Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westworld (HBO/Sky Atlantic) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

I didn't notice any mention of how the hosts are powered. If a host goes on the run they are eventually going to need to recharge, presumably. That was one of the challenges faced by the sentient robots in Humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Holograph

Very similar composition to them so, as that of the robots in the Channel 4 show Humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

maybe Dolores is imagine her talks with Bernard and Bernard is the replacement for Arnold, a God?

In episode 4, when Logan and William had the shootout with the bad guys, Logan's gun did not work against one of them so he kicked him and stole his gun. He said Upgrade! Nice! - that looked like it was guest-on-guest violence.

• Advertisement

In episode 4, when Logan and William had the shootout with the bad guys, Logan's gun did not work against one of them so he kicked him and stole his gun. He said Upgrade! Nice! - that looked like it was guest-on-guest violence.

I could be wrong, but that to me just looked like he was out of bullets.

The way they are portraying Logan so far is as if he is an avid gamer in his spare time, and he is treating Westworld as his own 'real life' RPG. The way he 'looted' the guy's body and then says "Upgrade, nice!" in an excited way. Also, just before that, what led them to that saloon was Logan finding an "Easter Egg" which threw them off the 'main quest' that William wanted them to follow.

There are other examples of Logan the Gamer which struck me in previous episodes that I just can't remember well enough to put in this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Man in Black runs Delos is my guess why he is getting a free ride on so many things. Also how he has been there so many times seeing as it is alluded to cost a lot of money to be there in the park.

Man in Black runs Delos is my guess why he is getting a free ride on so many things. Also how he has been there so many times seeing as it is alluded to cost a lot of money to be there in the park.

Episode 4 spoilers:
    Another guest recognises MiB in this episode from the outside world. In the one sentence he says to MiB, we get more backstory to MiB than anything we've gotten so far, and I found it intriguing. The scene put an end to many MiB theories which are out there, but just made the character a whole lot more interesting IMO than him simply being Arnold, or William in a different timeline. I'll leave it until after the episode airs tonight to discuss further

If he runs Delos, then he would know all about the deeper level. He wouldn't have to go to all that effort he has expended so far to find clues.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

He just ran out of bullets so pistol whipped the bad guy instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭qwabercd

If he runs Delos, then he would know all about the deeper level. He wouldn't have to go to all that effort he has expended so far to find clues.

ford could be withholding this from Delos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ed Harris is fantastic in this as is Anthony Hopkins. His scene with the woman at the dinner table was creepy as hell

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm enjoying this show a lot! It's cool reading some of the theories on here. I hope they can come up with a better ending than lost though.

He would know it exists but not how to get to it otherwise what would be the point. Plus with the game changing and the park interiors too the way to the maze would only be found by tapping into the hosts past personae. My guess is the staff helping him are Delos employees who know whom he really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Another great episode.

Only thing I don't like is the Scandinavian actor, she's a bit rubbish and sounds like a female Tommy Wiseau.

What was the song on the piano near the start?! I'm disappointed that I didn't recognise it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've gone a bit cold on this. It just seems like a lot of effort and speculation. And I couldn't figure out what was playing in the piano this week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've gone a bit cold on this. It just seems like a lot of effort and speculation. And I couldn't figure out what was playing in the piano this week.

Best not to get drawn into the theorising. Like True Detective, I think this is more of an ideas show and viewers who see it as a puzzle to be solved will be left disappointed.

Piano music at the beginning is The Cure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Minor quibble, but the gunshots don't sound like they did from the old western films. They sound too modern, just doesn't sit right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Can't think of too much to say about Episode Four. It had it's moments - Ford making the world come to a complete stop; the final scene - but overall I found parts of it dragged somewhat, at least compared to the prevous three

Regarding the theorizing about the show, which seems to be as big an attraction as actually watching it: I'm trying not to get too bogged down by this; whatever will be, will be and I'm sure that, in time, things that seem like unsolvable mysteries will eventually become boring common knowledge to all of us.

But it is hard not to keep asking yourself questions about the World - the show keeps throwing out so many unanswered questions, that it's near impossible not to try and join the dots that should make up the whole picture. Right now it feels like they're piling on mystery after mystery because they can. I just hope that further down the road it doesn't completely destroy any narrative consistency they'll be tring to achieve, and that any check the show is writing now story-wise is one that they'll eventually be able to cash in on.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    Can't think of too much to say about Episode Four. It had it's moments - Ford making the world come to a complete stop; the final scene - but overall I found parts of it dragged somewhat, at least compared to the prevous three

Completely disagree. I thought it was the most interesting episode since episode 1. I dont remember it dragging at any point. Watched it again last night and even on the second viewing it held my attention all throughout. Loads of things happened. I'd nearly say more things happened in Episode 4 than in Eps 2 and 3 combined.
    But it is hard not to keep asking yourself questions about the World - the show keeps throwing out so many unanswered questions, that it's near impossible not to try and join the dots that should make up the whole picture. Right now it feels like they're piling on mystery after mystery because they can. I just hope that further down the road it doesn't completely destroy any narrative consistency they'll be tring to achieve, and that any check the show is writing now story-wise is one that they'll eventually be able to cash in on.

I kind of disagree with this as well. Sure there are lots of mysteries but they've explained quite a bit as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

What was the song on the piano near the start?! I'm disappointed that I didn't recognise it

"A Forest" by the Cure I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

It's flatlining for me. Another disappointing episode. Too much build up and talking in riddles.

Just need some serious progression or else it's in trouble of being put in the "stock pile to binge watch later" pile for me.

Sure there are lots of small positive elements, but barely enough right now.

First episode was a 10, second an 8, last 2 have been 6s or even 5s for me.

Thandie Newton had been scratching at her stomach for what, 2 episodes? Her realizing she's kind of immortal was the key scene, but it was the very last one. MiB had another step on his mystical gibberish like voyage that seems to follow zero logic.

It's just not entertaining enough right now. Next episode better step it up or I'm waiting for the binge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Am finding the fact that guests can't get "killed" really frustrating.

In any game (and obviously in real life) you make decisions which will keep you alive. Without any risk factor being involved the guests just seem to pi.ss about doing anything they want.

She is not immortal also laziness by the q/a restoration team or plot hole but she remembers being shot and goes looking for the bullet. The hosts are made to be as realistic as possible so they are programmed to feel pain and die but as they're robots they will have shut down safety mechanisms so they can be repaired and rebooted someone has IMO altered the reboot phase or it is corrupted in some hosts causing them to falter.

Mezcita wrote: »

In any game (and obviously in real life) you make decisions which will keep you alive. Without any risk factor being involved the guests just seem to pi.ss about doing anything they want.

I think you'll find guests can be killed. Arnold was killed in the park, though we don't know how yet. As that security guy said, "The only thing preventing all the hosts chopping everyone up is one line of code". Theres a reason why the security team are armed with real guns. We've already seen hosts malfunction. If one malfunctions enough... well. It would be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Mezcita wrote: »

When they enter the park they don’t seem to be shown the rules of not being able to die so we have seen new guests act accordingly, playing it safe. Guests also risk getting thrown in jail and wasting their very expensive time if they chose a ‘bad’ path or lose the run of themselves taking out hosts.

Like any theme park there’s also the obvious ongoing risk that something could go wrong with a robot and someone could get hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I also may have to stop reading threads about this show as this is going down the same route as similar shows that are mysterious, raising as many questions as they answer in a given episode.

I get some people don’t enjoy this type of show but if you don’t there’s no need to week on week watch it and complain that they haven’t suddenly changed and started giving answers to everything. At this point it looks to be a show that is not going to give instant gratification to all the mysteries (or may not even answer everything). If you cant deal with that then it’s probably best for you to get off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

You can definitely die in the park, just like any of our theme parks if you follow the rules and don't go out of your way to get hurt then the chances of death are very very slim.

Don't think there are too many questions (to me there are only 2 main questions) its only 4 episodes in people need to be more patient, sitback and enjoy it, I know I am.

I wonder is there a way that the deal with fights between guests?, say one guest mistakes another for a host and hits or stabs them, It seems like it could happen quiet easily.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

That episode absolutely bored the hell out of me and I'm actually struggling to watch the series at this stage. The acting is incredibly hammy at times, especially by the actor playing the stag do bloke's mate. To me it's getting worse by the episode. I can't see how they'll stretch this out for season after season at this stage, what a waste of money. I'm going to stick it out now for this series if I can, however.

Advertisement