Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your highlight of H final?

Options
  • 08-09-2013 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Was lucky to be one of the 82000 in Croker,apart from the classy point taking by Clare in first half and Anthony Nash' display my personal highlight came with 3/4 mins to go,Tom Kenny and Fergal Lynch came on around same time and ended up marking each other,
    Atmosphere at time was incredible and awful tense with game in melting pot,Lynch approached Kenny just below where I was sitting and instead of the S***e you sometimes see of lads shouldering or digging into each other the two great warriors shook hands....thats what sport should be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

Davy's voice breaking

• Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Podge Collins' point was a thing of beauty

Some of Conor Ryan's catching of high balls was astounding and great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

A lovely comment and great to see , has to be the podge Collins point , if DJ or Henry had done same it would be spoken of as the point of the decade but so many highlights in our great game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Pat Horgan's point from out the field in the first half

Made it look effortless

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

soundsham wrote: »
    Davy's voice breaking

:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Definitely Podge Collins' point. I still can't get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Lehanes goal. Cracker and we needed it

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭LMK

Pat Horgans point to put Cork ahead Class - followed by Domhnall O Donovans equalizer Guts

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

as a Offaly man. enjoyed the match. Domhnall O'Donovan point to draw the match was a point i will never forget. the guts to go of it from a back and a great score.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Form a Cork man; Conor Ryan and Podge Collin's display of class today. They were utterly superb.

Lehane and Cronins goals were superb pieces of individual skill too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

1. Conor Ryan's point
    2. D O'Donovans point
    3. Pa Cronins goal
    4. Podge Collins point
    5. Anthony Nashs goal
    6. Pa Horgans point
    7. Conor Ryan's fielding
    8. Kelly's saves
    9. Kearneys point in 2nd half
    10. Buglers display
    11. Intensity of Clare
    12. Pace of some of the players

Could go on, delighted with game today and already looking forward to the replay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

phkk wrote: »
    1. Conor Ryan's point
    2. D O'Donovans point
    3. Pa Cronins goal
    4. Podge Collins point
    5. Anthony Nashs goal
    6. Pa Horgans point
    7. Conor Ryan's fielding
    8. Kelly's saves
    10. Buglers display
    11. Intensity of Clare

Could go on, delighted with game today and already looking forward to the replay
    What a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Collins's point and Horgans lead point were two of the best points you are ever likely to see.

Special mention to Nash's goal, I have literally never seen a ball move that fast even the slow motion it was hard to see it, he'll do he's shoulder taking one of them some day!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

For me hard to seperate Cronins goal, Podges or Conor Ryans point, all fabulous scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭independent11

Waterford raising the Irish Press Cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

phkk wrote: »
    1. Conor Ryan's point
    2. D O'Donovans point
    3. Pa Cronins goal
    4. Podge Collins point
    5. Anthony Nashs goal
    6. Pa Horgans point
    7. Conor Ryan's fielding
    8. Kelly's saves
    10. Buglers display
    11. Intensity of Clare

You've most of my highlights listed there, another for me was the Clare players use of the sidestep to make space for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Was lucky to be one of the 82000 in Croker,apart from the classy point taking by Clare in first half and Anthony Nash' display my personal highlight came with 3/4 mins to go,Tom Kenny and Fergal Lynch came on around same time and ended up marking each other,
    Atmosphere at time was incredible and awful tense with game in melting pot,Lynch approached Kenny just below where I was sitting and instead of the S***e you sometimes see of lads shouldering or digging into each other the two great warriors shook hands....thats what sport should be.

Wish we could see more of that, podge's point for me, amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Podge's point, maybe now we'll get past DJ's point against us in 2002.

buck65 wrote: »
    Podge's point, maybe now we'll get past DJ's point against us in 2002.

Even though I mentioned it as one of my highlights of the game there is no way you can compare the two, Collin's never looked and quite frankly it was a redicilous place to shoot from, about 5% chance of it going over, but it was some score - too much luck involved for me to be considered anywhere near DJ's point, Ciaran Carey's, JBM's goal etc, infact I think Horgans final point yeaterday was even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Podge Collins point, incredible. Has to be up there among the best ever

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Even though I mentioned it as one of my highlights of the game there is no way you can compare the two, Collin's never looked and quite frankly it was a redicilous place to shoot from, about 5% chance of it going over, but it was some score - too much luck involved for me to be considered anywhere near DJ's point, Ciaran Carey's, JBM's goal etc, infact I think Horgans final point yeaterday was even better.

I would seriously challenge this, I've been watching podge collins since under 14, yesterday was not the first time I saw him get a point of that quality albeit not in an all ireland senior final.
    You may have thought it was a 5% shot but as he turned to strike it i genuinely thought he'd get it - hes that good

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Collins point supreme and should never be questioned , only questioning here is "from the home of hurling" , enough said

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hotd

Pulsating finishes began in Thurles on Saturday with the ladies intermediate semi final between Tipp and Fermanagh. It even surpassed Clare's last gasp point in Croker. They use the hooter to count down the final seconds and the winning kick was in the air when the clock struck zero. Read the match report. What does the rule book say about that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

hotd wrote: »
    Pulsating finishes began in Thurles on Saturday with the ladies intermediate semi final between Tipp and Fermanagh. It even surpassed Clare's last gasp point in Croker. They use the hooter to count down the final seconds and the winning kick was in the air when the clock struck zero. Read the match report. What does the rule book say about that ?

Is it not like basketball where the final play counts.

hotd wrote: »

Once the ball is in teh air when the hooter sounds the game ends when that play ends, it was certainly the most amazing finisg to a game I have ever seen and felt terrible for the Fermanagh Keeper who had a great game up until then.

Certainly agree re. the clock and it is something that should be at least trailed in the mens games. A referee has enough to be concerned with without been a timekeeper aswell.

Nevermind_ wrote: »
    I would seriously challenge this, I've been watching podge collins since under 14, yesterday was not the first time I saw him get a point of that quality albeit not in an all ireland senior final.
    You may have thought it was a 5% shot but as he turned to strike it i genuinely thought he'd get it - hes that good

Even though it was off he's bad side, from a seriously tight angle and most importantly of all he never looked??

I'm not trying to take from the score btw and have listed it as one of my highlights of the game, I just don't think it is in the same league as DJ's score which was what I was directing my post to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Even though it was off he's bad side, from a seriously tight angle and most importantly of all he never looked??

I'm not trying to take from the score btw and have listed it as one of my highlights of the game, I just don't think it is in the same league as DJ's score which was what I was directing my post to.

It was off his good side moving away from goal with 2 cork backs in pursuit by the sideline. In fairness to Dj he left Baker and Colin Lynch for dead and had all the time in the world to hit it. I thought it was going over from the second podge hit it anyway, cant remember the last wide he hit!!

It was off his good side moving away from goal with 2 cork backs in pursuit by the sideline. In fairness to Dj he left Baker and Colin Lynch for dead and had all the time in the world to hit it. I thought it was going over from the second podge hit it anyway, cant remember the last wide he hit!!

My bad if it was he's good side I thought when I watched it back again that Loughnane made some comment about it been he's bad side - agree about Collins though and he has been some find this year, I actually think if Clare win the AI he is a real contender for HOTY. The media love to big up Tony Kelly and are alway waxing lyrical about he's wonderull skill ad natural talent, for my money Collins is a far more reliable and consistent performer at this point ( not taking from Kelly btw its just funny the way the media like to pick their favourites)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

DJ got that point when the game was effectively over so not as good as Podges's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

My bad if it was he's good side I thought when I watched it back again that Loughnane made some comment about it been he's bad side - agree about Collins though and he has been some find this year, I actually think if Clare win the AI he is a real contender for HOTY. The media love to big up Tony Kelly and are alway waxing lyrical about he's wonderull skill ad natural talent, for my money Collins is a far more reliable and consistent performer at this point ( not taking from Kelly btw its just funny the way the media like to pick their favourites)

Watching the sunday game this year, there has been a lot more talk about collins than kelly i think myself. They are both wonderfull hurlers and we are lucky to have them.

Advertisement