Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cooking Disaster Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If the cup is very smooth you can get explosions of water in mircowaves. If there are imperfections it will allow bubbles to form at that point and so not explode. If you add a rough pebble to a cup of water that will give a area for bubbles to form.

It is most likely when the water has no gases in it too, if you boil water and let it cool and then microwave it then it is likely to explode. Fresh water put into a microwave and boiled on full power is much less likely to explode, people reheating cold coffee can see explosions. When you add sugar it suddenly has loads of rough areas for bubbles to form, same as if you stick a spoon into it.

To warm a plate just put a bit of water on it and pop it in the microwave, some people heat up a full kettle just to heat a plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, it's even possible to superheat water in a microwave, i.e. heat it to above 100 celsius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Alun wrote: »
    It's warned about in some microwave manuals actually. .

I'm a bit of a manuals-in-the-bin-with-the-packaging person :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yes, it's even possible to superheat water in a microwave, i.e. heat it to above 100 celsius.

It's possible to melt glass in a microwave.

http://youtu.be/Jj2u2n_o7Cw

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It's possible to melt glass in a microwave.
    Only if you get it up to red heat with a blowtorch first though :D

• Advertisement

Only if you get it up to red heat with a blowtorch first though :D

Obviously. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Context: my pet rabbit has recently taken against his litter tray. A large proportion of my time recently has been taken up devising tricks to outwit him. Unfortunately my workmates are well aware of this ongoing battle of wills and the collection of unsuitable litter trays that I've thus built up...

The embarrassment: I was recently trying to describe the recipe for the Cooking Club's raspberry and pecan blondies, which are my failsafe whenever a work occasion calls for cake. I noticed at some point in the conversation that my workmates were looking a bit puzzled, but merrily continued talking, only to then walk away to speak to someone else and realise en route that I had repeatedly referred to a "lightly greased litter tray" rather than baking tray. No one will ever eat my cake again:o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I just broke the yolks on FOUR eggs, and couldn't use them. Four in a row! That's a new record for me. I'm going to make a ginormous batch of scones in a minute to use them up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Faith wrote: »
    I just broke the yolks on FOUR eggs, and couldn't use them. Four in a row! That's a new record for me. I'm going to make a ginormous batch of scones in a minute to use them up.

I get days like that. I either break none or I break lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

a few hours ago I took my nicely baked chocolate cake out of the oven, and dropped it into the sink...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

I destroyed a whole 6 pack of eggs like that a few weeks ago. Bought them in the butchers, they had extraordinarily thin shells so that when I use my normal half shell-to-half shell way of separation, they all just dissolved.

I meant to put dirty rice saucepan in full and soapy washing bowl yesterday, but instead put the wok with my stir fry dinner. While it was lemon flavoured washing up liquid, it just isn't tasty.
    Thank the Lord for Thai food delivery...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Almost chopped the tip of my finger off on Monday afternoon

Pics are linked, graphic.

Not for the squeamish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Almost chopped the tip of my finger off on Monday afternoon

Pics are linked, graphic.

Not for the squeamish

Oh mother of Jebus, why did I look at those.
    Hope it feels better soon!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Jaysus!

^^ Graphic content. Viewer discretion advised. ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Jaysus!

^^ Graphic content. Viewer discretion advised. ^^

Seriously, don't look at them if you are eating.

I was in me ma's and chopping some left over corned beef for a sambo.

I've been using paper stitches, bandages and steeping it in dettol since it happened, still reckon I'll lose the section I sliced.

There's no infection showing, but if one does appear I'll be straight to the doc of course.

Must be some kind of good luck that we got some moody Codeine just last week.

High as a kite baby :D

Jaysis! That's grim. You must've been chopping with some force to do that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I didn't look - even thinking about it makes me woozy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Good call. I looked and wish I hadn't. Twice.:o

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

That doesn't look as bad as I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

To be honest, the thoughts of a corned beef sandwich much worse than the pictures!
    Too many nights working in A&E have made me immune to bloody accidents.

Feel better soon though, Baldy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I made French Onion Soup the other night. Tasted like sweet and sour onion water. The worst, i threw it out and had an unsatisfying takeaway instead:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I made raspberry and lemon slices a few weeks ago. The recipe and pictures looked lovely, but when they were cooked they had the texture and consistency of baked cheesecake, which I despise. Gross. I was so disappointed. I spent so much time pressing all those raspberries through a sieve and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Oryx wrote: »
    The explosion stories remind me that really, I can't boil water. Not in a microwave anyway. Before it became common knowledge that it is dangerous, I boiled water in the mw to make coffee one day. Dropped a spoon of granules into the cup and boom! boiling water in a fountain all over me, the counter, everywhere.

MICROWAVED WATER IS DANGEROUS, KIDS! :)

The instructions on my Siemens microwave say that you should leave a metal spoon in the container of water. It seems to work too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

joolsveer wrote: »
    The instructions on my Siemens microwave say that you should leave a metal spoon in the container of water. It seems to work too.

No never put metal in the microwave.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

joolsveer wrote: »

Are you sure about that? You should never put metal in a microwave!

Faith wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? You should never put metal in a microwave!
    Absolutely, never put metal in a microwave. My ancient Miele microwave came with a glass rod about 4-5" long specifically for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Absolutely, never put metal in a microwave. My ancient Miele microwave came with a glass rod about 4-5" long specifically for that purpose.

It is a combination oven/microwave where you can leave the metal shelf in as well. The instructions say if you use a metal cake tin you must use a special mat between the tin and the metal shelf.

Interesting ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_oven#Metal_objects

Looks like the thickness of the metal, and also the lack of any 'pointy' parts is key here. You live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I use metal in microwaves all the time, if you don't know what happens with microwaves & metal then its safer just to stick to the old rule of never doing it.

I have had water explode with spoons in the cup. I have never heard that advice before, unless its a special metal spoon, e.g. one with roughened edges purposely designed to encourage the creation of bubbles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

My mum blind baked a pastry crust using beans. Then she forgot to remove the beans and poured the filling on top.

Another time she made tartiflette (a French dish with potatoes, onions and bacon topped with a reblochon cheese sliced in half lenghtway). Only she forgot to remove the disk of wood under the cheese.

The great thing with my mum's cooking is you never know what you might find in the dish

Advertisement