Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footballer of the Year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

MfMan wrote: »
    Not exactly. Roll originally posted, quite reasonably, that he would select Gooch as POTY on the basis that he's a joy to watch in action. In response, I said that if that were the (sole) criteria then Canning should be selected as the hurling equivalent as he is, and not just in my opinion, the most talented and 'easy to watch' hurler at present. (Even this year, poor by his standards, he still managed to produce something memorable in nearly every match that he plays in). Quite properly, POTY selections take more factors into account rather than just the above.

For what it's worth, my football POTY would also be Colm Boyle; particularly mighty in his last 3 games.

Boyle and Keegan were outstanding but I can't see a defender from a team that didnt win the AI ever getting it, its hard enough for a back to get it as is.

I can think of many many hurlers who are as much of a joy to watch as Canning - he's not even the best hurler from his own family as of yet - Gooch is different he is head and shoulders above all his fellow footballers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Slattsy wrote: »
    MDM will romp it.

Goes about his business with the minimum of fuss and often been the unsung hero. Super fit too even though he looks bolloxed the whole time!!
    But really impressed me over the past 12-18 months, i honestly didnt think he would turn out to be as good, he's improving big time.

AOS, what happened to him? Looked good against the small fry in Connaught but his fitness and lack of quality finds him out against the top boys.
    Was non-existent in the semi and Final. Bottler?? Possibly.

Kavanagh should be in the middle with MDM for the All-Stars. Quality player. Has it all, and wouldnt have been anonymous like AOS was against the Dubs thats for sure.

Cooper probably the runner up, class act most of the time, needs to cut out the diving and playing up to the ref though.

Fatigue may have been an issue (which begs the question why on earth was he left on for the whole game essentially v Donegal and Tyrone. He's a big lad, maybe could do with dropping a tad bit more bodyfat. He's come on huge in that department though tbf- he had to be thrown in corner forward in 09 and 10. But was non-existant in semi and final. Bottler is harsh man but you do have a point I think. That Donegal game did overrate him, I'd rather Mick McAuley in my team.

Super player. Weren't a lot of people fearing Whelan wouldn't be replaced. MDMA is even more effective IMO

I've said it a thousand times, I'll say it again- SOS had a better year than Aidan.

Barry Moran needs to stay fit next year as I fully believe teams will be targeting Aido's short fuse with this black card coming in
    DDC1990 wrote: »
    Would love Cooper to win it.

Had a fantastic year and pulled the strings in every game he played, from his first game in the league as a sub vs Cork to the imperious display against Dublin in the Semi-Final.

He would be a truely worthy Footballer of the Year winner, but MDMA has been fantastic this year as well so couldn't begrudge him the win.

YPOTY was really a case of who ruled themselves out of a chance. There was a lightning start to the season for McCaffrey, Kilkenny and Mannion, but they tailed off towards the end of the season especially in the Semi-Final and Final (nothing against them, they are fantastic footballers on their day and All Ireland Champions but their inexperience was targetted). Cillian O'Connor missed half the season but still racked up an incredible 6-22 (I think). He's a massive talent, if he keeps the shoulder healthy. Will complete a YPOTY Hattrick adding to his (possibly) never acheived back-to-back hattricks in the Championship against London and Donegal.

Cillian wins it by default more than anything

Young boys in a big mans game I heard used in reference to them. Maybe a bit harsh but as you say their inexperience was targeted and to good effect. Pity Mayo couldn't take advantage... They'll be a year older and stronger next year

Great post by the way! Agree fully
    Tom Joad wrote: »
    If it was me I'd give the nod to Paul Flynn and young player to Killian Clarke - I know a lot of people would say Cillian O'Connor but is their an age cut off for YPOTY? - it would be extraordinary in my mind to win 3 in a row.

He must be 21 by now??

Cillian has to get it. He seriously improved from open play this year to be fair

Once you're eligible for u21 you're eligible for YPOTY. So born in 92 or later this year. Cillian is a 92 and 21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

I can think of many many hurlers who are as much of a joy to watch as Canning - he's not even the best hurler from his own family as of yet - Gooch is different he is head and shoulders above all his fellow footballers.

Then there we'll disagree because (though obviously biased) I can't think of any. Ollie was indeed a wonderful hurler but Joe does more things you just don't see from any other player. Witness his goaled 21 metre free v Clare in the league earlier this year, his point from the sideline and goal v Dublin in the Leinster final, his pass to Niall Healy who goaled v Clare etc. He does these things more than any other man playing currently, again IMHO.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Gerry91 wrote: »

Midfield is interesting. M McAuley is bang on, which leaves the other between AOS and Cian O'Sullivan

I'd have SOS myself but he's criminally underrated in comparison to his brother. Aidan had one stand out match and while he was solid in Connacht he didn't have as much an impact as SOS, Cavangah, MDMA and COS had all year

You could go as far as saying he went missing v Tyrone and Dub, with Seamus carrying the mantle on both occasions

I agree completely, cian O Sullivan did important work for Dublin in the backs, SOS was the Mayo midfielder against Tyrone and Dublin, AOS did nothing against Tyrone until the other lads had them beaten, SOS and MDMC at midfield for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Romp it? MDM was stellar against Kerry but I've failed to see what has generated so much hype about a player I would only have considered good-to-average heading into the year. He was pretty anonymous in the final too, with Bastick far out-playing both starting midfielders.

He'll probably win it because Dublin won the AI but any semi-objective vote would give PotY to Boyle or Keegan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Slattsy wrote: »
    MDM will romp it.
    AOS, what happened to him? Looked good against the small fry in Connaught but his fitness and lack of quality finds him out against the top boys.
    Was non-existent in the semi and Final. Bottler?? Possibly.

In the Connacht games against Roscommon,Galway and London Seamus O'Shea was better than his younger brother. Aidan is more talked about he was one of the stand out players in the Sigerson cup last spring and once he delivered that superb display v Donegal he was in the running for player of the year however in the following two games his older brother played better than him.

TBH the best footballer this year for me was Cooper but seeing that Dublin won the All Ireland it looks like a Dub with be given the award instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Tom Joad wrote: »
    it would be extraordinary in my mind to win 3 in a row.

It would be amazing alright... in 50 years time people would look back and say 'he must have been truly special' - but in reality he's not that good.

It would be amazing alright... in 50 years time people would look back and say 'he must have been truly special' - but in reality he's not that good.

This year when fit he certainly was. Huge step up in general play. Destined to be the marque forward everyone is rabbiting on about Mayo needing. The way Jack Mc and Kilkenny wilted in the heat of the business end of the championship tells you that COC was incredibly strong mentally the previous two years.

He had a great year. Wasn't as good from general play last year or the year before but really stepped up

The next couple of years will see him go on to become one of the best forwards in the country IMO if he stays fit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Syferus wrote: »
    Romp it? MDM was stellar against Kerry but I've failed to see what has generated so much hype about a player I would only have considered good-to-average heading into the year. He was pretty anonymous in the final too, with Bastick far out-playing both starting midfielders.

He'll probably win it because Dublin won the AI but any semi-objective vote would give PotY to Boyle or Keegan.

1. You posting about "objectivity" is just lol-tastic!

2. If you think MDMA was anonymous in the final, or that Bastick was better than him you are away with the fairies. Aidan O'Shea is a strong fella, but McAuley horsed him out of the way time and again under kickouts and dropping balls..wouldn't have said that would happen were I not there to see it. Add to that the fact that whatever or whoever has been thrown at him, I haven't seen a player capable of holding him up consistently when he gets a run at you. He is limited, skill-wise, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he has been immense this year and from first minute to last in every game he has been a catalyst for Dublin attacks.

3. Keegan is a good player, but was miles off his man for too much of the final for my liking. He dropped a ball into Cluxtons hands from 20m out aswell, which was poor. He got 2 good points and didn't have a terrible final, but not POTY. Boyle was almost the opposite. Defended very well, but watch the game back and you will see he kicked the ball away aimlessly at least 7 or 8 times..awful stuff in the modern game. He did the same a few times throughout the year. Again not POTY stuff.

MDMA will probably get the POTY award, you can't trust the selection committees for these things though. Some of the decisions for Allstar selections in modern times have been just appalingly bad. Brian McGuigan (who is not exactly my favourite person in the world) not getting one in 2005 springs to mind.

Also, seeing as someone mentioned him..Cillian O'Connor: He is still young, but to me he needs serious work on his flexibility and speed. He is far too slow to turn and seems to be carrying a bit of bulk.

• Advertisement

1. You posting about "objectivity" is just lol-tastic!

2. If you think MDMA was anonymous in the final, or that Bastick was better than him you are away with the fairies. Aidan O'Shea is a strong fella, but McAuley horsed him out of the way time and again under kickouts and dropping balls..wouldn't have said that would happen were I not there to see it. Add to that the fact that whatever or whoever has been thrown at him, I haven't seen a player capable of holding him up consistently when he gets a run at you. He is limited, skill-wise, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he has been immense this year and from first minute to last in every game he has been a catalyst for Dublin attacks.

3. Keegan is a good player, but was miles off his man for too much of the final for my liking. He dropped a ball into Cluxtons hands from 20m out aswell, which was poor. He got 2 good points and didn't have a terrible final, but not POTY. Boyle was almost the opposite. Defended very well, but watch the game back and you will see he kicked the ball away aimlessly at least 7 or 8 times..awful stuff in the modern game. He did the same a few times throughout the year. Again not POTY stuff.

MDMA will probably get the POTY award, you can't trust the selection committees for these things though. Some of the decisions for Allstar selections in modern times have been just appalingly bad. Brian McGuigan (who is not exactly my favourite person in the world) not getting one in 2005 springs to mind.

Also, seeing as someone mentioned him..Cillian O'Connor: He is still young, but to me he needs serious work on his flexibility and speed. He is far too slow to turn and seems to be carrying a bit of bulk.

Good to see you still have a chip on your shoulder because I called Kerry not having the steam to beat Dublin at the beginning of the year. Must be a real pity for you that I was right, eh? I'll quit with the cheap shots when you do.

Both Boyle and Keegan have competed for MotM in every game Mayo played this year. They have been the definition of consistency and together they formed the single best HB line I've seen in many years. If one was head-and-shoulders above the other I'd say they'd be close to a lock for PotY, it's been quite a soft year in that race so a player from the losing finalist could have easily got it. I think they may make Mayo 'whole' on that front by giving the entire Mayo HB line All-Stars, even if Vaughan is a little more sketchy than the other two on that count.

MDM fades in and out of games and remains a little suspect competing for high ball. He strikes me as a lesser version of Sean Cavanagh, an attacking talent playing midfield just so it's easier to feed him the ball in space. Certainly nothing to suggest he deserves to 'romp' home with the PotY but given the way the wind is blowing it seems he'll get the nod, and in my opinion wrongly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Cluxton anyone???......Lacey got it last year but most, would have went with McFadden.. most thought Lacey got it for being there or there abouts over the years..Cluxton would be in the same scenario..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Surely Cooper or Sean Cavanaugh had more influence than either of the Mayo wing backs this year (Keegan had a better year last year). MDMA wins it by default, as he was the most consistently good Dublin player this year, and it probably has to go to a Dublin player given how they dominated the championship

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Surely Cooper or Sean Cavanaugh had more influence than either of the Mayo wing backs this year (Keegan had a better year last year). MDMA wins it by default, as he was the most consistently good Dublin player this year, and it probably has to go to a Dublin player given how they dominated the championship

The Mayo HB line was the difference between Mayo last year and this year. They added so much in attack and created so many mismatches. You could include Higgins as a de facto HB given how he was played this year as well. They were good last year but this year they were stellar and ripped many defences to shreds, including Dublin's on more than a few occasions last Sunday. The true PotY for me is in that line but the AI winners will always be the fashionable choice for that one.

Cooper or Cavanagh didn't have the consistent impact over the year that Boyle and Keegan did. I wouldn't have Cavanagh even in the discussion because he was MIA against Roscommon and Mayo and didn't exactly set the world on fire against Donegal. He'd be be doing well to get an All-Star, both Mayo HBs are locks for All-Stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Roscommon v Tyrone match wasn't on tv so it's probably irrelevant as far as the all-stars are concerned tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

MDMA is a good player but massively overrated due to his gut bursting runs to the goal one or twice a game. Dublin's midfield wasn't impressive at all this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Good to see you still have a chip on your shoulder because I called Kerry not having the steam to beat Dublin at the beginning of the year. Must be a real pity for you that I was right, eh? I'll quit with the cheap shots when you do.

Both Boyle and Keegan have competed for MotM in every game Mayo played this year. They have been the definition of consistency and together they formed the single best HB line I've seen in many years. If one was head-and-shoulders above the other I'd say they'd be close to a lock for PotY, it's been quite a soft year in that race so a player from the losing finalist could have easily got it. I think they may make Mayo 'whole' on that front by giving the entire Mayo HB line All-Stars, even if Vaughan is a little more sketchy than the other two on that count.

MDM fades in and out of games and remains a little suspect competing for high ball. He strikes me as a lesser version of Sean Cavanagh, an attacking talent playing midfield just so it's easier to feed him the ball in space. Certainly nothing to suggest he deserves to 'romp' home with the PotY but given the way the wind is blowing it seems he'll get the nod, and in my opinion wrongly so.

A chip on my shoulder? Listen I couldn't give a fiddlers what way you called any game, I'm just pulling you up on what I see as a ridiculous assertion that Boyle for example is more worthy of POTY than MDMA? And if you are telling me that Boyle "contended for MOTM" in the final then you are just proving my point further...go and watch the final again and come back and tell me how many possessions he wasted.

I could throw out a comment like suggesting your football knowledge is as suspect as your geography IMO..but I'm not one for cheap shots...

A chip on my shoulder? Listen I couldn't give a fiddlers what way you called any game, I'm just pulling you up on what I see as a ridiculous assertion that Boyle for example is more worthy of POTY than MDMA? And if you are telling me that Boyle "contended for MOTM" in the final then you are just proving my point further...go and watch the final again and come back and tell me how many possessions he wasted.

I could throw out a comment like suggesting your football knowledge is as suspect as your geography IMO..but I'm not one for cheap shots...

If it's so ridiculous it seems to be pretty well wide-spread, no?

Boyle wasted very few possessions in the final and completed passes is one of the most misguided stats in sport as if a pass is put into the right area and is the best option available but is lost or not controlled by the receiver it counts against the player who played the pass. In GAA in particular the standard and detail of stat-keeping leaves a hell of a lot to be desired.

The Mayo HBs all played plenty of viable ball but the Mayo forwards lost the ball or could do little with it. They certainly weren't the fault-line for Mayo last Sunday. Trying to pick holes in Boyle's performance is incredibly rich in the context of MDM's anonymity in the final, which is entirely the point.

MDM certainly doesn't deserve a landslide victory for the PotY and he was no more or less important to his team than Boyle or Keegan and he certainly was not as consistent as either of those players. If flashes are the reason to award it to a player then Bernard Brogan would be the obvious choice, not MDM. The more I think about it the less sense him being PotY makes.

Which obviously means he's going to be a lock for the voting panel.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The Mayo half backs are defenders by default, no use ripping the opposition apart when you finish a game outscored, for example the ball Flynn dropped in for Brogans first goal should have been taken care of by the Mayo half back line.

I feel the same about jack McCaffrey btw.

I wouldn't give the poty to a Mayo player for this reason after the Donegal game AOS was many people's including my own cert for POTY, not any other Mayo player. Then AOS was not great when needed against Tyrone, SOS was better and against Dublin he won the first couple of balls then faded and SOS was better.

IMHO in light of this people are looking at other Mayo players to give it to. Simply because AOS flopped a bit.
    Cooper would possibly be the safe bet, played some great football this year and would deserve it too IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

What happened to Aidan O'Shea in the final anyway - he was good last year in the semi-final against Dublin. Then again Cluxton's kickouts were probably more effective this year and Macauley was played out of position for much of last year's match. Answered my own question there maybe but I still would've thought O'Shea would've played better. Same with Vaughan.

• Advertisement

aveytare wrote: »
    What happened to Aidan O'Shea in the final anyway - he was good last year in the semi-final against Dublin. Then again Cluxton's kickouts were probably more effective this year and Macauley was played out of position for much of last year's match. Answered my own question there maybe but I still would've thought O'Shea would've played better. Same with Vaughan.
    You don't even need the Internet :)

MDMA out of position last year was a bit of a disaster, at the time it was to get him running the ball into the forwards and breaking tackles but he was missed too much in his best position as Dublin won little ball in the centre for him to link to the inside line.

Also I thought Bastic was just getting into the game last year before he was subbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I thought Keegan was terrible in the final tbh. Kicked two good points which was a plus but was very poor defensively and gave away four or five really bad frees. He's been very good at times in other games but so often half backs get a pass if they do anything at all positive going forward.

As for POTY, McAuley has been the most important, most influential and most consistently excellent player for the best team in the country all year. He does everything well and is the archetype of a modern midfielder, attacks, defends, disrupts, never gets himself into trouble.

Dublin dismantled the Cork, Kerry and Mayo midfields all while being told they were going to be cleaned out every time in that area. McAuley was instrumental in each of those games. He's absolutely exceptional IMO.

If I was picking my best 15 in the country he and Flynn would easily be the first two names on the sheet without even having to think about it.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I thought Keegan was terrible in the final tbh. Kicked two good points which was a plus but was very poor defensively and gave away four or five really bad frees. He's been very good at times in other games but so often half backs get a pass if they do anything at all positive going forward.

As for POTY, McAuley has been the most important, most influential and most consistently excellent player for the best team in the country all year. He does everything well and is the archetype of a modern midfielder, attacks, defends, disrupts, never gets himself into trouble.

Dublin dismantled the Cork, Kerry and Mayo midfields all while being told they were going to be cleaned out every time in that area. McAuley was instrumental in each of those games. He's absolutely exceptional IMO.

If I was picking my best 15 in the country he and Flynn would easily be the first two names on the sheet without even having to think about it.

Keane to be fair I'm a great fan of your posts and think you have a cracking knowledge on the game!

Terrible a possible understatement? Thought lee did a great job, turned over plenty of possession played two positions very well! (As in he had to do the half forwards job too)

Not his biggest fan. Not going to go into details as to why, but I was really impressed with him this year. Not the most skillful of players but thought he played his heart out in final

Def respect your opinion though and it is definitely interesting

Boyle though= my poy. Agree mcauley is a super effective player although while anonymous is harsh thought he was "ineffective" in the final

Ps Keane I think Flynn is second best player in country after the Gooch.

Gooch the best player I've ever seen and I've watched that 97 final religiously on cassette of all things- Maurice fitz a beaut but JUST below coopers level IMO

Stoner wrote: »
    You don't even need the Internet :)

MDMA out of position last year was a bit of a disaster, at the time it was to get him running the ball into the forwards and breaking tackles but he was missed too much in his best position as Dublin won little ball in the centre for him to link to the inside line.

Also I thought Bastic was just getting into the game last year before he was subbed.

MDMA centre forward v us was about as crazy as moving Keith back this year. Two diabolical decisions

He changed the game last year when moved to mid I think, stoner.

I'm still greatful he didn't start there

Sorry Keane just one Q

Out if curiosity who do you reckon was our best player this year?

I think Boyle IMO but it be interested in your opinion

Ps- anyone can feel free answer it's a fascinating question IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Gerry91 wrote: »
    Sorry Keane just one Q

Out if curiosity who do you reckon was our best player this year?

I think Boyle IMO but it be interested in your opinion

Ps- anyone can feel free answer it's a fascinating question IMO
    I know the question is not for me but...

For me Keith Higgins constantly stood out and made a really big impact in every single game he played - he would be the best Mayo player all year for me.

I personally thought Keegan and Boyle were brilliant all year also, and should get the All Star positions. Didn't think Keegan played poorly in the final at all. Boyle gave a good bit of ball away, but in fairness, the Mayo forwards were being cleaned out anyway, so there wasn't much he could do.

Aidan was so influential up to the Semi-Final, but Dublin and Tyrone targetted his lack of flexibilty. They put him in defensive situations where he was twisted and turned by a more agile player. Also, they just punched everything away from him limiting his posession. Up to the Semi-Final he was Mayo's most influential player IMO. Seamie was better in the last two games, but only because there was such a focus on taking Aidan out of the game, so Seamie was given a bit more freedom.

So Higgins for me, with Boyle Keegan and O'Shea not far behind.

Higgins for me too.

The Mayo Donegal game this year was a fantastic performance. Mayo were so focused. Unfairly it's been written off a bit as a really bad day at the office for Donegal.
    Tyrone exposed the flaws in the Mayo set up.
    In the final I thought that the Mayo set up was very well prepared for the Dublin subs.
    Mcmanamon was played very well, kept away from goal and let run himself away from support and into a corner.
    Keegan played Connelly smartly too when he picked him up. Jack McCaffrey was also kept out of the game
    Mannion was exposed a bit too. The Mayo defence did a great job on the known factors about Dublin, the bench and their pace.
    The size of rock and O'Gara caused Mayo problems. Although rock didn't score he won the hard ball sent into him he was out in front and strong, O'Gara was the same, I don't think the Mayo management team got to grips with the change or mix of strategy fast enough.

Overall I seriously think Cooper will win the player of the year, much like Bernard Brogan won it in 2010 only getting as far as the semi-final. Dublin and Mayo had some great performers but they had off days too.

Stoner wrote: »
    Higgins for me too.

The Mayo Donegal game this year was a fantastic performance. Mayo were so focused. Unfairly it's been written off a bit as a really bad day at the office for Donegal.
    Tyrone exposed the flaws in the Mayo set up.
    In the final I thought that the Mayo set up was very well prepared for the Dublin subs.
    Mcmanamon was played very well, kept away from goal and let run himself away from support and into a corner.
    Keegan played Connelly smartly too when he picked him up. Jack McCaffrey was also kept out of the game
    Mannion was exposed a bit too. The Mayo defence did a great job on the known factors about Dublin, the bench and their pace.
    The size of rock and O'Gara caused Mayo problems. Although rock didn't score he won the hard ball sent into him he was out in front and strong, O'Gara was the same, I don't think the Mayo management team got to grips with the change or mix of strategy fast enough.

Overall I seriously think Cooper will win the player of the year, much like Bernard Brogan won it in 2010 only getting as far as the semi-final. Dublin and Mayo had some great performers but they had off days too.

Not a chance of Gooch winning it. Brogan has a better shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Not a chance of Gooch winning it. Brogan has a better shout.

Why? Surely the best footballer this year deserves to win Footballer of the year?

Advertisement