Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ign Top 100 Shooters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

#40 - Aliens vs. Predator (Jaguar)
    #39 - Far Cry
    #38 - Rainbow Six 3
    #37 - Star Trek: Elite Force II
    #36 - Star Wars: Republic Commando
    #35 - System Shock 2
    #34 - SWAT 4
    #33 - Far Cry 3
    #32 - Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30
    #31 - Bioshock Infinite
    #30 - PlanetSide 2
    #29 - Star Wars: Dark Forces
    #28 - Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
    #27 - The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
    #26 - F.E.A.R.
    #25 - Crysis
    #24 - Left 4 Dead
    #23 - Battlefield 2
    #22 - Tribes 2
    #21 - Duke Nukem 3D

I think I've only properly played about 6 of the 80 announced so far. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,929 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wow AvP on the Jaguar made it on the list. Did they even play it because it's a terrible game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Glad Bulletstorm made the list...........wait the whole thing is a pile of crap anyway so it doesn`t matter. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

#20 - Medal of Honor
    #19 - Ghost Recon
    #18 - Team Fortress 2
    #17 - Quake III
    #16 - Unreal Tournament
    #15 - Rainbow 6
    #14 - Deus Ex
    #13 - Battlefield 1942
    #12 - Metroid Prime
    #11 - Wolfenstein 3D
    #10 - Quake II
    #9 - Counter-Strike
    #8 - BioShock
    #7 - Halo 2
    #6 - GoldenEye
    #5 - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    #4 - Halo: Combat Evolved
    #3 - Half-Life 2
    #2 - Doom
    #1 - Half-Life

finished list ..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm inclined to not comment on these ridiculous click-bait lists, and I'd tend to think of a direct press release from a company as more objective and reliable than anything IGN comes out with...

But Halo 2 at number seven? I'd imagine even Bungie would disagree with that one.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

quake 2 above quake 3 - OH SO CONTROVERSIAL THEY MUST HAVE DEEP AND COMPLEX REASONS....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Misleading thread title. Top 100First Person Shooters.

I only checked it out to complain about Midnight Resistance not being higher and how R-Type is overrated :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Where's Duck Hunt?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

It honestly just seems redundant to have a list as large as 100 for shooters. Is being the 100th best shooter really even that much of an honour? It's too specific for a list this size and it inevitably will suffer from some sequel fatigue. It's interesting that despite the high number of shooters from this generation compared to others that only 3 of the top 20 are from this gen too (Bioshock, CoD4 and TF2, did I miss any?).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,929 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bioshock better than System Shock 2? Fup right off.

Also Goldeneye being so high up, did anyone making that list actually play it recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bioshock better than System Shock 2? Fup right off.

Also Goldeneye being so high up, did anyone making that list actually play it recently?

But when it came out it was fantastic, and maybe they're looking at the game for when it came out and the effect it had then, not the effect it has now!

Or it's just a terrible list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

It's a stupid list anyway but did Medal of Honor: Allied Assault not make it, it's the best WWII FPS there is imo and one of the best PC shooters ever. Still play it from time to time and it's MP online is still loads of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Bioshock Infinite at 31?! As good as L4D and Battlefield 2 etc were, they dont hold a candle in terms of scope to B:I.

I'm not really sure what current quality has to do with anything. I mean Wolfenstein is on here. If games should be left of the list for ageing badly I'd probably start there rather than Goldeneye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

only played it there a while ago..christ on a bike its bad!.

but played it to death when it was out and dont remember it being like that at all.Probably got me into the whole fps genre

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Well since we're all being picky, as any of these lists are based on nothing bar opinion ... I'd have Half life 2 #1.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Bioshock Infinite at 31?! As good as L4D and Battlefield 2 etc were, they dont hold a candle in terms of scope to B:I.

I'm not really sure what current quality has to do with anything. I mean Wolfenstein is on here. If games should be left of the list for ageing badly I'd probably start there rather than Goldeneye.

But Wolfenstein 3D hasn't really aged badly.
    Sure it's not as feature rich or graphically impressive as modern titles but it's still a hell of a lot of fun to play.
    In that regard I really don't think you can say it has aged worse than Goldeneye.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,115 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

We played so much goldeneye in college ! I know it may have aged worse than other games, but at the time it was fantastic fun. 4 player split screen was great at the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Agricola wrote: »
    #88 - Unreal Tournament
    #16 - Unreal Tournament

I'm a seeing things here, or did IGN not only get their list wrong, from an opinion point of view, but also from a diligence one?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I'm a seeing things here, or did IGN not only get their list wrong, from an opinion point of view, but also from a diligence one?

:pac:

They had to fill it up somehow, and they probably didn't think anyone would actually read the whole thing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

88 as unreal tournament 2003

16 is unreal tournament

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

http://ie.ign.com/top/shooters/100

they have killzone 3 higher than metroid prime 2 and deus ex

I think I may have just got sick in my mouth, a little bit....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,181 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They had Halo 3: ODST higher than Halo 3 itself. Crazyness. Not that anyone apart from me probably cares :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Mickeroo wrote: »
    They had Halo 3: ODST higher than Halo 3 itself. Crazyness. Not that anyone apart from me probably cares :o

Maybe because ODST came with the complete Halo 3 MP including DLC? That's the only reason I can think of because ODST as a single player game was incredibly mediocre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I quite enjoyed ODST, I found it more satisfying than Halo 3 itself.
    But I found the Metroid Prime series considerably better than the Halo franchise, but then they are very different, Metroid Prime isn't a shooter, it's an adventure with shooting elements, told from the first person.
    But the Killzones only belong there in a Sony fanboi's fevered dream.
    I would have liked to have seen XIII rate higher though, I really liked that game.
    Is Coldwinter in there? I haven't seen the complete list, love that game on the ps2

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

what a nonsense list. such lazy journalism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't think it's nonsense. I take the list for what it is, and assume that the titles chosen were based upon the time in which they were released. Has Goldeneye aged? Undoubtedly, as a relatively early era 3D shooter. Does it hold up well retrospectively? No, to be honest. Does it still deserve a place on a list of top FPS titles? Absolutely, as a title in its day that redefined what a console FPS could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I think what we have is a fairly definitive list of the top 100 FPS games but then up to you to adjust to your preferences to give your ideal list
    what people should be looking for is omissions to the list order

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,181 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Maybe because ODST came with the complete Halo 3 MP including DLC? That's the only reason I can think of because ODST as a single player game was incredibly mediocre.

Yeah that could very well be it. I didn't mind ODST's single player too much but it wasn't a patch on the Halo 3 campaign (imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Banjo wrote: »
    Deus Ex is not a shooter.

The game was conceived as a FPS/RPS/Stealth hybrid. How does it not quaify as a shooter?

deusex_bemutato_05.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I haven't played many of the games on that list to honest, but I did notice that Far Cry 2 which is on that list. The only game I've ever returned the same day purchasing it, awful awful game.

Advertisement