Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord bia

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

sbell2205 wrote: »
    Sorry i am new to boards, Im a UCD student studying agri business. As part of 1 of my classes, (marketing) it has been arranged that marketing director for Bord Bia Michael Murphy will be making a guest appearance. The reason i post this is i would like to have a few difficult questions to pose to him, i am not high up oin the going ons of Bord Bia so hopefully i could get a bit of info from a few people. Thankyou

From an individual farmers point of view Bord Bia is just another window dressing exercise designed to push the fact that we are producing "green"(in the good sense) food with 100% traceability.
    It doesnt(at least in regard to sheep) deliver any price bonus or make your stock more desirable
    When demand rises then all the fine words go out the window and stock is sourced with little or no regard for Bord Bia or whether you passed an inspection.

Ask him why different factories have different standards with cattle re. retention periods in herds.

Has their expensive marketing campaigns both here and overseas delivered any MAJOR new markets for Irish stock or delivered any discernible price benefit to Irish farmers?

Why,with all their work,is our lamb still being sold as a wholesale commodity in Rungis and other markets?

Why are we still almost wholly reliant on the French market to take the bulk of our lamb?

Why has consumption of lamb fallen so much esp. in Ireland?

Since the formation of Bord Bia and its promotions in recent years ,what exactly ,in terms of price and return to farmers,have they achieved ie without their campaigns etc where would Irish sheep prices and production be?

Do they see us (sheep esp.)competing as niche market players or competing as a tradeable commodity ie is there enough scope to promote and sell all our product into the high value sector or will we be fighting against the UK and New Zealand produce?

Apart from the clean green grassfed image what other unique ideas do they have which will help sales?We here on this island seem to think that a picture of a wee lambie or bullock pictured against a scenic backdrop of green grass and heather covered hills is enough.

Consumers in these recessionary times(and dont I know it!) want value and quality at a price.In my opinion the amount of people both here and in Europe willing and able to pay premium prices has been vastly over estimated and this is a small and uncertain market which can overnight,and through no logical reason,collapse.

Listening to Bord Bia spiel you get the impression that all we have to offer is a differenciation from other countries by reference to clean green etc. etc.(add in any other buzzwords from 1st year marketing that spring to mind).

Have they explored other markets apart from the usual suspects ie Germany France etc.

Where ,in the next 10 years,do they see our competition coming from and in which markets?
    What is their opinion on live exports ie a good thing which dampens supply on the domestic market or a bad thing in which the maximum value of the animal is not retained in Ireland.

Do the meat industry contribute in any MEANINGFUL way to promotions or are they happy to sell it any old way as long as it leaves them a profit.

From a non marketing perspective do they realise the lack of interest farmers have in their scheme ie most see it for the window dressing it is and only join because either factories look for it or it might leave a few extra euro on a bullock or heifer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Earlier this year year after all irish boars had been geno-typed (dna tested) it was found out that a lot of pork products which were labelled as Irish, weren't actually Irish. What have they done about it?

Can the same be done for all Irish bulls?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

have my bord bia inspections on tuesday- he does my dads herd and mine in 1 visit- totally farcical as all i send to factory is cull cows and my dad is the same:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

whelan1 wrote: »
    have my bord bia inspections on tuesday- he does my dads herd and mine in 1 visit- totally farcical as all i send to factory is cull cows and my dad is the same:mad:

Farcical I know but your getting 12 c a kg qa bonus on top of factory price so there is a bit of an incentive.youll have another bb inspection once the dairy one cones into play and no bonus to be got if u pass and it'll cost u about 180 euro!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Farcical I know but your getting 12 c a kg qa bonus on top of factory price so there is a bit of an incentive.youll have another bb inspection once the dairy one cones into play and no bonus to be got if u pass and it'll cost u about 180 euro!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

my fellow showed me a few pointers that would fail the incoming dairy inspection, we had passed a co op inspection just before and had an unannounced cross compliance shortly after wards with no issues, but bord bia wants a bit more

@ paddysdream ... great post

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sbell2205

Thank you paddysdream, this is an excellent reply, After reading the post i will be able to nail him with questions, will be interesting to see what reply he comes back with, and only being a small class he will have no choice but to answer..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

blue5000 wrote: »
    Earlier this year year after all irish boars had been geno-typed (dna tested) it was found out that a lot of pork products which were labelled as Irish, weren't actually Irish. What have they done about it?

Nothing, nor will they. they knew when admitting these products/companies that they did not use 100% irish pork in their irish bacon products.

I remember some galtee products being left on the shelf after pork was withdrawn with the dioxin scare.

did not go down well in mitchelstown with the recently closed pig factory!

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Nothing, nor will they. they knew when admitting these products/companies that they did not use 100% irish pork in their irish bacon products.

I remember some galtee products being left on the shelf after pork was withdrawn with the dioxin scare.

did not go down well in mitchelstown with the recently closed pig factory!

Yes thats all fine and dandy but do we complain when our beef is sold to places like Sweden etc. and labeled as being from there as it would have been processed(cut up and repackaged) there.

If we want to complain about labeling,country of origion etc then lets remember that an amount of our beef(and I assume lamb) is sold to customers who buy it on the understanding (both theirs and the sellers)that it will be sold as produce of whatever country it ends up being packaged in.

Thank you paddysdream, this is an excellent reply, After reading the post i will be able to nail him with questions, will be interesting to see what reply he comes back with, and only being a small class he will have no choice but to answer..

Make sure and come back here and tell us what words of wisdom he imparted to the people who ,in a few short years,we will be sending out into the big world to try and sell (sand?) to the arabs and others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I know it's an old thread but it was titled Bord Bia.
    Anyway I was talking to dept inspector at a meeting a few nights ago.
    I mentioned the Bord Bia signs you have to put up, you know the ones with this is a food producing premises etc. These signs have a space on the bottom for you to put your phone no on.
    I asked her do you have to put your phone no on it and she said no, that there's new signs coming out without the phone number.
    She said the IFA were in discussions with them about it and everyone agreed that it is too dangerous to be putting your phone number on the sign especially for old people on their own, who'd be too trusting etc.
    Anyway your all informed now.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 29,209 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I got the sign from magenta no room for a number and bord bia man said he hadn't seen that type before

whelan2 wrote: »
    I got the sign from magenta no room for a number and bord bia man said he hadn't seen that type before

Well did the sign pass with him ok?
    There was another guy in the group with us and he said he just made a number up for his. The dept inspector was surprised that the sign with phone no. was still for sale. I bought mine a few months ago in a glanbia store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

whelan2 wrote: »

These are the ones Pedigree 6 is talking about-

Sign 1
    Sign 2
    Sign 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

I put my phone number on our one with permanent marker, faded away after a few weeks.bit pointless..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,209 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Here's my sign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

i would not put up my phone number on a sign in the yard for anyone to see and ring to see am i around or can they rob the place.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

leg wax wrote: »
    i would not put up my phone number on a sign in the yard for anyone to see and ring to see am i around or can they rob the place.:eek:

U don't have to tell them the truth! You won't burn in hell(I hope not)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

our sign has the number on it...but there's no phone signal where the sign is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭orm0nd

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »

It's quite right that they should seek permission before taking photographs.
    The inspector should be able to make their mind up whether somethings right or wrong without having the pictures sent back to head office and end up god knows where.
    Now if something was wrong on farm they could take picture and when you fix it you could send them on another picture proving that you fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

leg wax wrote: »

I put the Garda Station number on it....Anyone that knows us has our number...if one of these strangers comes in the yard they can be getting to know our local coppers.. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Do urealy think u will get answersl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

had my bb visit on thursday ,96% never got that in school, by the way you dont need bait points.

alps wrote: »
    I put the Garda Station number on it....Anyone that knows us has our number...if one of these strangers comes in the yard they can be getting to know our local coppers.. .

Do all Garda numbers not start with 666?

ganmo wrote: »
    Do all Garda numbers not start with 666?

Ah for god's sake will no one tell poor ganmo to turn your phone no upside down otherwise you'll be ringing the quare fella.:D:D

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Ah for god's sake will no one tell poor ganmo to turn your phone no upside down otherwise you'll be ringing the quare fella.:D:D

The 2 stations near here are 666**** full of quare lads

Advertisement