Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA V on PC?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

gizmo wrote: »
    People really really need to read up on what x86 actually is. :o

As for the PC version in general, with the work that took place on the engine for Max Payne 3 I'd imagine we'll see a better initial launch than GTA IV at least. As for the company in charge of doing the port, I imagine it'll be Rockstar Leeds with additional help from North.

Thats a good point actually. I absolutely love Max Payne 3 on the PC and whilst playing it I always had a thought in the back of my mind wondering how much of this was a test bed for GTAV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Didn't Nvidia let it slip to investors that it was in the pipeline? Admittedly they immediately claimed they had made a mistake, but interesting nonetheless.

Nvidia are saying it was a mistake but one they seemed to repeat in an Investor meeting and in an statement to media and tech partners

Nvidia will also have a lot of commuinication with devs as Nvidia will be supplying tools to devs

They said it will be out this year but we will see.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'd be shocked if they didn't port it at some time. It's as close to a guaranteed profit on PC as I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Due to the piracy of GTA IV on PC there's a good chance GTA V will never be ported over from consoles.

That was why Gears of War 2 never made it to PC (according to Epic).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

C14N wrote: »
    That was why Gears of War 2 never made it to PC (according to Epic).

That's just an excuse.
    If that was really the case then there wouldn't be any companies releasing games on PC, never mind making PC exclusives.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    That's just an excuse.
    If that was really the case then there wouldn't be any companies releasing games on PC, never mind making PC exclusives.

Well I'd imagine most companies figure it is worth it to give it a go since they still make something back on it, especially in the last few years, PC gaming seems to have become a lot more popular since Cliff Blezinski made his statement about PC not being viable for major games. Why else would they refuse to make it on PC?

Side note: funnily enough, it looks like just about the only way to get Gears 1 on PC now is through piracy. It seems to be impossible to find a copy that isn't an absurd price. I can find it on Amazon for $100 Canadian, but it's not on Steam, Origin, Uplay, GMG, Gamefly etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

do you guys think gta5 will look better graphically on pc vs. console

do you guys think gta5 will look better graphically on pc vs. console

Definitely PC. This isn't one of those "PC always looks better mwahahaha" type of things, it's just that this is a game coming out on consoles that are basically as old as consoles can get so their hardware is further behind the PC right now than it will be for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Pretty sure he was trolling :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

C14N wrote: »
    Definitely PC. This isn't one of those "PC always looks better mwahahaha" type of things, it's just that this is a game coming out on consoles that are basically as old as consoles can get so their hardware is further behind the PC right now than it will be for a long time.

but have they coded the game to console specs, if so do they rewrite the code for PC?.....or is the console version just set at medium quality settings, PC wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

but have they coded the game to console specs, if so do they rewrite the code for PC?.....or is the console version just set at medium quality settings, PC wise.
    The engine itself is extremely scalable already so off the bat it will support a range of graphical effects and resolutions that simply aren't possible on the current gen consoles. Max Payne 3 is a perfect example of this. What the current version of GTA V more than likely lacks now is the higher quality art assets to go along with this higher bar for visual fidelity. Whether or not Rockstar choose to work on these remain to be seen but insofar as the code, outside of some game-specific optimisation work they may need to do, they should be good to go.

I'm fairly certain that almost all multi-platform games are made for consoles first, then ported to PC. Software optimisation can go a long way but it's kind of implausible to think it would outdo 7 years of improved hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

if it does come to pc lets hope it runs well and has AA unlike 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Is it getting re-released for the new consoles?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Grimebox wrote: »
    Is it getting re-released for the new consoles?

Someone had a look through some config file or other on the 360 version and it referenced the PC and PS4, no word on a Xbox one version from that but if it's being done for PS4 then it's likely for ONE.

Advertisement