Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling holiday in Lanzarote - Where to go/stay?

Options
  • 25-09-2013 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hey Everyone,

Thinking about a cycling holiday maybe late November/early December..
    I'm just looking for suggestions on which resort and/or hotel to use as a base for my spins..
    While I'm on the subject, a good bike rental shop too.. doesn't have to be in the same area but it would be nice.

Cheers cyclists!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

Puerto del Carmen,

Tacky in parts but has everything you need, good bike rental owned by German man, got a MERIDA frame with 105.. plenty of climbing in the area....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Been to Puerto del Carmen many times on holidays. Nice spot. Has everything that you want/need. Weather won't be too hot at that time either and if you avoid the Christmas/NY time frame it won't be that busy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

oh, and the earlier the spin the better, I remember the wind picking up in the afternoon.. painful.....

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

I was in Puerto del Carmen and used Renners bike rental there.
    Perfectly fine and no issues.
    I have been told that triathlon teams and cycling pros have been known to use club la santa for winter training.
    Might be worth a look.

http://www.clublasanta.com/sports-activities/sports-overview/outdoor-sports/cycling

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

going over for the ocean lava tri in PDC in early november, renting a bike from renners, very easy to deal with.
    been to lanzarote before but that was pre biking days, not i'm going to do all 3 sports in a short(hopefully) period

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Am heading over next week for Lanzarote 70.3! Im staying at Sands Beach Resort in Costa Teguise which is quite a bit cheaper than Club la Santa and isnt isolated as La Santa. I'll let you know how it is when im back

• Registered Users Posts: 48 apm0003

I've been to Lanzarote quite a few times and last time I rented a Specilazed Tarmac Sport 105 from Revolution Bikes in Puerto Del Carmen. Very nice English couple run it and I was very happy with the bike and the overall service. We stay up the coast from Puerto Del Carmen (in Puerto Calero ) and they deliver the bike to your hotel and set it up for you.

Puerto Del Carmen is probably the best bet as a base, you are in the middle of the island (on the coast of course) so you are in a good position to go on spins to most parts of the Island.

Cycling in Lanzarote is wonderful once you keep to the quiet roads. There is one major road that runs the length of the Island and I always avoided it as much as I could. Most roads are beautifully smooth and the views are stunning. I was there in May on a two week holiday with my wife and got in some good training runs to prepare for the Wicklow 200 this year ...good job given the weather we had ! Lanazarote is mostly low hills but there is some challanging climbing (challanging for me anyway!) to be done up at the north-East end of the Island. Around Puerto Del Carmen you get fairly small hills with 250-300M elevations that run along the middle of the Island so you pretty much alway have a climb to do at the start of your spin unless you just head along the coast. The main challange I found was the wind ...the North East winds would get up to 30-35KM an hour in the afternoon and I found myself stuggling to keep at 15KM/hr on the flat road out to La Santa on the far side of the Island but it was nice on the return leg spinning along at 50KM and feeling like you were a pro :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I rented from a bike shop in Peurto del carmen, very good service, cannot remember which one. They organized a mountain bike safari which is a great way to see the island and learn a bit about the history. Rented a road bike for 4 days also.

Don't forget to pack your shoes and pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Daniogroove

Chiparus wrote: »
    I rented from a bike shop in Peurto del carmen, very good service, cannot remember which one. They organized a mountain bike safari which is a great way to see the island and learn a bit about the history. Rented a road bike for 4 days also.

Don't forget to pack your shoes and pedals.

Thanks, will do.. any trouble taking them on as hand luggage with the screws and all that. You know what their like!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

25sean wrote: »
    oh, and the earlier the spin the better, I remember the wind picking up in the afternoon.. painful.....

I tried to leave between 7 and 8 for this reason and favoured routes where you head North (trade winds there). Noticed though most people were a lot later leaving.

• Advertisement

Bambaata wrote: »
    Am heading over next week for Lanzarote 70.3! Im staying at Sands Beach Resort in Costa Teguise which is quite a bit cheaper than Club la Santa and isnt isolated as La Santa. I'll let you know how it is when im back

Costa Teguise is a nice place, easy to get out of and very nice spins heading North.

Anybody every rented in Playa Blanca ? Have a weeks holidays to use up and half thinking of an early december trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I was in Costa Teguise May this year and rented from Tommy's Bike Hut - definitely recommend them. I went north as I only got one ride in and it was great cycling. I didn't get out too early and my Garmin registered 40 degrees but once you're moving you don't feel it as the winds cool you (won't be that hot this time of year)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dexty

Lanzarotte is great for cycling. The last week of November there is a big running event out of la santa. 4 days, 10K, 15K, 5K beach and half marathon, so you get a lot of runners who do that and then a bit of biking for the rest of the week. A lot of Irish running clubs do it. Renners or revolution is accessible from anywhere and great (@20-25 euros a day good bike hire), Porto del Carmen probably the nicest and liveliest to stay at night. Only thing I found that it would of been great with a group, bit boring cycling every day on your own and nothing to push u really. Can get windy on some of the descents back to Porto del Carmen! enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

whatever you do, dont forget the cream cakes at lolita's in san bartolome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

used to be a regular and always stayed in porto del carmel and it was fine but costa teguise also looked nice. some of the guys rented off that german guy and were very happy but ther is a fab shop in la santa who used to do scott bikes, nice helpful english couple.try to get as far north as you can before midday to get tail wind home, and check out climb called tabbyesco

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Scrumdog

Revolution were brilliant earlier this year . Really great bikes and great service. We booked before we went and everything was exactly as ordered. We brought our own pedals and no problems there. They delivered to our hotel and also collected. We stayed in playa Blanca and found that to be a great base for our cycles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RyanAndrew

Anybody every rented in Playa Blanca ? Have a weeks holidays to use up and half thinking of an early december trip.

I used these guys in playa blanca http://www.papagayobike.com/en/contact - there were fine , prices were right , bike was good and they gave suggested routes. There was nothing special about them but they are bike people not just punters out to make a quick buck. They did suggest a couple of paid services that I could avail of if I wanted - like been driven to the North of the island with the bike.

Be warned though , the first 10k as you head North each day is a pain in the butt. The wind is always against you , the road rises slightly all the way - unless you go out the mad hill to the right - and there is nothing to see once you've seen it the first day. No matter what way you return though, its a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Not much to see hilly,windy as hell and the roads are getting a bit rough off the main roads recently,on the plus side lots of cheap places to stay and hire bikes and warm thats the big one im sure ill be back in January
    Used theses last year http://www.lanzaroteinformation.com/content/new-bike-rental-and-sales-shop-puerto-del-carmen good service

dexty wrote: »
    Lanzarotte is great for cycling. The last week of November there is a big running event out of la santa. 4 days, 10K, 15K, 5K beach and half marathon, so you get a lot of runners who do that and then a bit of biking for the rest of the week. A lot of Irish running clubs do it. Renners or revolution is accessible from anywhere and great (@20-25 euros a day good bike hire), Porto del Carmen probably the nicest and liveliest to stay at night. Only thing I found that it would of been great with a group, bit boring cycling every day on your own and nothing to push u really. Can get windy on some of the descents back to Porto del Carmen! enjoy!

ha ha cheers, I look forward to it.. Just after booking the lot there, flights from knock(close for me), hotel with B&B and transfers for 254... not bad at all :)

• Advertisement

just booked mine for the 5th-12th Dec in Porto Del Carmen.. see you on the hills!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

ha ha cheers, I look forward to it.. Just after booking the lot there, flights from knock(close for me), hotel with B&B and transfers for 254... not bad at all :)

That's a very good deal, would you mind at all sharing the details (even by PM)? At that kind of price it has put a training week in the canaries very much to the front of my mind! Thanks for bringing the topic up btw :)

MojoMaker wrote: »
    That's a very good deal, would you mind at all sharing the details (even by PM)? At that kind of price it has put a training week in the canaries very much to the front of my mind! Thanks for bringing the topic up btw :)

Ya no problem.. just Ryanair return from knock.. flights were just under €226 (theres two of us going so bringing one 15kg bag at €40 (included))
    5th-12th Dec..
    Transfers by private car with Suntransfers.com.. airport to the hotel and back for €34 (no waiting for a bus or any of that hassle)
    And booked Costa Volcan & Spa in Puerto del Carmen for €228 for the week for the room so only 114 each smile.png

254 each after you pay your €10 knock airport charge.. bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Thanks for that Danio, I have been replicating that search and also finding good deals from Dublin - getting excited now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 doedoe

Make sure you send costa volcan an email requesting a poolside apartment , the other side is facing a busy street and u won't get a wink of sleep, also the bikes wont fit in the lift. Reveloutiion bikes in town centre have the best bikes and offer great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭nilhg

Just back home last night from a week in Lanzarote, had a ball, got a great week's cycling in, as someone else said earlier in the thread windy as hell but you do get the few minutes of terror bliss as you smash your PR high speed with the wind behind to make up for the hard work earlier on.

We stayed in the Hotel Floresta in Matogorda, very bike friendly, just had to wheel the bike in by the pool and up into the apartment, I rented the bike from ProactionBH, just a 10 minute walk up the road, it was a very nice aero model, 105 with basic enough Shimano wheels but a very decent machine to ride. Staff in the shop were dead sound, gave me the bike out Saturday evening so I could be away on Sunday morning even though the official rental period was from Sunday.

I found the local drivers to be very respectful of cyclists, never had a moments worry in nearly 400km over the week, some lovely routes and climbs, a couple of highlights would have been the Tabayesco climb, the other parallel route up through Haria, the road through the national park (especially the superfast segment down past the Camel rides) and the stretch of road down to and up out of La Santa.

I found most of the roads to be good, though there are a few exceptions, especially round Tias, though I find it hard to understand why in certain places they resurfaced the roads but only out to the white line leaving the hard shoulder 3 to 4 inches down with a very poor surface.

I'd recommend Lanzarote for anyone that fancies a weeks warm weather break with some cycling thrown in, I'd certainly be hoping to go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Heading over in March if anyone wants to meet up for a few spins arrive March 10 for 10 days, bring it on..

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Just back yesterday myself, stayed in Puerto Calero, so had a good 200m climb over the first 3.5km to get up to the roads that you can then navigate to the other parts. I rented from Revolution Bikes, great, efficient service, bike was set up well as I had sent my measurements ahead of time. I would recommend them in an instant.

Observations: Coming back in the later morning, I went out at around 8am and was back mostly between 12 and 1, with the wind in your back was great fun. Going out with strong winds in the face and a general uphill haul from the coast saps the enthusiasm a bit. In general good roads, but several spalled surfaces made it harder on the arse, though I think the different saddle was also a factor. A great variation to home landscapes, through the Timanafaya National Park was like going through a lunar landscape.

I had the thought that I might check out Teguise for a place next time. I'm not an addict for the beach and if there was a good hotel with a pool, or spa, I would consider this, its in the centre of the island so anywhere is probably within an hour or two on the bike

I think the winds were quite strong this week according to the bike rental folk but it is definitely the biggest feature of cycling there. Still, considering this or one of the other islands next year.

DaithiMC wrote: »
    Just back yesterday myself, stayed in Puerto Calero, so had a good 200m climb over the first 3.5km to get up to the roads that you can then navigate to the other parts. I rented from Revolution Bikes, great, efficient service, bike was set up well as I had sent my measurements ahead of time. I would recommend them in an instant.

Observations: Coming back in the later morning, I went out at around 8am and was back mostly between 12 and 1, with the wind in your back was great fun. Going out with strong winds in the face and a general uphill haul from the coast saps the enthusiasm a bit. In general good roads, but several spalled surfaces made it harder on the arse, though I think the different saddle was also a factor. A great variation to home landscapes, through the Timanafaya National Park was like going through a lunar landscape.

I had the thought that I might check out Teguise for a place next time. I'm not an addict for the beach and if there was a good hotel with a pool, or spa, I would consider this, its in the centre of the island so anywhere is probably within an hour or two on the bike

I think the winds were quite strong this week according to the bike rental folk but it is definitely the biggest feature of cycling there. Still, considering this or one of the other islands next year.

Thanks for the heads up on the climb, it looks like a absolute bastard! ha ha! I look forward to collapsing over the handle bars at the end :D
    I've been in touch with Renners bike rental for mine, looking a getting a full carbon with ultrega groupset, getting it for €104 for 5 days which is sound for that caliber of bike.
    Getting excited now! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Thanks for the heads up on the climb, it looks like a absolute bastard! ha ha! I look forward to collapsing over the handle bars at the end :D
    I've been in touch with Renners bike rental for mine, looking a getting a full carbon with ultrega groupset, getting it for €104 for 5 days which is sound for that caliber of bike.
    Getting excited now! :)

Enjoy it, the great thing about the climb out is the downhill return, with the wind at your back! The LZ30 on the way into Uga is a blast, got up to 70kph on a great surface! The LZ30 is a lovely road to come down, I went up through the National Park, LZ67 to La Santa and over to Famares, back down the LZ402 to the LZ30. The 67 was headwind all the way but good surface, this became rougher after Mancha Blanca and got better a few km out of Famares, and remained fine until intersecting with the LZ2 where there are roadworks underway and you are fighting crosswinds for a while, when you turn off for Puerto Calero though, the fun starts again and you finish off with a smile again ready for the next morning!

Advertisement