Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Experia Z1 opinions

Options
  • 10-09-2013 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Im thinking this going to be a great phone, and with the free lens attachment its going to be a great camera too. I'm usually wrong so just wondering if anyone has an opinion on how good it actually is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭new_maniac

It's a great looking smartphone with great specs, and if you can get one of those wireless lenses free, it could make a pretty awesome camera too. The only thing is that you'd need to make sure you could justify the camera side of it because that seems to be the main draw, i don't use cameras very much so it wouldn't be for me

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Atticus Jung

Cheers, i think the camera is what is pushing it ahead of the HTC one on my shopping list. The build quality probably wont compare to the HTC but the camera will be amazing for a smart phone.

I wouldn't be so sure about the build quality, the Z1 is designed to go anywhere (waterproof, shockproof ect), i think it'll be comparable in build to the HTC One, if not better

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If I can get one bootloader unlocked in 6 months I might. But not with Sony firmware.

ED E wrote: »
    If I can get one bootloader unlocked in 6 months I might. But not with Sony firmware.

Is their firmware bad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

I'm usually wrong .

That's the spirit! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I have never used a Sony so I can't really say but I have heard that their firmware is a little clunky and you can't unlock the bootloader to install custom roms.

nedd wrote: »
    I have never used a Sony so I can't really say but I have heard that their firmware is a little clunky and you can't unlock the bootloader to install custom roms.

That's a little annoying, it like they're trying to 'Apple' the Android OS :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

new_maniac wrote: »
    Is their firmware bad?

Nearly every release has some super frustrating bug. And is 3 months late. Just annoying as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

nedd wrote: »

You can unlock the bootloader on some models.

Carrier bought ones usually lock the bootloaders for some reason.
    http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com

I've never noticed a major bug that I can remember on a Sony phone either.

I've had several going back to pre-android.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I'm using a Z and never had problems, that said i have no interest in bootloaders/custom roms as i think sonys firmware is the least intrusive of all the branded firmwares.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm using a Z and never had problems, that said i have no interest in bootloaders/custom roms as i think sonys firmware is the least intrusive of all the branded firmwares.
    I echo that sentiment - no noticeable issues with my Z, it's a great phone IMO. I'd expect the Z1 to be better.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Is it worth taking a 24 month contract out on.
    Just been offered one on an upgrade.

I like my Sonys.Have a T at the minute that's been trouble free and a decent phone but would like a larger screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Is it worth taking a 24 month contract out on.
    Just been offered one on an upgrade.

I like my Sonys.Have a T at the minute that's been trouble free and a decent phone but would like a larger screen.

If your ok with the size of the thing, id say go for it.

Loving my Z after upgrading from the S but I think the Z1 screen would be too big for me.

Nice camera on it I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭batistuta9

same size are they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Three are giving QX lens with the phone. Don't know if they all doing the same...but wife just rang to ask "is that good?" "should I upgrade? "I said yes! (me wants to play with the Lens!.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

i just watched the review video on the Android Central website and the reviewer guy was saying in the two days they had the phone it crashed one day, and they found another bug within the software of it.

I think ill get the Note 3 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

I look at it this way.

The Xperia T, the precursor flagship model to the Z and released exactly this time last year , is now about €200-€250 or thereabouts on Adverts (bit more on Amazon but how and ever). The thought of the Z being this price next year is certainly inviting.

If compared to the Z1 with its kickass camera capabilities and the added spice of the interchangeable lenses, it may be more difficult for the price to go down as fast which would turn me towards waiting for the Z to come down further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Wife picked up hers today. snappy as a mofo!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I just ordered one of these off Voda today, picked it over the Note 3, mainly on account of the free QX10 lens that comes with it in their online offer.

Both cracking phones, don't think there is much in it. I had a Note 2 and the size didn't bother me, in fact I liked it, on the flipside I am a keen cyclist and the waterproof aspect of the Z1 is something I reall appreciate in my current Xperia Z.

Impatience was also a factor, one I can get today, t'other not for a few weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

When will vodafone have the N3 in stock?

Also, given the snazzy back place on the N3 and new bezel all the way round the perimeter of the phone is there a need for a cover to protect against falls?

I used to be a big fan of screen savers and phone covers but I ditched the screen saver for my N2 as it was just clouding the screen and the gorilla glass seems to have done a great job over the last 12 months. a quick wipe and it's 100% clean and crystal clear again.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 14,701 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Anyone come across a good value contract with the Z1?
    Cheapest I could see was with Emobile.
    To buy it on prepay was pretty costly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Panthro wrote: »
    Anyone come across a good value contract with the Z1?
    Cheapest I could see was with Emobile.
    To buy it on prepay was pretty costly.

I got a 24 month eMobile contract under their Eircom landline soecial offer.

Each Eircom landline can have 5 eMobile contracts assigned to it, so if you known anyone with, or have one yourself, then you can avail of it. One of the 5 contracts is charged €24/month for the first 6 months after that it's 39 a month for 10,000 texts, 45,000 minutes and 5Gb data. They also have 4G activated (granted in certain areas).

The Xperia Z1 costs €69 on this contract, i traded in a HTC One X and got 100 trade in value so the phone cost me -€31 euro, so they gave me a Nokia portable USB charger (supposedly holds 3 full charges in it).

Overall I'm very happy, the phone is cool and the contract is great value. Quite disappoint that Meteor didn't bother their arse offering me anything, it's only too bad that eMobile and Meteor have the same parent company, because I would have liked to take my business from Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Picked one up for the missus last week on meteor
    49 pm 3 year contract unlimited calls and texts 4gb data (miserable imo) and 4G ,
    Awesome phone and specs thought I was the bee knees with my nexus 7 ,
    Has anyone got the lens or found a decent case yet ,
    Otterbox isnt doing one according to there Fb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Gatling wrote: »
    Picked one up for the missus last week on meteor
    49 pm 3 year contract unlimited calls and texts 4gb data (miserable imo) and 4G ,
    Awesome phone and specs thought I was the bee knees with my nexus 7 ,
    Has anyone got the lens or found a decent case yet ,
    Otterbox isnt doing one according to there Fb

They have 3 year contracts now ?? fook.

I'm due an upgrade in 2 weeks and have being courting android devices for the past 2 months, HTC one and S4. Contemplating one of these if I can get the camera with it. Was looking at getting a note 3 but they feel.just a bit too big for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They have 3 year contracts now ?? fook.

Yes they do and I'll have to wait for the Z3 in 2016 :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Xers

Any Xperia Z1 owner who wouldnt mind checking this for me please ... from dialer *#*#7378423#*#* (to know carrier bought z1's bootloader status).. vodafone preferably.... and Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. just post status there Yes or No for bootloader... Thanx a lot....

Xers wrote: »
    Any Xperia Z1 owner who wouldnt mind checking this for me please ... from dialer *#*#7378423#*#* (to know carrier bought z1's bootloader status).. vodafone preferably.... and Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. just post status there Yes or No for bootloader... Thanx a lot....

Vodafone Bill Pay Z1
    Bootlocker unlock allowed:
    No

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Chris Dolmeth

3 years is cray-cray.

• Advertisement

Phones a good bit of kit, screen is an improvement on the Xperia Z, the ergonomics are much better, the fact the edges are rounded to a degree makes it sit in the hand much better.

The Soc is superfast, very, very responsive. The new waterproof headphone socket that doesn't require the unpicking of a latch is a nice change too. Not really taken any pics yet, so no comment on the camera.

Battery life seems excellent, 10 hours of medium plus usage today as I am still messing alot due to the shiney factor and it has 65% left still. I really like the Aesthetics, its right up there with the HTC One fighting for the crown of nicest looking Android device ever crafted. No bugs yet bar a reboot when I was using Sony Music Ultimate, but the app is an epic piece of crap so I'll blame that, has caused grief on every device I ever installed it on, I keep forgetting to cancel my sub after the 6 months free I got.

No comment on the Sony skin I immediately added Nova Launcher!

Advertisement