Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Anthem

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Again, you're saying the song is not worthy of respect, which is not the same as arguing why Interrupting it is not disrespectful.

To givee you an analogy. If I start yabbing on my phone during mass I could argue that the church is not worthy of respect, but I couldn't sincerely say it's not being disrespectful

I'd agree with you that one shouldn't interupt it. Sorry for the confusion. I'm just saying the wearing of hats, singing and standing are not and shouldn't be the concern of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Whatever about the national anthem and caps.

I think the artane boys band have seen there day at half time.

I mean they play nothing that gets the crowd going, their drum section is tiny so you can barely get a feel for what ever crappy tune they do play.

I think they need some larger band to stand in with a far more entertaining repertoire.

Or maybe thats Croke Parks ploy to bore people into going out to the bars are half time and get them juiced up...

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

it's a short thread, look 6 posts above yours.

Its a declaration of boredom and indifference.

It's disrespectful to not give some one or something your attention. If a teacher is teaching and you're talking to your mate, your parent is talking and you're watching TV, your friend in the pub and you're texting. Its rude.

Wearing a hat is something I wouldn't do, but it doesn't upset me if you don't. One idea behind taking off your hat is that you are making a positive action to show you are being respectful.
    Shouting during the anthem does bother me, you are imposing your view on me and preventing me from listening to the anthem in full. You could wait 20 seconds and cheer and we would both be happy.

I saw that post 6 up but like yours, it doesn't make sense so I didn't accept that as a proper answer. If you are wearing a hat, does that means you are automatically bored and therefore not singing the national anthem? I don't buy it.

I was wondering if there is some kind of law in place or it's just one of these things considered good manners by other people. If it's the latter then it holds absolutely no meaning and shouldn't stop people wearing hats during national anthems. Just because some people find something disrespectful or offensive doesn't mean it is the same for everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Next there will be a thread, about folding your arms for the National Anthem, instead of having them by your front or behind your back...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Next there will be a thread, about folding your arms for the National Anthem, instead of having them by your front or behind your back...:rolleyes:

No there wont everyone knows to be a true gael you have to put them behind your back :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Romantic Ireland's dead and gone,
    It's with O'Leary in the grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Basic etiquette during anthem:

Face towards the Irish flag
    Keep quiet during it or sing it

Simple. Tbh the cheering on of ones team during the last line of the anthem has become commonplace and it is what it is. No probs there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

What has started to annoy me during the national anthem is teams breaking away before it ends or players starting to talk to each other.

Stand together and respect the anthem and wait until the end.

The national anthem is an integral part of the match day atmosphere on championship day in my opinion , and i agree, for croke park championship days, the Artane boys band and no singers please.

We were all reared on the artane boys band:)

P.s dont start me on Paul Collins from today fm, pitchside on match day:D , oh how i would love to shove a spud in that fellas gob.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,341 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

andrew1977 wrote: »
    We were all reared on the artane boys band:)

They are completely and utter terrible though, no redeeming features whatsoever.
    Just because they have always been there is a really bad reason to keep having them there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

They are completely and utter terrible though, no redeeming features whatsoever.
    Just because they have always been there is a really bad reason to keep having them there.

Thats your opinon and I have mine,
    I would prefer the artane boys music and the crowd singing the anthem then some singer bellowing their version of the national anthem down a microphone and the crowd unsure how to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Lads there is no such thing as the Artane Boys Band and hasn't been for a number of years, ye are fight over something that doesn't exist ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dr.Tank Adams

I think that's a bit pedantic to be honest, I think the real disrespect is when people start cheering before the anthem is even finished, usually around the start of the last line, you think they'd just wait until the anthem was completed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

TBH, its a national anthem, so its sing it all or be quiet for me but each to their own, I wouldn't mind if they dropped it and the boys band either. I don't really see the point in it , or bringing a tricolour to a game, you are in Ireland with Irish people its a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

lahalane wrote: »
    I saw that post 6 up but like yours, it doesn't make sense so I didn't accept that as a proper answer. If you are wearing a hat, does that means you are automatically bored and therefore not singing the national anthem? I don't buy it.

I was wondering if there is some kind of law in place or it's just one of these things considered good manners by other people. If it's the latter then it holds absolutely no meaning and shouldn't stop people wearing hats during national anthems. Just because some people find something disrespectful or offensive doesn't mean it is the same for everybody else.

You made no mention of hats. I thought the thread had moved on from the op.

You just read the op and hit reply? How lazy. ..

Use the quote button if you are asking a specific person a Question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

You made no mention of hats. I thought the thread had moved on from the op.

You just read the op and hit reply? How lazy. ..

No I didn't. I read the replies. Not one of them offered a reason as to why it is considered disrespectful other than basically saying 'it's disrespectful to me' or your own, it's the same as texting (which is ridiculous).

Back to my original question, why is it disrespectful? Who decided this?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Oakboy

listermint wrote: »
    Whatever about the national anthem and caps.

I think the artane boys band have seen there day at half time.

I mean they play nothing that gets the crowd going, their drum section is tiny so you can barely get a feel for what ever crappy tune they do play.

I think they need some larger band to stand in with a far more entertaining repertoire.

Or maybe thats Croke Parks ploy to bore people into going out to the bars are half time and get them juiced up...

What absolute fucking nonsense. No one is there for the music at half time. We are there for the football and hurling, if you get that bored during the 20 minute break then you really shouldn't be there. In all fairness that has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read in relation to gaelic games. Absolutely pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Having a singer their to sing the national anthem ruins the whole thing if you ask me, 80,000 people are well capable of singing the anthem themselves.

This is how it should be done

http://youtu.be/8kmRFIJETRM

Advertisement