Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Servicing Riello RDB2 Boiler

Options
  • 09-09-2013 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭

I just give me Riello RDB2 burner a service today - well a mini one anyway. I got to the Electrodes and Jet and cleaned off all the carbon and cleaned it all up nice and shiny adjust the electrodes up a bit t0 2.5mm the gap was a bit wide, cleaned the fan, that was cobwebby and rusty, took out the photocell and give that a wipe and adjusted the secondary air damper from 4 to 5.5. - is there any other bits I can do or clean to service it? or should that be enough?
    I noticed when I had apart the main air damper chamber that the part where the blokes finger is pointing to in this picture is missing on my burner, I dont know why, but is it important to have that part there? - its been working without it up to now anyways.

271013.jpg
    Whilst the burner was out of the boiler i fired her up - I know you cant tell without proper flue gas analyser equipment etc but does the flame look healthy enough on this video do you reckon:

Thanks

WARNING TO OTHERS: For safety Please do not operate the burner, as I have outside of the boiler - and do not adjust any fuel air ratio or any other settings of the burner if not qualified to do so

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

I just give me Riello RDB2 burner a service today - well a mini one anyway. I got to the Electrodes and Jet and cleaned off all the carbon and cleaned it all up nice and shiny adjust the electrodes up a bit t0 2.5mm the gap was a bit wide, cleaned the fan, that was cobwebby and rusty, took out the photocell and give that a wipe and adjusted the secondary air damper from 4 to 5.5. - is there any other bits I can do or clean to service it? or should that be enough?
    I noticed when I had apart the main air damper chamber that the part where the blokes finger is pointing to in this picture is missing on my burner, I dont know why, but is it important to have that part there? - its been working without it up to now anyways.
    Fullscreen capture 09092013 182310.jpg
    Whilst the burner was out of the boiler i fired her up - I know you cant tell without proper flue gas analyser equipment etc but does the flame look healthy enough on this video do you reckon:

Thanks

Why did you change the air settings.Did you do anything with the oil pressure change it check it.
    As you mention it's impossible to tell without FGA so then why touch it.
    If your air settings/oil pressure / nozzle are wrong as well as a few other things you can cause more damage than good to boiler and burner

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Why did you change the air settings.Did you do anything with the oil pressure change it check it.
    As you mention it's impossible to tell without FGA so then why touch it.
    If your air settings/oil pressure / nozzle are wrong as well as a few other things you can cause more damage than good to boiler and burner

Ah right, no I just changed the air settings to 5.5 as stated from the Riello specifications on their website for that particular burner. Its supposed to leave factory at 8bar pressure and 5.5 air damper adjustment. Maybe i should put it back to how it was at 4 then then ...

qxXAJeCR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Ah right, no I just changed the air settings to 5.5 as stated from the Riello specifications on their website for that particular burner. Its supposed to leave factory at 8bar pressure and 5.5 air damper adjustment. Maybe i should put it back to how it was at 4 then then ...
    The thing is no installation is the same as the factory.
    Your boiler is an outside boiler sitting in the open to all the elements they couldn't setup the boiler in the same enviroment that's why it should be commissioned and serviced on site to the enviroment that there and setup accordingly.
    So I couldn't tell you what it needs to be at.
    You have two options
    Put the air setting back to what it was and hope for the best and see if everything's ok and boiler will run ok and not smoke the place out.
    Call in someone to setup and check boiler with FGA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

FFS put a new jet in it. That's awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Fullscreen capture 09092013 182310.jpg

Thanks

Clown!!

• Advertisement

whizbang wrote: »
    FFS put a new jet in it. That's awful.

Thanks yes, was thinking of putting in a new jet - have ordered one from heat-tech for a tenner delivered ..

mind you in the video where the flame is pointing downwards could be just wind because when I fired burner up out of boiler there was a very slight wind, this might have pushed flame down, but I have ordered and fit a new nozzle in any case ..

Clown!!

nope - its not a clown its a Riello burner!

Just to clarify clown would be in reference to yourself and not the burner you are interfering with.

When you have to seek help like you have you would then have to accept your beyond your own limits.

I think your dangerous.

gary71 wrote: »
    Just to clarify clown would be in reference to yourself and not the burner you are interfering with.

When you have to seek help like you have you would then have to accept your beyond your own limits.

I think your dangerous.

oh right - ok. I havent done anything major I've only adjusted the air damper cleaned the photocell and cleaned the electrodes haven't touched the pump pressure setting ... whats dangerous about that?

Clown!!

I dunno what you get out of name calling fella :( - if thats your idea of a constructive answer then i'm not interested in your help. Im just trying to save a bit of money by cleaning it myself because the oil men charge a fortune to come out and service them and i quite enjoyed doing it meself, obviously if it was a big job and a dangerous job i would get in a service guy. ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

because even slight changes in the air/fuel mixture can generate carbon monoxide. You have changed yours by nearly 40%

Aside from the other safety concerns, This will cost you more than a service callout, in oil consumption alone.

whizbang wrote: »
    because even slight changes in the air/fuel mixture can generate carbon monoxide. You have changed yours by nearly 40%

Aside from the other safety concerns, This will cost you more than a service callout, in oil consumption alone.

outside boiler, have i still got to worry about carbon monoxide poisoning? - if i put secondary air damper back to its previous setting will it still be changed by 40% - opening up the damper which is what i done would allow more air in would that use more oil? - im not being sarcastic or disputing you but just trying to see how that could use more oil without adjusting the oil pump pressure... unless of course the more air mix would mean cooler flame and use more oil to heat up the boiler cause the flame isnt as hot?

You now need the services of an oil service technician with a FGA in order to set up the burner correctly, just the fact that your having to ask stupid questions that we know the answers to should tell you that you should not have touched it. And anyone who would pull a burner out of the combustion chamber and fire it in order to determine weather the flame picture is correct can only be seen as a clown in my book, you are a danger to yourself and all around you.

Hope that's a help.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

I agree with billy.as for can co be harmful in a cabin pack.co can come in through a window or a vent.to set air in the boiler is a guess without a fga

oh well you win - I am not the first 'clown' to do that and i certainly wont be the last i get what your saying but you could have said it all in a decent way without the name calling, im just glad i dont live down your way and have you as my boiler service guy, not with your attitude ... in fact if i did i would even get an engineer out of the area rather than have to call you out with your attitude ... mind you i am presuming you are a proper heating engineer Billy Bunting? -

oh well you win - I am not the first 'clown' to do that and i certainly wont be the last i get what your saying but you could have said it all in a decent way without the name calling, im just glad i dont live down your way and have you as my boiler service guy, not with your attitude ... in fact if i did i would even get an engineer out of the area rather than have to call you out with your attitude ... mind you i am presuming you are a proper heating engineer Billy Bunting? -

You presume correctly. Now that you’ve seen the errors of your way let me apologies for my abruptness but I just do not like DIY’ers who not only play with things they know little or nothing about in a dangerous manner but they also seem to think they’re smart to broadcast their inabilities on a public forum for any other Clown who thinks they can save a pound to follow suit, let your experiences be a lesson to those reading this, servicing a boiler needs someone with the correct equipment, knowledge, and insurance to do it correctly and safely.

You presume correctly. Now that you’ve seen the errors of your way let me apologies for my abruptness but I just do not like DIY’ers who not only play with things they know little or nothing about in a dangerous manner but they also seem to think they’re smart to broadcast their inabilities on a public forum for any other Clown who thinks they can save a pound to follow suit, let your experiences be a lesson to those reading this, servicing a boiler needs someone with the correct equipment, knowledge, and insurance to do it correctly and safely.

i aint learnt the errors of my ways, it wont stop me fiddling with stuff and trying to save money either and i have got some knowledge - your predicting i and people like me have no knowledge at all and that you and people like you are god! - but thanks anyway for your unhelpful lecture ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

i aint learnt the errors of my ways, it wont stop me fiddling with stuff and trying to save money either and i have got some knowledge - your predicting i and people like me have no knowledge at all and that you and people like you are god! - but thanks anyway for your unhelpful lecture ...
    It's not what you think you know is the danger, it's what you don't know. And as a DIY'er, how do you know what you don't know?

i aint learnt the errors of my ways, it wont stop me fiddling with stuff

Mmm Clown! i rest my case.

It's unfortunate but we spend far too much time picking up the pieces of people like you fiddling with stuff, and if we don't get to you in time its normally the Paramedics left then to do the picking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

It's unfortunate but we spend far too much time picking up the pieces of people like you fiddling with stuff, and if we don't get to you in time its normally the Paramedics left then to do the picking up.

Get off the horse, Billy. You are compounding the OP's issues by being dismissive and arrogant:mad:. Courtesy costs nowt, you know;).

• Advertisement

Get off the horse, Billy. You are compounding the OP's issues by being dismissive and arrogant:mad:. Courtesy costs nowt, you know;).

Get off the horse please I’m sure you meant. ;) And I don’t make any apology for being dismissive when the OP is looking for assistance in endangering his and God knows who else’s life when he is fiddling with stuff that he knows nothing or very little about just so he can attempt to save a pound. :mad:

I think your going way too far over the top and blowing it all out of proportion if I say so myself. I only asked what people thought about the look of the flame and I would have thought someone who has the knowledge would have said to me "the shape of the flame dont look right" or the "colour of the flame dont look right" or "the flame should extend out more than that" not give a lecture and scaremonger about "you clown! - you shouldnt mess around with those things you and those around you are in danger of dying from carbon monoxide fumes or burn yourself alive cause I operated it out of the boiler" - in one way its comical of how over the top your going! - I bet you never take chances in life or do anything dangerous or muck about with something you shouldnt dont ya Billy? eh?

Scaremongering, a word always from the lips of the least experienced, funny that.

Why would you want to take a risk even a small one???

I can't answer for other engineers but I never take risks or chances with safety(even small ones) because I know the cost if its wrong, do you?, risk assment is paramount when working on appliances as it should be, it's all about safety, safety, safety a thing you have missed OP.

Sometimes the smallest mistake leads to the biggest cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

What is also missed here is that somebody will Google how to service a Riello & comes across this thread showing a video of a burner being fired outside the combustion chamber.
    They may repeat it. Perhaps they are not as "safety conscious" as you are & they may burn themselves alive or worse still the child standing beside them watching or the house gets burnt down.

But then they will read on & see how you have been told unless you are competent person (suitably trained, suitably certified & suitably experienced), they may not attempt it.
    They may also realise that if they do, somebody may have to arrive on a big white horse to clean up the mess left by them.
    But then again, some people just never learn & will copy your wonderful advice.

Btw nobody will give you advice on flame picture or anything else as nobody wants to promote stupidity.

Just remember stars cannot shine without darkness so perhaps it is best to leave the flame inside the combustion chamber where it belongs & adjust the flame picture with a FGA!

I only asked what people thought about the look of the flame and I would have thought someone who has the knowledge would have said to me "the shape of the flame dont look right" or the "colour of the flame dont look right" or "the flame should extend out more than that" not give a lecture and scaremonger

And just how would you know what that flame picture looks like when inside the combustion chamber and not surrounded by air outside ???

We know because we use an Analyser.

shane0007 wrote: »
    What is also missed here is that somebody will Google how to service a Riello & comes across this thread showing a video of a burner being fired outside the combustion chamber.
    They may repeat it. Perhaps they are not as "safety conscious" as you are & they may burn themselves alive or worse still the child standing beside them watching or the house gets burnt down.

Thanks, it wasnt my intention to put it up on here for others to try themselves but I can see where your coming from, some people might not be as careful as me and stand a child in front of the flame or point the flame towards their house therefore burning the house down - I shall put a warning on the first post in this thread about "dont do this at home!"

If people are curious and want to know what a burner looks like in operation in the open air anyway there are plenty of videos on youtube of people with a burner out in the open running for them to look at.

And just how would you know what that flame picture looks like when inside the combustion chamber and not surrounded by air outside ???

We know because we use an Analyser.

and theres an inspection window in the boiler itself , just saying ......

You cannot see CO, CO2, O2, XS Air, Flue temperature, Efficiency, blah! blah! blah!

Your just "fiddling" and should realise you can only think its fine, you wont know for sure its not going to cost you or kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

and theres an inspection window in the boiler itself , just saying ......

Theres also place to put your fga on most oil boilers.even ones with glass

• Advertisement

You cannot see CO, CO2, O2, XS Air, Flue temperature, Efficiency, blah! blah! blah!

Your just "fiddling" and should realise you can only think its fine, you wont know for sure its not going to cost you or kill you.

can we just get something straight please so we are on the same page - the only thing i 'fiddled' with is I changed the secondary air damper setting from 4 to 5.5 thus giving the air fuel ratio more air, - i have never and will not ever adjust the oil pump pressure screw, that i would leave to a engineer with an FGA . so if I put the air damper set point back to 4 the boiler will be back to running just how it has before? - do you agree? - if you do agree how have I jeopardised the boilers/burners safety?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement