Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Anthem

Options
  • 04-09-2013 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I was fortunate enough to be in Croke Park on Sunday for the Kerry Dublin game. I noticed a good share of people wearing hats and caps didn't bother to remove them during the National Anthem. Is it just me or do other people find this disrespectful. I remember being at a Munster final when i was a young fella and being asked to removef my cap by a stranger. Should supporters be politely asked to remove their caps or am i overreacting ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I was fortunate enough to be in Croke Park on Sunday for the Kerry Dublin game. I noticed a good share of people wearing hats and caps didn't bother to remove them during the National Anthem. Is it just me or do other people find this disrespectful. I remember being at a Munster final when i was a young fella and being asked to removef my cap by a stranger. Should supporters be politely asked to remove their caps or am i overreacting ?

It'a a minor breach of etiquette and I'd leave it to the guy's mother to deal with it. Cross your fingers and hope it's the worst instance of bad behaviour you encounter in Croke Park or elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Not singing it is worse IMO. Especially if the anthem is written out in front of you. Only a minor complaint that I barely remember until that minute before throw-in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Talking through it would be something I'd be more annoyed at. Not taking your hat off? No.

Mind you I saw the Edge on TV at Seamus Heaney's funeral on Monday and he was wearing his hat - thought that was a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Not singing it is worse IMO. Especially if the anthem is written out in front of you. Only a minor complaint that I barely remember until that minute before throw-in.

Did you ever hear a crow sing? Please spare us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'm sure avian creatures can join in for a line or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The GAA should get rid of the singer(s) for the National Anthem at Croke Park for the semi-finals/final. I don't recall there being one last year or the year before but you've at least 60,000 people on each occassion, most of them are willing to sing it. In my opinion it creates a fantastic atmosphere to hear it sung by all but not when it's drowned out by the speakers in Croker up at 11 for the one person on the mic. An entirely unnecessary addition.

Caps are a minor breach of etiquette. There are far worse breaches such as actively talking through it. It's none of your business, I wouldn't say a thing to somebody who wears a cap during it.

The worst thing about the national anthem at games is how everybody ignores the last line, and at times the last two lines, in an attempt to be the first to start cheering. There is plenty of time after the music has stopped to get in a cheer, a "Come on Dublin" or whatever you want without breaking off before it's finished. It is incredibly disrespectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭corny

I can never understand people getting so precious about a song. Saw a guy end up in an ambulance before because he refused to stand up at the end of a night out. Boggles the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

corny wrote: »
    I can never understand people getting so precious about a song. Saw a guy end up in an ambulance before because he refused to stand up at the end of a night out. Boggles the mind.

I don't think I'm precious when it comes to the anthem, I'd definitely never assault somebody for refusing to stand or anything. At this stage I couldn't care if it's played or not before a game but since it is the done thing I'm a bit "If you're gonna do it, do it right". Sing the lot or don't sing it at all, your call. But don't ruin it by cheering the last 5 seconds. Same for talking - sing it or shut up, one or the other.

I don't think I'm precious when it comes to the anthem, I'd definitely never assault somebody for refusing to stand or anything. At this stage I couldn't care if it's played or not before a game but since it is the done thing I'm a bit "If you're gonna do it, do it right". Sing the lot or don't sing it at all, your call. But don't ruin it by cheering the last 5 seconds. Same for talking - sing it or shut up, one or the other.

Thanks but i'll do my own thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 jalan8984

It's disrespectful. It should be common sense to remove your hat for the national anthem.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

jalan8984 wrote: »
    It's disrespectful. It should be common sense to remove your hat for the national anthem.
    who decided it was disrespectful?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Dear Lord.

Is this all we have to worry about in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

To each their own .. personally I'd wish as others have said they'd drop the operatic singer and allow the crowd to sing it. I'd like to think that everyone would sing/mumble/mime the anthem.

On a related note .. and I'm not a big fan of adopting the pre match rituals of what goes on across the water .. but I do enjoy the minutes applause for heroes of the game. I thought there was a great unity in the crowd for the Paidí/Heffo tribute .. to point of fact yer man had to stop his narrative until it quietened down a bit. Likewise the poignancy of the tributes to Jim Stynes RIP, Matt Connor (all his achievements displayed on screen and seeing him in the wheelchair was a choker)... and finally the reception the NYFD received at 2011 Final was fantastic

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Is this JoeDuffys phone-in....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

If someone wore a novelty hat with headphones, and quietly talked throughout the whole thing I wouldn't be offended.
    But it does rightly piss me off when people start roaring before it's finished.
    I can't remember the last time I heard the national anthem at a GAA match and it didn't happen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

In fairness the PA system on a packed hill isn't the best to be honest, a lot get caught off guard when the anthem starts.

I often have to keep an eye on the band to gauge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

In fairness the PA system on a packed hill isn't the best to be honest, a lot get caught off guard when the anthem starts.

I often have to keep an eye on the band to gauge it.

The teams all turning to face the flag is usually a give away that it's about to start ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

No big deal. It's just a piece of frivolous nationalism. Do you also stand up and sing it when you're at home? Peer pressure if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

corny wrote: »
    Thanks but i'll do my own thing.

Gowan you rebel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

The worst thing about the national anthem at games is how everybody ignores the last line, and at times the last two lines, in an attempt to be the first to start cheering. There is plenty of time after the music has stopped to get in a cheer, a "Come on Dublin" or whatever you want without breaking off before it's finished. It is incredibly disrespectful.
    Disagree completely, it really engages in the crowd and increases the atmosphere, especially in croker. To call it "incredibly disrespectful" does strike as being a bit precious to be honest. At the end of the day it's only a song.

• Advertisement

K4t wrote: »
    Disagree completely, it really engages in the crowd and increases the atmosphere, especially in croker. To call it "incredibly disrespectful" does strike as being a bit precious to be honest. At the end of the day it's only a song.

How would it engage the crowd any less if they waited until the end of the song?

It is disrespectful; it is akin to texting on your phone while someone is talking to you. It shows that you are bored by what is happening.

Its not that you don't genuinely think it's disrespectful, it's that you don't think the anthem is worthy of respect: a subtle but important distinction.

Its a shallow and self involved perspective IMO.

I've only ever been to one game where the crowd sang the anthem to the end without being drowned out by a PA singer or yahoo cheer - i think it was Armagh v Tyrone league final

Gowan you rebel...

I'm mad me;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

enda1 wrote: »
    No big deal. It's just a piece of frivolous nationalism.
    K4t wrote: »
    At the end of the day it's only a song.

I fear for our National identity tbh, its a good job we have such organisations as the GAA that keeps alive and fosters some sort of National identity. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I can't believe there's argument against people wearing a hat during the playing of a song. If someone asked me or someone around me to remove a hat during the anthem, I genuinely think I'd laugh in their face. They should mind their own business.

That said, I wouldn't talk or shout during an anthem - that includes the final two lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I fear for our National identity tbh, its a good job we have such organisations as the GAA that keeps alive and fosters some sort of National identity. :D

I hate bringing soccer stories into this ... but you've reminded me of Terry Mancini debut for Ireland v Poland ... they're lined out and he turns to Don Givens ..."fack me that Polish anthem goes on a bit" ... Givens .."that's ours Terry"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Why is it disrespectful?

lahalane wrote: »
    Why is it disrespectful?

it's a short thread, look 6 posts above yours.

Its a declaration of boredom and indifference.

It's disrespectful to not give some one or something your attention. If a teacher is teaching and you're talking to your mate, your parent is talking and you're watching TV, your friend in the pub and you're texting. Its rude.

Wearing a hat is something I wouldn't do, but it doesn't upset me if you don't. One idea behind taking off your hat is that you are making a positive action to show you are being respectful.
    Shouting during the anthem does bother me, you are imposing your view on me and preventing me from listening to the anthem in full. You could wait 20 seconds and cheer and we would both be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

It is not disrespectful. My national identity is not harmed by the non-singing of an English song spuriously translated into Irish at the start of an amateur sporting event.

• Advertisement

Again, you're saying the song is not worthy of respect, which is not the same as arguing why Interrupting it is not disrespectful.

To givee you an analogy. If I start yabbing on my phone during mass I could argue that the church is not worthy of respect, but I couldn't sincerely say it's not being disrespectful

Advertisement