Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Live - The TV Show

Options
1353637383941»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Enjoyed the chat about the rivalry with Argentina.

If only Contepomi and O'Gara got on as well as Quinlan and Lobbe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

O gara as boring as watching paint dry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Having attended Saturday night's soiree, I don't think I'd be telling tales with a few bits that I found interesting.

I'd say a good quarter of the crowd were pissed, not that it was the show's doing - they provided us with 3 drinks each between 7:30pm and 10pm, hardly enough to keep hydrated. Several lads took the opportunity to catch a few zzz's whilst waiting on the show to kick in, which is grand I guess.

There were 4 model type women who looked and acted like props located behind each couch 2 + 2. I don't know who they were or where they came from, but they weren't normal audience plebs like us. Seemed strange, considering that there were plenty of women there anyway.

ROG was off form from the get go, and legged it straight after the event whereas the rest of the guests milled around for a bit taking pictures etc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

connundrum wrote: »

ROG was off form from the get go, and legged it straight after the event whereas the rest of the guests milled around for a bit taking pictures etc.

ROG definitely seemed more grumpy than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,851 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

They did a good job of re-creating the set in Cardiff.

A few strategically placed pretty girls in the audience.
    Rte directors always do that . I remember hearing at a winning streak event which was broadcast at a local kids charity in the town the director guy made everyone stand in a line and he would position the best looking people in the cameras site

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Enjoyed the chat about UFC, I like when they cover more the obscure topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Brilliant chat with Noel McGrath regarding his cancer scare earlier in the year. Really puts into perspective the over-use of the word "brave" in sport.

Enjoyed the chat about UFC, I like when they cover more the obscure topics.

Still wouldn't be fan of the sport but I did find it interesting especially the stuff about being able to separate the mass marketed UFC kind of thing from the people who do MMA purely for themselves. I suppose most people, even fans of the sport, only see the product Dana White and co are selling and maybe we shouldn't judge the whole sport on that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is this working on the player for anyone?

I missed it so though I'd watch it back last night but kept getting an error message and it's the same story tonight.

I've tried it on both Chrome on Explorer but get the same message, I can watch other programs on the player though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

CatFromHue wrote: »

I missed it so though I'd watch it back last night but kept getting an error message and it's the same story tonight.

I've tried it on both Chrome on Explorer but get the same message, I can watch other programs on the player though.

It worked fine for me on the app this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

CatFromHue wrote: »

Just tried it on Chrome and it works for me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

yeah it's back working tonight but they were having a technical issue on the site that they've obviously solved now

Dunphy did a nice job skipping past that highly rated striker in that Spanish match, Ken's criticism was a bit harsh :pac:

McDevitt asking McGuinness some tough questions, he wasn't too happy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

McDevitt asking McGuinness some tough questions, he wasn't too happy about it.

Very good interview overall though. Once again the GAA main guest is far more interesting than the rugby ones. Could listen to Jim's insights all night, even if he was getting annoyed at McDevitt's line of questioning near the end.

And good one him sticking it the rugby lads on the Good Wall in one foul swoop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Very good interview overall though. Once again the GAA main guest is far more interesting than the rugby ones. Could listen to Jim's insights all night, even if he was getting annoyed at McDevitt's line of questioning near the end.

And good one him sticking it the rugby lads on the Good Wall in one foul swoop :D

Geez, very harsh to take O'Connell off that wall!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭Andrew Laeddis

I can't quite decide whether I like McDevitt's presenting style or whether I hate him.

Is he generally popular?

I can't quite decide whether I like McDevitt's presenting style or whether I hate him.

Is he generally popular?

Can't speak for others but I think he's great. I think he'd be great on a hard hitting investigative sports program, if we had such a thing. Sometimes the serious stuff can seem a bit heavy, particularly on the TV show when it's between things like Jack Charlton smoking a cigar and the Murph quiz bit.

Just watched the show there this morning.

McGuinness was uncomfortable with the questions but surely he can't be surprised by them? They spoke at length about the positives of his time with Donegal and outside of winning the two major talking points of his time there were the Kevin Cassidy issue and the eventual falling out with Gallagher. Of course people are going to ask about it.

Have to say I wasn't impressed with his Good Wall either. It's not even that he dropped BOD to 10 and took Paulie off entirely, it's his reasoning for it. He made a big deal about GAA being "our national sport" and two minutes precious he's talking about how great it is working for Celtic and doing his soccer coaching badges. Get off your high horse, Jim. (and that's coming from a Donegal supporter)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Have to say I wasn't impressed with his Good Wall either. It's not even that he dropped BOD to 10 and took Paulie off entirely, it's his reasoning for it. He made a big deal about GAA being "our national sport" and two minutes precious he's talking about how great it is working for Celtic and doing his soccer coaching badges. Get off your high horse, Jim. (and that's coming from a Donegal supporter)

To be precise he said Gaelic football was our national sport which may be news to the hurling fraternity also.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

According to the podcast, Jim thought he could shift everyone around as he felt like, but got stopped after those 2 changes, so the end product wasn't quite what he intended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

Now that the series is over, it's worth seeing where we are.

I'm a big fan, but it still feels slightly too raw and amateurish for my liking. For example, the camera bouncing around so much I had to look away during the McGuinness interview. Or the audio with McDevitt being drowned out by audience cheering. A few issues like that which should have been well resolved by now.

Still, great show. And I'd hate if it became too polished and formulaic by following the conventions that almost all other TV shows seem to have to follow.

2016 wrote: »
    According to the podcast, Jim thought he could shift everyone around as he felt like, but got stopped after those 2 changes, so the end product wasn't quite what he intended.

Yeah, I listened to that alright.

What he wanted to do was nearly possible with the 2 moves he's allowed to make, he just did it wrong, but as we stand now the wall has been decimated! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭weadick

2016 wrote: »
    Now that the series is over, it's worth seeing where we are.

I'm a big fan, but it still feels slightly too raw and amateurish for my liking. For example, the camera bouncing around so much I had to look away during the McGuinness interview. Or the audio with McDevitt being drowned out by audience cheering. A few issues like that which should have been well resolved by now.

Still, great show. And I'd hate if it became too polished and formulaic by following the conventions that almost all other TV shows seem to have to follow.

One thing that really annoys me about the interviews on Second Captains is the constant close ups of peoples faces as they are getting interviewed, gradually zooming in as they speak. It's something you only see on rte chat shows and is really annoying.

weadick wrote: »
    One thing that really annoys me about the interviews on Second Captains is the constant close ups of peoples faces as they are getting interviewed, gradually zooming in as they speak. It's something you only see on rte chat shows and is really annoying.

The way the set is set up makes it difficult to just point a camera and shoot but yeah.... there's no need for the extreme close ups. One camera on Owen and Ciaran/Ken, one camera on the guest and one wide shot. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Have been listening to Matt Cooper on Today Fm last few nights. Have heard ken Early on twice, latest was this evening. Is this a permanent thing? has it been going on for a while?

Sorry for asking it here as i cant find a Matt Cooper thread

• Registered Users Posts: 19,581 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    Have been listening to Matt Cooper on Today Fm last few nights. Have heard ken Early on twice, latest was this evening. Is this a permanent thing? has it been going on for a while?

Sorry for asking it here as i cant find a Matt Cooper thread

Woah, really?

Am I going to have to listen to Matt Cooper now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Woah, really?

Am I going to have to listen to Matt Cooper now?

Its only about 5-10 minutes of the show so not really worth it.

He has been on at least 2 nights in last week but I ament a regular listener. It makes a nice change to mark Lawrenson. He is introduced as Ken Early of second captains.

Advertisement