Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So local Multiplayer is a dying breed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Me and my brother's lived by goldeneye, timesplitters and my personal favourite, operation desert storm on the ps1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I remember having some very late night sessions of Kula World! with a few friends. I actually remember a workmate,who was a bit of a chancer, offering to steal it from a video store using a fake ID, for me, for a tenner! :D [I didn't take him up on it btw] I used to rent games a lot at the time. Anyone still do that?? Not steal ... rent! I would more so if xtra vision wasn't a mile away. Getting the games was always easy, it's the having to return them is a bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'm not a massive online game fan. It almost always ends with some 13yr old with too many privileges mouthing off at everyone before his Mom is heard screaming in the background ...

I miss the good old times - when you had to gather around in a mate's 'gaff' [or yours, pity the fool for the clean up!] for beers and a bout of poker and gaming.

For me it was a group of lads from work, all very casual gamers, all ps2/xbox owners who liked to compete, but were never obsessive about it. We'd get out bag o' cans each, crowd around the set up - play 2-4 player games - even Buzz!!! for the craic. No matter the game, we had some craic. Some of the better sessions we had revolved around who could last the longest on 5-6 stars on Vice city, or setting up our own make up leagues on FIFA.

You cannot beat the buzz of 'owning' your opponents when they are in the room :D

I'd play more online, IF, the level of maturity in general upped a fair bit. I have all the means to do it. Got a 360 with head set ... got a laptop capable of online gaming plus headset/mic.. just can't be bothered these days as I'm a lot older now - - :/ and also, thetimes I did try it out, ended up in a mess of slagging. Mostly with snot-nosed 12yr old yanks!

Yeah, I'm sorry to tell you this, but those are 22 year olds with shrill voices, not 12 year olds. Easy mistake...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I prefer local multiplayer games. Sadly logistics make it less and less a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Back in Galway a bunch of us to cart our PCs over to a friend's house every odd weekend for a wee LAN party of COD4/DotA/Supreme Commander/whatever else we all played.

Must see if I can organise something similar down in Caark.

• Advertisement

Sarky wrote: »
    Back in Galway a bunch of us to cart our PCs over to a friend's house every odd weekend for a wee LAN party of COD4/DotA/Supreme Commander/whatever else we all played.

Must see if I can organise something similar down in Caark.

Herself would kill me. But I can think of worse reasons to be strangled over...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

COYVB wrote: »
    proportionate to releases. the stats are as follows: in 2006, 67% of games released on PS3 and Xbox 360 had online multiplayer, 58% had local multiplayer and 28% had no multiplayer. Of games released for the same systems in 2012, 42% had online multiplayer, 44% had local multiplayer and 41% had no multiplayer

i had to go and dig up one of my old articles for this, so say thanks :pac:

The real question is, how many games are released now.

More indie style games are being released now than ever, and they rarely have online play. I'd say its either still the same or increased for AAA titles

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

nesf wrote: »
    Herself would kill me. But I can think of worse reasons to be strangled over...

You're with the wrong woman, my wife comes to LANs with me to play :P

You're with the wrong woman, my wife comes to LANs with me to play :P

You want separate hobbies, preferably ones that happen on different nights, it makes arguments about whose turn it is to stay in and mind the kids a lot simpler. :P

(Plus Sarky knows my wife and I'm sure the image of my wife successfully strangling me amuses him :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There are less now than there were in the first year of the current generation, proportionally speaking

It really not, there are very few single player focused games that don't have a mp tacked on.

• Advertisement

What's bugged me most about modern online games is the doing away with dedicated servers in favour of having one of the players host the game. That'd be fine if everyone was on a super-fast connection, but it almost always causes problems. I'm sick of having the action pause so the game can 'migrate' to a new host, only to find everyone else is about as sick of it as I am and has quit in disgust, leaving me with no bloody game at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

proportionate to releases. the stats are as follows: in 2006, 67% of games released on PS3 and Xbox 360 had online multiplayer, 58% had local multiplayer and 28% had no multiplayer. Of games released for the same systems in 2012, 42% had online multiplayer, 44% had local multiplayer and 41% had no multiplayer

i had to go and dig up one of my old articles for this, so say thanks :pac:

Not that surprising when you consider the amount of games released in 2012 is probably far greater than 2006 when the 360 and PS3 were finding its feet still. With far more Indie and lower budget/profile games existing in 2012, they are bound to drag the multiplayer numbers down.

Its an meaningless fact you brought up, in reality, there are far more games with online multiplayer now than 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Cans, takeaway, few mates and co-opius amounts of gaming. Great cheap way to spend a night.

I bought Diablo 3 last week for the sole purpose of playing some local co-op tomorrow night!
    Used to play Resident Evil 5 a lot. We finished it on every difficulty, then hit Mercenaries up until all hours.

We'd play COD, Guitar Hero & FIFA a fair bit, but sometimes it's nice to play a full game, like RE.

Co-Optimus is a good site, unfortunately, it highlights the lack of Couch Co-Op games.
    Army Of Two had the right idea, but it didn't play greatly. It would have been nice if they threw in more statistics at the end of missions, helps move the competitive nature of everyone along

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Silk_Worm_-_1989_-_Virgin_Games,_Ltd..jpg

An older co-op game but a true great. :cool:

Split screen is pretty much dead now but co-op is just about still hanging in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Boards -> Fighting Games

Offline is best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, another night of gaming, vodka and pizza. Picked up borderlands 2 off my buddy and we picked up resident evil 6 in gamestop. We will see how night will go own :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

One of my earliest experiences of local coop was Conflict Desert Storm on PS2. Wasnt a great game but it was amazing at the time to choose your class and then inch through level. Whoever was the sniper tried to get high ground to cover the other guy and the 2 AIs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Serious Sam 3 on splitscreen is great craic, had it setup in a way on my PC where I was using a keyboard on my monitor and my mate was using a controller on my TV.

Agricola wrote: »
    One of my earliest experiences of local coop was Conflict Desert Storm on PS2. Wasnt a great game but it was amazing at the time to choose your class and then inch through level. Whoever was the sniper tried to get high ground to cover the other guy and the 2 AIs.

Hmm, I think my first local co-op was a decathalon game on the Apple II. First proper graphical one was probably Golden Axe on the Mega Drive.

d22ontour wrote: »
    [
    An older co-op game but a true great. :cool:

Split screen is pretty much dead now but co-op is just about still hanging in there.

F*CK YEAH SILKWORM.

Hours of fun fighting my brother for the right to be the helicopter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Dead nation and gatling guns are 2 more recent co-op games.Both excellent.

As mentioned earlier, Wii games and some DS games tend to a lot more local co-op friendly than the other platforms. Mainly I think because of the family focus of the consoles but there's still some fun games for adults there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Honestly it does seem like local multiplayer is becoming less prevalent these days. Have to say though that I think PC LAN matches are the most fun in local. They're also the hardest to achieve (everyone needs to have a computer that can handle it and it's more awkward to setup) but it's great when you can each have your own full screen to play on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Not so much split screen but we used to have a LOT of fun with Soldier of Fortune on the LAN. Amazing. Then go out on online multi-player with a few computers in the one room and wreak some old-school clan havoc.

I remember the SOF disk (PC) had no COA and didn't need to run with the disc so it could be installed multiple times. Best fun ever.

Advertisement