Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cervical cancer vaccine

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Jumboman wrote: »
    Are the girls who suffered directly from the hpv vaccine not good enough evidence that the vaccine is dangerous ?

Who do you want to believe doctor$ or the victims of the vaccine.

It was only in the 1960s that they had peer reviewed evidence that showed tobacco was harmful to peoples health.

If you blindly believe what doctors tell you, you do so at your own your own pearl.

I learned the hard way not to trust doctors advice especially were their is money involved you can not trust them when they say x treatment is perfectly safe.

I've said it once already, back up any of your claims with evidence, ideally from a peer reviewed journal.
    I'll simply delete any more posts which make claims that are not backed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jennytightlips

Excuse my ignorance on this but what are the main side effects from this vaccine?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Excuse my ignorance on this but what are the main side effects from this vaccine?

As per NetDoctor.co.uk

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/sex-and-relationships/medicines/gardasil.html

Side effects

This vaccine contains no live virus and so cannot cause infection with HPV or any of the diseases HPV can cause.
    Vaccines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this vaccine. Just because a side effect is stated here does not mean that all people receiving this vaccine will experience that or any side effect.
    Very common (affect more than 1 in 10 people)

• Pain, redness or swelling at the injection site.
    • Fever.
    • Headache.

Common (affect between 1 in 10 and 1 in 100 people)

• Bruising or itching at the injection site.
    • Feeling sick.
    • Pain in extremities.

Rare (affect between 1 in 1000 and 1 in 10,000 people)

• Itchy skin rash (hives).

Very rare (affect less than 1 in 10,000 people)

• Narrowing of the airways, as occurs in an asthma attack (bronchospasm).

Unknown frequency (reported since the vaccine has been on the market)

• Swollen glands.
    • Vomiting.
    • Dizziness.
    • Fainting in response to the injection.
    • Aching muscles or joints.
    • Feeling weak, tired or generally unwell.
    • Chills.
    • Allergic reactions.
    • Skin infection at the injection site (cellulitis).

The side effects listed above may not include all of the side effects reported by the vaccine's manufacturer.For more information about any other possible risks associated with this vaccine, please read the information provided with the vaccine or consult your doctor or pharmacist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

RobFowl wrote: »

I've said it once already, back up any of your claims with evidence, ideally from a peer reviewed journal.
    I'll simply delete any more posts which make claims that are not backed up.

They have stopped the vaccine in japan does that not concern you ?

http://sanevax.org/breaking-news-japan-and-hpv-vaccines/

Citizens of Japan suffering from convulsions, seizures, severe headaches, partial paralysis and a host of other adverse events after submitting to HPV vaccinations have petitioned their government health officials to permanently suspend the use of 'cervical cancer' vaccines. According to testimony presented to the National Health Ministry by Dr. Sotaro Sato, who has examined many of the injured girls:
    "...the convulsions, inability to walk, and involuntary movements of hands and toes were caused by encephalomyelitis, or inflammation of the brain and spinal cord. Cervical cancer vaccines, which are chemically bound to special types of adjuvants, often trigger encephalomyelitis. Since the vaccines cause auto-antibodies against the brain's neuronal fibers to be produced in many cases, they have triggered demyelinating disorders. They have also induced many cases of cerebral vasculitis."

They have stopped the vaccine in japan does that not concern you ?

http://sanevax.org/breaking-news-japan-and-hpv-vaccines/

Citizens of Japan suffering from convulsions, seizures, severe headaches, partial paralysis and a host of other adverse events after submitting to HPV vaccinations have petitioned their government health officials to permanently suspend the use of 'cervical cancer' vaccines. According to testimony presented to the National Health Ministry by Dr. Sotaro Sato, who has examined many of the injured girls:
    "...the convulsions, inability to walk, and involuntary movements of hands and toes were caused by encephalomyelitis, or inflammation of the brain and spinal cord. Cervical cancer vaccines, which are chemically bound to special types of adjuvants, often trigger encephalomyelitis. Since the vaccines cause auto-antibodies against the brain's neuronal fibers to be produced in many cases, they have triggered demyelinating disorders. They have also induced many cases of cerebral vasculitis."

They haven't stopped the vaccine they have partially suspended the program. See a report on it here from the Lancet

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2813%2961831-0/fulltext

The Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare (MHLW) partially suspended the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccination programme in June, 2013. Although HPV vaccination has just been included in the routine vaccination schedule and publicly funded since April 2013, a new MHLW directive advises prefectural governors not to actively recommend the vaccine, and to cease all vaccine promotion. However, health facilities are to continue to offer parents seeking the vaccine full support, and facilitate vaccine access. Such advice obviously creates enormous confusion for public health officials, doctors, and parents. A joint meeting of the Vaccine Adverse Reactions Review Committee (VARRC) has indicated that they might remove HPV vaccination from the schedule, despite evidence of its cost-effectiveness in Japan.1
    This directive was issued due to fears of adverse events, especially complex regional pain syndrome. However, the present system of reporting adverse events does not follow a systematic process for identifying causality; a rigorous scientific approach is needed to investigate adverse events associated with HPV vaccines.2 Furthermore, the decision to suspend the vaccination programme was taken by a 3:2 vote of the VARRC, without presentation of adequate scientific evidence. Japan's vaccination system suffers from a failure of governance—also reflected in other aspects of the vaccination schedule. Mumps, adult pneumococcal, rotavirus, and hepatitis B vaccines have yet to be introduced in the routine schedule, even though they are recommended by WHO; and other vaccinations (such as Haemophilus influenzae type b and pneumococcal conjugate vaccination) have been introduced without proper cost-effectiveness assessment.

• Advertisement

www.naturalnews.com has good articles on the HPV vaccine I recommend that site as starting point for anyone who wants info on the HPV vaccine.

Also Dr Peter Duesberg (microbiologist) wrote a paper questioning the link between the "hpv virus" and cancer Ill try and find a link for that paper and post it here.

www.naturalnews.com has good articles on the HPV vaccine I recommend that site as starting point for anyone who wants info on the HPV vaccine.

Also Dr Peter Duesberg (microbiologist) wrote a paper questioning the link between the "hpv virus" and cancer Ill try and find a link for that paper and post it here.

That website is subject to a lot of criticism...
    As per wikipedia

Among its most outspoken critics are David Gorski of ScienceBlogs,[10] who has called it "one of the most wretched hives of scum and quackery on the Internet," and the most "blatant purveyor of the worst kind of quackery and paranoid anti-physician and anti-medicine conspiracy theories anywhere on the Internet",[11] as well as Peter Bowditch of the website Ratbags,[12] and Jeff McMahon writing for Forbes.[13] Steven Novella has called NaturalNews "a crank alt med site that promotes every sort of medical nonsense imaginable. If it is unscientific, antiscientific, conspiracy-mongering, or downright silly, Mike Adams appears to be all for it – whatever sells the "natural" products he hawks on his site.".[14]
    Other critics of Adams' website include astronomer and blogger Phil Plait,[15] PZ Myers,[16] Mark Hoofnagle[17] and Brian Dunning, who listed it as #1 on his "Top 10 Worst Anti-Science Websites" list.[18] Adams is listed as a "promoter of questionable methods" by Quackwatch[19] and Robert T. Carroll at The Skeptic's Dictionary has said, "Natural News is not a very good source for information. If you don't trust me on this, go to Respectful Insolence or any of the other bloggers on ScienceBlogs and do a search for "Natural News" or "Mike Adams" (who is NaturalNews). Hundreds of entries will be found and not one of them will have a good word to say about Mike Adams as a source."[20]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I learned the hard way not to trust doctors advice especially were their is money involved you can not trust them when they say x treatment is perfectly safe.

No doctor would claim that X-ray treatment is 'perfectly' safe or would advise you to have it unless you needed it. It involves radiation and so a small amount of risk.
    Any vaccine, like any everything else, involves risk but being unvaccinated exposes you to far greater risk that is why I'm delighted that my daughters were able to have this vaccine. Since you seem to be impressed by anecdotal evidence from individuals I can tell you they suffered no ill-effects what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Was this paper published in a peer reviewed journal of science?

Here is one that I would trust more, its from the American Journal of Clinical Pathology which "complies with International Committee of Medical Journal Editors’ Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts": http://ajcp.ascpjournals.org/content/121/4/537.full.pdf
    In it you can see a picture of a dysplastic cervical epithelial cell stained to show the HPV viral protein within it (Image 2)

For anyone with genuine concerns about the vaccine, please don't give youtube videos and blogs too much credence. They are one persons opinion. The opinion of healthcare professionals is based on that individuals experience plus a lot of scientific research monitored by many other scientists.
    The HSE information about the school vaccination programme: http://www.hse.ie/eng/health/az/H/HPV-vaccination/
    Manufacters patient information leaflet for the vaccine used in the above programme (see pages 2+3 for reactions/side effects): http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/g/gardasil/gardasil_ppi.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

...Also Dr Peter Duesberg (microbiologist) wrote a paper questioning the link between the "hpv virus" and cancer Ill try and find a link for that paper and post it here.

Would that be the same Peter Duesberg who claims that HIV doesn't cause AIDS?

• Advertisement

echo beach wrote: »
    No doctor would claim that X-ray treatment is 'perfectly' safe or would advise you to have it unless you needed it. It involves radiation and so a small amount of risk.
    Any vaccine, like any everything else, involves risk but being unvaccinated exposes you to far greater risk that is why I'm delighted that my daughters were able to have this vaccine. Since you seem to be impressed by anecdotal evidence from individuals I can tell you they suffered no ill-effects what so ever.

I was talking about treatments in general not any particular treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Yes watch this documentary and tell me you still believe that hiv causes aids.

Didn't take as long as I thought. At 30 seconds it claims that 10 people die a second from AIDS. Nobody dies from AIDS.

Youtube is not a peer reviewed source of scientific information. This is the Health Sciences forum. I personally think that your youtube links belong in the Conspiracy Theories forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

jumboman, you were asked repeatedly to back up your claims with peer reviewed articles, yet you come out with more YouTube links and virusmyth.com. posts deleted as per previous warning.

take it to conspiracy theories. this is a science forum.

do not post in this thread again, or you will be banned. no further warning.

So much for open debate...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

"Open debate", in the Science forum, means debate based on science. I suggest you learn to live with it.

ps. Did you ever pay your doctor's bill?

(Mods: Not sure if this constitutes "Back seat modding" or not. If you feel it does, please feel free to delete.)

"Open debate", in the Science forum, means debate based on science. I suggest you learn to live with it.

ps. Did you ever pay your doctor's bill?

(Mods: Not sure if this constitutes "Back seat modding" or not. If you feel it does, please feel free to delete.)

I did pose a scientific question about the issue but it was deleted I have now been gagged from talking about the issue.

It seems people here have a religious belief system when it comes to mainstream medicine which can never be questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

There is plenty of questioning of mainstream medicine here and in every forum that is truly scientific. That is how science works. People have a theory, an idea, and they try to find evidence or proof that either backs up their idea or shows that it is wrong.

Science doesn't always get the answers, and often the answer we get isn't the one we would like but if you don't like the answer you have to find proof that it is wrong. You can't just say 'I say it is wrong' and here are a few people who agree with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

sam34 wrote: »
    jumboman, you were asked repeatedly to back up your claims with peer reviewed articles, yet you come out with more YouTube links and virusmyth.com.

take it to conspiracy theories. this is a science forum.

do not post in this thread again, or you will be banned. no further warning.
    So much for open debate...
    I did pose a scientific question about the issue but it was deleted I have now been gagged from talking about the issue.

It seems people here have a religious belief system when it comes to mainstream medicine which can never be questioned.

don't say you weren't warned. banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Holy God. A level of restraint shown that I would be unlikely able to match.

Advertisement