Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your highlight of H final?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

My bad if it was he's good side I thought when I watched it back again that Loughnane made some comment about it been he's bad side - agree about Collins though and he has been some find this year, I actually think if Clare win the AI he is a real contender for HOTY. The media love to big up Tony Kelly and are alway waxing lyrical about he's wonderull skill ad natural talent, for my money Collins is a far more reliable and consistent performer at this point ( not taking from Kelly btw its just funny the way the media like to pick their favourites)

Yeah, I recall Loughnane saying something along the lines of "a few years ago Podge wasn't able to hit it off that side now he's etc."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

shamco wrote: »
    DJ got that point when the game was effectively over so not as good as Podges's

And its by using that type of logic that I would say Horgan's point was actually better than Collin's, infact Jamsie's point in '97 was also a better 'clutch' score

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Was lucky to be one of the 82000 in Croker,apart from the classy point taking by Clare in first half and Anthony Nash' display my personal highlight came with 3/4 mins to go,Tom Kenny and Fergal Lynch came on around same time and ended up marking each other,
    Atmosphere at time was incredible and awful tense with game in melting pot,Lynch approached Kenny just below where I was sitting and instead of the S***e you sometimes see of lads shouldering or digging into each other the two great warriors shook hands....thats what sport should be.

Great example but personally it had to be Collins' point or Conor Ryan's pt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Even though it was off he's bad side, from a seriously tight angle and most importantly of all he never looked??

I'm not trying to take from the score btw and have listed it as one of my highlights of the game, I just don't think it is in the same league as DJ's score which was what I was directing my post to.

Ever hear of knowing where the goalposts are? Thats how good he is. To analysis it as a bit luck is taking away from the brilliance of the point.

Warper wrote: »
    Ever hear of knowing where the goalposts are? Thats how good he is. To analysis it as a bit luck is taking away from the brilliance of the point.

Ah thats not fair I never put it down exclusively to luck, I just pointed out there was a large element of luck involved, I have repeatedly acknowledged it was a brilliant piece of skill, its like people here are trying to be offended.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

Ah thats not fair I never put it down exclusively to luck, I just pointed out there was a large element of luck involved, I have repeatedly acknowledged it was a brilliant piece of skill, its like people here are trying to be offended.

You're always in the wars Premierstone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Honestly if DJ farted it would be hailed as a breath of fresh air. Talk about the media darling. Greatest hurler ever? there were even better hurlers on his team at the time.

buck65 wrote: »
    Honestly if DJ farted it would be hailed as a breath of fresh air. Talk about the media darling. Greatest hurler ever? there were even better hurlers on his team at the time.

+1. The name did him favours too! God knows he wouldn't have been hyped half as much if his name was Ultan Kenny. DJ could be used in so many ways and it just has a soothing sound about it. ie; Delightful Daring DJ Dodging Dublin Defenders Definetly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

audman wrote: »
    +1. The name did him favours too! God knows he wouldn't have been hyped half as much if his name was Ultan Kenny. DJ could be used in so many ways and it just has a soothing sound about it. ie; Daring DJ Dodging Dublin Defenders.

In fairness Ultan Kenny would have dodged them too back then.

In fairness Ultan Kenny would have dodged them too back then.

:D

• Advertisement

audman wrote: »
    You're always in the wars Premierstone :D

lol I know yeah, maybe I should try and be a little less confrontational and tell everyone they are brilliant and the best ever :D..................nah cant see it can you??

Agree that he was over hyped to a certain extent but he was also an absolute quality hurler, its just people are constantly desperate to lable everything as the best ever, I mean we have a thread here asking was Sundays match the best AI ever! Joe Canning is another example, wonderfully gifted yes but some of the praise has been completely premature as of yet, at this point in time in he's career I would argue he is not even the best hurler in his family! I'm sure he will in time but not yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Ah come on lads. It reminds me of the joke, there are two types of hurling supporters - those that believe DJ was a God and those that believe he was just given too much room. The guy was class. No one ever in the game could get goals like he could.
    As a Clare man, I can't help but note the age of these guys. Most were very born around the mad hurling hype of the mid 90's.

pakalasa wrote: »
    Ah come on lads. It reminds me of the joke, there are two types of hurling supporters - those that believe DJ was a God and those that believe he was just given too much room. The guy was class. No one ever in the game could get goals like he could.

You could say the same about Paul Flynn and Lar Corbett but scoring great goals does not a great player make!

For the record I'm not knocking DJ here just IMO there has been a number of better hurlers in the last 20 years and quite a number of them from KK too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The DJ point v Clare was as clear a free out for steps as you'll see.

Great strike off the volley, but it's hard to consider it a great score when essentially it was a foul.

I'd vote for Quigley's point for Wexford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

You could say the same about Paul Flynn and Lar Corbett but scoring great goals does not a great player make!

For the record I'm not knocking DJ here just IMO there has been a number of better hurlers in the last 20 years and quite a number of them from KK too.

I would rate Dj awful highly too, his pace was unreal and the way he could draw in 2 o 3 defenders and give a perfect 20-30 yard handpass is something I havent seen someone do since him. I wasnt saying Podges was the best point of all time but is one of the scores of the year and better than Dj's shot off the stick I think. Eoin Quigleys is my all time favourite.

Advertisement