Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Environmental vandalism in Cabinteely Park

Options
  • 04-09-2013 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Dun Laoghaire Co Co have applied (to themselves)for planning permission fora private company on a for profit basis to open a zip wire high rope adventure course in Cabinteely Park.This will entail the destruction of at least 32 viable mature trees, local vehicular access incl coaches, increase car parking by at least 100 cars and attract a projected 100,000 visitors per annum.All in favour of fresh air and exercise but why destruct these beautiful trees. Shame on the councillors and the council

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Zip wires???

What about the health and safety????

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sounds like a way of the council to gain an income to help pay for the long term upkeep of the park.

Before I Jump on the band wagon I'd like to see the plans

Have you objected to the planning or asked to view the EIS?

A quick google and I found the plans and EIA.
    Too late to do anything, planning was applied for in Nov 2012.
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/aboutus/councildepartments/planning/proposedpart8schemes/

The car park will utilise the existing works yard..... I think you need to read up before getting alarmed

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

I want this guy to pick my Euromillions numbers:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81832984&postcount=6

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

zmccomish wrote: »
    Dun Laoghaire Co Co have applied (to themselves)for planning permission fora private company on a for profit basis to open a zip wire high rope adventure course in Cabinteely Park.This will entail the destruction of at least 32 viable mature trees, local vehicular access incl coaches, increase car parking by at least 100 cars and attract a projected 100,000 visitors per annum.All in favour of fresh air and exercise but why destruct these beautiful trees. Shame on the councillors and the council

If you didn't bother your hoop putting in an objection at the time, there's no point posting now.

I like trees, I also like parks, I particularly like parks that are self-financing so ensuring that they can stay open for the public to enjoy. If a few trees have to be taken down, or moved, then so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I like trees, I also like parks, I particularly like parks that are self-financing so ensuring that they can stay open for the public to enjoy. If a few trees have to be taken down, or moved, then so be it.

+1 Chopping down 32 trees to provide facilities to entertain 100,000 visitors annually sounds like a good deal to me.

OP, what ratio of people to a single tree would you consider acceptable?

No doubt people like you shrieked in horror when they chopped down a few hundred trees in the southern section of Hyde Park in London to make room for the Great Exhibition in 1851. They never replanted the trees, it has remained an open space and hundreds of people play football there every day.

People are more important than trees.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 Chopping down 32 trees to provide facilities to entertain 100,000 visitors annually sounds like a good deal to me.

OP, what ratio of people to a single tree would you consider acceptable?

No doubt people like you shrieked in horror when they chopped down a few hundred trees in the southern section of Hyde Park in London to make room for the Great Exhibition in 1851. They never replanted the trees, it has remained an open space and hundreds of people play football there every day.

TBF, that's just a ridiculous argument. Bringing that to it's logical conclusion, why not chop down all trees and maximise space for football then?

It's all about proportionality. Thankfully trees can be replaced too if this endeavour fails.

I like trees though, for me personally, a ratio of 1:10,000 would seem about right. Chop one tree down per 10,000 more visitors. I think we should have more parks dedicated to trees. We have enough football pitches thanks, more forests and native woodlands please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

coylemj wrote: »
    +

I hope you are not serious.

Just to be clear. Dun Laoghaire CoCo commissioned a very elaborate, comprehensive tree planting report initiative 2009 - 20011. Unfortunately, none or indeed very little has been implemented. Not sure if you have noticed nor many of your fellow citizens, but we have had an unprecedented amount of trees removed in the borough and not replaced over the last 10 years. Most of the citizens don´t give a toss.

I have challenged them on this, but faced nothing but fob off excuses and empty responses. I would be glad to voluntarily plant for them, but would of course need their agreement and support, but my offers have fell on deaf ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

I would have thought the park had enough open space that the zip wire could have been constructed without chopping down trees.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

grew up in the area and i would LOVE this to happen, the park is under utilised completely imo, get more in there and it might spark life back into the wshopping strip by the girls school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Chinasea wrote: »
    I hope you are not serious.

Just to be clear. Dun Laoghaire CoCo commissioned a very elaborate, comprehensive tree planting report initiative 2009 - 20011. Unfortunately, none or indeed very little of which has been implemented. Not sure if you have noticed nor many of your fellow citizens, but we have had an unprecidented amount of trees removed in the borough and not replaced over the last 10 years. Most of the citizens don´t give a toss.

Well isn't democracy just a pain!

Like most self-styled 'environmentalists', clearly you know better.

View wrote: »
    I would have thought the park had enough open space that the zip wire could have been constructed without chopping down trees.

The zip wire needs trees, open space is useless, its like playing football in a forest

Look at the plans its muchore than a zip line. Lough key in Sligo has an established place look it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I think it's the same crowd that are up in Kilmashogue.

Tragedy wrote: »
    I think it's the same crowd that are up in Kilmashogue.

Speculation or do you actually know?

http://www.zipit.ie/about-us/

ted1 wrote: »
    Speculation or do you actually know?

http://www.zipit.ie/about-us/

They're the only company in Ireland that provide 'adventure' zip-lining, the rest just provide a very, very long zip line. They also have previous with DLR, as the Tibradden/Kilmashogue zip course is in DLR. The description of the course(colours, difficulties, age groups) also seems to match the Tibradden course.

But it's so close to the other one and would be in direct competition.
    The guys who run carlinggord lough or the guys who run the place in court town may also have put in a submission or a international crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 23,824 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its xtreme.ie. article in todays indo about Neil Francis linking up with the local opposition to it. Gwan da Franno, itll be the first thing youll have won

Strange, they haven't ran anything like this before!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Gadfly Girl

The local Sinn Fein person was expressing concern about the trees being removed on her facebook a few weeks ago. I think it's foolish to be removing trees, we need them to survive...surely they can put in the zip wire without removing trees?

The local Sinn Fein person was expressing concern about the trees being removed on her facebook a few weeks ago. I think it's foolish to be removing trees, we need them to survive...surely they can put in the zip wire without removing trees?

Have you read the ESI? How many trees do you think are cut down daily by Coilete?
    Do you not think that the 100,000 visitors will see nature as a beautiful thing after there experience and as a result a great number will be saved.

Also do Sinn Fein actually have a elected representing in the area because if they don't then he represents no one and is an individual whose nature it is to oppose everything.

You say its foolish tell me what qualifications have you to make such comment? What tangible effect will cutting 32 trees have in a dense area, will the remainder trees not flourish. There's several thousand trees in the park, the tree census is availae in y earlier link see for yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Op, is being silly about this. Trees are renewable. How many are being cut down each year for paper. All it takes is for someone to plant 32 seeds and get Preston you get both facilities for people now and 32 trees for future generation's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

All it takes is for someone to plant 32 seeds and get Preston you get both facilities for people now and 32 trees for future generation's

In theory yes. But theory is all that is happening in the borough. There is a serious lack of planting over the last few decades in the borough. Have a good hard look around you and then comment.

Of the small handful of trees that were planted in recent years, many have died off as there was absolutely NO crucial aftercare or proper support provided to them for the first few years.

Sadly, many of the trees that were planted in the 'Kingstown' era have died off also, and have never been replaced. If you walk along the seafront in Dun Laoghaire you will see the paved over spaces that once had beautiful trees planted. :mad: Bit by bit these old trees are dying and systematically removed BUT NOTT replaced.

As I mentioned, DLRDCoCo have an elaborate expensive 'tree strategy' that was only recently commissioned but not implemented. I would gladly go about planting trees for the CoCo voluntarily if they would allow me, but this too seems to fall on deaf ears. URGE YOUR CoCo to implement this 'strategy', they are relying on you to keep your eye off the ball:eek:

Kingstown? Borough? Are you looking at saplings cos you're in the 19th century..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Kingstown? Borough? Are you looking at saplings cos you're in the 19th century..

He was specifically referring to all the trees planted during the period that DL was referred to as Kingstown, primarily because they actually appreciated the streets back then and made an effort to beautify them. Borough is an entirely valid, common, current word as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Borough is an entirely valid, common, current word as well.

Dun Laoghaire isn't a borough and hasn't been since 1994 (when Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown was created), so the term is invalid.

There are now no boroughs apart from Kilkenny where the title is honorific as its administration is essentially the same as a town.

Indeed, a County it is, albeit without a GAA team.

I must say I don't think the streets are unappreciated or ugly, in fact compared to many suburban areas I have been in, they are among the most attractive, greenest and well kept of any in Ireland or Europe

The Kingstown Town Commission may have been enlightened when it came to planting, but the age of those mature examples now mean many are at the end of their life or causing signficant surrounding ground damage.

Having clients with mature trees on their properties who are looking to build, I know that managing trees of that age, not to mention the health and safety implications of old trees in public spaces is very costly in time and money. To me public spaces aren't picture postcards, they should be open to the maximum use, while protecting the fundamentals. If a commercial venture creates some money to plough back into the management of parks, without privatising large areas of parkland, then Id be in favour of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

View wrote: »
    Dun Laoghaire isn't a borough and hasn't been since 1994 (when Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown was created), so the term is invalid.

There are now no boroughs apart from Kilkenny where the title is honorific as its administration is essentially the same as a town.

It's "the borough" to the people that live in it.

* to some people. I don't know anyone who calls it " the borough " in fact more people I know call it " the burbs"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Not me :)

• Advertisement

Me neither, my Grandad called it the borough and there used to be little sail boat crest signs on the main roads where you entered it. In the 80s.

Advertisement