Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

What is the craic with wyattville road? Putting in two cycle lanes for what seems to feel like it's going on a year.

Drive past it everyday. You'll either see 1 lad with a shovel or nobody.

Some fool also thought it was a great idea to remove to slip roads going into Ballybrack from cherry wood way and the other from Tesco way up towards church road.

Traffic backed up Churchview road right up to Rochestown avenue.

Church road always backed up to the graduate.

It's a couple hundred metres of cycle lane. I know there's some logistics to it but Christ.

Joke

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Crash

As someone who cycles all the time around the area, there's a lot here that doesn't quite make sense.

• Bakers corner - how do I turn right in most of these systems without waiting 5 minutes for two sets of lights to go? I'd likely just stay mixed with traffic in that scenario.
    • 2 lane bike down Kill Ave - its great, though i'm wary of the yield / bus stop model they've got there. I've seen a few different iterations through the DLR area and this one seems destined for bad behavior by cyclists.
    • Glenageary road upper / Kill Ave junction - again, how do I turn? I'd most likely be turning up Oliver Plunkett, so I get there by crossing...3 lights at a busy junction?
    • Glenageary road upper - 2 lane bike lane, fantastic. Why the single direction lane on the opposite side of the road? why the bait and switch on side of the road? further up, is it just because they don't know what the hell to do with cycling and Sallynoggin roundabout?
    • Mounttown road upper/lower - people just get teleporters through the junction?
    • Mounttown road Upper - and a nice few kamikaze bike lanes to finish - ones that just truncate and dump you into the flow of traffic.

I really appreciate getting cycling infrastructure thats effective, but there's this weird continued mismash of separated to merged, and different models in between, and tbh it serves no one well - inexperienced cyclists get freaked out, experienced cyclists just end up staying in traffic lanes because tbh it's faster, easier, and you're less likely to get run over at merges, and drivers have to be on high lookout for strange merges, and unexpected actions due to inconsistent cycling experience. You shouldn't have to know the road intimately ahead of time to be able to use the infrastructure appropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

there’s road works. You can complain about the slip roads being gone till the roadworks are gone. And you can see what affect it’s had.

also I saw lots of water pipes seems to be water works under a cycle lane budget

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its a cycle lane under a waterworks budget in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What proportion of the budget do you reckon relates to the cycle lane?

• Advertisement

No more than 20% of BoQ anyway, maybe 15% overall.

The Council are doing a pre-design survey on a number of proposals for street closures, pedestrianisations and what not, in and around DL

So whether you believe or don't believe in the hames they are making of things around the town, now is yet another opportunity to articulate it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

I see that the proposed Deansgrange cycle path through the cemetery has been dropped. Instead it is to go on the road with a consequential removal of on-street parking.

I sense another row about to erupt!

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/dublin/2023/03/13/controversial-deansgrange-cemetery-cycle-plan-formally-dropped/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Deansgrange is a mess, but the Cemetary is already able to be cycled through, this would just have made it easier.

Waiting for them to get rid of the right turn to Clonkeen Road that is currently making the bus lane a disaster.

Councillor Dave Quinn (Social Democrats) said many people going to the cemetery visiting loved ones needed parking.

They're idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

This new proposal was voted and accepted by the councillors. What will inevitably happen is that people will park on the cycle lane as needed, even with the additional parking spaces inside the cemetery. Everyone's a winner, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Of course everyone's a winner, plus we have the bonus of roadworks for months to accommodate this work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I presume it will be well segregated similar to Blackrock >>Sandycove. However I am sure you will get the odd person who manages to get into it and possibly even drive in it. Windsor motors won't like it. They have had free parking for years across the road from their showroom. The road also looks very narrow from the start of the cemetery at the Deansgrange end to the first gate near Blackrock Glass. I cant see how they can fit a 2 way cycle lane in there unless they remove the parking for the cottages opposite (unlikely) or make the footpath narrower (much more likely)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Between the associated roadworks, the width of the road and the volume of traffic, its going to get very congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

They could help alleviate the bus lane problem by simply moving the bus stop back a few metres, away from the junction and putting it at the end of the bus lane. This way, buses letting passengers on/off would block the bus lane whilst also giving people in the correct lane a safe opportunity to filter past the stationary bus. I tested this before by parking an out-of-service bus at the end of the bus lane for a few minutes. Bad news for the cars directly behind the bus at the time (not sure why the felt entitled to blast their horns at a bus in a bus lane, but there you go), but great for everyone who was driving correctly.

There's a few things that would help there, but they seem to have gone with the option that makes life worst for everyone (cars, buses, cyclists).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Apologies if this has been mentioned before:

I was in DL during the week as I had a delivery. Someone told me that sometime in the not too distant future George’s Street will become traffic free. Is this true? And if so, how are the busses going to leave the terminus by the train station?

I already wonder how that Tesco centre opposite the hospital is doing?

No, its not true.

The Council have suggested that that is what they wish to do, but it hasn't been decided yet and another round of public consultation on the matter was due to take place, but hasn't so far.

I can tell you there is strong local resistance to the idea, particularly from some businesses and from the community older age and disability sector, as accessibility will be a very major concern especially in relation to the loss of bus service access to the heart of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CJay1

I posted this in motoring . This might be a better spot as posters are familiar with the junction

Does anyone know the law on who would be liable for a crash if someone crashed into you at the end of the bus lane on Kill Lane?

I don't drive in the bus lane and join the lane where I'm supposed to, if someone side swipes , who was in the bus lane, who would be responsible?

Some drivers get really annoyed when you join the lane going straight on and don't slow down.

It should really be the council for making the situation exist in the first place.

Reality is that it would be the person moving into the lane when unsafe to do so, I've tried both approaches, but the whole thing is annoying as we've family who use the bus which can't effectively use the bus lane, it either needs bollards put in place to properly segregate and/or get rid of the right turn and lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CJay1

Yeah it's a mess.

If I'm in the correct lane and it's merging, should the cars in the bus lane not give way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

most People will allow cars to merge. 1 at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

The majority of motorists in Ireland have no idea what "merge in turn" means.

Thats for absolute sure.

Also known as the zip-merge, but that description too would blow the minds of many an Irish motorist who got their licence in a Christmas Cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Has anyone been in touch with ISA Autos recently? Phone is ringing out and no response to email. Last post on their FB page is from the new year.

https://www.facebook.com/isaautosltd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Rejoice and be glad, apparently Upper Glenageary Road is to be resurfaced in June along with the new cycle lanes of course.

Very long overdue, dangerous for bikes and cars alike at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Unflushable Turd

any idea if they are doing Sandycove Rd and Ave as well?

Since Irish water dug the place up the roads are awful and they have managed to create a nice long bumpy section where you would normally cycle.

• Advertisement

No idea, I only got the info in a reply from Carrie Smith on a comment in f/book.

Advertisement