Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

agri diesel in my oil burner

Options
  • 18-09-2013 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

can i use agri (green diesel) in my kerosene oil burner..

no i am not mad for anyone that tinks i am but my uncle has got a old metal tank of green diesel.. could be well over 5 yrs old and instead of wasting it or driving my car around on it for the next few months i want to know can i burn it in my oil burner,. :pac:

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

What oil burner and boiler ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

5 years old, it will probably be muck. Due to the FAME in the fuel, which is hygroscopic (attracts water & produces glycerine), it will not be suitable to burn. It will just soot the boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭deckycoop

its means to be ok tho. tractors have bein ran on it in the last few months.. we filled up our tractors for silage from it... but could i use green diesel instead of kerosene

If its good it could be used, but as said earlier it depends on make and model of burner and boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

And it wouldn't be as simple as changing the fuel source. All the burner settings have to be changed. That's if the fuel was ok if course and the burner/boiler suited

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

deckycoop wrote: »
    can i use agri (green diesel) in my kerosene oil burner..

no i am not mad for anyone that tinks i am but my uncle has got a old metal tank of green diesel.. could be well over 5 yrs old and instead of wasting it or driving my car around on it for the next few months i want to know can i burn it in my oil burner,. :pac:

thanks in advance.

Different nozzle, air and oil settings. Get service eng to ajust it to manafactures settings. No problem on most oil boilers but not on condensing boilers.

Done a simular job for a client last year, oil was 14 years old and not a problem. Its still working on the same tank fill as they also have a stove.

I didn't expect it to work but had no problem.

Little more to it that that!

Little more to it that that!

Sorry ??

I'm a FULL TIME oil boiler service eng. doing over 1000 boilers a year for the last 17 years.
    P&H + gas and oil servicing before that for 5 years. Self employed 22 years .

I do know a bit about oil boilers at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

scudo2 wrote: »
    Sorry ??

I'm a FULL TIME oil boiler service eng. doing over 1000 boilers a year for the last 17 years.

It can be run on green diesel, the pressure setting on the pump needs to be changed with a pressure gauge

Sorry ??

Then i would have thought you would be a little more professional and not simply jump to give advice without knowing a make and model nor argue the toss with a fellow professional on an open forum.

Would you also allow the OP to use the boiler if it had a LLF ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭jimf

I think we need to say no until the simple question about make and model is answered

Then i would have thought you would be a little more professional and not simply jump to give advice without knowing a make and model nor argue the toss with a fellow professional on an open forum.

Would you also allow the OP to use the boiler if it had a LLF ?

I reomended that he get service eng. I told him settings had to be changed. I told him of my own experence with 14 year old fuel, which I personaly didn't expect to work, but did.
    I recomended service eng so he ( the eng.) could decide about boiler & flue & safety.

I didn't do wrong in my reply.

Hope you also didn't mean any offence with yours, but it was a bit short and cutting. ( The first one.)

Hope I didn't offend you to much but I do have a bit of experence with oil at this stage. And still get suprises like the above job I mentioned.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    And it wouldn't be as simple as changing the fuel source. All the burner settings have to be changed. That's if the fuel was ok if course and the burner/boiler suited

You're back!!!
    Think I preferred the old Dtp though, lol

:-)

shane0007 wrote: »
    You're back!!!

seems to have aged a bit :P

Unless something magical has happened & the chemical properties of B7 has been re-invented, 5 year old Class D will not be suitable to burn.

I don't want to be accused of getting over technical but Class D contains 7% biofuel. This produces FAME. For every 1,000 litres of biofuel, it will produce 1% glycerine, a fairly harmless biodegradable by-product. This eats rubber, silicone, etc. If drained, it produced again & again so unused Class D, will contain a lot of glycerine over 5 years.

Secondly, as Billy correctly stated, Class D cannot be terminated at low level, i.e. below 2m.

Thirdly, it is against the law to use Green tractor diesel as home heating oil.

So, my answer is no, it is not suitable for use.

jimf wrote: »
    seems to have aged a bit :P

Still same age, he's just under disguise, incognito sort of speak....

Unless something magical has happened & the chemical properties of B7 has been re-invented, 5 year old Class D will not be suitable to burn.

I don't want to be accused of getting over technical but Class D contains 7% biofuel. This produces FAME. For every 1,000 litres of biofuel, it will produce 1% glycerine, a fairly harmless biodegradable by-product. This eats rubber, silicone, etc. If drained, it produced again & again so unused Class D, will contain a lot of glycerine over 5 years.

Secondly, as Billy correctly stated, Class D cannot be terminated at low level, i.e. below 2m.

Thirdly, it is against the law to use Green tractor diesel as home heating oil.

So, my answer is no, it is not suitable for use.

How can you tell the difference between the green home heating diesel that we get here and the green off road tractor diesel.?

As for oil going off, I didn't expect to get the job I done on 14 year old green diesel working but I did. To my own suprises I might also say.

My previous post covers the details on LL flue.

How can you tell the difference between the green home heating diesel that we get here and the green off road tractor diesel.?

As for oil going off, I didn't expect to get the job I done on 14 year old green diesel working but I did. To my own suprises I might also say.

My previous post covers the details on LL flue.

I wonder if your boiler repair of last year will require a service this year ?

The 2 fuels are the same.

The two fuels are indeed the same but they are sold with different tax rates.

What is the safe answer? Advise the OP that you have done so with no issue that you know of with 14 year old diesel or as I advised?
    Which is the safer advice?
    What is the worst case scenario based on the two differing advisory posts?

The OP, is a farmer. I wonder does the OP know of cases, personal or other farmers, where they have had difficulty with there machinery at the start of the new season after being left idle for a period of time since last season? Could it possibly be from FAME?

The two fuels are indeed the same but they are sold with different tax rates.

What is the safe answer? Advise the OP that you have done so with no issue that you know of with 14 year old diesel or as I advised?
    Which is the safer advice?
    What is the worst case scenario based on the two differing advisory posts?

The OP, is a farmer. I wonder does the OP know of cases, personal or other farmers, where they have had difficulty with there machinery at the start of the new season after being left idle for a period of time since last season? Could it possibly be from FAME?

Please belive me I'm not out to start a stupit boards fight.
    Just said I got old oil to burn cleanly. After a lot of work and different nozzles + settings.
    I just thought ye all would find that intresting rather than it turning out as it did in this tread.!!

Wrongly thought ye would find that intresting espically as it in theory it should not have worked. And still is working. Hated to see a tank of fuel wasted and was cuerious to see if I could get it working.

Myself and the customer did not know if it would keep going but it has. Don't blame me for just telling this story.

• Advertisement

You're back!!!

Oh I'm back alright!!! Seems you can't re-open an account after a friends closes it as a joke. Just waiting on tony to open the doors back into another forum now!!

Please belive me I'm not out to start a stupit boards fight.
    Just said I got old oil to burn cleanly. After a lot of work and different nozzles + settings.
    I just thought ye all would find that intresting rather than it turning out as it did in this tread.!!

Wrongly thought ye would find that intresting espically as it in theory it should not have worked. And still is working. Hated to see a tank of fuel wasted and was cuerious to see if I could get it working.

Myself and the customer did not know if it would keep going but it has. Don't blame me for just telling this story.

Thanks to all of you for your for your private support by PM's

I totaly agree with ye. Thanks again as it has improved my opinion of ye few. You know what I also think.!!
    Cheers again.
    MD

WTF?

If you need some counselling, I'm sure I could look up a number for you....
    Are you not taking an argument on Boards a wee bit too seriously? Do we now have to be very careful with the words we chose if we disagree with you so as to not upset you. If so, I would re-assess your outlook on life for there there are far more upsetting things in our lives than people disagreeing with you on Boards to the point when you feel the need to come back with statements like that.

I'm not upset, I'm actually a very happy person and quite content with life and boards.ie

I was just suprised with the replys by PM's from others who felt they couldn't reply openly.

I can hold my own and quite willing to listen to any advice. But not all advice is correct.

If we all went by the book and advice then Christopher Columbus would have stayed in Spain, Dolly the sheep would have had no close relatives, the Wright brothers would have stuck to bicycles.
    And that poor bloke last Sunday on boards.ie would never turned off his oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭oikster

So could you explain or one of the persons whom PM'd you explain how you were slated on this thread?
    All that was said was there is more to the advice you were giving. More criteria affects the burning of Class D than there is to burning C2. You never mentioned those in your posts only to say you set up 14 year old Class D for a client. Myself & a couple of others disagreed with you & now accusations & handbag dancing arises!

What you must remember on a public forum is untrained people read this. More importantly they try these things. If they are aware of the regs, the implications, the safety criteria required, they just might call a responsible competent person to do so.

You are a long standing member of OFTEC. Contact them & put the same question to them. I wonder what the answer would be! By being a member of OFTEC, you are not just saying you will pay your subs every year. You are saying you will abide by their standards which are above & beyond current Building Regs in many cases.

As I asked you before, which is safer, especially when you cannot see the situation remotely? But instead you elect to get a little dig in on a totally unrelated post that has now being diverted away from the OP's question.

Nice. Hmmmm.....

I can see that you are clearly referring to my post here with the reference to
    "slated". Just to let you know that I have not had any kind of contact with the OP and anything I may have to say to you will be in full view of everyone.

Well you did make the accusation so all I am asking is for you to expand on that accusation. You are the only person that used the word "slated", so please quote the posts where you feel Scudo was apparently slated in your opinion.

Well I feel fairly annoyed with some of the responces I've got.

Its not what I expected when I was so delighted to discover the P&H section on Boards.ie

Thanks again for PM's + fair support.

Now I understand what you mean. Ta

in fairness I think this post is way past its sell by date the poor poster must be wondering what in the name of jaysus he started

in fairness I think this post is way past its sell by date the poor poster must be wondering what in the name of jaysus he started

I'm still tryin to figure out what's goin on!

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I'm still tryin to figure out what's goin on!

That Shane again!! slating peeps :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

Must be the boss white or the glue or sometin, you don't see the sparks guys haven a pop at each other all the time.

Don't get me wrong I love this stitt too, I just don't agree with slanderous posts.

• Advertisement

Belive it or not. I totaly agree.

Pity a lot of good treads go this way.

I wish it were different. Sometimes we will differ but no big deal if were understanding . I've apologised for my mistakes in the past if I've got it wrong.

Others should also be more understanding.

Why are some people intimudated here???

lets leave it at that .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement