Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling holiday in Lanzarote - Where to go/stay?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭nilhg

DaithiMC wrote: »
    Enjoy it, the great thing about the climb out is the downhill return, with the wind at your back! The LZ30 on the way into Uga is a blast, got up to 70kph on a great surface! The LZ30 is a lovely road to come down, I went up through the National Park, LZ67 to La Santa and over to Famares, back down the LZ402 to the LZ30. The 67 was headwind all the way but good surface, this became rougher after Mancha Blanca and got better a few km out of Famares, and remained fine until intersecting with the LZ2 where there are roadworks underway and you are fighting crosswinds for a while, when you turn off for Puerto Calero though, the fun starts again and you finish off with a smile again ready for the next morning!

The LZ67 coming back towards Yazia from the National Park (by the camels) is a blast with the wind behind you, good surface, straight and not too much traffic, much easier that way than the other, but worth doing either way.

10537548365_cec9d7bda5_c.jpg
    PA280611 by cilldara, on Flickr

10537790953_809ded8104_c.jpg
    PA280605 by cilldara, on Flickr

The other circuit really not to be missed if you're up for the climb is to go up from Arrieta through Tabayesco and the switchbacks and down the LZ10 to Teguise, a really great spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

nilhg wrote: »
    The LZ67 coming back towards Yazia from the National Park (by the camels) is a blast with the wind behind you, good surface, straight and not too much traffic, much easier that way than the other, but worth doing either way.

The other circuit really not to be missed if you're up for the climb is to go up from Arrieta through Tabayesco and the switchbacks and down the LZ10 to Teguise, a really great spin.

Yes, I agree with that but its 50:50, had to get North either on the LZ30 or the LZ67, either would be great with the wind in the back but the LZ67 might be better as there's less traffic and a very long straight bit.

I also took a small circuit going right after Yaiza and out to El Golfo, a lovely small hamlet, with more cafés and restaurants than La Santa and great coastline. Short, steepish climb back out and then South along the coast (LZ703) past their salt production inlets, that was also a great surface, wind in the back, great views road. I crossed over the LZ30 onto the LZ702 up to Las Breñas and looped around up a little leg breaker to Femés and back down to LZ2 and back along to Puerto Calero.

I have to get up to the other end, the couple of switchback climbs and views on Google streetview look amazing - something to go back for!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Daniogroove

Well, I got back on Thursday and have to say I loved it. Stayed in PDC and got our bikes from Renners (full carbon with Ultregra 50/34). We went out 5 days, taking one rest day. Pretty much covered most of the Island over the week without any issues. PDC is nice to come home too especially from the south of the island which gives you a lovely few kilometers of downhill before getting home.
    As for the wind, I really wouldn't go by the weather forecast whatsoever! We had a SSE wind all week but to be honest even coming back from Playa Blanca we had a head wind. Its so open and with all the hills there is lots of downdrafts and crosswinds which can get scary at times.

All in all happy out. Think we got 365km in over 5 rides but only got 40 odd on the last day (rain and 56kmh winds)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Macadam,
    Did you get any takers for March? I'll be over there from the 24th of Feb to the 10th of March if anyone wants to meet for a few spins. I'm not very fast and I'm a brutal climber so I might not be the best company if you're a mountain goat.

Trying to decide whether to bring my own bike or rent one. €100 with Ryanair to bring it but it works out around the same as 5 days rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Wont be there until the 10th and Im well of a mountain goat. The bike you hire will be top spec I deal with Renner bikes think I was getting the bike for €80 7 days, there are two more shops opened now and all plying for business, it will be busy in march so book one in advance, enjoy and get some climbing in before you head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Daniogroove

Donie75 wrote: »
    Macadam,
    Did you get any takers for March? I'll be over there from the 24th of Feb to the 10th of March if anyone wants to meet for a few spins. I'm not very fast and I'm a brutal climber so I might not be the best company if you're a mountain goat.

Trying to decide whether to bring my own bike or rent one. €100 with Ryanair to bring it but it works out around the same as 5 days rental.

If your gonna be there that long, definitely bring your own bike unless you only intend on doing a little bit of cycling.

There only is 3 real climbs on the whole island. One down south, from playa de blanca up to femes (long drag and short but very steep finish) and tabayesco to lz-10 and Haria to lz-10.
    The whole island is generally rolling hills

Keep in mind that when you start and finish at the same point your average gradient it always 0%. Remember that when your legs are burning near the summits :-D

If your gonna be there that long, definitely bring your own bike unless you only intend on doing a little bit of cycling.

There only is 3 real climbs on the whole island. One down south, from playa de blanca up to femes (long drag and short but very steep finish) and tabayesco to lz-10 and Haria to lz-10.
    The whole island is generally rolling hills

Keep in mind that when you start and finish at the same point your average gradient it always 0%. Remember that when your legs are burning near the summits :-D
    This will be my eight consecutive year on Lanza, Ive done them all just love those climbs to tabayesco and Haria not to fond of the spin out to Playa Blanca and back via the femes climb but do it occaisionally the road is mad busy, normally finish with a half sprint up Cardiac hill against the flow of traffic, as for the bike its not worth the hassle and its actually cheaper to hire, Renners have all my measurements and the bike is set up when I arrive also if you break a chain or anything they will come and replace the bike no matter where you are on the island.
    Looking forward to it now especially with the current weather we are having, roll on 4 weeks, better get some hills in here soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Thanks lads.
    I'm staying in Peurto Del Carmen. Still haven't decided whether I'll bring my own bike. Last time I was there I rented a nice carbon Merida off Renners and I did a 55km afternoon spin up along the coast to Costa Teguise. Then I went inland the following morning for a very hilly 30km spin towards St Bartholmew and it only worked out as a 24 hour rental.
    I might do 3 x 24 hour rentals and get 2 spins in each time.

Anyone got any good routes on Stravo, Garmin or Map My Ride that I can download. Looking at 30 to 60km spins.

Donie75 wrote: »
    Thanks lads.
    I'm staying in Peurto Del Carmen. Still haven't decided whether I'll bring my own bike. Last time I was there I rented a nice carbon Merida off Renners and I did a 55km afternoon spin up along the coast to Costa Teguise. Then I went inland the following morning for a very hilly 30km spin towards St Bartholmew and it only worked out as a 24 hour rental.
    I might do 3 x 24 hour rentals and get 2 spins in each time.

Anyone got any good routes on Stravo, Garmin or Map My Ride that I can download. Looking at 30 to 60km spins.
    If you email Renners they will give you a good deal.

Advertisement