Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footballer of the Year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

MDMA will get it now imo. Going into yesterday, it was O'Shea's to lose, but I can't see him winning it after yesterday. I don't think that Mayo even had win Sam for him to get it, he just had to put in a performance on the day, and he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Weetabix wrote: »
    Michael Dara McCauley is probably not a shoe in but I think he just about deserves it, Paul Flynn is a dark horse, has been Dublins most consistent player for 4 or 5 years now and is very underrated in my eyes. For Mayo Keegan / Boyle / Seamus O'Shea have been their best players all year, Aiden O'Shea (v Donegal) and Gooch (v Dublin) were the 2 best individual performances.

Great shout about Paul Flynn ... has been superb consistently and really steps up to the mark when it matters .. MDM is probably more eye-catching and will more than likely get it, Cian O Sullivan deserves consideration, again superbly consistent. Lee Keegan and Keith Higgins from Mayo .. both well ahead of AoS imo .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

MDM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Given that I don't think a semi final loser has ever won this then I think we can rule out my own POTY Sean Cavanagh and the Gooch. I think there's a good shout by some here for Paul Flynn, I've been hugely impressed by him this season and above all other players in the Dublin team I think he is a leader on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Given that I don't think a semi final loser has ever won this then I think we can rule out my own POTY Sean Cavanagh and the Gooch. I think there's a good shout by some here for Paul Flynn, I've been hugely impressed by him this season and above all other players in the Dublin team I think he is a leader on the pitch.

Bernard Brogan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

From Mayo you could pick Aidan O' Shea or Lee Keegan.
    From Dublin, Bernard Brogan, Michael Dara MacCauley or Paul Flynn.
    From Kerry, Colm Cooper.
    From Tyrone Sean Cavanagh.

Unless the final was an awful game with no stand out performers, it was never going to be won by Cooper or Cavanagh IMO.

I think it'l probably be Michael Dara for Dublin that will win it, but I think Paul Flynn runs him close.

Aidan O' Shea was an absolute cert if Mayo won, but not to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Aidan O' Shea was an absolute cert if Mayo won, but not to be.

Him getting it would have been a bit strange considering his brother outperformed him in both the semi-final and final. He has the higher profile though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Him getting it would have been a bit strange considering his brother outperformed him in both the semi-final and final. He has the higher profile though.

He would have got it for certain, there was 4 games before that where O'Shea was immense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Forgive me a faux-puritan moment but..

For some reason it would grate with me seeing MDM win Player of the Year. As an athlete he is excellent, and key for Dublin. As a footballer, his skills, to me, seem average. I'd be the last person to knock the skill it takes to play at midfield, but I wouldn't like seeing a guy who doesn't look comfortable kicking the ball winning POTY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

elefant wrote: »

For some reason it would grate with me seeing MDM win Player of the Year. As an athlete he is excellent, and key for Dublin. As a footballer, his skills, to me, seem average. I'd be the last person to knock the skill it takes to play at midfield, but I wouldn't like seeing a guy who doesn't look comfortable kicking the ball winning POTY.

you must not watch him regularly. He's excellent at the outside of the foot pass and the skill he showed scoring a drop kick goal in the league a few years ago was immense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

you must not watch him regularly. He's excellent at the outside of the foot pass and the skill he showed scoring a drop kick goal in the league a few years ago was immense!

I could be wrong- I'll admit I haven't seen him as regularly as some on here, it's hard to catch league matches living outside the country. However, a number of times in the Championship this year he has looked very uncomfortable running through on goal taking a shot. I felt the same way when Kieran Donaghy won player of the year before- I'd prefer more technical players like like Colm Cooper or Bernard Brogan be chosen as the best footballer in Ireland.

As I said though, you couldn't really complain if MDM won it. If it wasn't for his willpower and athleticism Dublin would never have scored that all-important goal vs. Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Has to be McAuley Cavanagh or Gooch.

They stood out in every match they played. Aiden O'Shea was exceptional in one match, and surpassed by his brother in both the semi final and final.

While a performance in the Final is important I dont think it should be enough to get one for Brogan. Looking at all the counties and the matches Ive seen over the summer, the players that have stood out more regularly than anyone else have been Walshe Hughes and McManus from Monaghan, Gooch and O'Donoghue from Kerry, Cavanagh, McAuley, Mackey from Cavan, Keegan and Boyle from Mayo.

Personally I think that tackle will rule Cavanagh out so its between Gooch and McAuley IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

elefant wrote: »

I see your point re athlete, but his work rate etc is second to none on that Dublin team. Without him they would not have a second AI in 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

if there is any sense in the world colm cooper would be player of the year-an absolute joy to watch what he does!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

roll wrote: »
    if there is any sense in the world colm cooper would be player of the year-an absolute joy to watch what he does!

By the same token, Joe Canning would be hurler of the year every year.
    History is written by the winners.....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sean Cavanagh was immense in every game this year.
    But they won't give it to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

He didnt do much against Mayo or Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

As Dingus said- he was nothing special v Mayo

Won't even get an All Star unless they cop out and put him 12

Midfield is interesting. M McAuley is bang on, which leaves the other between AOS and Cian O'Sullivan

I'd have SOS myself but he's criminally underrated in comparison to his brother. Aidan had one stand out match and while he was solid in Connacht he didn't have as much an impact as SOS, Cavangah, MDMA and COS had all year

You could go as far as saying he went missing v Tyrone and Dub, with Seamus carrying the mantle on both occasions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

MfMan wrote: »
    By the same token, Joe Canning would be hurler of the year every year.
    History is written by the winners.....

Like fcuk he would a serious talent who had an amazing underage career and a very impressive debut season in 2008 capped by a wonderful display against Cork he has flattered to deceive since.

Footballer of the year

MD McAuley 2/5- Super year and will probably get it. Wasn't as influential as you might expect in the final but was immense v Kerry and is the easiest guy give it to I guess

Colm Cooper 9/2- Best footballer in Ireland without question IMO, that first half performance v Dublin was one of the best I've seen. I think he'll be nominated in the 3. Needed a final appearance to get it I think, unlike Brogan 2010

Bernard Brogan 9/2- Eh no chance. Showed what a terrific player he is, by scoring heavily in semi and final but didn't have near as much influence as you'd expect to get FOTY. Can't even say he won his battle in the final,
    50:50 between him and Caff I think and v O'Se in semi

Stephen Cluxton 12/1- Another great year and his kickouts were a thing of beauty throughout the year. Don't think he'll come into the reckoning though and he could've done better for Moran's goal surely. Gave away debatable pen in semi too but shouldn't have gone high regardless

Cian O'Sullivan 25/1- Great honest player. Should All Star but not enough influence to get main gong

Diarmuid Connolly 33/1- No chance given he was nothing terrific in final

Keith Higgins 33/1- Certainly a great shout but probably needed score more in last few games to come into serious reckoning- given he was operating as a half forward- as he was on losing team

Paul Flynn 66/1- Serious contender for me. Probably not as flashy as other contenders so will unfairly count against him. Like he's a far better shout than Bernard and Connolly for me

Aidan O'Shea 100/1- He was odds on sunday morning. No chance IMO, shouldn't all star.

Lee Keegan 150/1- Super shout. Outstanding semi and final where aswell as dominating at half back he had to do the forwards job for them. He should really be in the 3 as he was Mayo's best player in last two games for me and because he seems to get more recognition and plaudits than Boyle

Funnily enough the guy I'd give it to myself doesn't feature in the betting- Colm Boyle

I'd like Cooper to get it but wouldn't begrudge MDMA at all

YPOTY

Cillian O'Connor 1/6- should be nailed on for his third YPOTY in a row. Two hat-tricks and a much improved season. Granted didn't do a whole pile in last two games but McCaffrey (10/3) was anonymous, as was KK (33/1) and Mannion got injured quite early in final and did nothing in semi bar the goal

O'Connor should rightly walk this and the bookies have it right

Has three YPOTY's in a row ever been won? Surely not. Some man

• Advertisement

Like fcuk he would a serious talent who had an amazing underage career and a very impressive debut season in 2008 capped by a wonderful display against Galway he has flattered to deceive since.

Way OT, but agree he's definitely not the best hurler in the country

Gerry91 wrote: »
    Way OT, but agree he's definitely not the best hurler in the country

When I say flattered to deceive I am of course making allowance for how amazingly talented he is and what he's early career suggested might be possible, of course he is still only a chap.

Michael Fennelly is the most complete hurler in the country IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Gerry91 wrote: »
    Footballer of the year

Lee Keegan 150/1- Super shout. Outstanding semi and final where aswell as dominating at half back he had to do the forwards job for them. He should really be in the 3 as he was Mayo's best player in last two games for me and because he seems to get more recognition and plaudits than Boyle

Funnily enough the guy I'd give it to myself doesn't feature in the betting- Colm Boyle

I'd like Cooper to get it but wouldn't begrudge MDMA at all

YPOTY

Cillian O'Connor 1/6- should be nailed on for his third YPOTY in a row. Two hat-tricks and a much improved season. Granted didn't do a whole pile in last two games but McCaffrey (10/3) was anonymous, as was KK (33/1) and Mannion got injured quite early in final and did nothing in semi bar the goal

O'Connor should rightly walk this and the bookies have it right

Has three YPOTY's in a row ever been won? Surely not. Some man

That is good value on Lee Keegan. If you looked at all championship games he is deserving if you say that he had the biggest final of all the contenders. 2 points and kept the normally rampant Connolly quiet. He was still going strong till the end. Connollys only score was a gimme from a misplaced free from Cafferkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Would love Cooper to win it.

Had a fantastic year and pulled the strings in every game he played, from his first game in the league as a sub vs Cork to the imperious display against Dublin in the Semi-Final.

He would be a truely worthy Footballer of the Year winner, but MDMA has been fantastic this year as well so couldn't begrudge him the win.

YPOTY was really a case of who ruled themselves out of a chance. There was a lightning start to the season for McCaffrey, Kilkenny and Mannion, but they tailed off towards the end of the season especially in the Semi-Final and Final (nothing against them, they are fantastic footballers on their day and All Ireland Champions but their inexperience was targetted). Cillian O'Connor missed half the season but still racked up an incredible 6-22 (I think). He's a massive talent, if he keeps the shoulder healthy. Will complete a YPOTY Hattrick adding to his (possibly) never acheived back-to-back hattricks in the Championship against London and Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

MDM will romp it.

Goes about his business with the minimum of fuss and often been the unsung hero. Super fit too even though he looks bolloxed the whole time!!
    But really impressed me over the past 12-18 months, i honestly didnt think he would turn out to be as good, he's improving big time.

AOS, what happened to him? Looked good against the small fry in Connaught but his fitness and lack of quality finds him out against the top boys.
    Was non-existent in the semi and Final. Bottler?? Possibly.

Kavanagh should be in the middle with MDM for the All-Stars. Quality player. Has it all, and wouldnt have been anonymous like AOS was against the Dubs thats for sure.

Cooper probably the runner up, class act most of the time, needs to cut out the diving and playing up to the ref though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

MDMA will be crowned footballer of the year and deservedly so. Probably did more than any dub in securing the title. Cooper and Keegan among others were also excellent but MDMA had more influence on the championship and should get the nod.

There are now so many people saying Mayo's SOS is better than his brother AOS that he can hardly be called underrated any more.

Like fcuk he would a serious talent who had an amazing underage career and a very impressive debut season in 2008 capped by a wonderful display against Cork he has flattered to deceive since.

cf Leinster final, AI semi-final 2012, club semi-final '09, club final '10, club finals '06, '08, league final '10 etc. Nothing underwhelming there.

In talent terms he is the hurling equivalent of Gooch; the latter has had the good fortune to be surrounded by a better supporting cast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

If it was me I'd give the nod to Paul Flynn and young player to Killian Clarke - I know a lot of people would say Cillian O'Connor but is their an age cut off for YPOTY? - it would be extraordinary in my mind to win 3 in a row.

He must be 21 by now??

MfMan wrote: »
    cf Leinster final, AI semi-final 2012, club semi-final '09, club final '10, club finals '06, '08, league final '10 etc. Nothing underwhelming there.

In talent terms he is the hurling equivalent of Gooch; the latter has had the good fortune to be surrounded by a better supporting cast.

Never questioned he's talent but look at your list, 4 club games and a league game and the only championship games are in 2012, yet you said he would be HOTY every year??

• Advertisement

Never questioned he's talent but look at your list, 4 club games and a league game and the only championship games are in 2012, yet you said he would be HOTY every year??

Not exactly. Roll originally posted, quite reasonably, that he would select Gooch as POTY on the basis that he's a joy to watch in action. In response, I said that if that were the (sole) criteria then Canning should be selected as the hurling equivalent as he is, and not just in my opinion, the most talented and 'easy to watch' hurler at present. (Even this year, poor by his standards, he still managed to produce something memorable in nearly every match that he plays in). Quite properly, POTY selections take more factors into account rather than just the above.

For what it's worth, my football POTY would also be Colm Boyle; particularly mighty in his last 3 games.

Advertisement