Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Gavin

Options
  • 09-09-2013 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭

Lots of debate about Brian Gavin yesterday with a lot of people from both sides fuming over various decisions made.

Just thought it would be interesting to have a straw poll on what they thought of his performance.

Was Brian Gavin bias in his decisions yesterday 92 votes

No. He was for the most part neutral
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, bias towards Clare
    92% 85 votes
    Yes, bias towards Cork
    7% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

He wasn't biased but he was terrible. Clare were very hard done by, particularly in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

bo-sco wrote: »
    He wasn't biased but he was terrible. Clare were very hard done by, particularly in the first half.

He was biased, whether it was a conscious bias or not you can't tell but his first half in particular was totally one sided

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

He looks fairly out of shape too, the pace and physicality of the game would make that a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Why did he play that extra 30 seconds at the end of extra time?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Biased I don't think so, I don't for a second doubt he was reffing the game as he saw it, what he was seeing is the question. :p.

He certainly didn't have a great day at the office anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

x43r0 wrote: »

What are you talking about? Are you talking about the MINIMUM of 2 mins injury time?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

One of the better referees in my opinion.

On the more controversial calls:

O'Neill sending off. He clearly didn't see it (and to be fair RTE didn't even catch the goings on beforehand) but he consulted with his linesmen and one of them clearly said two yellows twice. So he can't be blamed for this decision. And are we really sure whether it would have be one or two reds?

The "extra" 30 seconds - no matter how many times people are told that the extra time was a minimum of 2 minutes, they still ask about the extra 30 seconds. He could have played another 29 seconds and he still would have been within his rights.

There were a few calls I'd question in particular the free to Cork for over carrying was blatant chop and free out beforehand and as a neutral I'd say Cork got more of the 50:50 calls but to call him biased either way is a bit daft in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Poor first half, kept Cork in the game at times. Certainly awarded Clare the advantage when it didn't look like accruing twice. Also Cork chop on David McInerney was a yellow card.
    Shane O Neill should have walked. Gave Clare a couple of soft ones in the second half along with the chance to equalise. But yeah very poor.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    What are you talking about? Are you talking about the MINIMUM of 2 mins injury time?

Yeah, like he was required to play a minimum 2mins but what justified the further 30 seconds? Was there an injury in extra-time to merit it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Fraggle Rock

Poor but not biased. He let a Clare player carry the ball no less than 9 steps before scoring a crucial point. The player shimmied not once but twice to get away from his man.

This "everyone is against us" mentality that Clare have is getting very old and annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Yeah, like he was required to play a minimum 2mins but what justified the further 30 seconds? Was there an injury in extra-time to merit it?

Simply, because he can.

AGC wrote: »
    Simply, because he can.

I get that, I just don't understand why he would

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭El Vino

I thought Ollie Moran got it about spot in the Sunday game, his mistakes in the first half all benefited Cork - apart from potential sending off there were at least 2 frees that should have gone the other way, he seemed to spend the 2nd half trying to make it up to Clare.

As far as the injury time goes 2 minutes seemed short from the game itself I was expecting 3, I thought once Cork scored no matter what happened he was going to allow Clare a chance to equalize given what he had done before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I get that, I just don't understand why he would

Only Brian Galvin can answer than, for all we know he may have had already decided on 2.30 as normal time elapsed in which case 2 mins would still be displayed. Of course he could have been playing for the draw, or he may have felt the last sideline was taken a little to slowly for his liking (It was 30 second from the ball going out to actually being taken in fairness so the Cork lad was understandably not exactly rushing to take it :P).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

So if his stop watch shows 2 mins 45 seconds what should be shown as injury time? If they put up 3 and blow 15 seconds short you would give out???

Stop moaning about 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Don't think he was that bad but can see how Clare could feel aggrieved.

Was at the match in Upper Hogan as a neutral and I can safely say that he did not see the striking incident - he then did what he could have done by consulting his umpires and can't be blamed for the two yellows as he has to trust them. Bad call by the umpires though.

Paddy Kelly's advance on Nash in 1st half: I don't think anyone knows how this is meant to work. One must be at least 20 metres when free is taken but surely that means when Nash lifts the ball? So difficult to know in this case.

Free for overcarrying against McInerney: Quite simply a baffling and awful decision.

Free against Ryan when McLoughlin charged into him: Now this was an interesting one for me. I genuinely thought when I saw it at the time that it was a Cork free. Felt yer man caught him. Watched it on TV and it's clearly a free out to Clare. What I would say is that Gavin only had one chance too and my initial reaction on the moment was a Cork free.

So that accompanied with not sending off O'Neill (which he can't be blamed for when looked at factually) and the McInerney free it is definitelty understandable why one would be very upset as a Clare fan.

Taken in isolation I think only one of them was a blatantly bad decision.

Finally - this 2 minute thing, what is wrong with people?? It clearly states in the stadium that there will be 'AT LEAST 2 minutes additional time'. Not only that but the announcer repeats himself. That means minimum 2 and possible longer which was justified by the 35 seconds it took Cork to take the line ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Cork lucky to have 15men on the pitch - Gavin i think sided with cork a bit
    The equaliser was very understandable just as time was elapsing
    its always a hard job but i still feel the traditionally successful sides get the bounce of the ball from the ref.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    So if his stop watch shows 2 mins 45 seconds what should be shown as injury time? If they put up 3 and blow 15 seconds short you would give out???

Stop moaning about 30 seconds.

I'm not moaning at all - I just didn't understand the 30 seconds. A post actually bothered to try and explain it above and gave a reasonable response - which was nice

Chill out, it's only a game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Gavin had a poor day at the office. Yes O'Neill should have been sent off.
    The McInerney overcarrying was a free out.
    However the failure to award a retake when Kelly charged the free was a basic error, this resulted in a point for Clare. Possibly a 4 point turnabout.

In the 2nd half Gavin spoke to Kelly when Cork had the semi penalty and 20 metre free, this was after Nash spoke to Gavin as he was preparing to take the frees. Looked like Nash knew the rules better than the ref.

At least he wont get the replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I don't ever buy that referees at that level are biased in any way. He had a fairly poor day out alright. Wouldn't hugely blame him for the Shane O Neill incident, he didnt see it and only went on what his umpires told him and I have a feeling it was either going to be 2 reds or 2 yellows. The two frees were poor in the first half against Clare were poor decisions as was not retaking the first 21 yard free.
    But Clare drew that game because they conceded too many goals, defended very poorly when run at and didn't score any goal themselves.

Brian Gavin is not to blame. On the whole I feel decisions went against both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Was watching it with an english mate and he couldn't believe how fat he was. Must be tough to keep up with any game when you are out of shape but especially for hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Brian Gavin is one of the referees in the country IMO,did'nt get everything right but it balanced itself out on both sides...Neutral viewer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

seligehgit wrote: »
    Brian Gavin is one of the referees in the country IMO

And the award for stating the bleeding obvious goes to ........ You. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

If a referee is keeping a stopwatch on the game, and stops the time for injuries etc, do u expect all teh time to add up to exactly to the minute. The phrase used is "at least X mins of injury time" which can be anything. Also if there was an injury in injury time is that not allowed to be added on.

I would agree though that it can be used as a cop out for referees. A stadium clock would be much fairer and more transparent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

seligehgit wrote: »
    Brian Gavin is one of the referees in the country IMO,did'nt get everything right but it balanced itself out on both sides...Neutral viewer

Yes indeed he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Not really comfortable with some of the comments made about his weight, I know where people are coming from with regard to it possibly impacting his performance/mobility but it just seems a bit of a low blow :o

Anyway, I'm 99% certain that all inter county referees have to pass fitness tests every year, so I believe he's up to task on that front. His performance yesterday was so so. He's usually of a good standard, but I don't think either team was favoured more so than the other yesterday, Gavin had little or no impact on the result yesterday in my opinion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Hurling probably needs 2 refs. If you consider how young both teams were its hard for a ref who could be 20 years older than a lot of the players to keep up with them.

Overall his performance was poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭sasol

There was time wasting by Cork. They had two line balls which took up over 60 seconds in additional time.

The ref was perfectly entitled to add this on to the minimum of 2 minutes signalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I thought he rode Clare pillar to post for about 65 minutes- then realised that he may well have cost them the game and played enough injury time for them to equalise.
    I'm completely neutral, I don't like engaging in conspiracy theories and I find Davie Fitz to be quite detestable but they were very hard done by on Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I dont think he is a bad ref - maybe just bad day at the office
    to slag him for carrying a few pounds may be a bit harsh there is manys a ref in hurling and football who could do with more time in they gym but i dont think this affected his performance
    I think overall he did favour cork for the best part of an hour this is always the case when the big fish play the small fish as davy fitz would say
    Nash has relatively few games in the championship but has an old head on his shoulders
    you could argue one or 2 decisions when clares way in the first half
    but there should have been a sending off - why the officials behind the goal didnt help the ref is always a mystery to me

Advertisement