Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dawkins Trivialises Paedophilia

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

From the Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory (J. A. Cuddon, 1992):

"Jargon (Old French 'warbling of birds')... by the end of the 15th c., and perhaps earlier, it came to signify unintelligible or secret language... We are accustomed to using it derogatorily now to describe the private or technical vocabulary peculiar to a trade or profession..."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

HansHolzel wrote: »
    The use of sociological jargon plus the supercilious tone of the post (on Giddens and "structuration") implied a qualification in the subject on the part of the poster, which he later admitted he did not have.
    I am not aware of any formal qualification in being an asshole, but you are most certainly impling such a qualification.

MrP

Impling?

Whatever about 'impling', calling somebody what you just did can get you banned ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭swampgas

The use of sociological jargon plus the supercilious tone of the post (on Giddens and "structuration") implied a qualification in the subject on the part of the poster, which he later admitted he did not have.

I didn't detect any such implication myself. Perhaps it is more correct to say that you inferred the qualification?

To infer means to deduce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

MrPudding wrote: »
    I am not aware of any formal qualification in being an asshole, but you are most certainly impling such a qualification.

MrP

Now, now, it is a Sunday. Let's keep things civil. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...he did not imply a qualification, he did not state outright he had a qualification.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Nodin wrote: »
    ....as I said, trying to personalise the debate won't work with me. You know full well what I mean. .

Again, I am not trying to personalise the debate. Let me clarify the situation.

You used the term "fondling" to describe child molestation. I have shown you that to fondle means to lovingly caress.

There are two possibilities here as I see it, and I do hope you clarify because right now this conversation is giving me the creeps. The first is that you didn't understand the actual meaning of the term "fondle". In which case you should now correct yourself. The second possibility is that you consider kiddy-fiddling as being "loving" and "caressing" sexual assaults.
    .So fondling is the same as penetrative rape? .
    "Fondling"? Again? Really?

We both know it's not the same. However, because there are various forms of sexual crimes against children with some being more extreme than others the difference is academic. All sex crimes against children are horrific. None register onto any "acceptable" scale. There is no such thing as "mild paedophilia", and only a sick ****er could believe so.

Please tell me you agree,,,

.The 1950's held the same attitudes as now? This is fascinating news, because everyone else and the records from the era say otherwise.
    Lets keep honest. I said the public school boarding school environment would have changed little since Dawkins was there. It's core values, ethos, routines and so on would have changed little.

If we're going to be pedantic about semantics and definitions can we please use the term "paedophilia" in an accurate way. It is NOT child molesting.

...he did not imply a qualification, he did not state outright he had a qualification.

To imply does not necessarily mean to convey a meaning intentionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,232 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

There are two possibilities here as I see it, and I do hope you clarify because right now this conversation is giving me the creeps. The first is that you didn't understand the actual meaning of the term "fondle". In which case you should now correct yourself. The second possibility is that you consider kiddy-fiddling as being "loving" and "caressing" sexual assaults.
    Or option 3: you are sticking to an overly narrow definition of a word, ignoring the context and intent of the person who wrote it so you can feign your outrage and disgust and pretend that it's possible that person actually does think that some child molestation is sometimes acceptable.

And to save you the time allow me to twist what jernal said for you.

"Pedophilia isn't child molesting? Surely you don't mean that pedophilia is acceptable!? I'm not accusing you of holding that position, I'm just implying you are by asking that silly question that has an obvious answer."

Anyone know how close Dawkins in to Peter "secularist of the year" Tatchell?

I know they co-organised the anti-pope protests together.

Tatchell a gay and secularist activist once wrote a in a letter ot the Guardian that "not all sex with children is abusive and unwanted". Sick man. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1311193/PETER-HITCHENS-Question-Who-said-Not-sex-involving-children-unwanted-abusive-Answer-The-Popes-biggest-British-critic.html

He was also hooked in with the paedophilia advocacy organisation the Paedophile Information Exchange who wanted to legalise "consensual" :rolleyes: sex with children.

Who decides who the "secularist of the year" is? And why did they award this scum.bag?

I do hope that no one, in trying to distinguish paedophilia (the thought) with child molesting (the deed), is actually mixing up paedophilia with pederasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

He was also hooked in with the paedophilia advocacy organisation the Paedophile Information Exchange who wanted to legalise "consensual" :rolleyes: sex with children.

Not true, according to the man himself:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/peter-g-tatchell/nick-griffin-bnp-smear-tactics_b_1987761.html

That claim originates from those lovely people in the BNP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I do hope that no one, in trying to distinguish paedophilia (the thought) with child molesting (the deed), is actually mixing up paedophilia with pederasty.

Just...what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Well by the logic that seems to be in use for this thread, this obviously means Brown Bomber supports the BNP, right?

This has been a very confusing thread.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Not true, according to the man himself:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/peter-g-tatchell/nick-griffin-bnp-smear-tactics_b_1987761.html

That claim originates from those lovely people in the BNP.

No, it originates in Tatchell writing a chapter in a book published and edited by the paedophile information exchange.
    n 1984 he contributed to a book called "The Betrayal of Youth" (For crossword fans, the title is an acrostic that spells The B.O.Y). Tatchell wrote the chapter entitled 'Questioning Ages of Majority and Ages of Consent.’

It was followed by a chapter called ‘Ends ‘and Means; How to Make Paedophilia Acceptable.’ The author was Roger Moody, at the time reported to be a PIE executive. One of his contributions to consent law was the following: ‘Specifically, this means we don’t work to lower the age of consent, but to abolish it, and we don’t argue that rights over kids be transferred from courts to parents, but that the only people who have the right to kid’s rights – are the kids themselves.’
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/cristinaodone/100193589/im-a-tatchellite-and-i-love-my-gay-friends-but-cameron-imposing-gay-marriage-on-us-marks-a-new-intolerance/

This is his letter to the Guardian in full.
    ROS Coward (Why Dares to Speak says nothing useful, June 23) thinks it is 'shocking' that Gay Men's Press has published a book, Dares To Speak, which challenges the assumption that all sex involving children and adults is abusive. I think it is courageous.

The distinguished psychologists and anthropologists cited in this book deserve to be heard. Offering a rational, informed perspective on sexual relations between younger and older people, they document examples of societies where consenting inter-generational sex is considered normal, beneficial and enjoyable by old and young alike. Prof Gilbert Herdt points to the Sambia tribe of Papua New Guinea, where all young boys have sex with older warriors as part of their initiation into manhood. Far from being harmed, Prof Herdt says the boys grow up to be happy, well-adjusted husbands and fathers.

The positive nature of some child-adult sexual relationships is not confined to non-Western cultures. Several of my friends - gay and straight, male and female - had sex with adults from the ages of nine to 13. None feel they were abused. All say it was their conscious choice and gave them great joy.

While it may be impossible to condone paedophilia, it is time society acknowledged the truth that not all sex involving children is unwanted, abusive and harmful.[4]

Secularist of the year? :rolleyes:

So now there's a wee bit of a contradiction with the "I have always condemned adults having sex with children" line in the Huffington Post piece.

No, it originates in Tatchell writing a chapter in a book published and edited by the paedophile information exchange.

This is his letter to the Guardian in full.

Secularist of the year? :rolleyes:

He clarifies his position on this here.

I might not agree with everything Peter Tatchell says, but he has been a tireless human rights campaigner over the years, not just on gay rights, but also on issues as diverse as religious freedom, animal rights, and social justice. He's an extremely courageous man.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well, this is a new low. 'A is a secularist, and B is a secularist, and B said something bad, therefore A believes in this bad thing as well'

Now whether Tatchell indeed said something bad is another argument, perhaps you could open a thread about it on LGBT or something.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    He clarifies his position on this here.

I might not agree with everything Peter Tatchell says, but he has been a tireless human rights campaigner over the years, not just on gay rights, but also on issues as diverse as religious freedom, animal rights, and social justice. He's an extremely courageous man.
    ... don't forget paedos rights.

So how close is he to Dawkins?

Does it matter? Is it even relevant?

Again, I am not trying to personalise the debate. Let me clarify the situation.

You used the term "fondling" to describe child molestation. I have shown you that to fondle means to lovingly caress. .

Its threads like this and posts like these that remind me why I have never, since day one, had any time for your nonsense.

I'd suggest entering the word "fondle" into a thesaurus.

We both know it's not the same. However, because there are various forms of
    sexual crimes against children with some being more extreme than others the
    difference is academic. All sex crimes against children are horrific.
    None register onto any "acceptable" scale. There is no such thing as
    "mild paedophilia", and only a sick ****er could believe so.

So they aren't all the same, but they are? You seem very confused on the issue.

Lets keep honest. .

Aha. Haha.
    I said the public school boarding school environment would have changed little since Dawkins was there. It's core values, ethos, routines and so on would have changed little.

Really? From the mid 1950's? Dear o dear.

...no idea. Quick, throw the mud and hope it sticks!!!!!!!!!!!

... don't forget paedos rights.

He shown that Tatchell does not hold the position you state he does. Have the decency to acknowledge that and move on.

To imply does not necessarily mean to convey a meaning intentionally.

.....and just because somebody reads something into a post, doesn't mean it was there.

.....and just because somebody reads something into a post, doesn't mean it was there.

No, you hang up.

Closing this mess.

I asked a question in the thread on the atheist "intellectual" Dawkins and his disgusting"mild " paedophilia position ". It was regarding gay activist and and co-organiser with Dawkins of the British anti-Pope protests Peter Tatchell.

He is equally if not more deranged on his views on children and sex is the "secularist of the year" for 2012. He is the creepy looking hypocrite in the green shirt.

1284877283-protest-against-pope-benedict-led-by-peter-tatchell-in-london_447176.jpg

Tatchell has a long history of gay activism and has crossed paths with pro-paedophilia organisations.

He was a leading member of the "Gay Liberation Front" which assimilated into it the "Paedophile Action For Liberation" . PAL were exposed and then dissolved.

http://spotlightonabuse.wordpress.com/2013/03/15/the-vilest-men-in-britain-25-5-75/

They had earlier merged with the Paedophile Information Exchange (PIE) another group of paedos Tatchell was associated with.

i
    n 1984 he contributed to a book called "The Betrayal of Youth" (For crossword fans, the title is an acrostic that spells The B.O.Y). Tatchell wrote the chapter entitled 'Questioning Ages of Majority and Ages of Consent.’

It was followed by a chapter called ‘Ends ‘and Means; How to Make Paedophilia Acceptable.’ The author was Roger Moody, at the time reported to be a PIE executive. One of his contributions to consent law was the following: ‘Specifically, this means we don’t work to lower the age of consent, but to abolish it, and we don’t argue that rights over kids be transferred from courts to parents, but that the only people who have the right to kid’s rights – are the kids themselves.’
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/cr...w-intolerance/

PIE were formed in Scotland by the humanist Ian Dunn in 1960s. Tatchell would later write Dunn's obituary.

Ian Dunn's exposure by the Sunday Mail.
    http://spotlightonabuse.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/sundaymail25384.jpg

Tatchell along with the pro-paedophilia groups allied themselves in the 70's with National Council For Civil Liberties who lobbied at the time
    "Childhood sexual experiences, willingly engaged in with an adult," it read, "result in no identifiable damage … The real need is a change in the attitude which assumes that all cases of paedophilia result in lasting damage."
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/jan/03/paedophilia-bringing-dark-desires-light

This is line with Tatchell's own words in a letter published in The Guardian in 97
    ROS Coward (Why Dares to Speak says nothing useful, June 23) thinks it is 'shocking' that Gay Men's Press has published a book, Dares To Speak, which challenges the assumption that all sex involving children and adults is abusive. I think it is courageous.

The distinguished psychologists and anthropologists cited in this book deserve to be heard. Offering a rational, informed perspective on sexual relations between younger and older people, they document examples of societies where consenting inter-generational sex is considered normal, beneficial and enjoyable by old and young alike. Prof Gilbert Herdt points to the Sambia tribe of Papua New Guinea, where all young boys have sex with older warriors as part of their initiation into manhood. Far from being harmed, Prof Herdt says the boys grow up to be happy, well-adjusted husbands and fathers.

The positive nature of some child-adult sexual relationships is not confined to non-Western cultures. Several of my friends - gay and straight, male and female - had sex with adults from the ages of nine to 13. None feel they were abused. All say it was their conscious choice and gave them great joy.

While it may be impossible to condone paedophilia, it is time society acknowledged the truth that not all sex involving children is unwanted, abusive and harmful.[4]

Which bring us back around to Dawkins who believes in a form of "mild paedophilia".

The same Dawkins who is an "Honory Associate" at The National Secular Society, the group who honored Tatchell as the "Secularist of The Year".
    http://www.secularism.org.uk/honoraryassociates.html

So what I wanted to find out is why are the secularist society honoring such a man? What his connection to Dawkins is and why don't atheist speak out against their fellow atheists in such cases?

Another prominent example is the atheist founder of NAMBLA - the North American Man Boy Love Association.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Ah look, a well balanced post as usual ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement