Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death.

Options
  • 05-09-2013 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭

Only ever seen one person die and it wasn't a case of slipping away peacefully.
    Is it normally an easy process or more like a Saw movie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

kneemos wrote: »

It's as easy as you make, bring the right tools and it shouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

A bit like saw, those nurses work those long hours because those traps dont set themselves up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Grim thread should die quick death

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

Very vague question. Depends what is causing the person to die!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

I find if you approach from BEHIND and smother them with a pillow, its alot easier due to the no eye contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

kfk wrote: »
    Very vague question. Depends what is causing the person to die!

Well natural causes I suppose.
    Such and such passed away peacefully is a common expression,but how often does it actually happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Like Ronseal - Exactly what it says on the tin!

If they say such and such slipped away peacefully and surrounded by family chances are they slipped away peacefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

Such and such passed away peacefully is a common expression,but how often does it actually happen?

When I go, I want it to be sudden. Heart attack, brain hemorrhage etc. Those would be the most peaceful I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

If they say such and such slipped away peacefully and surrounded by family chances are they slipped away peacefully!

Well they can hardly put "Passed away, surrounded by family and Auntie Mary choking her" in the paper can they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I hope I go peacefully in my sleep like my grandad did.

Not kicking and screaming like the 43passengers on the bus he was supposed to be drivin at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

kfk wrote: »
    When I go, I want it to be sudden. Heart attack, brain hemorrhage etc. Those would be the most peaceful I reckon

I don't mind if I go suddenly or not but as long as there's plenty of innocent bystanders I'd be happy.

wazky wrote: »
    Well they can hardly put "Passed away, surrounded by family and Auntie Mary choking her" in the paper can they?

You'd be surprised what they put in the paper these days!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Well this is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

All those dogs really go to live on a farm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

wazky wrote: »
    I find if you approach from BEHIND and smother them with a pillow, its alot easier due to the no eye contact.

Completely agree. Fewer night mares afterwards. On both sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Natural causes can include a lot of diseases, some deaths can be brutal. However, nobody is going to say 'he/she died screaming' in an obituary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....well if you're in a hospital, odds are they can dope you up to the eyeballs, so its really only going to be accidents, war, shootings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

My dad died of heart failure, was very poorly for I suppose a week, then I'd say 3 absolutely horrible days of not being able to breathe but still being conscious till his heart finally gave up and he passed. I've had other relations die of cancer but I was young and I only have vague recollections of it being bad.

Yeah, death is easy its the dying bit that often sucks balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Well, I'm sure glad I opened this thread.:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sudden and massive heart attack will fell you like a tree. 3-4 seconds and lights out. Rapid onset of pneumonia would have you go out by hypoxia again an easy way out. A major artery in the stomach etc letting go another easy way. Bad ways? Anything to do with liver failure. Horrible horrible end for the most part. Various cancers other baddies, though pain meds are a great comfort there. Dementia? Jesus no way. Its like watching the human soul dying before your eyes.

TBH I can't see why we even have a debate about euthanasia. Put it another way, if vets left our pets to linger on with no hope of cure and suffer doing so the way doctors are forced to treat people, they'd likely be struck off. Me if I was on the way out with no hope I'd love to be in the position of Sigmund Freud in his last days. He had agreed with a good mate doctor to finish him off when his jaw cancer got to the stage of pure misery and his good friend stepped up with the morphine when the time came.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Such a cheerful and uplifting thread title, couldn't wait to click it ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sudden and massive heart attack will fell you like a tree. 3-4 seconds and lights out. Rapid onset of pneumonia would have you go out by hypoxia again an easy way out. A major artery in the stomach etc letting go another easy way. Bad ways? Anything to do with liver failure. Horrible horrible end for the most part. Various cancers other baddies, though pain meds are a great comfort there. Dementia? Jesus no way. Its like watching the human soul dying before your eyes.

I lost my cousin aged 49 to Ovarian Cancer with liver mets. Her liver failed in the end, but she was in hospice four days before going. There was absolutely NO pain, distress, or any agitation. And she spoke to us happily twelve or so hours before she passed.

Palliative care is amazing nowadays.

So do not be afraid.

Hospital settings might be different, but they all have palliative care teams now.

Death to me is like being asleep. And God how many times have I fallen asleep and woke up not knowing I fell asleep! That's what death is, and none of this dying roaring business please.

Lots of people have seen relatives and friends dying. Let's see it as part of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Dying is the bad part, at least we can look forward to zombie reanimation!

My nanny died in January after a 4 year battle with various illnesses - watching her over the years was horrendous for all involved!

She decided many years ago to donate her body to medical science. All the documents were in place!

She asked to die by euthanasia many times, obviously we couldn't bring her abroad as A she wouldn't survive the flight and B she couldn't donate her body then!

It took two full weeks for her to die in the end, she was speaking up to two days before she passed away. The morning of the day she died she slipped into unconsciousness and 11 hours later she passed away with her husband and all of her children and grandchildren around her. It was quite peaceful and a release in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

Why do you want to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Awfully stupid question really.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Elbaston

Oh I won't be sticking around to see that part of the show.

I really don't know why they don't have some kind of patient operated cattle gun contraption in hospices, not really much point at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Buzz, killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gidget

I've watched 3 relatives die, there was almost 4 but I missed his passing by 10mins as we were all rushing in to get to him on time!
    2 out of the 3 were a few days dying & we pretty much camped out at the hospital waiting as we knew it was coming soon so when they finally did pass it was a bit of a relief to not just me but to the others as they were finally out of their suffering.
    The other one was the one that sticks with me the most was my aunt who was only 37 & everything happened so suddenly between getting the news & rushing up to be at her bedside to be with her in her final moments. That one particularly had more of an impact on me as everything happened so fast & between the funeral happening so quickly after it took a long time for it to finally sink in what had really happened. It was almost 8 years ago now but even now I would still think of her a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Elbaston

anncoates wrote: »
    Buzz, killed.

What method was used ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement