Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So local Multiplayer is a dying breed?

Options
  • 25-09-2013 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

Me and my friend like now and then play some Co-op stuff on ps3/360 ( or fighting games for ****s and giggles ). Its just a bit of fun with few drinks ( or not that few... ).

Last game we played - RE5. Its crap game, but can be quite fun in Co op, at least up until the late game, which becomes a a chain boss fight ( same boss with pretty much same ****y tactic ) with QTE bull****. We just gave up on the last part of last boss... Just got sick of the same crap over and over with Massive QTE spam. We are not going back, which leaves us in a pickle. Whats next?!

I just scrolling amazon and trying to remember some games, which should be fun co op, but to my surprise almost all games have their split screen completely wiped off! :confused: Any game I check on has only online multiplayer. In my eyes local multiplayer is the strogest part of Console gaming. Its a shame to see this being fazed out like that.

So yeah, bummer. I am in a bit of a pickle on what to get or what to recomend for my friend to pick up ( We play ps3 at my house and 360 at his house ).

So far I am thinking of getting Diablo 3, but I am afraid he might not like it as he is not a HUGE gamer. RE5 was briliant for us as it was easy enough to pick up and pew pew.
    I am getting Borderlands 2 of my friend. Maybe it will be more fun to play with buddy. As much as I love the universe and characters in that game, I just get bored super fast.
    Any other Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

WiiU + Monster Hunter + 3DS + Monster Hunter + couch + beer and popcorn = problem solved.
    And I know you're at least half way there with the hardware :)

Make that 2 chairs instead of a couch, don't want things getting a little too Top Gun after a particularly emotional hunt. What happens in Moga Village doesn't always stay in Moga Village, y'know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Vegas1/2 are pretty solid local co-op.

Halo?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Banjo wrote: »
    WiiU + Monster Hunter + 3DS + Monster Hunter + couch + beer and popcorn = problem solved.
    And I know you're at least half way there with the hardware :)

Make that 2 chairs instead of a couch, don't want things getting a little too Top Gun after a particularly emotional hunt. What happens in Moga Village doesn't always stay in Moga Village, y'know?

Hehe, I would gladly buy Wii U for Monster hunter 3 alone ( I almost did ), but I am not that financially good at the moment.

kaimera: Vegas is not really my cup of tea and I Could not give less ****s about Halo m8. Never liked the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

A bit old but Left 4 dead? My fav split screen co op.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't know if it will ever die completely. People will always want to play together in the same room and have a few beers or whatever. Mario kart comps have started up at a few house parties I've been at and its always a bit of craic when everyone is hammered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Technically, so is online multiplayer. A smaller percentage of games feature it now than 7 years ago, incredibly

COYVB wrote: »
    Technically, so is online multiplayer. A smaller percentage of games feature it now than 7 years ago, incredibly

EA says hello! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Any decent Sport's game is alway's a good laugh,Boxing especially.

Army of two had the right idea a few year's back I thought but it never really manifested into anything special.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,936 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Spent ages playing Timesplitters and Battlefront with my brothers. Shame, nothing as fun now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

titan18 wrote: »
    Spent ages playing Timesplitters and Battlefront with my brothers. Shame, nothing as fun now.

I'm not a big fan of reboot's in general but there's potential for an amazing game there.I haven't played Borderlands but I've heard there's similarities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I don't suppose either of you have a Wii gathering dust somewhere? If so then Mario Kart and New Super Mario Bros Wii are two of the best co-op experiences of the last several years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I still frequently play Dawn of War 1 on LAN with a friend while drinking. It is great fun even after all this time. I do think LANs are largely a thing of the past, though, with modern internet connections one of the big draws has been ruled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Definitely a dying breed from my experience, my best mate is big into gaming so we like to play local co-op games whenever possible but its increasingly hard over the past few years to find anything worth playing, some great experiences in the past from Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters etc etc but then recently its been slim pickings with blow average campaigns in Resistance 3 and similar.

It looks like it'll be next get before the idea of rendering a full game twice on the same screen can become a reality but hopefully local multiplayer might make some soft of comeback again

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Zillah wrote: »
    I still frequently play Dawn of War 1 on LAN with a friend while drinking. It is great fun even after all this time. I do think LANs are largely a thing of the past, though, with modern internet connections one of the big draws has been ruled out.

LAN is being killed off by developers mostly because as you say people have internet connections and can play it that way easily enough and partly because it makes it much harder to pirate the game and still play multiplayer if the game requires official servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

What?

There are COUNTLESS online multiplayer games...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Earth Defence Force: Insect Armaggedon is a great game. I've not played it in co-op but it is perfect mindless shooter action that can get quite intense. Leave the brain at the door and shoot lots and lots of insects. The game is not graphically great but it is just solid good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

You should check out Pixeljunk Monsters on PSN. I believe it's about €5 and is an absolute blast to play in local co-op.

You'll get more hours out of it than a full priced game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Me and my friend like now and then play some Co-op stuff on ps3/360 ( or fighting games for ****s and giggles ). Its just a bit of fun with few drinks ( or not that few... ).

Last game we played - RE5. Its crap game, but can be quite fun in Co op, at least up until the late game, which becomes a a chain boss fight ( same boss with pretty much same ****y tactic ) with QTE bull****. We just gave up on the last part of last boss... Just got sick of the same crap over and over with Massive QTE spam. We are not going back, which leaves us in a pickle. Whats next?!

I just scrolling amazon and trying to remember some games, which should be fun co op, but to my surprise almost all games have their split screen completely wiped off! :confused: Any game I check on has only online multiplayer. In my eyes local multiplayer is the strogest part of Console gaming. Its a shame to see this being fazed out like that.

So yeah, bummer. I am in a bit of a pickle on what to get or what to recomend for my friend to pick up ( We play ps3 at my house and 360 at his house ).

So far I am thinking of getting Diablo 3, but I am afraid he might not like it as he is not a HUGE gamer. RE5 was briliant for us as it was easy enough to pick up and pew pew.
    I am getting Borderlands 2 of my friend. Maybe it will be more fun to play with buddy. As much as I love the universe and characters in that game, I just get bored super fast.
    Any other Ideas?

I feel your pain. Local multiplayer is way more fun than online.

co-optimus.com lists all multiplayer games on what ever system you want. has a nice search filter system too so you can filter it down to couch multiplayer.
    ps3 search

EDIT: just checked and Resident Evil 6 is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

iirc, co-optimus.com do reviews specifically on the cooperate content of games - could be worth a browse for some overlooked games

/edit hah, great minds..! ^^^^

Just picked up second hand PS3 controller for 40eu, which was only a week old and got Diablo 3 in gamestop for 40eu, by using trade in magic! :pac: Had a buddy for few hours at my place and we played diablo 3 co op. A lot more fun in local multiplayer then pure online.

I need to fins more games on ps3 for 2 players now. Even if those are indy or ps1/ps2 games. Then I need to get Twisted metal again as I had it borrowed from a buddy and he took it back last week :(. That is some crack co op.

Cheers for that website, I am going to check it all out now! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Just picked up second hand PS3 controller for 40eu, which was only a week old and got Diablo 3 in gamestop for 40eu, by using trade in magic! :pac: Had a buddy for few hours at my place and we played diablo 3 co op. A lot more fun in local multiplayer then pure online.

I need to fins more games on ps3 for 2 players now. Even if those are indy or ps1/ps2 games. Then I need to get Twisted metal again as I had it borrowed from a buddy and he took it back last week :(. That is some crack co op.

Cheers for that website, I am going to check it all out now! :D

Portal 2 is a hoot in local co-op....

BeerWolf wrote: »
    What?

There are COUNTLESS online multiplayer games...

There are less now than there were in the first year of the current generation, proportionally speaking

Nah, online multiplayer is being put everywhere in the last few years. Even where it was needed at all. Thanks God some publishers and developers understood that you don't need it everywhere. EA is totally different story though.

The local multiplayer is dying breed on the other hand. I checked the list on that website and there's barely anything. I hope next gen will bring it back with a help of more raw power.

Something like dead space 3 not having local co OP is just stupid...

Nah, online multiplayer is being put everywhere in the last few years

I'm giving you a fact, not an opinion. There are proportionally less online games now than 7 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm giving you a fact, not an opinion. There are proportionally less online games now than 7 years ago

Proportionate to what?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 GT_Dublin

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is a really great little co-op game...very overlooked.

Myself and a mate decided to give it a go one Friday night...7 or 8 hours later we had finished it...all in one straight sitting and we had a great time.

Should be cheap on PSN/XBLA and can't recommend enough. A co-op experience everyone should play in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Spare a thought for me.. none of my friends play games. :(

Zillah wrote: »
    Proportionate to what?

proportionate to releases. the stats are as follows: in 2006, 67% of games released on PS3 and Xbox 360 had online multiplayer, 58% had local multiplayer and 28% had no multiplayer. Of games released for the same systems in 2012, 42% had online multiplayer, 44% had local multiplayer and 41% had no multiplayer

i had to go and dig up one of my old articles for this, so say thanks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

proportionate to releases. the stats are as follows: in 2006, 67% of games released on PS3 and Xbox 360 had online multiplayer, 58% had local multiplayer and 28% had no multiplayer. Of games released for the same systems in 2012, 42% had online multiplayer, 44% had local multiplayer and 41% had no multiplayer

i had to go and dig up one of my old articles for this, so say thanks :pac:

People may be confused since you said games instead of console games and both seem to be being discussed here, and there's whole DRM-dressed up as online co-op/multipler thing going on in PC gaming for the past while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I'm not a massive online game fan. It almost always ends with some 13yr old with too many privileges mouthing off at everyone before his Mom is heard screaming in the background ...

I miss the good old times - when you had to gather around in a mate's 'gaff' [or yours, pity the fool for the clean up!] for beers and a bout of poker and gaming.

For me it was a group of lads from work, all very casual gamers, all ps2/xbox owners who liked to compete, but were never obsessive about it. We'd get out bag o' cans each, crowd around the set up - play 2-4 player games - even Buzz!!! for the craic. No matter the game, we had some craic. Some of the better sessions we had revolved around who could last the longest on 5-6 stars on Vice city, or setting up our own make up leagues on FIFA.

You cannot beat the buzz of 'owning' your opponents when they are in the room :D

I'd play more online, IF, the level of maturity in general upped a fair bit. I have all the means to do it. Got a 360 with head set ... got a laptop capable of online gaming plus headset/mic.. just can't be bothered these days as I'm a lot older now - - :/ and also, thetimes I did try it out, ended up in a mess of slagging. Mostly with snot-nosed 12yr old yanks!

Advertisement