Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurler of the year?

Options
  • 29-09-2013 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭

So now that the Hurling championship is all wrapped up who do you think is worthy of the award lads. Im finding it very hard to call myself. Would have said Nash or Podge Collins up to yesterday but neither had a very good game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Shane O Donnell after yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Bugler or Kelly?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Collins or Kelly imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

So now that the Hurling championship is all wrapped up who do you think is worthy of the award lads. Im finding it very hard to call myself. Would have said Nash or Podge Collins up to yesterday but neither had a very good game.
    Nash couldn't have done anything for 4 of the goals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Shane o Donnell could get an all star sure they gave joe canning one a few years back for one match v cork. He got 2.10 ,screwed john mulane out of one I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Amprodude wrote: »

Pushing it a small but id say amprodude :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,538 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Tony Kelly a shoe in for Young Hurler of the year, could he pick up both awards?

yomtea98 wrote: »
    Nash couldn't have done anything for 4 of the goals

He had set a very high standard for himself in fairness, I couldnt believe what was unfolding in front of me but they were almost impossible to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Pushing it a small but id say amprodude :D

Hes got to be a late inclusion. :D 3-3 in a final. Not a bad return at all for the youngster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Conor Ryan possibly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Still think Collins will get the nod, he's really had an outstanding year and one quiet game shouldn't change that.

Shane O'Donnell is of course already a bona fida Clare lidgind :D but that what the man of the match award is there for.

Hes got to be a late inclusion. :D 3-3 in a final. Not a bad return at all for the youngster.

Tis fairytale stuff alright!! For playmaking and grabbing the game by the balls I thought Conor Mcgrath really stood out. If Cork had one it would have been easy to pick wither Nash or Harnedy but I'm finding it a tuff call to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Shane o Donnell could get an all star sure they gave joe canning one a few years back for one match v cork. He got 2.10 ,screwed john mulane out of one I think

Big difference between an all star and hurler of the year.

Kelly should get it.For hurler of the year,the word year is important to bear in mind,nt just one game but the season as a whole.

All ireland final should have bearing two.Bar the june game,kelly has been unreal.six from play in the drawn and replay,he should shade it ahead of collins.

Collins hadnt a great game but thats more the excellent murphy than a poor collins.The only man to hold him scorless all year ,and then he kept kelly quiet in june.But kelly got the better in the drawn game,but murphy still done okay,and got a point.

Cork were caught between a rock and a hard place , kelly or collins for murphy.

As both had to be marked.

Kelly was clares best forward over the two games,and with the amount of ball he hurled outside the points should get it.

Podge young hurler of the year.

Nash cant be blamed for the five goals bar one,and even at that its cause he has set hes standards so high,and makes saves others cnt dream of.

But clare won,i think hurler of the year should be a clare man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭BobSloane

KevIRL wrote: »
    Tony Kelly a shoe in for Young Hurler of the year, could he pick up both awards?

He'll probably win it. Really think David McInertney should run him close though.
    Nash will prob win hurler of the year. Bulger Clares best hope I'd say

@thinkstoomuch It would make little sense for Kelly to win hurler of the year and podge collins to win YHOTH

BobSloane wrote: »
    He'll probably win it. Really think David McInertney should run him close though.
    Nash will prob win hurler of the year. Bulger Clares best hope I'd say

@thinkstoomuch It would make little sense for Kelly to win hurler of the year and podge collins to win YHOTH

HOTY nearly always comes from the winning team so I doubt Nash will get it.

HOTY nearly always comes from the winning team so I doubt Nash will get it.

True but Waterford players have picked it up a few times I think. Tony Browne got it in 98 and they didn't even make the AI final or win munster. Normally I'd agree with you but I think this year could be an exception. Clare haven't really had a standout player and Nash had a weirdly memorable year - scoring a lot and only conceding one goal (until yesterday obv!). Plus he's Tommy Quaids nephew which could swing a few votes his way somehow?!? Is there a market anywhere? Can't find one on PP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Shane O'Donnell could definitely get an All Star

He scored two goals in the championship before yesterday by the way and started a few games

Tony Kelly would be my POTY and YPOTY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Collin Ryan for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Kelly for HOTY
    Collins for YHOTY

Can't see them going anywhere else to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

Tony Kelly or Podge Collins

• Advertisement

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Kelly for HOTY
    Collins for YHOTY

Can't see them going anywhere else to be honest

Why not Kelly for both then? How can he logically be HOTY but not YHOTH?

Savage performance from an unreal talent but i honest believe it would be ludicrous to give it to a lad based on 1 game. Bugler seemed to have a terrific year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Savage performance from an unreal talent but i honest believe it would be ludicrous to give it to a lad based on 1 game. Bugler seemed to have a terrific year.

I know you're saying POTY maybe ludicrous and it is IMO but an All Star certainly wouldnt be.

As I said he got two goals earlier in champ, one v Waterford, one v Wexford. He started both games as far as I know

5 goals in the championship, unreal return

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭randd1

Bugler for me.

Purely because he was the man who consistently kept the opposition at bay, dominated the high ball so much in games, and never mind how he was setting up so many attacks. Clare's best and most consistent players this year, I can't think of a game in which he actually played bad.

Ryan is also a good shout, but Bugler was more consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

randd1 wrote: »
    Bugler for me.

Purely because he was the man who consistently kept the opposition at bay, dominated the high ball so much in games, and never mind how he was setting up so many attacks. Clare's best and most consistent players this year, I can't think of a game in which he actually played bad.

Ryan is also a good shout, but Bugler was more consistent.

Id give it to Tony Kelly, with paudge collins unluckey not to get it.
    I'd give Bugler fist pumper of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Pa Horgan was 11/10 before the first day, don't think he did enough from play in either game to warrant it

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cilldara11

Surprised Pat Horgan hasn't got a mention. He was consistently good (ignoring red card against Limerick).
    Looking at Clare, can't see past Bugler or Kelly. Podge Collins having a quieter game yesterday, I think would swing it for Kelly if it were to come down to a debate between the two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cilldara11

dartsfan wrote: »
    Pa Horgan was 11/10 before the first day, don't think he did enough from play in either game to warrant it

I think you may be right!
    Although he got 9 points yesterday, 3 from play. A good day out for most forwards in an AIF.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

Sunday Game team of the year was a joke- Only Paudge Collins & Paul browne for Limerick got a mention---best full back in the country is Ritchie McCarthy by a country mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

BobSloane wrote: »
    True but Waterford players have picked it up a few times I think. Tony Browne got it in 98 and they didn't even make the AI final or win munster. Normally I'd agree with you but I think this year could be an exception. Clare haven't really had a standout player and Nash had a weirdly memorable year - scoring a lot and only conceding one goal (until yesterday obv!). Plus he's Tommy Quaids nephew which could swing a few votes his way somehow?!? Is there a market anywhere? Can't find one on PP.

Good point -and Dan won it in 07 despite being quiet in the semi but had a dream year before that with goals galore. So Pa Horgan/Nash and Tony Kelly/Podge from Cork and Clare. Team efforts all round and no dominant players so what about the other counties ?
    Dublin winning a historic provincial title - Keaney or Paul Ryan ? Maybe Dotsy for the resilience
    Richie McCarthy from Limerick - first Munster in nearly 20 years.
    KK/Tipp/Galway/Waterford - no POTY nomination though KK did win the league.
    Overall - I can't see a standout candidate so all of the names mentioned above wouldn't be a surprise nor would O Donnell or even bugler or Donnellan.....I think you might be right with Nash

Advertisement