Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argentina v. Nueva Zelanda, match preview & thread, Sat 28 Sep, 2340 Irish time

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The boys look more than a little rattled tonight and some very loose passes being thrown but they'll come good in the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Just has me thinking of what we'll need to do in the AIs to have even a slight chance, and the answer is clearly i) a massive performance from the pack and ii) mistakes kept to an absolute minimum. Easier said that done obviously!

I'm like a broken record saying this, but that NZ try came from loose play by the Argies. Speculative kick, chase wasn't effective, and a few seconds later you're 5 points down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

danthefan wrote: »
    Just has me thinking of what we'll need to do in the AIs to have even a slight chance, and the answer is clearly i) a massive performance from the pack and ii) mistakes kept to an absolute minimum. Easier said that done obviously!

Yip France 2007 is really the template IMO. You have to rattle NZ with pressure into errors. And take any and all points offered.

Oh, and don't kick restarts out on the full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Basically don't make a single mistake while also being awesome.

• Advertisement

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Yip France 2007 is really the template IMO. You have to rattle NZ with pressure into errors. And take any and all points offered.

That's the other thing. If we, for example, missed three penalties in the first 20 then the game is basically over.

Have you seen the NZ scrum tonight? I think that's actually a valid tactic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Great half-way penalty!

Arg 12 - 11 NZ [44']

danthefan wrote: »
    That's the other thing. If we, for example, missed three penalties in the first 20 then the game is basically over.

Have you seen the NZ scrum tonight? I think that's actually a valid tactic here.

That Argentinian scrum is awesome. I don't think Ireland's front 5 is quite as strong. But the Irish lineout should be better. Great kick from Bosch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Unless you've got a dominant scrum ;)

I wish Hansen would select Ben Afeaki. I don't rate Faumauina.

• Advertisement

Why does Hernandez do that ****? No need for a fancy banana kick there, just hammer it back downfield.

Bah. Good try.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Good work there.

Daft crossing penalty you say?

BAM, try.

Do not make silly mistakes.

No surprise to see Ben Smith score, very good finish as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

That pass from Nonu

That is nice! Nonu & Smith. Ben Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Maybe the key to beating New Zealand is to only play 25 minute halves?

It's really the inability to score 5 pointers that hurt Argentina. But I could see their scrum easing them to victory over Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

P_1, Sure Ireland would have chalked up a couple of wins against the ABs in recent times if games against the them only lasted 60 minutes

• Advertisement

Ah Savea, what could have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Bottler!

That is poor from Kerr-Barlow, so blatant.

Bit more class bit more fitness bit better bench. But that was a genuine test match.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Awful tackles.

And there is the BP.

BOD v (Ben) Smith to be savoured in November.

Luatua to start next week. Time to promote the young gun. But I doubt it'll happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

What a fab result and great to see the crowd so subdued at the end. Roll on next weekend - at a civilised hour too!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I <3 Ben Smith

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    I <3 Ben Smith

That 1st try was a thing of beauty between Nonu & B.Smith. Fab set-piece tries from the flashy backs are always my favourite! I shudder to think of NZ without Nonu/Smith or SBW/Smith...which is probably only a couple of seasons away.

Conrad Smith >> all other NZ centres I have seen (including Smokin' Joe, Bunce & Umaga)

Conrad Smith ≃ BOD, I guess BOD has achieved more in an Irish team that hasn't always played well, and he has a serious amount of 5 pointers for a centre. Both deserve the international Hall of Fame at some point, anyway.

Advertisement