering for the man in the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Nix7979

The one who has been on sabbatical since September. Looks like the sabbatical ia being extended to head Stateside for the summer. Not a good look given everything going on with the academy of late. You would think there would be a desire there to help resolve the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

Very poor yesterday and yet we had a chance to draw level with 2 kickable frees before down tacked on the late scores. Can't see them troubling Armagh.

Plenty young/inexperienced lads out but there was just a general lack of intent/intensity that the players have to own up to. All so static, I clocked one somewhat ambling run towards the end, would have been a great option the way down left it open but the player wasn't actually looking for the ball and the man with it not looking at him. Lot of individuals out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

There appears to be a real apathy and lethargy in the camp currently and there can be little doubt that the mess behind the scenes is contributing to this. This year is a write off. What really needs to happen is that the mess at county board gets resolved ASAP, the academy gets up and running again and a proper process is put in place to recruit a new management team for next season. It's amazing how quickly everything went to pieces here.

Tonight's result in the U20s puts our preformance against Derry in a worse light.

And, good and all as the Minor win was on Sunday, I forgot that this is now group based so a long way to go - next 2 games will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Have our minors played Derry minors already this year? What kind of team do they have?

Beat them in the league I think?

I'd expect Derry to me much better come Championship.

It's round robin so less at stake.

Donegal minors hammered in Ballybofey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Who is GDM?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

surly looking at how poor down were today its time for a severe overhaul in the county board , get the ex players back on board fast and get rid of the outside interference

we had the same problem for years with davey fitzgearlds father at the helm of clare gaa , we lost a munster minor hurling championship game 3 years ago by 40 (forty) points , the same team was beaten by just 2 points a few weeks ago at u20 level

there was another occasion where an under 17 football team had to ring around for a bus to bring them to thurles 3 hours before a game because mr fitzgearld forgot to order one

as soon as you rid these people from the board ye will make progress again but it happens all over the place , we haven't looked back since ourselves

Worrying times ahead for football in Donegal. The lack of planning and development is so obvious now. Hoping for another golden generation to come along in the next twenty years that might win something. Schools football needs serious development.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Nix7979

He is on a sabbaical at the moment and is planning to extend it by coaching a club in New York for the summer. Not sure how that links to his remit in this county?

Academy team hammered by our neighbours.

I thought Lacey was to be asked back weeks ago?

I thought the CB put it as "we hope he reconsiders" but I don't recall seeing anything that would suggest a change in approach that side.

Youd like to hope cooney is able to be honest in whatever the report says...and that it does branch well beyond the academy. It just seems things wrong everywhere right now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Horrific story. I hope the sporting organisation deal with it appropriately.

Why? Because his ex-wife makes a mere allegation against him? Since when have allegations been sufficient to condemn a man in law? (Answer: in the secretive family courts, quite frequently actually - a position greatly helped by there being zero punishment on any woman who makes false allegations against a man.)

Could somebody - even a woman - be lying? Could bitterness, malignancy, sympathy-seeking/playing the victim card, and attempting to get an lámh in uachtar in impending court proceedings regarding child custody and control of the family home be factors here?

An allegation which "Prosecutors decided there was “insufficient evidence to provide a reasonable prospect of conviction”, the North’s Public Prosecution Service (PPS) said." (https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2023/05/11/domestic-abuse-allegations-against-derry-manager-rory-gallagher-were-investigated-by-psni/)

"I believe her"? Aw, bless the innocence.

PS: Perhaps you could investigate who has custody of the children as an indicator of another reality behind her allegations? (https://www.sportsnewsireland.com/gaa/rory-gallagher-responds-to-allegations-of-domestic-abuse-made-by-estranged-wife)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

This is being discussed at length in another thread so can you take it up over there please.

Tbh for the sake of having some basic facts here with the above (not me but someone in the line of work)

She's (herself admitted) alcoholic, so kids are "at risk" with her and removed. It's allegations against him, so cannot be considered in custody... And no relevance beyond being used as deflection from the matter at hand tbh.

Police do not send files to the PPS without some level of evidence. Given the cost of going to court, a high probably of conviction is required in all cases. This is difficult in domestic abuse cases as it's generally he/she said. They do however let cases sit and build evidence, so not necessarily 'dealt with'. If more witnesses come forward... People will give up on helping someone who keeps going back.

Amazingly he hasn't denied it!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭agfasfos

I see Aidan O'Rourke will not be doing any media briefings prior to the Down match. The secrecy continues .

They might want to keep the result a secret too.

Yeah, I don't know why he wouldn't.

If Down was low key this game is even more under the radar.

Win and we don't know what awaits us in a preliminary quarter final.

Lose, and we will have 2 more losses to come. Then this awful season will finally be over.

Not the most inspiring team named.

There is something seriously wrong in the camp when we have two hamstring detachments this season. It is a rare and career threatening injury.

Was a few interesting quotes here from kavanagh in terms of the appointment process. The tail end probably won't do him much favours with the CB but seems quite straight talking

https://www.donegallive.ie/news/gaa/1174012/to-say-rory-kavanagh-had-got-the-job-is-a-bit-disingenuous.html

I reckon he saw the John Joe potential.

As for the team named, we are where we are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day!

Advertisement