Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should you be proud of your nationality ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Rubeter

A few posts above make the points very well that...
    1. You don't have to have actively done something to feel pride in it, Nothing odd about feeling proud of the spectacular views surrounding your house when a visitor gasps in amazement.
    2. Unless you live under a rock, then you are part of what makes up the nation, you affect it with your presence just by interacting with people and physically by doing no more weeding your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

anncoates wrote: »
    You might need to change your profile tag to something other than exiled so.

:pac:

True enough. More of a boards exile/banned joke.

Suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

MadsL wrote: »

Suggestions?

I can't even think of a witty one for myself, let alone anybody else. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Yes, I am proud despite how ridiculous it probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Of course, I'm proud of my nationality, nothing wrong with that...as long as you are able to accept other nationalities.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Yes, were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Proud probably isn't the right word but I would definitely say that I am glad and thankful to be Irish. It feels a lot like pride though- but I know it's not like I had anything to do with me actually being from here. Still, I'm happy to say proud for want of a better word I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Ahhh this comes up far too much on Boards and each time I have to read boring, depressed loners write the same things about 'it makes no sense to be proud of something I had no say in' Get over yourself, losers!

BTW Irish people(and the accent) is loved the world over, that's reality, whether this love is vindicated I don't know but for whatever reason ireland is loved(although the perception of england as being hated is wrong, I know among young people in France/Germany, English culture is everything there)

If I may enquire as to why you think those who don't do the pride thing are "boring, depressed loners/losers"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Moomoo1

I think you should love your country, culture and your 'national group', for sure. But that, I men the people, not the 'establishment'.

but proud? I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

Everyone has the right to be proud in they're country, its not pride in a geographical sense it's proud of the collective achievements you and your ancestors/neighbours/children/friends have achieved. we are all part of our society and therefore we all have a role to play in how this country turns out. For example would you not be proud in your children if they were successful? Or say one of your grandparents did something Nobel, would you have no pride in them?

If being proud were to be a simply individual thing than there would be very few things in anyone's life that they could truly claim to be proud of.

However... I am not proud of my country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

It should not be a chore to be proud of where you come from but a trait that is built into us growing up. I love this country with all my heart. The island of Ireland didn't do anything wrong, it is the people that happen to live in this beautiful country that messed it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

You could find loop holes in your logic, if 'you' were born in another country then you wouldn't be 'you' as you would have different ancestors.
    Regarding being proud of your nationality when you have no say over it, you could say the same about people being gay, gay people always say that they were born gay and i'm sure they are proud of being gay also.

Myself, my nationality is Irish-British I think since I was born in Northern Ireland, i'm not particularly proud of it but i'm proud to be an Ulsterman as that's were most of my ancestors were based for centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Definitely, we are one of the best nations on the planet. We are loved and respected the world over and punch well above our weight in politics, business and scientific achievements. We have some of the most beautiful scenery the eye can see and you wont find better craic or atmosphere on a night out anywhere else.

Why wouldn't I be proud!
    Because you didn't contribute to any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

No

• Registered Users Posts: 4 The Monaghan Lad

Yes you should be proud of you nationally as the Irish nation is one of the best in my opinion, I have lived amongst Irish people for most of life and since I was born in Ireland I consider myself lucky being born in such a beautiful country, I carry dual nationality and I am proud of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Sure. You can feel pride for your nationality. I'm sure many people feel pride for their state, county, city, neighborhood, and/or family.

It's so strange. It almost seems childish. Why can't I be proud of other countries as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

old hippy wrote: »
    It's so strange. It almost seems childish. Why can't I be proud of other countries as well?

Because!

Now get in line before you depress us all with your lonely loser talk!

Because!

Now get in line before you depress us all with your lonely loser talk!

Can I be proud of my planet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

...innnnnnnnnn thhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee nnnnnnnnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee of llllllllllllllllllllllllllllovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

old hippy wrote: »
    Can I be proud of my planet?

No, it's mine.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Because you didn't contribute to any of it.

How do you know I didn't and why can someone not be proud of their countries achievements even if they weren't involved in them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Depends on what you mean.

It's OK when it's a mutual knowledge/experience of heritage and background and the benign affinity that comes with that.

It's not OK when it leads to flag-waving or when other other more relevant affinities (humanity, class, etc) are subsumed by nationalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Things Im proud of;

Ireland is recognised as a welcoming place full of friendly and hospitable people.

We gained independence and eventually fashioned a high growth economy which raised the standard of living hugely, sent thousands to 3rd level who would normally never have had the means to go and generally put the country in the bracket of affluent western societies. If you don't agree, go ask anyone over 60. Despite the recession we are a hell of a lot better off than people here in the 40s and 50s.

We threw off the shackles of the church and no longer live in a benign theocracy.

Things Im not proud of;

The breed of cretin who invariably gets into positions of power in Ireland.

The bigger, brasher, more more more mindset which was typified by the boom years.

A general lack of respect for the landscape, wildlife and natural resources of the country. Basically anything is fair game for exploitation in the name of the mighty euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

If you're living abroad like I am, you can be proud to be Irish.
    However I can also see how people aren't proud of the way Ireland is right now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

SHOULD you be? As in, is there a moral obgliation?

No.

Can you be? Sure, why not?
    I never understood it, myself, I always assumed people are proud of things they have actually helped achieve, but I suppose some people like being proud of what other people did and like finding similarities, such as carrying that same coloured passport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I don't see how you can be "proud" of falling out of a vagina in a certain geographical area.
    You didn't do anything to be proud of, you were just born there, you've no reason to have "pride".

Can you feel privileged to be from certain countries, sure, when you look at the world, I'm glad I was born in Ireland and not somewhere like Lesotho or Myanmar or North Korea, but I'm not proud of it, where I was born doesn't make me any more special of different than people from other countries, more privileged, more thankful, yes, proud, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

I didn't reply to this thread before because I was afraid of sounding like a dunce but I am proud of my nationality and there's nothing wrong with that.

I was born in exile, where we were treated like scum. Being a refugee sucked. We fought long and hard and lost countless people in the struggle to get back to the homeland and I am proud of being Rwandan because our identity as a people is what kept us going when everything seemed bleak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Seaneh wrote: »
    Can you feel privileged to be from certain countries, sure, when you look at the world, I'm glad I was born in Ireland and not somewhere like Lesotho or Myanmar or North Korea, but I'm not proud of it, where I was born doesn't make me any more special of different than people from other countries, more privileged, more thankful, yes, proud, no.

if you were born into a loyal family in north korea, you'd be extremely proud for being part of the country that 'repelled the imperialist yankees'.

whatever about being proud, i'm certainly not embarrassed about where i'm from.

Advertisement