Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Red Line

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

I use this a few times a week - I work in City West and travel into town for meetings maybe once or twice per week on average. None of my other co-workers will use it, but I cycle to work so it's the only viable option to get in and out of town for me.

It really i turning into an unpleasant service. have to say I agree with Kurgan's rules above if you want to survive. I've used London Underground, the New York Subway, Paris Metro - the list goes on - and nowhere is as intimidating as this line is becoming. In fact, I always ensure I have headphones in - some scobe askes a question last week, I just ignore as if he's not there. Sad I know, but you've gotta look after number one! But having lived in Germany for a while and see how they deal with anti-social behaviour - goes something like this:

driver rings ahead at ye first sign of trouble;
    Tram stops at the enxt stop;
    Police unit of 3 or 4 pretty hefty guys with batons, Alsatian dogs and an Audi police car with it's door open are ready;
    Scobe is taken off in said Audi;
    Tram moves on;
    Everyone gets on with their day;

Last week, I had some nutter claim my phone was in fact his and he 'was going to come and get it' - I'm 6'2", weigh about 90kg and this little scobe is trying to take me on. I've seen people being robbed in broad daylight, phones and bags, as well as every low life possible - mostly junkies, who use this to access the city centre for gear and methadone. A group of lads got on and started intimidating some old man in his 70's - disgusting behaviour. Then proceeded to taunt the inspectors that they had no tickets, which the inspectors duly ignored. A fella sparked up a fag on packed luas last week and proceeded to contaminate the whole carriage - safe in the knowledge that nothing would be done, I mean the chances orf getting stabbed are pretty high for trying to intervenme.

Last week capped it off - some knacker got into a crowded Luas at about 3pm in the afternoon, carried on a full drug deal in front of every one via his mobile - he was onto the dealer, telling him how much cash he's collected (€1800 that day apparently), that some drugs he had to dump in a bin 'cos he nearly got carrying, and when he went back the wraps were gone, and that he looked after that "wan who's always in a bad way" with some gear around the back of Wynn's.

As for fair dodging, well Transdev police this line tightly and you are checked almost every time you use it. But it's a losing battle. Sometimes they'll just dump the scobe out at the next stop without even bothering with paperwork. Something has to be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Again, as I said in the other thread, the transport companies can do only so much. These people can be arrested, but in general are back out on the streets after a few hours.

Until the government starts to take the drug problem in our city/country seriously and puts the amount of money necessary to solve it in place and tackles the real problem - the dealers, this is just going to get worse and worse.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Again, as I said in the other thread, the transport companies can do only so much. These people can be arrested, but in general are back out on the streets after a few hours.

Until the government starts to take the drug problem in our city/country seriously and puts the amount of money necessary to solve it in place and tackles the real problem - the dealers, this is just going to get worse and worse.

Agree 100% that's where the problems lies. The drug problem and its associated anti-social consequences are getting out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Jaysus, a lot of really unlucky people on this thread!

I use the line regularly -- morning, evening and night (admittedly, only between Connolly and Smithfield/Museum) -- and I've never seen anything really serious. Spaced out semi-comatose junkies are common enough, to be sure, but I've rarely seen them act up.

My other half uses it every day, and reports a similar lack of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Jaysus, a lot of really unlucky people on this thread!

I use the line regularly -- morning, evening and night (admittedly, only between Connolly and Smithfield/Museum) -- and I've never seen anything really serious. Spaced out semi-comatose junkies are common enough, to be sure, but I've rarely seen them act up.

I used it for years without issue, this is the usual boards.ie thing of being terrified of people from council/corporation estates I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

drumswan wrote: »
    I used it for years without issue, this is the usual boards.ie thing of being terrified of people from council/corporation estates I imagine.

:confused: Did you miss the part where people relayed personal experiences?

I dont give a fuuck where people are from, I just dont like when they make life miserable for everyone else. Next you'll be telling us the poor junkies are disadvantaged and sure its not their fault, didnt they grow up without a field to kick a ball in.

I asked for the OPs personal experience, it wasnt forthcoming.

Junkies are mostly harmless and a fact of life in modern cities unfortunately. The lads on here would **** themselves if they had to walk around crackhead infested Vancouver or Toronto

Have you ever used any other public transport in another country? perhaps what you see as normal is what's not acceptable in other countries.

Rest assured there's no vendetta against people who live in council houses. The vast majority of people who do so are ordinary decent people. But my own observation is that we have huge social problems in this country that are being ignored. These are allow to fester and the 1% who are causing the issues are fcuking it up for the 99% who just want to get on with their jobs / social / college lives while travelling on this line.

Ive lived in several countries and seen similar issues, the meth addicted prostitutes plaguing the St Kilda line in Melbourne and the aggressive crackheads on Victoria, BC and Dartmouth, NS buses spring to mind. Greyhound in North America is notorious for violence on buses and shady passengers. The buses and trains in the South of France where my partner is from are full of disaffected and often violent North African youth.

The dozy tracksuited skagheads on the luas are like pussycats compared to some of these lads.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Note to posters: be respectful, even those you disagree with. And don't respond to personal attacks on thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

@drumswan not sure what your point is there ..just because Tighuana or where ever has "harder" scumbags on their transport system doesn't mean we should put up and shut up...that's just silly

Problems on the Luas is just a by -product of what's going on in the City Centre,it's a playground for the scum these days .
    I'm sure there's numerous threads on that so i'll end it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    I use this a few times a week - I work in City West and travel into town for meetings maybe once or twice per week on average. None of my other co-workers will use it, but I cycle to work so it's the only viable option to get in and out of town for me.

It really i turning into an unpleasant service. have to say I agree with Kurgan's rules above if you want to survive. I've used London Underground, the New York Subway, Paris Metro - the list goes on - and nowhere is as intimidating as this line is becoming. In fact, I always ensure I have headphones in - some scobe askes a question last week, I just ignore as if he's not there. Sad I know, but you've gotta look after number one! But having lived in Germany for a while and see how they deal with anti-social behaviour - goes something like this:

driver rings ahead at ye first sign of trouble;
    Tram stops at the enxt stop;
    Police unit of 3 or 4 pretty hefty guys with batons, Alsatian dogs and an Audi police car with it's door open are ready;
    Scobe is taken off in said Audi;
    Tram moves on;
    Everyone gets on with their day;

Last week, I had some nutter claim my phone was in fact his and he 'was going to come and get it' - I'm 6'2", weigh about 90kg and this little scobe is trying to take me on. I've seen people being robbed in broad daylight, phones and bags, as well as every low life possible - mostly junkies, who use this to access the city centre for gear and methadone. A group of lads got on and started intimidating some old man in his 70's - disgusting behaviour. Then proceeded to taunt the inspectors that they had no tickets, which the inspectors duly ignored. A fella sparked up a fag on packed luas last week and proceeded to contaminate the whole carriage - safe in the knowledge that nothing would be done, I mean the chances orf getting stabbed are pretty high for trying to intervenme.

Last week capped it off - some knacker got into a crowded Luas at about 3pm in the afternoon, carried on a full drug deal in front of every one via his mobile - he was onto the dealer, telling him how much cash he's collected (€1800 that day apparently), that some drugs he had to dump in a bin 'cos he nearly got carrying, and when he went back the wraps were gone, and that he looked after that "wan who's always in a bad way" with some gear around the back of Wynn's.

As for fair dodging, well Transdev police this line tightly and you are checked almost every time you use it. But it's a losing battle. Sometimes they'll just dump the scobe out at the next stop without even bothering with paperwork. Something has to be done about it.

Problem is Surveyor11,many people will see your post as fabricated scare mongering,and that it's NOWHERE near as bad as you post...

You're not actually being called a liar,but the inference appears to be that your experience is to be pooh-pooh'd as everybody else appears happy with the eclectic experience of the Red Line..
    Grolschevik: Jaysus, a lot of really unlucky people on this thread!

...Or you'll be told to man-up and not be a Boards wuss :eek:
    Drumswan: I used it for years without issue,this is the usual boards.ie thing of being terrified of people from council/corporation estates I imagine.

The issue is not the actual behaviour at all,because it's nothing new,having being a contributory factor in the continual reduction in Bus services to and within the Tallaght area over the years.

In The case of the Bus Service,the years of denial that any problem even existed,eventually led to the "ordinaries" deserting the Bus Service after evening peak,so we ended up with what today passes for a Public Bus service to one of the most populous areas of the State.

Doing nothing is,by all means,an option,but make no bones about it,it will lead to the Red Line eventually seeing the curtailments,cancellations and eventually the contraction of,what is a fantastic service,back to the "Safe Stations".

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

For anyone doubting the reports in this thread, a read of this article from a few days ago will put it into some perspective...

http://www.herald.ie/news/thug-terror-on-luas-red-line-at-record-high-29595512.html

KD345 wrote: »
    For anyone doubting the reports in this thread, a read of this article from a few days ago will put it into some perspective...

http://www.herald.ie/news/thug-terror-on-luas-red-line-at-record-high-29595512.html

103 Tram Windows.....WoW :eek: !

However,even allowing for the Paper never refusing ink argument, which will be applied here,these stats are not at all confidence inspiring. :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I asked for the OPs personal experience, it wasnt forthcoming.

Junkies are mostly harmless and a fact of life in modern cities unfortunately. The lads on here would **** themselves if they had to walk around crackhead infested Vancouver or Toronto

You're exaggerating just as much or more as the opposing side now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Never had any bother myself,use it from Jervis or Abbey out to Red Cow several times a week,and usually the last tram out of town on Friday and Saturday nights.

Seen addicts and drunks argue amongst themselves and 13/14 yo's give the ticket lads a bit of lip around the Fatima/Driminagh and James Hospital stops but nothing much worse really.I live in a rough enough area myself so maybe I'm just used to what some describe as trouble.

Only thing that really annoys me is when there's GAA on and it's hard to even get on a tram from Red Cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Genuine question, are different sections of the Red Line better or worse than others? It could be that some people only use city centre sections, and others use the Saggart extension, and the two could be entirely different worlds...

Aard wrote: »
    Genuine question, are different sections of the Red Line better or worse than others? It could be that some people only use city centre sections, and others use the Saggart extension, and the two could be entirely different worlds...

Probably the best way confirm/deny this is to observe the behaviour of other persons on the Trams...particularly outside peak-times.

Locations where the onboard temperature begins to fluctuate are Heuston-James Hospital-all stops to Bluebell. with serenity usually then prevailing as far as Belgard,where a shift-change of sorts often occurs.

Regular users do tend to become quite adept at placing themselves strategically to either avoid or reduce contact with these imbiciles,however the Transdev staff often do not have this luxury...My own thinking is that relieving these twits of Money at every opportunity is the only way which will focus whatever is left of their brainpower on their own behaviour.

On the spot fines...in cash..OR,if no cash to hand,then "that oul I-Phone,Galaxy or Soverign Ring collection will do just grand Sir,and here's your reciept....;)"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

lxflyer wrote: »
    Do you know of any tram system in the world that uses such measures?

I'm certainly not aware of any.

Some of the trams in Amsterdam have this theres also a person in a ticket booth right in front of the door of the tram when it opens so It's much more difficult to et on w/o a ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

AlekSmart wrote: »
    On the spot fines...in cash..OR,if no cash to hand,then "that oul I-Phone,Galaxy or Soverign Ring collection will do just grand Sir,and here's your reciept....;)"

All they'd do in that instance is nick another one off somebody 3 seats away like they did with the confiscated one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Just saw a large scale ticket check at museum there both on the platforms and on the tram. Good few people caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Just saw a large scale ticket check at museum there both on the platforms and on the tram. Good few people caught.
    They do the same whenever there is a report in the press about anti-social behaviour on the Luas, there will be security and checks for a few days then service will resume as it was! The horse has departed the barn but they will still try to nail the door shut.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    They do the same whenever there is a report in the press about anti-social behaviour on the Luas, there will be security and checks for a few days then service will resume as it was! The horse has departed the barn but they will still try to nail the door shut.

Have to say I disagree. I use the service say on average twice a week, in and out to the city. The majority of journeys I would say are checked, I've being using it for a year now. I don't notice any fluctuation up or down with press reports / joe duffy factor.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

foggy_lad wrote: »

Rather anecdotal, no? Unless you've a survey team monitoring the entire line throughout it's operating hours it seems practically impossible to state such things as fact.

And that, folks, is the crux of many issues on here. You might feel something is a certain way, but it does not make it so in reality. So let's put more thought into our words before we make sweeping statements. Taking a less "this is fact because I say it is" and more "I feel that" led approach to arguments might make things go smoother around here. This goes to both and neither sides of any debate.

Food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Have to say I disagree. I use the service say on average twice a week, in and out to the city. The majority of journeys I would say are checked, I've being using it for a year now. I don't notice any fluctuation up or down with press reports / joe duffy factor.

They check every day. The problem is who they check, and fine, v's who they don't check.
    Seen addicts and drunks argue amongst themselves and 13/14 yo's give the ticket lads a bit of lip around the Fatima/Driminagh and James Hospital stops but nothing much worse really.I live in a rough enough area myself so maybe I'm just used to what some describe as trouble.

So abusing people on public transport is fine:eek::confused: that's antisocial behaviour. Even worst when it's the staff being abuse and who do nothing, so the general public are even less inclined to use this peace of infrastructure that cost us loads to build and operate.

Advertisement