Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht -v- Ulster - Saturday 21/9/2013 KO 6:45

Options
  • 20-09-2013 2:13pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Teams:

CONNACHT: G Duffy; F Carr, R Henshaw, E Griffin, M Healy; D Parks, K Marmion; B Wilkinson, J Harris-Wright, N White; M Swift (capt), C Clarke; J Heenan, W Faloon, J Muldoon. Replacements: S Henry, R Ah You, R Loughney, A Muldowney, G Naoupu, P O’Donohoe, C Ronaldson, D Poolman.

ULSTER: J Payne; D McIlwaine, D Cave, L Marshall, M Allen; P Jackson, I Porter; T Court, R Herring, D Fitzpatrick; J Muller (capt), I Henderson; R Wilson, C Henry, N Williams. Replacements: N Annett, K McCall, R Lutton, L Stevenson, R Diack, P Marshall, J McKinney, C Gilroy.

It's the first interpro of the season at the Sportsground and Ulster come into it looking for their first win of the season. They've named an incredibly strong team but are missing Pienaar who's on SA duty whilst pondering being poached by a team with a sugar daddy and a roster of highly paid South Africans.

Connacht have had a mixed start to the season but Craig Clarke makes his first competitve start. Jake Heenan has also impressed enough from the bench to warrant his first start and Fionn Carr replaces Tiernan O'Halloran. Otherwise it's a largely unchanged team from last weekend with a small doubt over George Nauopu on the bench.

TV: RTE/BBC NI
    Radio: Galway Bay FM

Who will win? 17 votes

Connacht
    0% 0 votes
    Ulster
    58% 10 votes
    Niall O'Connor
    41% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Heenan at 6 is a bit of a strange one is it? Thought he was more of a 7. Connacht's backrow looks a little off balance to me.

That Ulster 4-8 looks immense though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Harsh on Browne to miss out, thougth he was one of the few too play well last week in the Cardiff debacle
    Can't to see Clarke though in action..

Rodney still on bench though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

Thats a very strong team Ulster have out shows how desperate they are to get a win. Lovely evening here in Galway so our ball retention play should work out a lot better than it did last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

You think?

Missing Best, Afoa, Pienaar, Trimble, Bowe, Tuohy etc with Gilroy on the bench.

Its just our normal team really. Tuohy is getting rested so Hendo is in.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea we can definitely field much stronger teams than that.

This really is a must win game from an Ulster point of view. Nobody wants to lose 3 games in a row - never mind the first three of the season. I am quietly confident we'll have enough to see off Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I really want people to pay attention to Court in the scrum. He'll be scrumming towards the sidelines. Just wait and see. Last season I couldn't believe he was getting away with it all game

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

Maybe I'm wrong but to me thats about as strong a team as Ulster could put out what with injurys, Lions players, championship and I think is Touhy just being rested?

Certainly it's not the team I'd expect to see in an H cup game but not far off it. Who else who's currently available would Ulster fans expect to be there to improve it?

I hate to say it but I can't see us getting much out of this, our recent form against Ulster hasn't being great, we're a little unbalanced in the backrow and a relatively weak bench leaves us as the underdogs in this game even at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Head says BP win for Ulster, but hope says home advantage and sluggish start to season for Ulster might cap off a weekend of upsets. (nothing against Ulster, but given they are title contendors, would rather they didn't win!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Robbo wrote: »
    Teams:

CONNACHT: G Duffy; F Carr, R Henshaw, E Griffin, M Healy; D Parks, K Marmion; B Wilkinson, J Harris-Wright, N White; M Swift (capt), C Clarke; J Heenan, W Faloon, J Muldoon. Replacements: S Henry, R Ah You, R Loughney, A Muldowney, G Naoupu, P O’Donohoe, C Ronaldson, D Poolman.

ULSTER: J Payne; D McIlwaine, D Cave, L Marshall, M Allen; P Jackson, I Porter; T Court, R Herring, D Fitzpatrick; J Muller (capt), I Henderson; R Wilson, C Henry, N Williams. Replacements: N Annett, K McCall, R Lutton, L Stevenson, R Diack, P Marshall, J McKinney, C Gilroy.

It's the first interpro of the season at the Sportsground and Ulster come into it looking for their first win of the season. They've named an incredibly strong team but are missing Pienaar who's on SA duty whilst pondering being poached by a team with a sugar daddy and a roster of highly paid South Africans.

Connacht have had a mixed start to the season but Craig Clarke makes his first competitve start. Jake Heenan has also impressed enough from the bench to warrant his first start and Fionn Carr replaces Tiernan O'Halloran. Otherwise it's a largely unchanged team from last weekend with a small doubt over George Nauopu on the bench.

TV: RTE/BBC NI
    Radio: Galway Bay FM

Cheers for the write-up. I'm going to try and watch this: in terms of Connacht, I've been reading positive remarks about Henshaw & Marmion as possible Irish prospects, and of course the Kiwi lads Clarke, Heenan, Ah You I think too. And I'd like to take a first look at Ulster for the season, good to see Gilroy back to fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Hendo's in the row hey. I have been waiting for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,061 ✭✭✭✭phog

Think this will be an Ulster backlash and that they'll have a comfortable win but hope Connacht really give them a run for their money and a Connacht win, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Cheers for the write-up. I'm going to try and watch this: in terms of Connacht, I've been reading positive remarks about Henshaw & Marmion as possible Irish prospects, and of course the Kiwi lads Clarke, Heenan, Ah You I think too. And I'd like to take a first look at Ulster for the season, good to see Gilroy back to fitness.

I certainly don't think you heard positive remarks about Ah You

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

Looking forward to seeing how Hendo goes in the second row and how Henshaw goes at 13, I'm sure Schmidt will be watching this one so it's also a chance for Marmion to put his hands up for Irish selectional.

its_phil wrote: »
    I certainly don't think you heard positive remarks about Ah You

Lack of punctuation on my part. Positive remarks about henshaw & marmion. Full stop. Will also watch because of the kiwi lads...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The 6.45 ko will catch out a few casual viewers on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Swiwi. wrote: »
    the Kiwi lads Clarke, Heenan, Ah You

it is like spot the odd one out:pac:

wprathead wrote: »
    it is like spot the odd one out:pac:

In the depths of my memory, Rodney Ah You was vaguely a Crusaders wider squad member, I don't know maybe 4 or 5 years back. I think he played for Tasman or the like in ITM. Less pedigree than the other 2, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sheahan :mad:

Stephen Archer to get MOTM then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

As far as I could see, the ref has already missed a high tackle, a forward pass and a knock-on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

That forward pass was farcical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Is the RTE stream not working for anyone else?

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Is the RTE stream not working for anyone else?

Not for me either :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Jackson looks short on confidence, two touches and two bad errors

Didn't realise Marshall is only on the bench. He'll have a hard time convincing the Lions selectors from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

Wow, from the hit from Swifty, the great hands and then the break from Healy, that was a great passage of play from Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Who played the pass through the legs there? Was class. Great from Swift too.

Heenan enjoys the porter judging by the belly on him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Who played the pass through the legs there? Was class. Great from Swift too.
    pretty sure it was Muldoon

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Hagz wrote: »
    That forward pass was farcical.

It was dropped forward on the ground just minutes before that.

• Advertisement

Deserved try, woeful fringe defence from Ulster

Advertisement