Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to properly connect oil line to tank?

Options
  • 08-09-2013 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭

Hey - I moved our tank a month or two ago and did a DIY job on connecting oil line to fuel filter.... At the time I remember googling for a detailed step by step guide but not actually finding much... For a finish I went to plumbing counter in local builders merchants and got the olive and nut required, lashed on a bit of plumbers tape and did my best..... Anyhow, not sure why am rambling on - its leaking very slightly & need to fix if tomorrow (have tap turned off as of now!)

Was hoping someone could post clear and fail proof instructions on doing this right as I don't want to loose my bit of oil :(

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.... Thanks.

PS someone mentioned there's supposed to be some sealer applied to the mix somewhere too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

My system was to compress the olive, undo the cap and wrap a bit of tape in front of the olive and tighten it again.
    Tape anywhere else is of no use.
    Over tightening is usually the caues of leaks as the copper pipe is very soft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Hey - I moved our tank a month or two ago and did a DIY job on connecting oil line to fuel filter.... At the time I remember googling for a detailed step by step guide but not actually finding much... For a finish I went to plumbing counter in local builders merchants and got the olive and nut required, lashed on a bit of plumbers tape and did my best..... Anyhow, not sure why am rambling on - its leaking very slightly & need to fix if tomorrow (have tap turned off as of now!)

Was hoping someone could post clear and fail proof instructions on doing this right as I don't want to loose my bit of oil :(

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.... Thanks.

PS someone mentioned there's supposed to be some sealer applied to the mix somewhere too?

Get a plumber in for your own sake. If it goes pear shaped it will literally cost you thousands. An oil leak is so much worse than a water leak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

aujopimur wrote: »
    My system was to compress the olive, undo the cap and wrap a bit of tape in front of the olive and tighten it again.
    Tape anywhere else is of no use.
    Over tightening is usually the caues of leaks as the copper pipe is very soft.

You should be using inserts for oil line compression joints. I use brass 10mm inserts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

shane0007 wrote: »
    You should be using inserts for oil line compression joints. I use brass 10mm inserts.

For coppor ?
    I've never come across them. More info pz.
    Always preferred stag (oil type) and hemp myself.

scudo2 wrote: »
    For coppor ?

http://www.oftecdirect.com/Shop/BrowseCategory.aspx?ProductID=359

It is part of your OFTEC training & a method statement is fully stated within your control documentation.

See OFTEC Book 3 / 2.1.13 Compression Fitings with Internal Support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

scudo2 wrote: »
    For coppor ?

Me too. Messy but good stuff

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Me too. Messy but good stuff

I thought hemp couldn't be used on oil?

Dtp79 wrote: »
    I thought hemp couldn't be used on oil?

Why not?

Why not?

I don't know to be quite honest. I was always told not to use hemp or to use solder fittings on oil. And I'm pretty sure I confirmed it when I did my Oftec training. I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

shane0007 wrote: »
    http://www.oftecdirect.com/Shop/BrowseCategory.aspx?ProductID=359

It is part of your OFTEC training & a method statement is fully stated within your control documentation.

See OFTEC Book 3 / 2.1.13 Compression Fitings with Internal Support

I have not come across these before. they would certainly be a good job as it has always been a problem with soft copper.

Are they available in most plumbing suppliers nowadays?
    Can they be got in 8mm?

• Advertisement

Froststop wrote: »
    I have not come across these before. they would certainly be a good job as it has always been a problem with soft copper.

Are they available in most plumbing suppliers nowadays?
    Can they be got in 8mm?

No, can never get them in Ireland for some reason. I order mine from Heating World of Spares in the UK.
    Not sure about 8mm as I would never be using soft copper in 8mm. Only hard copper for 8mm gas pipe. Same for 10mm gas, inserts are not required.

You got any idea about hemp and stag on oil shane?

You got any idea about hemp and stag on oil shane?

It's not a case that hemp is not allowed, it is more not approved. Hemp is used for water based products & is not approved by the manufacturer for use with oil based products.
    Recommended products for use with oil are PTFE & petroleum based sealants.
    Hemp is used with products such as Boss White & the like which is not suitable for petroleum based products.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

The only time I used inserts was on Qualpex green oil line.

aujopimur wrote: »
    The only time I used inserts was on Qualpex green oil line.

The little brass inserts also come with some remote acting fire valves. Very handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Ptfe and stag always do the job for me.

What's this stag yer all talking about?? I use red foliac

It's much the same IMO just different manufacturers.

Froststop wrote: »
    It's much the same IMO just different manufacturers.
    HRM7202274A_0.jpg&w=468&h=500&ei=zxkuUruZKMuM7Abh_YCICQ&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:3,s:0,i:89&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=196&tbnw=183&start=0&ndsp=26&tx=90&ty=100

Looks like right tack. At the moment I'm using unired, although its brown. Not messy at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Old school stuff, smells really bad and stains your fingers for days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭gifted

I was an apprentice on the mcdonalds in douglas in cork when it was built and all the gas pipe was done in stag, of course Bord Gas arrived on site and told us that they don't allow that stuff anymore and we had to change to ptfe, have a guess who got caught to strip out every screwed fitting and wire brush down and re tape with ptfe tape :( and by **** was there a lot of fittings..

gifted wrote: »
    I was an apprentice on the mcdonalds in douglas in cork when it was built and all the gas pipe was done in stag, of course Bord Gas arrived on site and told us that they don't allow that stuff anymore and we had to change to ptfe, have a guess who got caught to strip out every screwed fitting and wire brush down and re tape with ptfe tape :( and by **** was there a lot of fittings..

I'm guessing you!!

gifted wrote: »

I guess ye used stag and flax?
    Gas rots flax. I spent 7 weeks repairing leaks in the dental hospital a few years back. The gas pipe work in the whole building had to be done, it was a nightmare.

Looks like right tack. At the moment I'm using unired, although its brown. Not messy at all

Im not a fan of the uni range at all. Donno why just never liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

Hello.....gas rots flax?

Wtf never heard that before, what sort of timeframe are we talking?

esox28 wrote: »
    Hello.....gas rots flax?

Wtf never heard that before, what sort of timeframe are we talking?

I don't know for sure, anyone know when the dental hospital was built in cork?
    It took 7 weeks to repair all the threaded joints in the building as the pipes ran through every corridor and into all the labs. They were all made up with stag & flax and the flax was rotting causing hundreds of leaks.

Fook..
    Was there an engineering report drafted on possible causes?
    what size lines and pressure of gas?

I've worker along side loads of fitter and we've all used hemp from time to time, holy Crapo that's alot of fixing if tthis is TRUE.

Fook..

I've worker along side loads of fitter and we've all used hemp from time to time, holy Crapo that's alot of fixing if tthis is TRUE.

I couldn't believe it myself! pipe sizes from 1/4 & 3/8 on lab gas taps up to 2" main lines which were black iron. There was no report as it was kept quiet. We were told keep going until all line passed a pressure test.

I had been working in a lab when we discovered a leak as one of the staff mentioned they could smell gas at times so we tested the pipe work in the room. before we knew it we were half way around the building. Most were tiny and even hard to find but the flax was like rotten brittle straw, dried out and would break up if you just rolled it between your fingers. I have striped out older heating pipes and never came across flax in this condition.

I worked for a number of mechanical companies and in 25 years we never used flax on gas. I'm surprised it is being used TBH.

Fook..

Oh it's true I'm afraid. I've never used flax on oil or gas. Always ptfe

• Advertisement

That's good to know about flax gas treading, would never have known till im getting calls down the line which is probably inevitable. Any gb systems iv done recenty am back annually for servicing so will keep a close eye.

Started buy solar tubes from a company for the first time at the start of solar season,3 system into the summer and I start getting leak call backs in ascending order that the jobs started plus the leaks all in same spots, fiber washers were reacting, expanding and contracting with contact with the glycol resulting in leaks.
    Rang the suppliers and was told "sorry we've had problems with them washers"
    And sent out replacements.

Sound....only most of the job were half days work scaffolding x2 men to just get access.

Appoliges for rant

But point is the 'best will in the world' and pipes will still have leaks.

I've been using tubes of Teflon tread for oil-gas solar connection, just find the ****yy pulsar tape melts with kero.
    I get it from hwos think its about £7 and the tube lasts ages.

Advertisement