Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurler of the year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Shane O Donnell would be getting the womens votes anyway. They were all drooling over him with he was giving his interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Think Pat Donnellan will be close to getting it. Even though he wouldn't be my choice. Thought Bugler was poor enough yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Cilldara11 wrote: »
    Surprised Pat Horgan hasn't got a mention. He was consistently good (ignoring red card against Limerick).
    Looking at Clare, can't see past Bugler or Kelly. Podge Collins having a quieter game yesterday, I think would swing it for Kelly if it were to come down to a debate between the two of them.

In contention but not our best forward over the two games.Got five from play,but harnedy got one four from play ,two games,our most effective forward in that he was involved in 40 per cent of our scores in the drawn game,and again yest had 15 plays ,our most effective forward yesterday.

Harnedy would have have been not seen as a contender,i cnt c why horgan who was not our best guy in two games would get it.

Nash would deserve it,but it has got to be a clare man.

Kelly,as when the need was greatest got six points in the two games,and three of one of the best man markers the game has ever produced in murphy the last day.

Up to friday nash and horgan were the favourites but that changed id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mergal

Tony Kelly 1/10 on Paddy power

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

yomtea98 wrote: »
    Nash couldn't have done anything for 4 of the goals

yeah and his goal was an absolute cracker aswel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Shane O Donnell would be getting the womens votes anyway. They were all drooling over him with he was giving his interview.

Fame is gas isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Donnellan and Bugler In particular had a great summer for Clare. But hard to see past Tony Kelly to be honest. He was everywhere in the semi, final & replay.

Mergal wrote: »
    Tony Kelly 1/10 on Paddy power

Nailed on so collins young player of the year.could not argue with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

BobSloane wrote: »
    True but Waterford players have picked it up a few times I think. Tony Browne got it in 98 and they didn't even make the AI final or win munster. Normally I'd agree with you but I think this year could be an exception. Clare haven't really had a standout player and Nash had a weirdly memorable year - scoring a lot and only conceding one goal (until yesterday obv!). Plus he's Tommy Quaids nephew which could swing a few votes his way somehow?!? Is there a market anywhere? Can't find one on PP.

No , they've had half a dozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Seamie Harnedy was probably the most consistent player all year in the championship. Played out of his skin in both finals and was worth 3-4 points in nearly every other game. Takes a special player to play so well in a team who were outplayed in the 2 final. My vote for hurler of the year especially seeing as he has come from relative obscurity.

Other than yesterday when Brian Murphy held him quiet, Podge Collins was a livewire all year in the Clare attack. Should get YHOY.

My (biased) vote:

HOY: Seamus Harnedy
    YHOY: Podge Collins

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Bugler would get my vote but Tony Kelly will win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Nailed on so collins young player of the year.could not argue with that.

How could Kelly be HOTY and not YHOTY?

He's a year younger than Collins like

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Gerry91 wrote: »
    How could Kelly be HOTY and not YHOTY?

He's a year younger than Collins like

It would be pretty rare that a player would be in contention for both I suppose, and really giving the Young hurler of the year award to the winner of the main award would be rather pointless IMO. I'd imagine the voting committee will probably be of the same view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Clare haven't really had a standout player

Not sure what Clare team you've been watching?:eek:

Maybe it's hard to pick because we have had so many?
    Kelly
    Collins
    Donnellan
    O'Donnell
    :rolleyes:

angelfire9 wrote: »

Kelly
    Collins
    Donnellan
    O'Donnell

Bugler, McInerney, 2 Ryans,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Kelly
    Collins
    Donnellan
    O'Donnell
    buck65 wrote: »
    Bugler, McInerney, 2 Ryans,

So is it the term 'standout' that ye don't quite grasp or are ye actually agreeing with Bob ;)

No just 6 or 7 standout hurlers on the Clare team. Cork have 3 or 4. Limerick the same Dublin the same.

He'll probably win it. Really think David McInertney should run him close though.
    Nash will prob win hurler of the year. Bulger Clares best hope I'd say

@thinkstoomuch It would make little sense for Kelly to win hurler of the year and podge collins to win YHOTH

It would make perfect sense.Both very close to the main award,but kelly over shadowing him in the two games,with six from play.

Collins has been so majestic in the year,u21 as well,and the magnificent point the first day must win an award.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

Both Jamesie O'Connor and Daithi Reagan on Off the Ball last night picked Bugler.

buck65 wrote: »
    No just 6 or 7 standout hurlers on the Clare team. Cork have 3 or 4. Limerick the same Dublin the same.

Well then by their very nature they are not standout - by your logic there were 19 standout players and thats before KK, Galway, Tipp, Wexford, Waterford etc are taken in to account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Shane Lowry

Shane_Lowry_Irish_sport_3.jpg?format=300w

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Shane Lowry

Shane_Lowry_Irish_sport_3.jpg?format=300w

Certainly comes from good GAA stock!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

David McInerney had a brilliant year at full back, but letting in 6 goals in 2 games means that no-one from the full back line will get it.
    Bugler and Donnellan both had brilliant years, but the Clare half back line disappeared against Cork in Limerick.
    Conor Ryan was brilliant in both finals.
    Tony Kelly was consistent all year, but I thought he disappeared a bit for chunks of the time in both finals, again, against Cork in Limerick he disappeared (although he was marked out of it).
    Podge Collins was great all year, but was marked out of the final.

For me, the most consistent Clare hurler was Colin Ryan, top scorer in the championship, almost flawless on frees and was a target man in the replay, I don't think he'll get an All Star though. If Ryan doesn't get it I'd say Kelly will get it with Podge getting Young Hurler, if Kelly doesn't get the main award he'll get the Young Hurler Award.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Tony Kelly will win this, he is 1-10 with the bookies to pick up the award. The guy is technically perfect and can score from both sides.

Hard to argue with Kelly but Bugler really had a great season as well. When Clare needed a lift the sight of him grabbing the ball in the air and driving out from defense was inspiring stuff to both the team and the fans.

Nash was a runner for this up to final but letting in 5 goals surely has done his chances in.

Warper wrote: »
    Tony Kelly will win this, he is 1-10 with the bookies to pick up the award. The guy is technically perfect and can score from both sides.

Hard to argue with Kelly but Bugler really had a great season as well. When Clare needed a lift the sight of him grabbing the ball in the air and driving out from defense was inspiring stuff to both the team and the fans.

Nash was a runner for this up to final but letting in 5 goals surely has done his chances in.

From 8 to 15 to 50 to 1 nash is.

Still sum going two all stars in hes ist two years,and hard to c anyone coming close to him next year.Maybee quaid, and Egan of tipp if he gets game time will rattle him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Egan of tipp if he gets game time will rattle him.

Who!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

From 8 to 15 to 50 to 1 nash is.

Still sum going two all stars in hes ist two years,and hard to c anyone coming close to him next year.Maybee quaid, and Egan of tipp if he gets game time will rattle him.

Translate please:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

From Cork , but that number 5 from Clare ( Butler i think ) i thought was absolutely awesome in the 2 games against Cork .

Pulling the ball out of the air while hurleys swinging left right and centre , brave lad.

For me HE was the stand-out player in the 2 games , don't know how he is over the year , but as an amateur my god what a player , put many professionals to shame !

Stargate

Edit : from Cork so have to mention Nash ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Stargate wrote: »
    From Cork , but that number 5 from Clare ( Butler i think ) i thought was absolutely awesome in the 2 games against Cork .

Pulling the ball out of the air while hurleys swinging left right and centre , brave lad.

For me HE was the stand-out player in the 2 games , don't know how he is over the year , but as an amateur my god what a player , put many professionals to shame !

Stagate

That would be bugs (Brendan Bugler) he of the accordion playing in the dressing room fame
    He's a class act alright but I still think Kelly will take the award

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

That would be bugs (Brendan Bugler) he of the accordion playing in the dressing room fame
    He's a class act alright but I still think Kelly will take the award

ah right , Brendan Bugler , sorry i got his name wrong ,Thanks for that .]

Great Great player !!

Advertisement