Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help get 6 pack.

Options
  • 30-09-2013 10:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26

Hey
    I need help. I'm 17 going 18 in. 6th year.
    I have a horrible belly and want to get tone and fit. In about 5'9 and weigh roughly 12/13 st not sure.

Any way I need advice on what I can do I don't live near a gym.
    My diet is ok

Breakfast
    Bowel of cereal
    Coco pops/sherdies (Aldi brand)/ fruit n fibre with whole milk

On weekend only once
    Egg and 2 vege sausage butty

LUNCH
    Sand which
    With lettuce butter cus cus tomato cheese.
    Egg mayo sometimes
    3 pieces of fruit
    Crisps/chocolate
    Sometimes both

Wedge roll once a month

Dinner
    Chipper/Chinese every Friday
    Normal vege most other days with a vegetarian pie sometimes have pizza on Saturday.

Snacks
    About 4L coke a week

Excercises
    Walk dog 30minutes 4 times a week
    Taekwondo 2 hours a week starting back October

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Longgreentrain

Here is a pic of my gut.
    Disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 15 One Life

My diet is ok

Your diet is absolutely nowhere near okay.

One Life wrote: »
    Your diet is absolutely nowhere near okay.

Is it really that bad what can I cut out and add in as alternatives no meat

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hey
    I need help. I'm 17 going 18 in. 6th year.
    I have a horrible belly and want to get tone and fit. In about 5'9 and weigh roughly 12/13 st not sure.

My diet is ok

Breakfast
    Bowel of cereal
    Coco pops/sherdies (Aldi brand)/ fruit n fibre with whole milk

On weekend only once
    Egg and 2 vege sausage butty

LUNCH
    Sand which
    With lettuce butter cus cus tomato cheese.
    Egg mayo sometimes
    3 pieces of fruit
    Crisps/chocolate
    Sometimes both

Wedge roll once a month

Dinner
    Chipper/Chinese every Friday
    Normal vege most other days with a vegetarian pie sometimes have pizza on Saturday.

Snacks
    About 4L coke a week

Excercises

I've spotted your problem: "My diet is ok". It isn't. Coco pops, wedge butties, egg mayo, sausage and egg sambos, crisps, chocolate, cola...they all need to be dropped out of your average intake if you want to see results.

I've spotted your problem: "My diet is ok". It isn't. Coco pops, wedge butties, egg mayo, sausage and egg sambos, crisps, chocolate, cola...they all need to be dropped out of your average intake if you want to see results.

Do I have to cut out coke completely, is diet come or coke zero ok or is there a nice alternative drink

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Do I have to cut out coke completely, is diet come or coke zero ok or is there a nice alternative drink

Drink water.

beertons wrote: »
    Drink water.

I like water and drink about 500ml a day I'll increase it and cut out coke.
    I want to be able to eat s**t at Christmas so I'm stopping all this now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

That diet is not good at all... say goodbye to your coke, crisps and bars at lunchtime.. if you're honest with yourself are you having a few biscuits or something similar when you get home from school too?. You might not wana go cold turkey straight away so the takeout is up to you but you should gt rid of that too. I would have that or the fry, not both. And for breakfast have eggs or porridge instead of coco pops? Or that high8 museli is actually pretty nice, comes in a white bag with blue and red design.

and you don't need a gym, start jogging or get a bike. You can do body weight exercises like push ups anywhere

They're better. I don't like it so i don't know what you'd consider a nice alternative. But you either want results or you want to eat what you are and see no results. Sacrifices will have to be made.

roseybear wrote: »
    That diet is not good at all... say goodbye to your coke, crisps and bars at lunchtime.. if you're honest with yourself are you having a few biscuits or something similar when you get home from school too?. You might not wana go cold turkey straight away so the takeout is up to you but you should gt rid of that too. I would have that or the fry, not both. And for breakfast have eggs or porridge instead of coco pops? Or that high8 museli is actually pretty nice, comes in a white bag with blue and red design.

Would sherdies it Weetbix be ok ?
    I'm a vegetarian so can't go cold turkey

I cut out biscuits after school a year ago. Used to have 3 with tea every day sometimes twice hardly ear biscuits now maybe once a month I might have 1/2

• Advertisement

Is the sandwich ok at lunch ?

I'd also suggest you go onto myfitnesspal and record everything you eat. And do it honestly. You'll see how many calories are in what you eat in an average day/week and you'll see how much of a difference you could make with better choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭BittaTrig

Is it really that bad what can I cut out and add in as alternatives no meat

Best way to get fit is to swim mate. Going to the gym means you have to work on separate parts of the body at any one time. When you swim you work on nearly every part of the body.. Just don't give an F what other people think about you man!!!!

BittaTrig wrote: »
    Best way to get fit is to swim mate. Going to the gym means you have to work on separate parts of the body at any one time. When you swim you work on nearly every part of the body.. Just don't give an F what other people think about you man!!!!
    Easy to say I'm sick of having fat thanks for your advice everyone, I thought my diet was decent and when people pointed out how bad it was I realised cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

Would sherdies it Weetbix be ok ?

I cut out biscuits after school a year ago. Used to have 3 with tea every day sometimes twice hardly ear biscuits now maybe once a month I might have 1/2

They're okay but not great. And brown bread sandwhiches for lunch if your still having sambos. Cut back the butter.

Will take 4 weeks to notice a diff so don't be getting frustrated and fall back in to old habits. If you cut out all fizzy drinks, the crisps the bars the take out and the pizza, and I mean really cut it out, not having a sly nibble here and there you should see some difference. When ur out walking the dog try run for 1min say every 5mins and try go a bit longer every time until u can run the whole 30mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭BittaTrig

Easy to say I'm sick of having fat thanks for your advice everyone, I thought my diet was decent and when people pointed out how bad it was I realised cheers.

Other Great exercises are sit ups, press ups, pull ups and dips( Hands on two surfaces and you dip down and back up) !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

You'll be surprised how quickly you'll build up distance with a light jog and also by how good you'll feel after a fiew weeks and can see results but be careful not to overdo things as many novices do and push too hard which can lead to injury and whilst you are recovering its easy to slip into bad habits, as you are a vegetarian you may be lacking in protein in you're diet ( do you eat fish?) so try to get lots of fibre because it will keep you fuller for longer and cut out fizzy drinks completely.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    You'll be surprised how quickly you'll build up distance with a light jog and also by how good you'll feel after a fiew weeks and can see results but be careful not to overdo things as many novices do and push too hard which can lead to injury and whilst you are recovering its easy to slip into bad habits, as you are a vegetarian you may be lacking in protein in you're diet ( do you eat fish?) so try to get lots of fibre because it will keep you fuller for longer and cut out fizzy drinks completely.

What is good for fibre ?
    Bread pasta ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Your diet sounds average for an Irish17 year old. Suffice to say you do not want the body of an average 17 year old.
    You have a long slog ahead of you to get that diet in order. But do it. It's worth it.

First, don't bother doing anything with your diet, focus on reading - lots - you have to educate yourself on nutrition.
    Understanding why certain foods are bad for you will help you with diet adherence in future.
    Then learn how to cook. Books are piss cheap. Read them. You need to be independent from your families meals if they are not sufficient to your needs.

Start off adding good stuff first. Vegetables, nuts and good sources of protein. If meat is out - is fish out too? Dairy ok?
    As you learn good nutrition you can start reducing the crap out and replacing with better options.

Also, ignore any and all supplement adverts in mags and/or products promising six packs.
    Good physiques are earned and they take serious commitment.
    Enjoy it.

Zamboni wrote: »
    Your diet sounds average for an Irish17 year old. Suffice to say you do not want the body of an average 17 year old.
    You have a long slog ahead of you to get that diet in order. But do it. It's worth it.

First, don't bother doing anything with your diet, focus on reading - lots - you have to educate yourself on nutrition.
    Understanding why certain foods are bad for you will help you with diet adherence in future.
    Then learn how to cook. Books are piss cheap. Read them. You need to be independent from your families meals if they are not sufficient to your needs.

Start off adding good stuff first. Vegetables, nuts and good sources of protein. If meat is out - is fish out too? Dairy ok?
    As you learn good nutrition you can start reducing the crap out and replacing with better options.

Also, ignore any and all supplement adverts in mags and/or products promising six packs.
    Good physiques are earned and they take serious commitment.
    Enjoy it.

I don't take supplements. Yea no fish either I can cook its just my parents cook. I don't know what nuts are ok.
    Dry roasted/salted or other ones ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I don't know what nuts are ok.
    Dry roasted/salted or other ones ?
    Tbh there is little point in you picking up snippets of info from here. It won't be productive. You need to understand the wider picture rather than just swapping coke for diet coke or salted nuts for unsalted.
    You need to read. Go learn about calories and macronutrients and wonderful things like vitamins and minerals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

What is good for fibre ?
    Bread pasta ?

Oat meal. It's also very filling.

Are you able to join a nearby gym? Many tend to offer some free support in the form of written plans by trained instructors, with whom you can explain in detail what your goals might be - be they six pack abs, or just a little weight loss; they can pretty much cater to most goals.

I may be speaking for myself here, but I believe that the Gyms are generally quite encouraging environments for those just starting out, with most people there willing to offer some sage advice when you need it. If you're able to successfully build it into your routine, you'll soon find that working out becomes less of a chore and more of a compulsion!

But remember, weight loss is almost always down to diet. Nail that, then think about the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Try the couch to 5k (c25k) plan for exercise. If you just take it step by step its doable and will give you a boost as well. But it really is all about what you put (more importantly dont put) in your mouth. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Vegetarianism doesn't make sense for growing teenagers imo. For people who can cook and are in control of their own budget it's manageable, but for young people living off a family shop 'no meat' = 'loads of extra bread, carbs and junk' to fill in the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

Being veggie is no excuse.
    You're eating lots of heavily proccessed food and being honest someone who eats 2 take aways a week, with a fry at the weekend, chocolate everyday and 4 litres of coke a week isn't going to have the healthiest body.

I think you should either find out the calories in what you eat now and aim to cut them back to 2000. Don't forget to weigh everything to get an accurate idea.

Or try eat food in as natural a state as you can: fruit, veg, dairy, eggs, lentils, nuts etc.

Everyone has the odd naughty meal but the vast majority should be healthy.
    Something like:
    breakfast: scrambled eggs, spinach/potato/any veg omelette, porrige, homemade muesli

Lunch: soup with wholegrain bread/oat cakes or salad (egg/feta/cheese/nuts/pasta)

Dinner:
    Lentil stew
    Omelette
    Quorn, veg and potatoes
    Stir fry

If you want some easy recipies I'll post a few later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Zamboni wrote: »
    Tbh there is little point in you picking up snippets of info from here. It won't be productive. You need to understand the wider picture rather than just swapping coke for diet coke or salted nuts for unsalted.
    You need to read. Go learn about calories and macronutrients and wonderful things like vitamins and minerals.

This is the best advice you're going to get.
    Get researching nutrition and make lifestyle changes that will help you have a long healthy life.......

aka get all dem gainzzz and be swole bro YOLO # hashtag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

beertons wrote: »
    Drink water.
    A nice alternative - come on dude you're 17 yrs old not 12.

The fundamental problem is that your nutrition intake is possibly no worse than every other kid your age but you are not active enough to burn it off. Yes your diet could do with adjustments so take some small steps and then do some press ups, squats, chin ups, lunges, light walk/jogging most days of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Where do you live?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Orlaw3136

NB disclaimer of any expertise at all but just noticing that the OP is involved in an organised sport, which is a great starting point, and could use this as a point of access for structured training programme and help with the diet. Might be easier than trying to educate themselves from the massive array of sources out there regarding diet. At his age I would try and use this to best advantage.
    Excercises

There must surely be a trainer/coach in your TKD set up who's in good physical shape (if not...you need a new coach !).

I would suggest you approach them and tell them you want to make these changes in your life, tell them what you're eating, ask them to help you with your diet and maybe email you/write down what they eat.

Ask them also to give you a training programme that you can do outside of TKD training for your overall fitness.

You're a 17 year old bloke - I think if you knock out the coke, other sweet treats, chinese/takeaways and replace with healthy alternatives (water, fruit, good clean food), together with a greater level of exercise, you'll get results. But if you don't get that diet sorted, you're stabbing yourself in the back before you start.

Good luck - stick with your decision - you could be a new man quicker than you know it if you really commit to the diet. It's hard but it gets easier, and it's worth it.

Advertisement