Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should you be proud of your nationality ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

If you've grown up in a place and you're a reasonably positive individual you've probably found lots of things about the place to be proud of. It shouldn't be an antagonistic or exclusive pride though.

Anything that can be used to excuse prejudice without explanation or responsibility will be. It doesn't mean that that thing is inheritable bad, it just means that there are a lot of dickheads out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We are not as well loved in the wide world as some of us imagine.
    I was shocked, shocked! By how much Irish people were loved all over the world. I could do no wrong once people found out I was Irish. Many seem to use Irish people as an excuse to go a bit cracked I think. Turn up in someones house and they immediately use you as an excuse to pull out some bottle of spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

jimgoose wrote: »
    Contrary to popular belief, Americans do not say "Ain't that swell!" outside of cheesy '50s films! :D

... and those with a sense of national pride :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I only spent 58% of my life in my native country and have lived in 3 others since then. I feel more of a European, and more proud of European co-operation and the EU than my "own" country.

I hope to become an American soon and I'm actually looking forward to swearing in as a new citizen. I will be proud to a part of that long history of multiple nations immigrants becoming One Nation. It ain't perfect, but it has provided a home for people who have suffered elsewhere and a chance at a new life for so many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

its even worse when descendants of irish people jump on the band wagon

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

its even worse when descendants of irish people jump on the band wagon

That's up to them if they are proud of their Irish heritage. It's no better or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Ha, ha...............ROFL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

ScumLord wrote: »
    Turn up in someones house and they immediately use you as an excuse to pull out some bottle of spirits.

I'm not sure I'd be impressed if that happened me, it's like saying we're all a bunch of drunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Were all so proud.......until money and greed steps in, then its all for one and one for feck all else!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 moe_green

Simply question do you think you should be proud of you nationality ?
    I ask because my veiw is you have no say in where you are born so why should you be proud of it ? everyone has to be born somewhere,
    I don't mind being Irish but im not proud of it as i didn't do anything to become Irish ,
    What do you people think ?
    Should you be PROUD of your Nationality ?

its rarely a bad thing , even it is a little silly - irrational , like being proud of your parish , without it , how would you help it improve etc

• Advertisement

I am pie wrote: »
    Not proud no, pride is a negative emotion in too many cases and leads nowhere good. Content, yes.

are you serious ? , pride is a wonderfull emotion , without it , life is pretty meaningless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

moe_green wrote: »
    are you serious ? , proud is a wonderfull emotion , without it , life is pretty meaningless

You can have plenty of pride and be living on the streets! Doesn't mean your life is any better!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm proud of it in the same sort of way I'd be proud of my garden. Your life in any country is what you make of it.. and if the soil's good enough to allow for growth then that's something to be thankful for.

MadsL wrote: »
    I only spent 58% of my life in my native country and have lived in 3 others since then. I feel more of a European, and more proud of European co-operation and the EU than my "own" country.

I hope to become an American soon and I'm actually looking forward to swearing in as a new citizen. I will be proud to a part of that long history of multiple nations immigrants becoming One Nation. It ain't perfect, but it has provided a home for people who have suffered elsewhere and a chance at a new life for so many.

I can see you being secretary general of the UN someday

You can have plenty of pride and be living on the streets! Doesn't mean your life is any better!

I was happier when I was far far less wealthy than I am now , pride was stolen however

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

No IMO - nor ashamed. Although some stuff embarrasses me, but overall it's a pretty good place to live IMO.
    Definitely, we are one of the best nations on the planet. We are loved and respected the world over and punch well above our weight in politics, business and scientific achievements. We have some of the most beautiful scenery the eye can see and you wont find better craic or atmosphere on a night out anywhere else.
    Ok, I'm not one of the moaners about Ireland but I'd question some of the above. I don't know that we're loved and respected the world over at all. Much of the world hasn't even heard of us. We are no better than anyone else (even if Ireland is obviously a much better place to live in than many places, but that's not the fault of the people in those places).
    And really - punch above our weight in politics? How do we punch above our weight anyway? This is a first-world country that has been in receipt of a lot of EU funding and plenty of multinationals providing employment here. It's not like we haven't had any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

COYVB wrote: »
    Similarly though, being ashamed to be from somewhere is a bit strange. It's not like you have any say or influence on it

And yet people are fast enough to use it as a verbal insult in many cases. Not even on an international scale, but on a local one.

Am I proud to be Irish, yes. We as a nation have an amazing history and beautiful landscape. If I was born in another country I would probably be proud to be from there. You can't beat the aulde American's for national pride though.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

Without preaching, I think people should be proud of where they are from. It makes up part of who you are whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

I'm proud of where I'm from but I'm not proud of the way Ireland is now unfortunately. I wish I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't know, If I lived in a place like London or New York I think it would be easier to say I'm proud to be from those great cities.
    Yes, but 'you' wouldn't be 'you'. A person who was made up of the local social/ cultural/ moral fibre of those places may endorse and take pride in the values and traits of his community, which he may regard as exemplary.

Or he may not, many people are not proud of their society's past.

Should you be proud of your nationality? Depends on your nationality. Many regard Irish identity as, if not benign, then a positive thing. On balance, I think Ireland has one of the more honourable identities of European states, something which we all partake in to some extent, and from which we may therefore derive pride.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Funk It wrote: »
    Without preaching, I think people should be proud of where they are from. It makes up part of who you are whether you like it or not.

But where they're from is not their own accomplishment or achievement. They can be happy about where they're from, for sure, but pride about something you have no say or influence on makes nosense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

We have a lot to be proud of.

The culture that we grew up in and form a part of, is globally recognised as being friendly , likable and charitable.

The country is not in the best state financially at the moment because of silly mistakes but we will get over them and they should not define us.

Just live in NY for a year . I have never really appreciated where we are from till I spent time there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

brokenarms wrote: »
    We have a lot to be proud of.

The culture that we grew up in and form a part of, is globally recognised as being friendly , likable and charitable.

You did none of those things though. It's not because of you, or your friends, or your family that Ireland is seen that way. Why should you be proud of it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

You can be proud of a team or achievements or something related to your nationality but I dont get the whole "I'm proud to be Irish" thing. What is there to be proud of in the fact you just happen to be Irish ?

I know this is different to most people but for me being Irish is something that was chosen, albeit by my Irish parents, but they brought me up to be proud to be Irish. I am also proud to have been born where I was and will always have a strong connection to there but I'm still Irish and choose to be so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Kruse

National pride is the opium of the ignorant and uneducated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Ahhh this comes up far too much on Boards and each time I have to read boring, depressed loners write the same things about 'it makes no sense to be proud of something I had no say in' Get over yourself, losers!

BTW Irish people(and the accent) is loved the world over, that's reality, whether this love is vindicated I don't know but for whatever reason ireland is loved(although the perception of england as being hated is wrong, I know among young people in France/Germany, English culture is everything there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

But where they're from is not their own accomplishment or achievement. They can be happy about where they're from, for sure, but pride about something you have no say or influence on makes nosense
    You're appearing to misunderstand the word 'proud' and also confusing the territory with the nationality.

Firstly, the Oxford definition that seems to be escaping people:

Proud: adjective
    1 feeling deep pleasure or satisfaction as a result of one’s own achievements, qualities, or possessions or those of someone with whom one is closely associated:
    a proud grandma of three boys

So there is nothing in the definition that prevents pride in a third party's attributes. Any belief to that effect stems from a misunderstanding of the word. Secondly, the meaning of nationality:

The Irish Nation is defined in terms of people, not territory. It is especially sensible to be proud of a group of people, in which you participate, who (usually, or on balance) come together to share projects, co-operate and aim to to good works. I think Ireland is one of the highest rank, most benevolent European states in this regard, and therefore my society (i.e Nation) is one that, as a participant, I feel proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

You did none of those things though. It's not because of you, or your friends, or your family that Ireland is seen that way. Why should you be proud of it?

I did all of those things. I'm sure you did them as well when making conversation with tourists, being abroad or even givin a few pound to charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

MadsL wrote: »
    I feel more of a European, and more proud of European co-operation and the EU than my "own" country.

You might need to change your profile tag to something other than exiled so.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

An attachment, maybe. Pride needs to be earned. But I don't think anybody is calling for pride these days.

Advertisement