Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The fairness of the ticket allocation system

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Ace2007 wrote: »
    If I buy 6 Parnell passes I'm entitled to 6 tickets, I could then easily sell then on and make profit - explain to me how that is not easy for a tout????

Also what commitment are you on about, Dublin reach final- touts buy tickets easy - no risk just reward
    If a tout buys a Parnell Pass just to get a Hill 16 football final ticket they'd effectively be paying €160 for it - €120 for the pass and €40 for the ticket. That doesn't sound like a very clever way to make profit to me as there are very, very few people who would be willing to pay €160 for a Hill ticket for the final, and at that price the tout would only break even, so the tout would need to get at least €200 or more for it to make it worth their while.

You'd want to be some fool to pay €200 for a Hill ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,862 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

If a tout buys a Parnell Pass just to get a Hill 16 football final ticket they'd effectively be paying €160 for it - €120 for the pass and €40 for the ticket. That doesn't sound like a very clever way to make profit to me as there are very, very few people who would be willing to pay €160 for a Hill ticket for the final, and at that price the tout would only break even, so the tout would need to get at least €200 or more for it to make it worth their while.

Not to mention that if Dublin don't make the final then the tout's Parnell Pass would have been a complete waste of time. Buying 6 of them would be a massive gamble with very little potential payoff. The tout would be better off just putting his money on Dublin to make the AI with Paddy Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Not to mention that if Dublin don't make the final then the tout's Parnell Pass would have been a complete waste of time. Buying 6 of them would be a massive gamble with very little potential payoff. The tout would be better off just putting his money on Dublin to make the AI with Paddy Power.

clearly didn't read my post or know how the pass works, you could have bought them after the semi final win.

I reckon I could easily get 200 for a hill ticket for the final.
    you go to the right places and you'll get people paying money for tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Not to mention that if Dublin don't make the final then the tout's Parnell Pass would have been a complete waste of time.

Parnell Passes were still on sale up to last Friday. I'd imagine any tout with half a brain would have waited until Dublin were actually in the AI final before he bought one. Having a Parnell Pass entitles you to free tickets to league games too, so even if a tout sold them at face value, he'd make back about 50 quid of what he paid for the PP.

There are plenty of people in Dublin with very deep pockets who live for big events like an AI final, but wouldn't come within an asses roar of a league game in February. (I believe the polite term for them is 'event junkies'. :rolleyes: ) I know several of them who'd gladly pay 200 squids for an All Ireland final ticket, especially if Dublin are involved. They wouldn't be a member of a club, but they know how hard tickets are to come by, so they do whatever it takes to be there for it. They'd see 200 quid as a bargain, especially in light of what they pay to go to Six Nations games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

If there are tickets, there will be touts. A bit like the poor, they will always be with us. Going back to cash at the stiles is not a safe option nowadays. Didn't see any touts selling today, just looking to buy.

As for the Parnell Pass, a tout would have to pay for 6 Parnell Passes and then pay for 6 final tickets. A lot of investment. The remaining Parnell Passes were being snapped up by real fans and the odd sunshiner who somehow heard about them. Possibly a few touts might get some, but I doubt many do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,862 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Ace2007 wrote: »
    clearly didn't read my post or know how the pass works, you could have bought them after the semi final win.

I reckon I could easily get 200 for a hill ticket for the final.
    you go to the right places and you'll get people paying money for tickets.

I stand corrected, apologies. Seriously, you could just buy a Parnell Pass at this stage of the year? That's absolutely silly to me. Sillier still to but one but if you really feel the need of a ticket...

I would still stand by the assertion that, for a tout, that's awful value. I really doubt the profit you're likely to make on buying a PP AND an AI ticket will pay off enough to warrant the hassle.

I stand corrected, apologies. Seriously, you could just buy a Parnell Pass at this stage of the year? That's absolutely silly to me. Sillier still to but one but if you really feel the need of a ticket...

I think that you are mixing up the Parnell Pass and the season ticket. The 2013/14 Parnell Pass runs from May 2013 to April of 2014. It only entitles you to free admission to club games, home national league games and one AI ticket if Dublin makes it that far. It does not include admission to any Leinster Championship or All Ireland championship games. (The season ticket covers those.) As the Dublin club scene pretty much shuts down for the summer until the seniors are out of the AI champo, there isn't really much point in buying a PP any earlier than now, as the club scene won't get going again until next month, and the league games are still 5 months away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The GAA board Room in Croke Park

1003061_706360856046920_1255703320_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i know somebody with no interest in the GAA (doesnt even know what hurling is) and went to the final last sunday - 2 freebie tickets, both corporate.

they went for the pre match lunch, watching a few minutes of the game and left.

would make you sick and im sure theres alot more that were there with no interest like these two.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

i know somebody with no interest in the GAA (doesnt even know what hurling is) and went to the final last sunday - 2 freebie tickets, both corporate.

would make you sick and im sure theres alot more that were there with no interest like these two.

I can understand the frustration involved seeing this kind of stuff, and I too see it.

but the other point of view is that these corporate boxes are generally paid for by the investors into the GAA. They are the ones pumping the money in, so if they want to be there on the pinnacle game of the year to see the fruits of their investment, then as annoying as it is, its just the way it has to be.

As for the particular case, I'd reckon it is more rare than common, as most of the premium level and corporate boxes do go to people with a 'proper' interest and fans of the competing counties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The owners of the box paid good money for them ,they are entitled to do what they wish with them. do you think if we scrapped the corporate boxes there would suddenly be thousands more seats for the general public?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The system is not great, it rewards the die hard fans who always go e.g. parnell pass holders which is only right however it is difficult to get tickets thru clubs even if you are a member because the allocation is much smaller than the demand especially in larger counties dublin cork etc, but its practically impossible for people who aren't club members. Im not a member of any club but would go to a few Dublin games I don't think I should get a ticket based on 2 or 3 matches attended but surely Im higher up the list than some guy in a club who hasn't gone to any games but is mates with the guy in the club that does the allocating. Maybe a system where after a game during the season you could register your name and ticket number and this builds up an attendance profile so when the allocation is being done people with most attendences get preferential ticketing seems fair. Its also only right that people involved in running the organization at grass roots get invited to the big day however I would question how many of these types of tickets make their way into the hands of the fans anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

salmocab wrote: »
    The system is not great, it rewards the die hard fans who always go e.g. parnell pass holders which is only right however it is difficult to get tickets thru clubs even if you are a member because the allocation is much smaller than the demand especially in larger counties dublin cork etc, but its practically impossible for people who aren't club members. Im not a member of any club but would go to a few Dublin games I don't think I should get a ticket based on 2 or 3 matches attended but surely Im higher up the list than some guy in a club who hasn't gone to any games but is mates with the guy in the club that does the allocating. Maybe a system where after a game during the season you could register your name and ticket number and this builds up an attendance profile so when the allocation is being done people with most attendences get preferential ticketing seems fair. Its also only right that people involved in running the organization at grass roots get invited to the big day however I would question how many of these types of tickets make their way into the hands of the fans anyway.

The argument might be that many club members go to many club matches throughout the year, underage etc as oppsoed to going to a few county matches though any club members i know who go to club matches also go to county matches

salmocab wrote: »

This is already being done. It is how the season ticket works. When you first sign up for it, you are assigned an account profile. Your attendance at each game is logged as the season goes on. If you meet the 60% of games attended criteria, you are entitled to an AI final ticket. Don't really see how or why any other system could be brought in whereby individuals register their tickets as they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

ProudDUB wrote: »
    This is already being done. It is how the season ticket works. When you first sign up for it, you are assigned an account profile. Your attendance at each game is logged as the season goes on. If you meet the 60% of games attended criteria, you are entitled to an AI final ticket. Don't really see how or why any other system could be brought in whereby individuals register their tickets as they go.

Yeah I get that as I said in the first sentence, was only suggesting another way for people who don't have season tickets, I don't for a minute think that my idea will be taken by the GAA for use but just putting it out for discussion on the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 phileyn

Looking for any tickets for the game tomorrow, desperate at this stage!

Advertisement