Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSP - Bluetooth Watch Development System €37.50 Delivered [Texas Instruments]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Del007 wrote: »
    What is it? I've ordered 4 items and I've no idea what they are. I love this company :)

It's a component. I think you'd use it if you were interested in designing a docking station for the watch.

Feck it, it's free. I'm getting one.

Data sheet here: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/hd3ss2521.pdf

To be honest, it's useless unless you've experience in electronic engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Its a chip! Don't ask for a free sample unless you know how to build a circuit board to use it!

Specifically it's a controller to allow a laptop to offer a DockPort connection. This is a new upcoming connection that allows for a single connection to output usb 3.0, enough displayport bandwidth to power 4 monitors and also to input power to laptop. All pretty cool :D

So, I would be astonished if this was of any use to anyone on this thread - lets not make ejits of ourselves by ordering one!

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/31/ti-intros-single-chip-dockport-technology/

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/05/24/amd-finally-puts-dock-port-on-a-device/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqtVRPZSqvI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭Del007

It's a component. I think you'd use it if you were interested in designing a docking station for the watch.

Feck it, it's free. I'm getting one.

Data sheet here: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/hd3ss2521.pdf

To be honest, it's useless unless you've experience in electronic engineering.

I thought it Was an extra cable to charge the phone. Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Anybody find resources on how to start developing for this thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

I'm liking this watch. Nice styling and the alerts for an incoming call, email or sms work perfectly.

The only thing I can't work out is the button function.
    Double tap on the middle one brings up your widgets.
    Bottom one brings up the bluetooth, refresh, link alarm which is toggled on or off with the top button. There's also settings for some things called RST, NMI and SSP(Beta) which I have no idea about. Anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Absolutely love it, haven't wore a watch for 20 years, gonna wear this. It notifies for everything. Viber, Whatsapp, futmob, twitter etc. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Update: Hangouts don't work, Things go apesh1t after a missed call. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ozmo

Pique wrote: »
    There's also settings for some things called RST, NMI and SSP(Beta) which I have no idea about. Anyone else?

Just a guess from past experience but...

RST is usually short for Reset.

NMI is usually short for Non Maskable Interrupt (kinda like a ctrl-alt-delete) a hardware button that can stop the cpu and get it to do some other task and no other software can prevent it happening.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

beno619 wrote: »
    Anybody find resources on how to start developing for this thing ?

Download Eclipse 4, not later ones, since Code Composer only works with 4.0
    http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/

Download Android SDK & Eclipse Plugin
    http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Download Code Composer Studio for MSP430
    http://www.ti.com/tool/ccstudio

Clone MWatch2 git repo for the firmware
    https://github.com/MetaWatchOpenProjects/MetaWatch-Gen2

Clone the git repo for MWM (this is the fork of community edition)
    https://github.com/benjymous/MWM-for-Android

Learn Java & C...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

Mine arrived this morning :-)
    Plug it in and forget about it until I get home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭NTC

niallb wrote: »
    Mine arrived this morning :-)
    Plug it in and forget about it until I get home!

as there a customs charge?

NTC wrote: »
    as there a customs charge?

Nope... shipped from NL

Killed mine yesterday after setting up the development environment :/

Installed a few widgets through community edition and then lost both displays and eventually the hand stopped moving.

Pebble on the way though, same though as the Analogue Meta watch is the classiest looking smartwatch of the lot.

Did you try the reset from the flashing software?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

I'm having issues with the actual watch. Have all the notifications working as I want, but the time is incorrect; the watch loses 3-4 mins an hour.
    Anyone else? Any suggestions on how to fix?
    It's fully charged and set up using the instructions in post #122

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Mine loses time too, fairly randomly. Haven't flashed it yet though.

kellsred wrote: »
    I'm having issues with the actual watch. Have all the notifications working as I want, but the time is incorrect; the watch loses 3-4 mins an hour.

Reflash 3.1 & reset

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

gerryk wrote: »
    Reflash 3.1 & reset

The analog part of the watch is separate from the lcd. If the analog watch is losing time it could need a new battery - These watches were developed in 2011 and have probably sitting in a box since.

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    The analog part of the watch is separate from the lcd. If the analog watch is losing time it could need a new battery - These watches were developed in 2011 and have probably sitting in a box since.

One possibility. However I have noticed that if the watch loses connection with the phone for extended periods, it can hang briefly before resetting. This can cause time loss too.
    My most recent reflash has eliminated this behaviour though.

gerryk wrote: »
    One possibility. However I have noticed that if the watch loses connection with the phone for extended periods, it can hang briefly before resetting. This can cause time loss too.
    My most recent reflash has eliminated this behaviour though.

You're talking about the LCD time so? I cant see how the pairing to a phone could have any influence on the hands.

• Advertisement

You're talking about the LCD time so? I cant see how the pairing to a phone could have any influence on the hands.

Nope... Hands too. It's not the pairing that causes the problem, but the software on the watch hanging briefly.

Whats interesting is that the software can have control over the analog arms - one of the test suite uses this in couple of tests. Though tbh I can't quite follow what the tests are designed to do, I'd expect it to have one test that says reset arms to digital time but it doesn't. It looks like maybe the software doesn't inherently know the current position of the arms and so you need to reset to a known position before the fact it can move the arms becomes useful.

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Did you try the reset from the flashing software?

Yep tried resetting and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

Has anybody gotten this to work with an iphone?

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Whats interesting is that the software can have control over the analog arms - one of the test suite uses this in couple of tests. Though tbh I can't quite follow what the tests are designed to do, I'd expect it to have one test that says reset arms to digital time but it doesn't. It looks like maybe the software doesn't inherently know the current position of the arms and so you need to reset to a known position before the fact it can move the arms becomes useful.

I take what I said earlier back.

I had to take the watch apart this evening to fix the bottom button. The clip that retains it had come off and it was falling out.

The battery in the watch is a rechargeable LiPo battery. There is no separate battery for the analog dials. It seems that if the LiPo drains completely your analog arms have nowhere to draw energy from.

The winder is connected to the main board but I couldn't see any way for it to turn the winder.

Lots of tiny components and even smaller screws...

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

The hands on mine don't work at all. Everything else works though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Got a call this morning about the watch, refund due in two-three weeks, happy days.

Got a call this morning about the watch, refund due in two-three weeks, happy days.

Did you just email them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

beno619 wrote: »
    Did you just email them ?

Yeah, used the email posted a page or two back. The bottom display is barely visable, even in pitch black, so just thought I'd fire over an email. I asked for a new one but he said they couldn't but would refund it and let me keep the watch. I have a feeling alot of them were dodgy, hence the price and willingness to refund so quickly and let me keep the watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

kellsred wrote: »

I went to check the time on my watch but found it hours out. It managed to completely discharge itself and I didn't notice

Advertisement