Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not your typical cycling problem.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Have the same road bike the Carrera TDF, the wheels on it are about 3kg and a little over. I know im thinking of getting something in the range of 1.6kg. The bigest improvment on the Carrera TDF would be the wheels. Then after that it would be buy a better bike. One thing i say about the heavy wheels that they are ment to be bomb proof as some say.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I thought id update this,im still soldiering on guys.
    Since i got a decent pair of cycling shoes [not the best of gear but for said condition they just work] its helped a lot,funny how shoes for €200 + were no use but ones for €20 in Aldi have helped so much.
    These shoes combined with a mostly high cadence cycling as suggested on this thread has worked wonders.

Unfortunately and only recently i suffer from seasonal asthma and always when the weather turns cold.
    Since last week i can feel it out on the bike as its got colder especially for the first 20-30 mins.
    I really dont know how it will affect me over the colder months but i hope to God i dont have to park the bike and hit the gym.

Jaysus just reading that i sound like a wreck lol.

According to strava ive clocked up 1,900km ,elevation gain of 7,000m in 11 weeks averaging 152km per week,average of 4 rides per week.
    Nothing compared to a lot of impressive cyclists who frequent this forum i know :)
    Im not the fastest by any means,infact im below average if strava segments is anything to go by but feck it i hit 43 two weeks back im not 23 anymore but man i feel great and fitter than ive been in 10 years.
    I could never in a million years have got to this stage if it wasnt for cycling.
    I plan to continue on as the benefits of cycling again seem literally massive on so many levels.

This mornings spin

http://www.strava.com/activities/94838533

People who made the effort to respond to this thread i have to say thanks,its helped me keep going when i just felt like throwing in the towel as it was such a struggle for about 4 weeks in the beginning.
    Even the other cyclists i meet out on the roads who offer a wave,a nod of the head or shout hello ,it always brings a smile to my face.
    Ofcourse you get the posers with the best of gear who wouldnt look my direction,strangely that gives me a chuckle and a smile too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I'm asthmatic and the cold used to play hell with me, I couldn't run for a bus in the cold without needing the ventolin. I know we can't give medical advice on here but my doctor switched my inhaler a few years ago and it really brought my asthma under control. TBH I'm a bit disappointed I never got it sorted when I was younger, could have made a big difference to me back then, could've been a contender :pac:
    Maybe you should have a chat with your GP about your meds and find out if you are on the best one for you?
    I still find the first 15-20 minutes of a cycle a bit tight but once I get that out of the way I can really power along at a decent pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Re the asthma I can't give you advice on medical responses but I think your gp will be to.

However my lungs are nearly as shredded as my knees but since I started using Graeme Obree's breathing technique for both running and cycling I haven't had a wheeze.

In essence it's all about keeping the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth so that the air is warmed by your tongue before it hits your lungs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Dcully wrote: »
    Thanks folks.
    @ pelevin Yes ive tried that cayenne pepper,in a few forms actually, even had some injected into the area.
    Also had an intravenous block carried out, absolutely horrible procedure ,im just cringing thinking about it :eek:

Sounds like you've covered this already so but just mentioning I bought couple of tinctures of cayenne extract yesterday as well as some other stuff from linked US site which seems to offer very reasonable pricing & shipping. All the stuff I got is Dr Christopher stuff.

Tissue & Bone Ointment:

http://www.mynaturalmarket.com/dr-christopher-complete-tissue-and-bone-ointment-4-oz.html?%3CosCsid%3E

Not sure which ointment I bought(!) but he also has a Cayenne Heat Ointment . . . though as said again seems you've without effect gone this path already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

I really dont know how it will affect me over the colder months but i hope to God i dont have to park the bike and hit the gym.

Do you have a turbo trainer? If you're struggling with the cold and you want to keep up your cycling, then this would be a valuable investment - not too expensive and you could still get your spins in, albeit in front of the TV instead of out on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭The Ging and I

Hot pads will keep your feet warmer so might help with circulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

......According to strava ive clocked up 1,900km ,elevation gain of 7,000m in 11 weeks averaging 152km per week,average of 4 rides per week.
    Nothing compared to a lot of impressive cyclists who frequent this forum i know......

I dunno about that - at that rate you're doing nearly 9,000 per annum. I'll be very happy to manage about the same* this year with about 2/3 coming from commutes

* ok ok a bit less (maybe 8,000)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Browsing Rose just there I came across these, may be of use to you man...great thread, fair play to you

http://www.rosebikes.com/article/pyro-platforms/aid:38027/fromtopoffers:1

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭biketard

Hey, Dcully,

Good to see you're doing so well. My breathing also suffers in winter. You might want to have a look at this thread, if you haven't already done so:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057032650

There are also some threads in the Athletics / Running and Health & Fitness forums about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Dcully,

Have you tried these for your toes ?

http://www.algeos.com/little_hotties_toe_warmers.html

http://www.bestinsoles.com/Little-Hotties_c_205.html

May be worth a try

Fair play to you for keeping going, shows a real mental strength.

Well im almost over a 10 day bout of chest infection on top of the damn asthma.
    Stayed off the bike for 3 days before it set in hoping to keep it at bay as i could feel it coming on.
    The net result is zero miles in 13 days :(
    Im guaranteed one every year,this year it only took 2-3 weeks after the weather got a tad colder im hit :(
    My doctor isnt too keen on the cycling in cold weather at all.
    Typically the last 10 days have been very mild and would have been lovely to get some miles in before the real cold arrives.
    Reluctantly i think i might have to do less spins over the winter,very tempted to get a turbo trainer if i can get one not too expensive.

Long time since i updated this and no time like the present thanks to a fresh injury :(

Before i get to that thanks to all the advice offered im still going strong and stronger than ever.
    New bike purchased 2 months back has helped a lot,im now doing regular sportives in the 80k-120k range,even clocked up 350k in 7 days last week.
    Still some pain on the bad ankle and toe but a good pair of loose fitting shoes and cleats helped here bigtime.
    Im now the fittest ive been since my accident and its 100% down to cycling.

Unfortunately at last weekends Westportif i was caught up in a crash that happened a few feet ahead of me and about 5 of us came down,i came down hard at about 30 kmph onto the road and the net result is 2 broken ribs confirmed today by xray.
    I soldiered on last week with the great weather as on the bike the pain wasnt bad but walking even about the house,lying in bed or sitting in certain positions is very painful.
    When i asked the doctor about cycling during the expected 6+ weeks recovery time he said just listen to your body,if your pain free to cycle go for it.
    Im wondering if any boardsies cycled on with broken ribs?

I really dont want to quit now as ive a nice momentum going especially since i will more than likely have to quit again for the winter months with asthma :(

Im keen to hear from others with similar rib injuries and cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm going to suggest carbon sole shoes and push the cleats back as far as they go so that the pedal is behind the ball of your foot rather than under it. You can even drill the soles further back and place the clear under your foot arch (there are a few videos on YouTube about it) that way the pressure is off the front of your foot completely and it may help alleviate the numbness you experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

When i asked the doctor about cycling during the expected 6+ weeks recovery time he said just listen to your body,if your pain free to cycle go for it.
    Im wondering if any boardsies cycled on with broken ribs?

I really dont want to quit now as ive a nice momentum going especially since i will more than likely have to quit again for the winter months with asthma :(

Im keen to hear from others with similar rib injuries and cycling.

I was OK cycling with broken ribs. Hitting a bump brought out a "Jaysusssssss" from me.

Getting out of bed was very sore for about four weeks. Driving the car and having to twist around wasn't nice either.

Being a smoker and coughing was pure hell.

I did stop cycling after the first week or so, for about two weeks, as I was convinced by others that it would help me heal. ( I lost a lot of cycling fitness over two weeks)

If it's sore, don't do it? That's the function of pain, in simple terms. When I was cycling the top half of my body wasn't really doing much tbh.

On reflection, getting out of bed in the mornings was the worst :/

It does take about 6-8 weeks btw. Avoid painkillers.

I'm not the cleverest in the world.

Advertisement