Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stuck on a level.

Options
  • 08-09-2013 2:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

I'm currently stuck on a level in Candy Crush that has highlighted more than ever to me that the game is solely about blind luck...it's still so bloody addictive though.

Anyway, what was the worst experience for you of getting stuck on a level or part of a game that you found impossible to get past?

For me it was level 48 in Zombies Ate My Neighbours for the SNES. I can still picture the boss in that level perfectly even though it was over 15 years ago...it haunts me.

*Apologies if this thread has already been made but I couldn't find it when I searched

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

Just tonight Burn em out on Cod WaW 90 mins just to get through a 10 minute level. Best bet try then take a break when you get frustrated come back to it later. Though nowadays we have video walk-throughs kinda takes the challenge out of it I guess.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Homeworld- In the 2nd mission, you have to send a probe to find the Khar Selim. I always sent the probe as soon as the mission started, and could never beat off the enemy fleet that attacked with the limited number of fighters i had. Was bloody infuriating. I eventually gave up on it, and left it for around a month. Went back, and realised i could take my time and build up a fleet before sending the probe. Cruised through it, and Homeworld now sits in my all time top 5 games.

Thank god i stuck with it :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

tropico 3, the mission where you have to get 85 population happiness

i still only ever beat it because
    for some reason the soviets offered me a drug that would boost population happiness by 10% at the very end
    every other time i've tried it, that never happened and I can't beat it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Not exactly a level, but Adel at the end of disc 3 in ff8, I couldnt find a good area to level up near her in Lunatic Pandora and eventually I had to restart the entire game :(

• Advertisement

All of Dark Souls. Every. Single. Level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Got stuck on the Four Kings in Dark Souls and ended up giving up on it. Have intentions of getting back to it but feel like I'd need to learn the game again at this stage in order to get back to the skillz I had before.

I'll definitely get back and beat that boss but it's just a question of when.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

djkeogh wrote: »
    Got stuck on the Four Kings in Dark Souls and ended up giving up on it. Have intentions of getting back to it but feel like I'd need to learn the game again at this stage in order to get back to the skillz I had before.

Put on the best armour you have (Havel's armour set with Havels Ring works great). Stroll in and hack away while your super poise stops you getting knocked over. Heal when needed. Easy when you know how.
    Not exactly a level, but Adel at the end of disc 3 in ff8, I couldnt find a good area to level up near her in Lunatic Pandora and eventually I had to restart the entire game :(

Got me as well. It's actually a super easy boss fight. If you did find somewhere to level up you'd be boned anyway since every enemy levels up with you. The problem is that she is the first boss where summons are utterly useless. If you are playing the game wrong and only using summons then you'll be screwed. However if you are junctioning magic properly you only need physical attacks for the majority of the game and will rip through her. The problem with the game is that it's so complicated that it doesn't really communicate how important junctioning magic is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Put on the best armour you have (Havel's armour set with Havels Ring works great). Stroll in and hack away while your super poise stops you getting knocked over. Heal when needed. Easy when you know how.

I went for the Dark Wood Grain Ring and the crest shield for blocking their magic. This was before the DWG ring was nerfed mind.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Jak & Daxter The Precursor Legacy. Catch 200lbs of fish. I can't for the life of me get anywhere near it. The input lag on my TV is nasty, not helping at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'm currently replaying a bunch of old games that I could never beat. Amongst them is a level in one of the PS1 Tomb Raider titles which used to just leave me completely lost. Got back to that same part the other day to find that, once again, I've absolutely no idea where to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Jak & Daxter The Precursor Legacy. Catch 200lbs of fish. I can't for the life of me get anywhere near it. The input lag on my TV is nasty, not helping at all.
    Just passed it there :) That was stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Raining Blood on expert on Guitar Hero 3. The only story-mode song I can't do in that game.

Back on Zelda Wind Waker, I got stuck near the start at Forsaken Fortress in the stealth section. I ended up just not playing the game for years because of that.

I came back eventually though and got almost all the way through it only to get stuck at the Wind Temple right before the end. The NPC partner gets stuck in a sort of prison where there is a big rock blocking the way in. I spent about an hour trying to figure out what to do next and just gave up. I remember trying to use an IGN guide but back then, the Wind Waker guide was for subscribing members only. Instead I took to Amazon to buy the official strategy guide for about £20. The delivery date said 4-6 weeks (from the UK) which seemed insane but I just gritted my teeth and paid for it. About 7 weeks later I start emailing asking where my guide is and they tell me it's not coming (I don't know why) and they refunded me the money. I was so pissed off about that.

At some point though I went back and realised you just have to wear the iron boots and hookshot the big rock to make it fall over and boy did I feel like an idiot for not noticing that :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Got me as well. It's actually a super easy boss fight. If you did find somewhere to level up you'd be boned anyway since every enemy levels up with you. The problem is that she is the first boss where summons are utterly useless. If you are playing the game wrong and only using summons then you'll be screwed. However if you are junctioning magic properly you only need physical attacks for the majority of the game and will rip through her. The problem with the game is that it's so complicated that it doesn't really communicate how important junctioning magic is.

Yeah I played when I was in 1st year of secondary school and looking back now I didn't really have a clue what I was doing the first few times, in a way it was actually a good thing because playing games was much tougher and because I wasn't using any sort of levelling strategy or tactics beating the tough bosses was so much more satisfying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

All of Dark Souls. Every. Single. Level.

I came in to post this exact thing.

So I will say the third boss in Outland. A great game and a shame I didn't get to see it through to the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

last boss in prototype

**** countdown based missions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Trying to get the "Zone Zeus" trophy on Wipeout HD (get to level 75 in Zone Mode, bearing in mind that Phantom speed level is only the 35 zone), I can get to level 70 fairly consistently before my eyes feel like their going to fall out of my head.

The kicker is I managed the "Beat Zico" and I'm stuck on this. Damn Wipeout.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Playing through FF7 one time too many. Took a break for a few months. When I came back I'd no idea what I had to do next. Spent weeks wandering aimlessly round the world map:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

At the very end of Y's The Vanished Omens on the Master System theres a room filled with poisonous gas where you need to figure out a puzzle. Played it a thousand times as a kid and couldn't suss it out. It's literally right at the end, it gives you the key for the final boss.

Replayed it a few years ago via emulator and still couldn't figure it out! (with a guide and all!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Y's is ridiculous for having crazy puzzles like that. I got the recent remake of Y's 1 and 2 and the developer actually gave a full walkthrough in the manual of the first game because the puzzles are so obtuse. Thankfully after that game it got a hell of a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Raid over Moscow on C64 !! Spend weeks trying to get out of the Hanger (Very first bit) and could never do it. Without any manuals to go on or Idea what the hell you were supposed to do it drove me utterly bonkers.

Picked it up on the iphone recently and realized it's just as difficult lol.
    Controls were just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Sorry about the sketchiness but it is a good while back....Monkey Island...can't remember whether it's 1 or 2 but I think it was 2...had to find some combination of items to thicken your spit to win a spitting contest...i hovered over every item in every scene to see if some option to act would present itself...days lost...it was at least a year before I found out what I had to do and went back to it...pre internet...deary me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

GK1001 wrote: »
    Sorry about the sketchiness but it is a good while back....Monkey Island...can't remember whether it's 1 or 2 but I think it was 2...had to find some combination of items to thicken your spit to win a spitting contest...i hovered over every item in every scene to see if some option to act would present itself...days lost...it was at least a year before I found out what I had to do and went back to it...pre internet...deary me
    Wasn't just the mix of grog, you had to spit when the wind was blowing behind you as well ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Level 70 on Candy Crush is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

bs-train.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Manus in the Dark Souls DLC and the final missions of the first 2 Driver games spring to mind.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I seem to be playing the same map in counter strike for the past 15 years, de_dust2 is tough

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Level 165 candy crush. Been stuck on it for weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

I always get stuck on stupid things but at least you can resort to walkthrough guides and youtube.

I can clearly remember the pain and frustration of Hugo's House of Horrors 1-3. You can to type commands and there were only a select few that could be recognised and you had to be able to spell. It's where I learned how to spell pumpkin. Oh and god forbid you come across an item you'd never heard of, like a dumb waiter (no google or wikipedia searches in those days, out with the giant dusty encyclopaedias).

They were great games but I got so stuck in them and never could finish. I looked up the walkthroughs a few years ago and it kills me how straightforward it was after all. Grrr.

Oh and Penelope, worst girlfriend ever.

Advertisement