Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

On release day I paid 28 for Crysis 3, 40 euro for Saints Row 4, 6 euro for Blood Dragon, 26 for Far Cry 3, etc, etc.

I've seen lots of nice prices but those are very good. Where are you getting these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

retailers will charge as much as what the market will pay, that's how business works. and they know that with the AAA titles they can charge €60 because people will still play it.
    I'll never buy a game til it's at least 3-4 months old, so I get to see all the reviews and rarely get stuck with a bad game, and rarely pay more than €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

buy 2 copies of gta4 in xtravision for 5 quid each trade them in with 10 quid to gamestop and get gta v for 20 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Games can be truly magnificent value for money and also be total wastes of money.

Spending 30 quid on football manager and getting 200 hours out of it. Brilliant value.
    60 quid on fifa and getting similar amounts throughout the year. Hours upon hours.
    60 quid on GTAV. I've already spent nearly 40 hours playing it. It's already proved value for money.

Similarly I've spent 60 quid on games I played for 3 or 4 hours and then never again. That's a waste of money and we've all been there but the point is to only buy games you know yourself you have a good chance of enjoying. Only take gambles and punts on cheap stuff like in the steam sale. Don't pay full price on a gamble. I also think people are too critical. To be honest, I haven't been disgusted with paying full price for a game in a long, long time because I tend to buy stuff I know I'll like. My last three purchases are GTAV, Rome 2, and the Last of us. I knew what I was getting going in to a large degree.

Shop around too. I got Bioshock Infinite on release day for 27 euro. Phenomenal value.

Consider that it costs over a tenner for a cinema ticket and that only lasts two hours. You spend a tenner on a pack of cigarettes and you only get a couple hours use out of them. A pint is nearly a fiver and its gone in a few minutes. :P

Personally, I think gaming is a medium of great value. Much more so than the music or film industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

GTAV costs the retailer around €44 from looking at the price list I was sent you might get it cheaper at a big store with huge buying power but for most small stores buying 100 units that's the cost. Add on the 21% vat and that is about €53 cost to them. Then you have staff, rent, rates, insurance, esb etc etc to pay out of the €7 but after all that the rest is clear profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Kirby wrote: »
    Games can be truly magnificent value for money and also be total wastes of money.

Spending 30 quid on football manager and getting 200 hours out of it. Brilliant value.
    60 quid on fifa and getting similar amounts throughout the year. Hours upon hours.
    60 quid on GTAV. I've already spent nearly 40 hours playing it. It's already proved value for money.

Similarly I've spent 60 quid on games I played for 3 or 4 hours and then never again. That's a waste of money and we've all been there but the point is to only buy games you know yourself you have a good chance of enjoying. Only take gambles and punts on cheap stuff like in the steam sale. Don't pay full price on a gamble. I also think people are too critical. To be honest, I haven't been disgusted with paying full price for a game in a long, long time because I tend to buy stuff I know I'll like. My last three purchases are GTAV, Rome 2, and the Last of us. I knew what I was getting going in to a large degree.

Shop around too. I got Bioshock Infinite on release day for 27 euro. Phenomenal value.

Consider that it costs over a tenner for a cinema ticket and that only lasts two hours. You spend a tenner on a pack of cigarettes and you only get a couple hours use out of them. A pint is nearly a fiver and its gone in a few minutes. :P

Personally, I think gaming is a medium of great value. Much more so than the music or film industry.

Agree completely, anything that you play for months is well worth the money. I'll often go back and play games again, I bought Uncharted 2 on launch day, only replayed it there a few weeks ago, what 4 years after release? and I've played it numerous times in the time I've owned it.

is GTAV expensive? yes, but it's all relative, I didn't go out the weekend before it's launch, so whatever I would have spent on a night out, let's say 50 bucks for arguments sake, went on the game instead. that will get me weeks if not months of a game compared to a few hours on the beer and a hangover, money more well spent :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Im absolutely ragen as I wasn't able to pick up GTA 5 today and the only reason why I couldn't was the price. New titles these days are €60 and up, which is madness, especially when you take into account that you have paid €300 for the console and are paying a yearly subscription to use "online features" to which your paying a broadband bill for €50 a month..... I mean seriously, how these companies expect an unemployed secondary school student like me to afford this. I have sit here and look at others tweet and facebook about how great the game is, who have parents willing to fork out mad sums of money for all of these top titles such as Battlefield, Fifa and Call of Duty, when I have to choose between them.
    I really feel like these selfish industries such lower their prices.

GTA 5 was €42 on Amazon
    PSN is free
    My UPC broadband is €30 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm unemployed. Just wait until it's cheap if you don't have the money. You don't have to play everything on release.

My approach too. Only games I've bought at full price in last 3 years were Skyrim and Infinite. If you get all the big releases when they come out, you end up with nothing new to play, and end paying top dollar for games all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Agricola wrote: »
    Sell your console, games and any bits to do with it. Use monies to fund a gaming PC. Get Steam* and enjoy great games, with better visuals for way less money. Feel smug.

*Other digital distribution clients offering equally competitive pricing are available!

How will this help him to play GTA V?

Beefy78 wrote: »
    How will this help him to play GTA V?

It also won't do much for him if he is low on cash right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

C14N wrote: »
    New release prices are often pretty high but I really don't think that's a "these days" kind of thing. Back when the Gamecube came out I remember seeing games for €70 and that's not taking inflation into account.

I think if you aren't bothered about getting it on release day, prices are actually very fair. Wait just a few months and most games drop to under €30.

What is everyone on about - I had a gamecube and don't remember anything near 70

IIRC the sega games were around 20

playstation 1 were around 40 then went to 50 and then came back down again

N64 stayed around 50 mark but wow were they value

As far as prices go - some of the resale values are hilarious - 50e for a game 3 years old from xtr. and games. and the best one is from tes.os who seem to increase the old fifas hoping to confuse parents in to buying it - like how could a 4 year old out of date game be 50e?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

MOC88 wrote: »
    What is everyone on about - I had a gamecube and don't remember anything near 70

IIRC the sega games were around 20

playstation 1 were around 40 then went to 50 and then came back down again

N64 stayed around 50 mark but wow were they value

As far as prices go - some of the resale values are hilarious - 50e for a game 3 years old from xtr. and games. and the best one is from tes.os who seem to increase the old fifas hoping to confuse parents in to buying it - like how could a 4 year old out of date game be 50e?

New Games are far too over priced, the only time I remember games reaching an all time high of 70 euro was when the Xbox 360 and PS 3 were released.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Varik

New Games are far too over priced, the only time I remember games reaching an all time high of 70 euro was when the Xbox 360 and PS 3 were released.

And even then the first party PS3 games were €55, which is around or less than what shops are looking for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Treasure Island Dizzy was considerably more than £2.99 upon release. It took a few months if not longer for them to drop to that price and I'm fairly certain that I have a copy of it somewhere with a £14.99 price sticker on it. Must have a look in the attic next time I'm home as there's quite a few gems boxed away and I'll take any excuse to go and spend an afternoon playing Flimbo's Quest.

Could that have been a bigger compilation of games?

The Bible

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

The Dizzy Games were always in the budget price bracket (£2.99ish) even when new. The first full price Dizzy game I can remember was Up the Rapids but I think that was bundled with another Dizzy spin-off game which may explain the higher price.

That's the UK I'm talking about anyway - but I doubt it was more expensive in Ireland.

I live somewhere I can't even buy a real disk.. I'd have to fly for about two hours so buy an original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Games were 70 Euro on the original Xbox release (GAME were actually charging 80). I remember when they eventually dropped to the 60 euro mark and I though "Wow, what a bargain"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

I just bought Fifa 14 on pc for €20 off nuuvem :) can't believe how much of a rip off the console versions are

MOC88 wrote: »

Sorry, should have been clearer. I just meant at launch, they went down soon enough but new games were still generally €55-60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Thinking about it i got my 360 just after xmess 06 and my good the games where so dear for it

I piad 75 euros for spider man 3
    70 for forza 2
    Then xmess 07 Ass Cread 1 was 70 euros
    Also 70 for bioshock when i think about it games where crazy dear in 2007

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

had a huge rant but instead: If you were paying anything over 55-60 for Gamecube/Ps2 you were getting robbed blind. Same with Xbox360/PS3 games at launcha nd in certain shops, I mean Hitman blood money was close to €80:eek: in Gamestop at launch but €60 in Smyths down the road.

Taking games you may have paid silly prices for as examples means very little, heck Tesco have this on the shelves right now:

578497_10151102104643015_1806103993_n_zpsbd1238df.jpg

Thats a photo from a while ago, but I've been meaning to get a newspaper shot for the date because its furking hilarious. One or two have sold too :eek:

EDIT: xbox360 and Ps3 games did push the price up into the high 60s even 70s though so yeah that much is true. Think the most I've ever paid was €70 for Forza 2 maybe? I can't remember.

Danonino. wrote: »
    had a huge rant but instead: If you were paying anything over 55-60 for Gamecube/Ps2 you were getting robbed blind. Same with Xbox360/PS3 games at launcha nd in certain shops, I mean Hitman blood money was close to €80:eek: in Gamestop at launch but €60 in Smyths down the road.

Taking games you may have paid silly prices for as examples means very little, heck Tesco have this on the shelves right now:

*picture*

Thats a photo from a while ago, but I've been meaning to get a newspaper shot for the date because its furking hilarious. One or two have sold too :eek:

Why does that photo mean any more then? Clearly anyone stupid enough to buy that is being robbed blind and it's a silly price but these days you have so many other places to go that you never need to pay that. Those prices do exist, nobody is arguing with that but nobody has to actually pay that much to get the game, unlike before.

Even that copy of Driver San Francisco is a robbery when you compare it to prices online.

Back when I saw prices like that on Gamecube, there was pretty much Smyths, Game and Gamestop for games and they were all pretty expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Danonino. wrote: »

578497_10151102104643015_1806103993_n_zpsbd1238df.jpg

EDIT: xbox360 and Ps3 games did push the price up into the high 60s even 70s though so yeah that much is true. Think the most I've ever paid was €70 for Forza 2 maybe? I can't remember.

The picture is what I was on about certain retailers trying to confuse people buying gifts in to buying the wrong game - in someones head why would a 5 year old game be so expensive so they end up getting the wrong one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

C14N wrote: »
    Why does that photo mean any more then? Clearly anyone stupid enough to buy that is being robbed blind and it's a silly price but these days you have so many other places to go that you never need to pay that. Those prices do exist, nobody is arguing with that but nobody has to actually pay that much to get the game, unlike before.

Even that copy of Driver San Francisco is a robbery when you compare it to prices online.

Back when I saw prices like that on Gamecube, there was pretty much Smyths, Game and Gamestop for games and they were all pretty expensive.

I worked in Smyths (software manager) from The Gamecubes release until the Wii and I very rarely seen a game for the Cube at €70. Maybe at a stretch Fifa might have been 65 max and bundles like ViceCity/GTA3 on the xbox were more expensive but as a standard price point nah. Halo and some Ps2 games released at 65 but a the free loyalty card knocked 10% off that too. Paying €69.99 for a game it was either a huge release or you were buying the day of release and not shopping around.

Gamestop (which I also worked in) and especially Game were always a little hit an miss with some prices tho, for some reason I remember (probably wrongly) Super Mario Sunshine being 69.99 there but not for long and in Smyths it was €59.99 :) But as far as I remember €69.99 prices really only started appearing when the 360 launched.
    King Kong on the PS2/xbox was €59.99 for example but on the 360 it was €75 or something just as stupid :pac:

edit: Game (the shop) were always nuts on prices in my opinion, but if people pay them then they will price them as high as possible.
    ha ha I still have receipts :D RES4 release day was €59.99 in gamestop, Hitman Bloodmoney on the 360 €69.99 (I thought that was more to be honest)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd say the average PC game I've got has cost a euro. I do not miss the console prices :|

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Im absolutely ragen as I wasn't able to pick up GTA 5 today and the only reason why I couldn't was the price. New titles these days are €60 and up, which is madness, especially when you take into account that my parents have paid €300 for the console and are paying a yearly subscription to use "online features" to which my parents are paying a broadband bill for €50 a month..... I mean seriously, how these companies expect an unemployed secondary school student like me to afford this. I have sit here and look at others tweet and facebook about how great the game is, who have parents willing to fork out mad sums of money for all of these top titles such as Battlefield, Fifa and Call of Duty, when I have to choose between them.
    I really feel like these selfish industries such lower their prices.

FYP.

Also you say how you are unemployed and then say how some people's parents are forking out for games for them. Do you magic money out of thin air or are you given it by your parents and as presents? Just because they don't fork out at release date doesn't mean they haven't given you money previously which you could have saved when you know well in advance the release date.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd say the average PC game I've got has cost a euro. I do not miss the console prices :|
    PC gamers should never pay full price. I only recently made the mistake of paying full price for Euro truck simulator 2. If I'd only waited a week I'd have got it for half price and that seems to be a reoccuring thing, just wait, it'll be on special offer within the month, impatience got the better of me. I did get tomb raider for a tenner last night though.

I don't know why people would priate PC games these days, they're so cheap it's as handy to buy the official version, especially when it's linked to steam. I've only tried to priate two games and it was such a hassle I eventually ended up buying the games just so I could play them properly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

PC games publishers realised that to counteract piracy you just make buying it legitimately easier and cheap. If you're not rushing to buy brand new releases, then you're gonna find a lot of new games on sale for about half price a couple of months after release (for example this year I paid €15 for Tomb Raider and €7 for Hitman Absolution).

The RRP of console games is around the €65 - €70 mark and it's second hand sales that have been subsidising the costs for years where people now think that €50 is the most you should pay. Pat from Gamesnash has spoken about this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Shiminay wrote: »
    The RRP of console games is around the €65 - €70 mark and it's second hand sales that have been subsidising the costs for years where people now think that €50 is the most you should pay. Pat from Gamesnash has spoken about this before.
    I wonder what kind of cut do Sony and Microsoft get out of their license on each game? Is that what's driving up the console costs or is it just a case of people willing to pay more?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Shiminay wrote: »
    PC games publishers realised that to counteract piracy you just make buying it legitimately easier and cheap. If you're not rushing to buy brand new releases, then you're gonna find a lot of new games on sale for about half price a couple of months after release (for example this year I paid €15 for Tomb Raider and €7 for Hitman Absolution).

Glad somebody was listening :D

Advertisement