Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad vibe after All Ireland Senior Football Final?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Each case of concussion is different. Depends on the player, case by case.
    You could see Cooper was fooked.
    Different degrees of concussion and all that.
    O'Carroll was fine to play on, been there myself :) (tough cookie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Slattsy wrote: »

Not one single sport I can think of, unless you can correct me, differntiates between any degrees of concussion, quite simply concussion is concussion.

Wasn't there a case recently when a young lad did something similar and was involved in a second collision and unfortunately died, being a tough cookie has absolutely nothing to do with it, an injury to the head is the same for everyone.

There are different grades of concussion.

Depends how tough you are too, Dubs are made of stern stuff. You dont become champions if you cant get up and play on after a wee knock on the crown :pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Concussion is sport is a major issue and plenty has been detailed over the years on the after effects of concussion on players.
    Like Rugby etc the GAA need to follow up on this and bring in a zero tolerance, been tough has nothing to do with it if you end up with a brain injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Depends how tough you are too, Dubs are made of stern stuff. You dont become champions if you cant get up and play on after a wee knock on the crown :pac:

Yeah, I think there are different grades of concussion. However, the emerging trend seems to be to take no risks when it comes to any form of concussion. Better safe than sorry

• Advertisement

Now lets see if the lads can find something else to have a pop at Dublin over :D

Thats the medical team covered.

Whats next?
    Were the jersey's ironed properly?
    Was there insufficient milk added to you tea at half time by the Dublin staff in Croker?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

PRAF wrote: »
    AFAIK the amount of subs allowed is being increased to 6 to allow for the introduction of the black card. However, if you've used up your 6 then you cannot replace a man if he gets a black card

As stated previously it is primed for abuse isn't it. It will really suit teams with a strong bench who will be at no meaningful disadvantage when a player is carded. A sin bin system similar to rugby is the only way to cut out the cynical stuff and really hurt teams who are constantly fouling.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Now lets see if the lads can find something else to have a pop at Dublin over :D

Whats next?
    Was there insufficient milk added to you tea at half time by the Dublin staff in Croker?

Your getting a tad parnoid there Slattsy, accept your win with some dignity, your not doing too well so far.

As said already, in any other sport he would have been taken off, for his own safety, its not in GAA so they left him on, still doesn't mean the lad hasn't a brain injury and mightn't show up for a number of years.

Whats next?

Paranoid posters with chips on their shoulders who can't comment objectivly maybe :p

Im doing just fine :)

Clearly Im only joking.

Dublin tea ladies are second to none so i know thats not as issue ;)

• Advertisement

Paranoid posters with chips on their shoulders who can't comment objectivly maybe :p

Once i beat you in the FF i dont really mind any abuse i get :pac:

Once i beat you in the FF i dont really mind any abuse i get :pac:

Early days yet lad, Im like Bernard Brogan only getting warmed up and the class will eventually show, fair play to you for bringing the best out of me a little like the Mayo defense!

Early days yet lad, Im like Bernard Brogan only getting warmed up and the class will eventually show, fair play to you for bringing the best out of me a little like the Mayo defense!

A good opponent should always bring the best out of ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

harpsman wrote: »
    can somebody clear this up for me-if you ve used 5 subs and u get a black card can u still bring on a replacement-surelynot even in ireland could that be possible??

I'm not sure but any good manager will tell a player to get himself a black card. It's a free sub Why use a sub when you don't have to?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

With bullsh** comments like that maybe you are still suffering form concussion.
    Look at the research being done in rugby and American football regarding concussion.
    AFAIK there have a been a couple of incidents of players (rugby one comes to mind) where players left on the pitch and later collapse.

It is football not an old style Ali versus foreman match we are on about here.

What a load of sh**e.

Maybe you have recieved a few too many knocks to the head or perhaps maybe not enough to knock a bit sense into you.

One can see the point that gavin left him on the pitch because he had no subs and a body just taking up room is better than none at all.

But it is not a good precedent though because some day some player is going to really suffer for it.

All teams are cycnical when the need arises.
    The whole gavin acting holier than thou sh**e is the thing that is peeing off most people.

You would swear this year that gavin had invented some new form of new samba style football much like one would have assumed the last couple of years that mcguinness had taken some poor county like Carlow to the All Ireland.

And yes there is also a lot of hype about what Horan has done when at the end of the day we still had some of the old failings when it counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

I'm not sure but any good manager will tell a player to get himself a black card. It's a free sub Why use a sub when you don't have to?

There are measures in place to avoid abuse of the system AFAIK. Only 3 black cards allowed per team. Any more than that and it becomes a red for the next guy who commits a cynical foul.

Also, if you've used all of your subs already and a guy picks up a black card, it's tough titty for you. It's a de facto red in that case

That said, my preference would have been for a sin bin type penalty. This black card stuff seems a bit convoluted.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think both managers were quiet tbh. But when they did say anything it was blasted everywhere for days

jmayo wrote: »
    With bullsh** comments like that maybe you are still suffering form concussion.
    Look at the research being done in rugby and American football regarding concussion.
    AFAIK there have a been a couple of incidents of players (rugby one comes to mind) where players left on the pitch and later collapse.

It is football not an old style Ali versus foreman match we are on about here.

What a load of sh**e.

Maybe you have recieved a few too many knocks to the head or perhaps maybe not enough to knock a bit sense into you.

One can see the point that gavin left him on the pitch because he had no subs and a body just taking up room is better than none at all.

But it is not a good precedent though because some day some player is going to really suffer for it.

All teams are cycnical when the need arises.
    The whole gavin acting holier than thou sh**e is the thing that is peeing off most people.

You would swear this year that gavin had invented some new form of new samba style football much like one would have assumed the last couple of years that mcguinness had taken some poor county like Carlow to the All Ireland.

And yes there is also a lot of hype about what Horan has done when at the end of the day we still had some of the old failings when it counted.

Thanks for stopping by :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Nonsense.
    Did he lie? Nope.

He shouldnt have said it, but he didnt lie.

McQuillan was dire in the first half.

He demonstrably lied, and it wasnt mind games lies which are passed off as being grand like earlier on in the year. He said the ref favoured mayo ffs, absolute lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

PRAF wrote: »
    There are measures in place to avoid abuse of the system AFAIK. Only 3 black cards allowed per team. Any more than that and it becomes a red for the next guy who commits a cynical foul.

Also, if you've used all of your subs already and a guy picks up a black card, it's tough titty for you. It's a de facto red in that case

That said, my preference would have been for a sin bin type penalty. This black card stuff seems a bit convoluted.

Think most managers will leave the last(6th) sub so cover such issues. Essentially it gives a team 9 subs. Will only lead to the position of the teams with the stronger panels coming to the fore even more. Sin bin should have been the only thing brought in to deal with this kinda behaviour. Teams wouldn't be long copping on.

• Advertisement

He demonstrably lied, and it wasnt mind games lies which are passed off as being grand like earlier on in the year. He said the ref favoured mayo ffs, absolute lie.

He did.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Think most managers will leave the last(6th) sub so cover such issues. Essentially it gives a team 9 subs. Will only lead to the position of the teams with the stronger panels coming to the fore even more. Sin bin should have been the only thing brought in to deal with this kinda behaviour. Teams wouldn't be long copping on.

All the measures talked about will stop the falling and off ball incidents for about 68 minutes but if your winning by 3 points with a few minutes to go- your going to just take the player to the ground and hold up play as much as you can- it's easy to do and no amount of black cards or sin bins will stop it.

The whole 3 black cards and then red is extremely unfair way of doing it. And a ref would never give a red for something stupid.

He did.

good that you finally agree that he did lie. Still waiting for him to walk away now

Advertisement