Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money left in ATM machine

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Wow can't actually believe there is an offence called "Theft by finding". I sympatise with the op and in that situation would return the cash to the op.

Well if you see something and take it, knowing it's not yours and you fail to take reasonable steps to find the owner... I mean, its not like someone just plants the stuff on you and you've committed an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Well if you see something and take it, knowing it's not yours and you fail to take reasonable steps to find the owner... I mean, its not like someone just plants the stuff on you and you've committed an offence.

I would think that it is a civil matter and not a criminal matter. On the other hand I think private clamping should be criminalised. Don't want to derail the thread to much so I will end with: I hope the owner is reunited with there money. In truth most people who find money on the street would keep it.

I would think that it is a civil matter and not a criminal matter. On the other hand I think private clamping should be criminalised. Don't want to derail the thread to much so I will end with: I hope the owner is reunited with there money. In truth most people who find money on the street would keep it.

Theft is a criminal offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MissEmcee

trellheim wrote: »
    As far as I can tell you don't have rights to the CCTV footage, you could be anybody on a blurry screen. Data Protection would take a dim view. Chalk this one down to experience OP if the cops don't want to get involved.

You are absolutely correct. It is illegal under the Data Protection Act to supply CCTV footage of other persons other than yourself. The shop are only permitted if the so wish to supply you of stills (or video) of yourself only and no body else. If they supply you anything other than yourself they may be getting themselves in a spot of bother and could be before the courts. CCTV images are "personal data" and it is defined in the DPA of 1988 and 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Sundew wrote: »
    No I think you and people like you who don't make efforts to do the right thing are full of crap!!!!! You don't know the story behind the person who lost the money. It's very easy to take, take, take and put the responsibility onto the person who looses the item!

Actually, I would and have made efforts to return lost property. I'm giving out about yours and the other posters here apparent pessimistic view on everyone. The lady who found the money could have been busy all weekend, a Monday is the best time to check the Garda Station, but people are stuck on the assumption that she stole it. From a lack of being able to see the inherent goodness of people.

The story behind the person who lost the money is, they walked away from an ATM without the money. The story behind the person who found it, is completely unknown. Not turning it into the shop isn't an indication of anything but not trusting the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

furiousox wrote: »
    Was she in a car?
    If you can get her car reg from the cctv, the guards will locate her easily.

Similar story with a previous employer:
    • Cash box with bank card and the PIN conveniently stuck on with postit so the receptionist wouldn't forget was lifted from the office.
    • Theft not noticed for two days.
    • In which time the perp had used the card three times, €100, €500 & €500
    • Rang bank who were a client of the office and manager a personal friend of my boss.
    • Bank reviewed CCTV and dude could be clearly seen in all three transactions.
    • Bank manager recognised perp.
    • Car license could be seen on CCTV in the last transaction at 3am.
    • Bank manager put all evidence on a DVD but would / could not give my boss any of the footage (only guards)
    • After four days of ringing guards they eventually arrived in the office
    • Plain clothed detective physically pushed me out of the way when I opened the door and asked who he was here to see (Multi use office building with one main entrance)
    • Detective was abrubt / disinterested with my boss who passed along the details (but held back on his own detective discussions with his bank manager friend so as not to be seen to be doing the cops job)
    • After no word back for three weeks my boss began ringing guards station to find out what was what?
    • Eventually after a dozen or so calls over weeks the detective rang back and notified my boss that they 'investigated' fully and that no CCTV footage of the perp existed and the trail was cold.
    • Boss rang bank manager buddy..... no one had even called in to get footage let alone investigated same :rolleyes:
    So not as open and shut as I would have first thought.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Theft is a criminal offence.
    In numerous jurisdictions it is considered a civil matter. There is more than one interpretation in such matter.

In numerous jurisdictions it is considered a civil matter. There is more than one interpretation in such matter.

It's not about interpretation.

Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act, 2001 (section 4 to be precise)

For the purposes of discussing something that happened in Ireland, I would assume we are talking about the Irish legal system unless otherwise specified?

Interpretation indicates a individuals understanding of the situation, whether they are right our wrong. You can list Criminal Acts all you want, but they fail to demonsrtate anything, without demonstrating where a precedent has been set in the matter. Failure to make a reasonable attempt to reunite the property with the owner. What exactly is a reasonable attempt to achieve this. We don't know the mental state of the woman in this case. For all we know she could be a paranoid schizophrenic or have asperger's syndrome. We don't know yet if the women can be held legal responsible for her action. The offence may only be recognised where there is an except level of reasonable responsible. The case could easily get tied up in semantic. Even if a conviction is made I feel at worse the alleged offender would possibly be obliged to do community service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Totally irrelevant here. It is not a civil matter. It is a criminal offence. No matter how often you say it this will not change!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dinjo99

This thread reminds me about an incident that happened to me at an ATM around 1990. It was at Doyles Corner in Phibsboro, BoI I think.

I inserted my card and requested £20. (euro was still years away)
    The ATM made a grinding noise, it was obvious that there was a problem with the rollers. Out came five fivers -£25. I checked the advice slip and it said I had withdrawn £20. I was up a fiver! Happy days, this was at a time when £5 was worth something. I decided to try again..easy money. I checked my balance. Enough to go again. Card in. I requested another £20. More grinding rollers. Out pops the fivers. This time there were only 3!!!

Should have quit when I was ahead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dinjo99

No. Ended up quits.

But I had been winning.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

If the police refuse to investigate a crime, demand their details (shoulder no., etc) and call the ombudsman for a complaint form.
    In my experience (and this is, of course, purely coincidental) everytime I've had to do this, the gardai have arrived back to me seeking to investigate before the form arrived in the post for some strange reason.

Edit: I should add - insist that your complaint is detailed in their incidents book at the station, and insist that the incident log is updated each time you attend to ask what is being done to note that you are still a crime victim and the issue has not been resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭freesia1

[.

I inserted my card and requested £20. (euro was still years away)
    The ATM made a grinding noise, it was obvious that there was a problem with the rollers. Out came five fivers -£25. I checked the advice slip and it said I had withdrawn £20. I was up a fiver! Happy days, this was at a time when £5 was worth something. I decided to try again..easy money. I checked my balance. Enough to go again. Card in. I requested another £20. More grinding rollers. Out pops the fivers. This time there were only 3!!!

Should have quit when I was ahead![/QUOTE]

very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

The girl went looking for you and couldnt find you what the hell do you think your entitled to, people to go out of there way running after you.
    you want the person to have a criminal record just because of your stupidity.
    I hope you get done for wasting garda time and end up paying for all court costs. why do people think there needs to be a law to protect them from all kinds of stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,Ask the garage what company service these atms and try contacting them and explain your story.Then the next time they are topping up cash and renewing receipt roll they might be able to get the womans details.

Its worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

can't believe people are actually saying the woman didn't commit a crime.... what if you were in a shop and the shopkeeper walked away leaving the cash register open? would it be ok for someone to help themselves to that?

The girl went looking for you and couldnt find you what the hell do you think your entitled to, people to go out of there way running after you.
    you want the person to have a criminal record just because of your stupidity.
    I hope you get done for wasting garda time and end up paying for all court costs. why do people think there needs to be a law to protect them from all kinds of stupidity

I wouldn't be saying the OP is stupid.If you have a lot of things on your mind it does happen and has happened to a lot of people(see here)

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2010/0720/133565-boi/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

I wouldn't be saying the OP is stupid.If you have a lot of things on your mind it does happen and has happened to a lot of people(see here)

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2010/0720/133565-boi/

ok point taken the op was distracted/ in a rush but even so do you think the girl is a criminal. if it was me id just write it off as having a bad day and not go chasing it

can't believe people are actually saying the woman didn't commit a crime.... what if you were in a shop and the shopkeeper walked away leaving the cash register open? would it be ok for someone to help themselves to that?

Well its a kind of unique case in that she took the money and went looking to see was he still there.For all we know she gave it to the lad at the till and he had a great night on Saturday night and is now saying "Money,what money".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OK - this was never a Consumer Issue to start, but it was interesting. At this stage, it's gone on for too long, without updates.

Thread closed for now. OP can contact me to request it to reopened for an update if they so wish.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement