Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Experia Z1 opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Inquitus wrote: »
    Vodafone Bill Pay Z1
    Bootlocker unlock allowed:
    No

Unlocked bootloader on my wife's Z1 (on three network)

Bean hearing Sony warned about messing around the bootloader, said the camera will stop working or something along those lines

Edit: link here:
    http://androidcommunity.com/sony-xperia-z1-unlocked-bootloader-camera-issue-confirmed-20130919/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

OSI wrote: »
    Meteor - Bootloader unlock allowed: Yes

What? I got the same tarriff at the same price for 2 years on Meteor. How'd did you end up with a 3 year one!!

Pretty interesting question I think ,
    Have to pop back into the shop tomorrow and ask

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Just got an email from cpw €49 pm for the Z1 free handset on meteor. Nice deal... Is the Z even free on any of the similar network tariffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

How long is the contract for and do you get 4G on this tariff with Meteor? Also, do you get the camera attachment?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

How long is the contract for and do you get 4G on this tariff with Meteor? Also, do you get the camera attachment?
    2 years, 4G included. Free bits, case and a juice pack, but no camera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Xers

Vodafone Bill Pay Z1
    Bootlocker unlock allowed:
    No

as always they wont allow you to unlock... so no to vodafone z1....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

2 years, 4G included. Free bits, case and a juice pack, but no camera

In some cases its a 3 year contract

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I got one:

Positives:

Versus my Xperia Z
    - Better Screen
    - Better shape, angular edges as opposed to hard right angles means it sits really well in the hand
    - Waterproof headphone socket no longer has latch as per Xperia Z

General
    - Battery Life, massive 3000Mah battery which really lasts and lasts
    - Snapdragon 800 Soc
    - Aesthetically pleasing, right up there with the HTC One in terms of best Android design
    - Build Quality is top notch
    - Waterproof, means alot to me as a cyclist

Negatives:

None yet

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Atticus Jung

Just got mine and im delighted. +1 to all the other reviews for build quality, screen and camera. No cons as of yet. Can anyone recommend a decent case or are ye going commando?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I got one:

Positives:

Versus my Xperia Z
    - Better Screen
    - Better shape, angular edges as opposed to hard right angles means it sits really well in the hand
    - Waterproof headphone socket no longer has latch as per Xperia Z

General
    - Battery Life, massive 3000Mah battery which really lasts and lasts
    - Snapdragon 800 Soc
    - Aesthetically pleasing, right up there with the HTC One in terms of best Android design
    - Build Quality is top notch
    - Waterproof, means alot to me as a cyclist

Negatives:

None yet

I'd agree with all of the above, except:

Negatives:
    - Speaker sound quality is below that of HTC phones

I bought mine on Thursday and I'm still finding new features that I didn't know it has, I'd always overlook Sony Phones in the past but I'm entirely impressed with this one.

€39/month, unlimited calls and texts, 5Gb data, 4G, 24 months, eMobile.

• Advertisement

Can anyone recommend a decent case or are ye going commando?

All the cases I saw were fairly flimsy, lots of flip style cases but nothing that seems like it would benefit the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Does anyone know where I can get the camera free if I buy it on prepay. I'm in vodafone BTW.

Does anyone know where I can get the camera free if I buy it on prepay. I'm in vodafone BTW.

Try three, I'm hearing of people going in a week after the offer and still getting it. Don't know if they do it for prepay...

http://www.vodafone.ie/offers/sony-xperia-z1-free-lens

Just got mine and im delighted. +1 to all the other reviews for build quality, screen and camera. No cons as of yet. Can anyone recommend a decent case or are ye going commando?

this one nice... i had a hard case for Xperia S from them... this one looks ok... good reviews for Nilkkin - affordable ... buy from their ebay..

http://www.nillkin.com/english/proshow.asp?mid=2&sid=0&tid=0&cid=1&scid=13&id=3606&page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Went into e mobile today to buy a Z1 on bill pay
    They didn't have any in stock but rang to get one sent to the shop
    when the sales guy was finished on the phone he advised me not to get the Z1 as his manager said that there is problems with them and e mobile are getting a lot of them returned.
    Anybody else hear of problems with the Z1

Went into e mobile today to buy a Z1 on bill pay
    They didn't have any in stock but rang to get one sent to the shop
    when the sales guy was finished on the phone he advised me not to get the Z1 as his manager said that there is problems with them and e mobile are getting a lot of them returned.
    Anybody else hear of problems with the Z1

Wife's is fine, only hick up was a few icons going missing on the desktop but that's about it. She has it a few weeks now and loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Chris Dolmeth

god's toy wrote: »
    ... only hick up was a few icons....
    lol, never saw it spelled that way before.

I was thinking that but I had told him that I was considering a 5s from apple (when they become available) or the Z1.
    he didn't try to sell me any other Phone but advised me that according to his boss (who he had just called) that the Z1s were giving trouble.
    The issues were with the screen and Reception quality and that his boss in the other store had several returned to him including one from his wife.

so I gather that nobody else has had any real issues with the Z1 and would recommend them as an alternative to the 5s

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭matzen

I've had it for about 11 days now and it took a while to get used to the inferior viewing angles on the screen. Saw on xda that loads of people have issued with a yellow tint and/or black parts not showing correctly. I haven't seen any of that on my unit. I've had Samsung devices for the past two years so it does take some time to get used to a screen that isn't S-LED. What is great about the screen is the outdoor visibility. Even at brightness set to 50 the screen is clearly visible, something which was not possible on the Samsung devices.

Out of the box the sound quality is not as good as on Samsung phones. But that has been remedied by adding a sound module to the xposed installer app.

Can't really give an opinion on the camera. The shots seem to be fine - for a phone camera, that is.

All in all a great phone. I'd recommend rooting it for three reasons:
    1. It's really easy to root using the kingoapp tool.
    2. Allows you to use apps such as Titanium Back, AutomateIt, Foldersync, Foldermount, xposed installer, etc.
    3. Rooting does not void that warranty.

• Advertisement

Yes viewing angles are nowhere near as good as amoleds screens but I wouldn't say that' a fault, it's just the way of Sony screens on the last few phones. looking directly on the images are nice, reds blues and greens pop! Also because of the waterproof nature of the phone the sound quality on the mic and speaker can suffer a little I suppose but wife sound fine to me.
    lol, never saw it spelled that way before.

Oh err I mean, ketchup!

Thanks for the replies guys
    Got the Z1 in the post yesterday through the Eircom bundle
    When I was looking at the phone in the shops I was concerned about the size as it seem a bit to big in my hand but now I have it other phones seem too small
    One small feature I think is invaluable is the lanyard holes such a simple thing that over the years has saved many of my phones from hitting the ground.

Thanks for the replies guys
    Got the Z1 in the post yesterday through the Eircom bundle
    When I was looking at the phone in the shops I was concerned about the size as it seem a bit to big in my hand but now I have it other phones seem too small
    One small feature I think is invaluable is the lanyard holes such a simple thing that over the years has saved many of my phones from hitting the ground.

The iphone feels like a toy after having the xperia for a few days.

The iphone feels like a toy after having the xperia for a few days.

I agree, I really like my new Xperia Z1, better image quality than the HTC One X I had before, but the sound quality isn't a patch on the HTC One X, which is two years old!

Dermighty wrote: »
    I agree, I really like my new Xperia Z1, better image quality than the HTC One X I had before, but the sound quality isn't a patch on the HTC One X, which is two years old!

Do you mean speakers or earphones? Sound quality for me is excellent with earphones, speakers aren't great but i wouldn't use speakers except to tell me when the phone is ringing.

Do you mean speakers or earphones? Sound quality for me is excellent with earphones, speakers aren't great but i wouldn't use speakers except to tell me when the phone is ringing.

Speakers, the bundled earphones are great, but the microphone pics up on everything around me instead of my voice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I don't use the speaker for anything myself either bar hearing the phone ring. The best speaker I have ever had though was the Galaxy Note 2, that thing could wake the dead!

I don't use the speaker for anything myself either bar hearing the phone ring. The best speaker I have ever had though was the Galaxy Note 2, that thing could wake the dead!

In terms of power I don't know which one is best but the HTC definitely had sound quality in the bag, I believe the HTC One has amazing sound, though I didn't think the phone was enough of an upgrade over my One X to get it as an upgrade. The Xperia has it all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Is the battery any improvement over the One-X?

• Advertisement

Is the battery any improvement over the One-X?

Xperia Z1 has much better battery life than the One X, but it's still only ok. I mean I listen to music for anhour or two each day and browse the web, use the camera, emails etc etc and I get the full day out of it no problem and probably half the next day really.

Advertisement