Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

My point I suppose is that if they are able bodied enough to push a cart around a large shopping centre they could probably make it the 200m to the bus stop at the top of Marine Rd without keeling over

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

But sure thats the whole bloody point.

The bus stop facing the top of Marine Road doesn't serve the 46A,63 and 75.

When George's Street Lower was pedestrianised in Summer '21, those routes U-turned at the Harbour and travelled back along Crofton Road, so the walk from Bloomfields or the Hospital to meet them is a minimum of 700 metres! And thats not taking into account the hill of Marine Road, which the less able very much do find difficult, especially in winter, despite your dismissal of their needs.

Anyway, its good to know you've established such a low bar for success, do all older people have to not keel over or just a good percentage for the win?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

The first stop on York Road is 300m from Bloomfields, serves all three routes, and avoids the dizzying heights along Marine Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I can't argue with your inate understanding of the seasonably challenged elderly people who take the 46A, 63 and 75 buses with their shopping. I haven't done any voxpops which you clearly have so I surrender to your superior knowledge on the subject.

The two walking routes from Bloomfields to the nearest Citybound stop on York Road, are either 400m or 500m.

• Advertisement

Dún Laoghaire is banjaxed. Monkstown and Blackrock are light years ahead now in terms of retail diversity, engagement and sense of community because DL is being strangled by a load of old property owners sitting on derelict shops with apartment possibilities watching their "investments" increase. Having an FG/FF controlled council with PBP lapdogs enables the dereliction. It's going to get worse. Too many yacht clubs. Too many "no swimming" and "no fishing signs". Wealthiest constituency in the country full of aul wans driving 2022 BMW SUVS with LV colostomy bags. Too many build-to-rent.

Re: the Station - there's another utterly useless traffic light set installed in the last 2 weeks on the other side of the station.

Dún Laoghaire is not a place for local people.

Avoid it. Bulldoze the lot and rebuild the Top Hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Right, so still less than the 700 metres necessary to return to the terminus.

Anyway, in common with Homesick Alien, I haven't canvassed the infirm of the county on the matter so will bow to your superior knowledge and compassion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

whats the point of this post ? Dl isn’t for local people , where are the x5 driving’aul wans’ being shipped in from ?

Both of your sarcasm helps no one.

But I can tell you that the Councillors will know they need to demonstrate exactly that sort of compassion, because they'll be up for reelection one year later.

Crudely put, but not inaccurate. S2

The inertia of property ownership is a big - maybe the biggest - factor in Dun Laoghaire's fortunes.

However, I'm optimistic that the arrival of the big primary care centre in the old shopping centre and the co-working / incubator space in the old ferry terminal and the new school in the old Fire Station (and a few other initiatives I've heard well sourced rumours about), will now prompt some of these sandbagging property owners thats its time to invest or go to the market.

Momentum will be key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I am just back from a Dun Laoire trip and sad to see that the on street parking 'Mon - Fri' are now changed to include Saturday and also the Dart station at Salthill is now now long free on a Saturday. So I paid for parking, did one errand and left. I would previously had a wander thru a few shops and picked up a coffee, meet up with friends, walk the pier etc. Apart from the cost of parking, I hate the feeling of clockwatching to see if it is worth another hour to pay for car, have I put in enough when arrived? have I coins enough? Yes I could have an app on phone but I prefer not to have one and coins in post covid days are a scarcity in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If you don’t want to join keep up with current times by using an app, you can also tap your card on most of the meters

I find it hard to sympathise with people who don’t want to use a parking app, it couldn’t be easier and alleviates all your ‘issues’

I dont like any money/bank details on my phone. Parking app requires link to bank ac.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

You can pay for each park separately, you don’t need to automatically top it up anymore.

The central areas of Dun Laoghaire, as well as central Blackrock, Dundrum etc, have all been 'pay and display' parking from Monday - Saturday since the Bye Laws first came into force 20 years ago.

You could simply link the app to a Revolut or Credit Card account, one step removed from your personal current account, but frankly I don't see how your paranoia of modern technology is the problem of local businesses or the County Council.

You could just save up your spare change in your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

You can park for €4.00 for 24 hours at the West Pier.

My main point is that the metered parking areas are now extended to 6 days a week. It might be a couple of months since my last trip to Dun L but for years I have been able to park for free on Cumberland Street of a Saturday morning and the Salthill Dart carpark was also free. But for the parking fee today, I would have shopped about the town and had a coffee or lunch after I had finished my main reason for going to Dun Laoire.

The new one way system at sea front makes getting to and from the pier parking areas a bit tortuous?

It has been well discussed here that there are alternative shopping areas with free parking on site. And from where I come from, buses are not convenient.

Two hours parking around Dun Laoghaire costs less than a cup of coffee and there are numerous ways to pay for parking - cash at the machine, card at the machine, cash/card in Payzone shops, ParkingTag by card, ParkingTag by mobile phone balance, by SMS, by IVR and by mobile app.

Yes it’s mildly irritating that you now have to pay on Saturdays but it’s revenue for the council that goes to local services and it might encourage some people, not you, to cycle or take the bus leaving more road space and more parking space for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I have the app, but I would say in general in Dublin-its rare I find a parking meter that accepts card. I havent kept change on me for years.

I use the app now but you would think coin only machines should be done away with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You could always like it to a virtual card via Revolut or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Only some of your card details are visible within the app. Six of the card serial number digits and all of the CVC are masked with asterisks. If you mislaid your phone, your exposure is no worse than if you toss the receipt from a debit or credit purchase into a public bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

I rarely visit this thread anymore and it's generally people giving out about parking & others saying "the app is great".

I see from the last few posts it hasn't changed too much but I thought I'd come back in to post this video of changes DLRCoCo are proposing for Kill Ave & the surrounding areas

Caution - this may lead to more anti-cyclist posts

I'd like more details on the changes to the green opposite the college on Kill Ave but I can't see anything detailed online.

If anyone sees them, could they post them here?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I was recently parked on the Carrickbrennan road and none of the pox-ridden meters there would accept a card and I had insufficient coins. For the once in a blue-moon that I need to pay for parking it's not worth having the app installed either.

You don’t need the app or an account - you can park using the website (www.parkingtag.ie) and pay by card.

The proposed cycle lanes along Kill Ave look great. Double-track cycle lanes, done properly, are transformational. They’re a cheap, efficient mode of transport, they’re great for less confident cyclists and they have the added advantage of making cycling even more sociable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I have mixed views as they are seriously tightening 2 major turns at the junction of Kill Avenue and Upper Glenageary Road and the junction of Oliver Plunkett Road and Mounttown Road Lower. Now, notwithstanding the DMURS, the rest of the design seems badley needed.

I still maintain that tight junctions like those recommended in the DMURS puts a hard limit on the size of vehicles using these roads given the resultant constraits. Sadly, they are written into law instead of being taken with a pinch of salt as they should be.

Essentially, the DMURS and its brother, the NCM reek of charitable lingo with how their reasonings are worded. Anything charitable should always be voluntary and not mandatory. Otherwise, the efforts are dishonest.

More nonsense from the Council that brought you the illegal Coastal Mobility Route and the impractical Kill Lane.

The fact is, Kill Avenue and Glengeary Road have both been reprofiled in the last 8 to 10 years, with what we are told were the state-of-the-art designs. And yet, here they are, looking to excavate the whole show again, at great expense and disruption, to provide what will amount to zero improvement in cycle priority and only further loss of amenity for people who just happen to live on a main road.

All while other main routes in the County havent even got a decent surface, let alone any sort of cycle facilities.

The folk on Mounttown Lower, in particular, will not stand for it judging by early complaints I've already seen and heard.

Its worth remembering the local elections are now less than two years away and by the time consultation is done with on this proposal, will be less than one year away. The local reaction to this will be ringing loudly in the ears of the incumbents intending to run again, when they make a decision on this scheme....

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dingbat

I see there is a public meeting tonight at the Eblana club in Dún Laoghaire related to the George's St. pedestrianisation.

• Advertisement

I believe it was more about the success or not of pedestrianisation generally, as an ethos.

But obviously prompted by upcoming (again) debates.

I know I'm against it, well against public transport removal anyway, but in relation to this meeting I would point out that the organisers are the usual 'against everything' in Dun Laoghaire brigade and would have much preferred to see the town paused at its 1968 existence forever more, even as the World changes around them.

Advertisement