Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Avensis 2.2 D-4D, be careful

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

dh0011 wrote: »
    The 1.6 burned a bit of oil but this was before the new avensis came out in 2003 so thats a good while ago. Toyota to their credit sorted the problem when cars burnt oil by fixing the design flaw and replacing engines with a problem even when they had a lot of miles done.

I have been in avensis taxis with over 400K miles on the clock - this is largely why i bought an avensis myself. The fact that taxi drivers with massive miles on the cars choose to go for the avensis time and time again also speaks to their bulletproof nature.

I would agree with the last post that there are lots of other good cars on the road. If dgt reads this he can vouch for the 406.

Excessive oil burning effected 1.8 litre engines also including those sold in the early MkIII Avensis and last model Celica.

Toyota will start using BMW N47 diesel engines in their cars from next year replacing the 2.0 and 2.2 D-4D. In return BMW will use Toyota Hybrid technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yaaaay! Now toyota can add its name to the list of manufacturers selling the 1.6 HDI

That'd be

Toyota
    Ford
    Mini
    Mazda
    Peugeot
    Citroen
    Fiat
    Volvo
    Suzuki
    I'd be surprised if Fiat are using the HDI in the Scudo, in everything else it's their own 1.6 multijet, which is a better engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

The 2 litre is no angel either.

2.0 & 2.2 are essentially the same engine, just different capacities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭flutered

has any one tried out the new head gasket repair stuff advailable from the motor factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sumo12 wrote: »
    2.0 & 2.2 are essentially the same engine, just different capacities.

Essentially yes, but still different and the 2.2 is def less reliable and prone to these problems

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Toyotas are a priest's car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Toyotas are a priest's car.

Yeah true all the priests are out driving supras nowadays and gt86.

Vw and audis and BMW are scumbags cars.( not saying anyone on here that owns them are)
    Every scrote around my area either drives a BMW, a golf or bora or an Audi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Cars are for dickheads, motorbikes are for knobs, walking is for idiots, trucks are for murderers, pedal bikes are for ignorant people.... anything else we need to tar?

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    anything else we need to tar?

Toyotas are also OAP, social welfare recipient & taliban cars.

Every scrote around my area either drives a BMW, a golf or bora or an Audi

Even scrotes know not to be seen in a Toyota.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭RedDeadMarshal

I know this is quite old but I lose coolant in my 2.2 d4d and I have no temperature gauge since mine is a verso. There is no head gasket issues but I keep losing coolant like the op said. What's the problem? Unless steam from the exhaust counts as a head gasket issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

This thread is an example of the head gasket issue I mentioned on your other thread. Best advice would be go to a toyota main dealer (or very good mechanic) for diagnosis. Once they tell you whats wrong get quotes from them and your normal local mechanic. Then decide who to go with. The main dealer will probably charge for diagnostics.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please don't bring up other threads when you have one already. You can refer to this in your other thread if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Uppercut Lance

I heard they resolved the head gasket issue with the 2.2 engines in 09. Can't find any evidence on the net however. Can anyone confirm?

A worried 2.2 Diesel owner!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

dh0011 wrote: »
    Turns out hondas are the best, toyta are second. All these people who like knocking toyota focus in on a handful of faults over the last few decades and ignore the vast majority of their cars which are bulletproof.

x2

Had a few Corollas & Civics in my time, the Honda's were better looking, better handling, better built and gave less bother in my experience, I would go back to Honda in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fahafiz

I heard they resolved the head gasket issue with the 2.2 engines in 09.  Can't find any evidence on the net however. Can anyone confirm?

A worried 2.2 Diesel owner!
    Hi - sorry to re-open an old post - but did you get a response on this? Are the 2009 2.2 D4D more reliable?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement