Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best match you've seen?

Options
  • 02-09-2013 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭

For me it would be

Football: 2005 All Ireland semi between Armagh and Tyrone

Hurling: 2010 Final, Tipp Kilkenny

Handball: Brady vs Moreno, World Final first game last year....

All were brilliant and of really high standard, I'd say I enjoyed the hurling the most.

EDIT- When I say best I mean both, excitement as a close contest, but also very high standard of play (in both defence and attack).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Joaquin223

Hurling: Galway Kilkenny Semi from 2005

Football: Yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Football: Dublin Mayo 2006. Just perfect. One of the most enjoyable games of any sport.
    As for being at a game, it would probably be Mayo Donegal QF a few weeks ago.

Hurling: Can't go wrong with the game mentioned in the op. Lar Corbett's hatrick is unforgettable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Posh Spice & Beckham ..a match made in Hello Magazine...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Kilkenny V Galway 2005, or maybe the Munster U-21 final in 2011.

Football...Kerry V Galway a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Joaquin223 wrote: »
    Hurling: Galway Kilkenny Semi from 2005

Football: Yesterday!

Yesterdays game was highly enjoyable and played at a great tempo but tbh the standard of defending was so so bad from both teams you couldn't describe it as the best game ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Kilkenny V Galway 2005, or maybe the Munster U-21 final in 2011.

Football...Kerry V Galway a few years back.

Probably the most overrated game in the history of sports
    Just cos it was played in a monsoon somehow made it good it seems

Yesterdays game was far better as was the 2006 Mayo v Dublin game

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Father Larry Duff

St Brigids vs Ballymun Kickhams All Ireland Club Football Final 2013. For St Brigids to be 8 points down after 10 minutes and still come back and win was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭shockframe

St Brigids vs Ballymun Kickhams All Ireland Club Football Final 2013. For St Brigids to be 8 points down after 10 minutes and still come back and win was unreal.

That game was tremendous fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Kerry v Dublin 1978 all Ireland final. Jaw dropping brilliance on show that day

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭sasol

Hurling : Galway V Clare All Ireland U21 Semi Final 2009
    Football : Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Best game attended. Waterford v cork Munster final 2004.

Best game watched on TV De La Salle v Clarinbridge all Ireland club semi final 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Cavan v Donegal 1992 - Ulster first round in Breffni park which ended a draw after some insane scoring at the end.
    (Donegal went on to win the replay and their first all Ireland)
    Same as yesterday, teams were constantly level and right to the end the result was completely up in the air. Some of the scores were really fantastic, Damien Reilly from the end line with a volley for a point to level it. The Donegal midfielder (Molloy I think) with a free from the ground from the halfway line over the bar.

Its games like that which give you the bug to religiously go to GAA matches up and down the country, which is probably the biggest thing I miss about no longer living in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It is always hard to pick a best game, having been at so many great ones, but 24 hours on and I am still buzzing about yesterday's match. The All-Ireland final in 1982, with that Seamus Darby goal that I saw from high in the Cusack Stand was brilliant. Many other matches too. As for Hurling, so many candidates, like Galway and Kilkenny in 2005 and Galway v Tipperary in 2010. Dramatic finishes like the 2004 Leinster Hurling final between Wexford and Kilkenny and Limerick being dramatically beaten by Offaly in 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Best games I've ever seen overall are:

Football: Mayo vs Dublin in 2006
    Hurling: Cork vs Waterford in 2004

This year's best games I have seen this year are:

Football: Yesterday or Derry vs Down
    Hurling: Cork vs Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

Derry v Antrim 2000 - drawn game
    Derry v Cavan 2013

Have never been a fan of hurling though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Football: Mayo Dublin in 2006 was fantastic. Same teams at semi final last year was good, heart in mouth stuff.

Don't watch hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

For excitement, probably the 2006 Mayo v Dublin semi-final and yesterday's match. For quality, perhaps the 2005 final between Tyrone and Kerry (not that the other two matches weren't high-quality either).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

Galway v Tipp 1987 All-Ire Hurling semi

Waterford v Cork 2004 Munster Hurling Final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

For me yesterday's match was superb, both Dublin and Kerry in my opinion pretty even until almost the last few minutes of injury time. Both teams should be proud of playing that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Football

In no particular order

Football
    Dublin v Kerry 2013
    Mayo v Dublin 2006
    Mayo v Dublin 2012
    Kerry v Tyrone 2008
    Kerry v Tyrone 2005

Hurling
    Waterford v Cork 2004
    Kilkenny v Tipp 2009
    Kilkenny v Tipp 2010
    Galway v Kilkenny 2005
    Kilkenny v Tipp 2009 (League Final)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

toadfly wrote: »
    Don't watch hurling.
    ONeill2013 wrote: »
    Have never been a fan of hurling though
    Does not compute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best two games I have ever seen have happened this year

1. Yesterday's game
    2. Cavan v Derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Best game I ever saw was Dublin vs Mayo 2006. Unbelievable atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 javseven

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    For me it would be

Football: 2005 All Ireland semi between Armagh and Tyrone

Hurling: 2010 Final, Tipp Kilkenny

Handball: Brady vs Moreno, World Final first game last year....

All were brilliant and of really high standard, I'd say I enjoyed the hurling the most.

EDIT- When I say best I mean both, excitement as a close contest, but also very high standard of play (in both defence and attack).

As posted by another, Kerry V Galway quarter final 2008 was just spectaciular stuff, the game was fairly good in the first half but the rain just bucketed down at half time ant the lights went on in Croke Park. I think for the first time. We expected dire football in the second half but how so mistaken we were. Probally one of the best displays of catch and kick by both teams that I have ever seen while the heavy rain never let up. Now to 2013, first round Ulster Derry V Down an equally good game in most respects. Good free flowing football with score being got from places the player should not have even bein trying. Right footers scoring off left and left footers off right, great great display.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Best game I ever saw was Dublin vs Mayo 2006. Unbelievable atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Sundays game was brilliant. It had everything and was in the balance similar to the Mayo/Dub game of 06. Because its Dubs/Kerry it will always be remembered.
    Tyrone and Kerry in 08 was another great game.

Hurling. The 09 and 10 hurling finals were both brilliant games, skill levels very high, high class scores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Hurling- That Tipp/KK final think it was 09

Best game I was at was KK Galway 05 semi

Football- Meath Westmeath a good 11/12 years ago now. Can't remember quality wise but superb excitement. Was QF I think Olly Murphy might have got a late goal? Westmeath were hammering them I think and it ended a draw

Mayo/Dublin 06 is best though for me!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Best football game I've seen was the first replay of the Meath - Kildare saga back in 1997. Fantastic game of football that looked to be over when Trevor Giles missed a second penalty in injury time to leave Kildare 3 points up but from the resulting sideline, Giles palmed it to the net to send it to extra time. Kildare went well ahead at half time in extra time, only for Jody Devine to steal the show in the second half.
    Bittersweet memories though as with the amount of effort put into those three games and the suspensions, we were hockeyed by Offaly in the final. I think if either of those teams won the first game of the saga, they would have won the All Ireland.
    Gerry91 wrote: »
    Football- Meath Westmeath a good 11/12 years ago now. Can't remember quality wise but superb excitement. Was QF I think Olly Murphy might have got a late goal? Westmeath were hammering them I think and it ended a draw
    2001 quarter final. Also up there for excitement alone (even though we were terrible in the first half). Westmeath were 9 points up at one stage and 7 up at half time. Thank God for Ollie Murphy.

Hurling wise, it has to be the Galway - Kilkenny semi final of 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

Cork Galway 2008 qualifier where donal og was sent off,game had everything

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Offaly Cork 2000 I remember being a good semi-final

Offaly were brilliant iirc against the reigning champs. Outclassed in subsequent final though

Advertisement