Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Is your comp this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Is your comp this weekend?

Next Saturday.

Wouldn't have been training last night if I was on this weekend :)

Next Saturday.

Wouldn't have been training last night if I was on this weekend :)

What kind of numbers are you hoping for? Best case scenarios

What kind of numbers are you hoping for? Best case scenarios

I don't know. I could throw out numbers but I don't know how my hip will affect me physically or mentally. 180 squat felt heavier than it should during the week and that threw me.

But hopeful of a 110 bench and a total around 500-515.

But an ideal world:
    165/177.5/?
    97.5/105/?
    190/207.5/?

Saturday 13/10/2018

A) Deadlift
    180kg x 1
    190kg x 1
    200kg x 1
    180kg x 2, 2, 2

B) RDL
    175kg x 3 @8

C) Seated Row
    3 x 6

Nice but not too taxing.

Was gonna go to 18 on RDLs but decided to stay on the safe side of RPE rather than risk screwing myself over.

Nothing left but a couple of deload sessions working up to last warm up.

• Advertisement

I don't know. I could throw out numbers but I don't know how my hip will affect me physically or mentally. 180 squat felt heavier than it should during the week and that threw me.

But hopeful of a 110 bench and a total around 500-515.

But an ideal world:
    165/177.5/?
    97.5/105/?
    190/207.5/?

It’s good to dream

Monday 15/10/2018

A) Squat
    165kg x 1

B) Bench
    97.5kg x 1

C) Deadlift
    180kg x 1

Racks were all in use when i went in but as luck would have it, one of the lads competing at the weekend grabbed a rack and I worked in. Which was good for me cos it helped me get more times into the comp (but the craic as well).

Openers on squat and bench and last warm up on deadlift. All moved well.

180 deadlift moved faster than it has in ages. Just moved like it should but just felt as good as it should for first time in a while.

So the doctor is sufficiently discombobulated by the hip pain that an MRI is scheduled. Possibly bursitis but there isn't tenderness where there should be.

But he never explicitly said not to do the meet so it'd be rude not to.

Wednesday 17/10/2018

A) Squat
    150kg x 1

B) Bench
    90kg x 1

Weird one. Hip was at me all day. Thought I'd properly banjoed it at one stage earlier but started doing tentative  bodyweight squats at home and no pain to report. Bit of something in the hole but nothing to report. Was fine in the gym...once there was no pain during the squats, the problem was a mental one...but I got my head around it.

Bench was nice and light.

And that's a wrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Bit of something in the hole

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    Bit of something in the hole

:D

Dinner was toad in the hole, you filthy ragamuffin but I don't recognise the toad species.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Best of luck tomorrow! :)

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow! :)

Thanks chief. Wont get to see you destroy your PRs on Sunday so good luck to...well, you don't need it so good luck to your spotters :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Good luck guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

Best of luck today!

Best of luck Alf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Look in your heart
    Believe in yourself
    Do the flying V
    Hakuna Matata!
    What a wonderful phrase
    Hakuna Matata!
    Ain't no passing craze
    It means no worries
    For the rest of your days
    It's our problem-free philosophy
    Hakuna Matata!
    Why, when he was a young warthog
    When I was a young wart-hoooog!
    Very nice!
    Thanks!
    He found his aroma lacked a certain appeal
    He could clear the Savannah after every meal
    I'm a sensitive soul, though I seem thick-skinned
    And it hurt that my friends never stood downwind
    And oh, the shame
    (He was ashamed!)
    Thought of changin' my name
    (Oh, what's in a name?)
    And I got downhearted
    (How did you feel?)
    Every time that I-
    Pumbaa! Not in front of the kids!
    Oh... sorry
    Hakuna Matata!
    What a wonderful phrase
    Hakuna Matata!
    Ain't no passing craze
    It means no worries
    Yeah, sing it, kid!
    Hakuna Matata!
    Hakuna Matata
    Hakuna Matata
    Hakuna Matata
    Hakuna
    It means no worries
    Hakuna Matata

What I'm trying to say is good luck

Saturday 20/10/2018

Training had been really good but this hip issue threw me, mentally, these last few weeks so wasn't as confident as I could have been coming into it.

I need to be more cognisant of the fact that I drop weight in the deload with the reduced training. Thought I'd offset that this week but seemingly not.

Squat

Warmed up fine but then the last warm up felt heavier than I'd have liked. Confidence wasn't flying on the 165kg opener. But it moved well so I put on 177.5kg for second like I'd planned. It moved well I was thinking 182.5 or 185 for third. But 1-2 on depth so just went with the same again to lock in the comp PR.

Partly disappointed to not have gone 180+ but all things considered, I'm ok with what I came away with.

Bench

Like an episode of 'Carry On Benching'. I'd warmed up on ER rack which must have been slightly different to the one used and rack height of 14 was way too high. Not even close to getting scaps locked. Long pause as well but while it made 97.5 a bit slower, it was grand. Dropped rack height to 12 but it turned out to be just borderline but 105 moved well enough. Right was cheek lifted a touch but 2-1

Called 107.5 for third. Was going to go back and call 110 but there was a touch of doubt on the second lift so I said I'd be more sensible with total in mind.

Dropped rack height to 10. And then 107.5 flew better than 97.5. Legit moved at least as fast. Got off the bench, saw three whites and cursed not calling 110. But happy that 107.5 moved quickly and beautifully for a 5kg comp PR.

Sub-total: 285kg

Deadlift

Opened on 190. I tend to just ease into it on deadlift so 190 was grand. Flew up. Got cocky on the second (207.5) and made it a bit sloppy but it was grand. Called 215 to lock in the 500kg total.

Yep.

Mixed bag. Comp PRs on squat and bench but know I had more there on both. Not a huge amount on squat - maybe 5kg - but I don't like leaving kgs on the platform.

But at the end of the day, it's still comp PRs on squat, bench and total so there's that.

Also, enjoyed watching the stronger flight and cheering on a couple of lads that train the same gym.

Only lift I got a video of - 3rd squat:

Good job well done

Just in case it happens in the future, we have eleiko and ER racks in the gym, ER is generally 2-3 higher for everyone. For squat I go 16 on eleiko and 18 on ER while for Bench it’s 11/14.

Congrats on the PRs and hitting 500!

• Advertisement

Just in case it happens in the future, we have eleiko and ER racks in the gym, ER is generally 2-3 higher for everyone. For squat I go 16 on eleiko and 18 on ER while for Bench it’s 11/14.

Congrats on the PRs and hitting 500!

Good to know. Was glad of the lift off on that first bench. Thought 2 would do it but 10 was the best. Erring on the lower side a bit safer if getting a lift off.

But I got there by the 3rd lift :)

Out of curiosity, How come you didn’t go heavier on the deadlift? You prob have 230 in you on a good day?

Out of curiosity, How come you didn’t go heavier on the deadlift? You prob have 230 in you on a good day?

I didn't have 230 in me today :)

Also, being complacent on 2nd left made me sloppy and took more out of me than I'd like going into last. What you can do in the gym on a normal day where you're just deadlifting is very different to a comp where you're fatigued towards the end.

220 was probably what I could have done if I hadn't f**ked up on the 2nd.

Out of curiosity, how long was it from your first squat to your last deadlift roughly? With 3 flights it must have been really drawn out.

Out of curiosity, how long was it from your first squat to your last deadlift roughly? With 3 flights it must have been really drawn out.

I think the first squat was about 11.50am and last deadlift was maybe 6.20pm.

You know yourself, it's not the norm. Usually be done and dusted in 4 hours, depending in the flights etc but certainly not that long but it made sense to allow people the chance to qualify for Nationals.

All set for tomorrow?

I think the first squat was about 11.50am and last deadlift was maybe 6.20pm.

You know yourself, it's not the norm. Usually be done and dusted in 4 hours, depending in the flights etc but certainly not that long but it made sense to allow people the chance to qualify for Nationals.

All set for tomorrow?

Yeah, trainings gone pretty well and body feeling good now. Pretty confident of PBs on squat and bench, less sure of deadlift since I’ve only gone to 250kg in training since May but it was pretty comfortable so hopefully one there as well.

Just focusing on sinking my first squat and I’ll take it from there :).

Good luck deano

Yeah, trainings gone pretty well and body feeling good now. Pretty confident of PBs on squat and bench, less sure of deadlift since I’ve only gone to 250kg in training since May but it was pretty comfortable so hopefully one there as well.

Just focusing on sinking my first squat and I’ll take it from there :).

Something tells me your deadlift will be grand. I get that hitting a PR in training gives the extra bit of confidence but nothing about how they've looked and, by the sounds of it, felt suggests it won't be a PR too.

Nothing like that first squat. My last warm up was shíte and then the first squat felt nice. Nothing like getting out on the platform.

As Khabib might say, you'll smesh it.

Good luck deano

• Advertisement

Monday 22/10/2018

A) C2
    8 rounds: 250m row; 60s rests
    < 50s /250m

B1) NG Pull Ups
    5 x 8

B2) DB Flys
    10kg x 5 x 12

C1) Seated Row
    5 x 12

C2) Chest Press
    5 x 10

D1) Curls
    10kg x 5 x 10

D2) Tricep Pressdown
    5 x 10

Just went in to stay loose and well, I kinda just enjoy training/working out.

Good to get some cardio in as well.

Advertisement